Choppers is offline Associate Member

Can Protein turn to fat?

I'm puzzled. I was doing some reading online and some said that there was no mechanism for Protein to turn to fat and others said it was possible saying all excess calories get turned to fat.

Can anyone shed some light on this one?

thanks

seriousmass is offline Banned
    if your body isn't using the protein to build muscle, then yes, it is stored as fat.

my rule of thumb is: eat 1.5g of protein x (your body weight). And workout hard.

T-MOS is offline Educate B4 You Medicate~HOF~RIP Our Brother~
    ^^ agreed.

after you eat, the body starts digesting for fuel. Whatever the body can't use within a three hour period (approx) then it has to decide to either store what is left as fat or just expel it from the body as waste.

that is why we say to eat 6 meals a day. one evey 3 hours. If the body knows its getting food every 3 hours, it has NO reason to store extra fat

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by Choppers View Post
    I'm puzzled. I was doing some reading online and some said that there was no mechanism for Protein to turn to fat and others said it was possible saying all excess calories get turned to fat.

thanks
    it is possible for excess calories from protein to be STORED as fat, but it is impossible for muscle(which is composed of amino acids) to be turned into fat

SuperLift is offline Senior Member
    absolutely! An excess of protein is turned into "stored energy" Which is better known as FAT!!

ckyass is offline Associate Member

thanks
    Really? Protein cant turn to fat? Whoever said that has well hmm...NO knowledge what so ever on how the human body works lol. If that was true i could lay in bed all day and consume 40oz of grilled chicken every hour and not get fat? Nope....lol i'd be one fat ass

IM708 is offline AR's Supplement Guru

thanks
    Yes it turns into fat.

Thread Information