IronMonkey is offline Junior Member

Hypoglycemic/Hyperinsulemic can't lose weight, can you help???

My wife is hypoglycemic AND hyperinsulemic (according to doctors), and when we first met, she was about 170 (she's 5'9"). At this time, she was undiagnosed and at one point, she got poison ivy and had to be put on prednisone for 6 weeks and she blew up to 205. Eventually, after going from doctor to doctor telling her the weight gain is "stress-related", she found a doc who did the right tests and found her to be hypoglycemic/hyperinsulemic. They put her on an Atkins-like diet (no carbs 1st 2 weeks, followed by <20/day indefinitely). Within 3 months time, she dropped from 205 to 150.

Fast forward to today (3 years later). She's been struggling with getting the last bit of weight that she's wanting off (she's wanting to be about 135-140, not because of the number, but this was her ideal weight before she became hypoglycemic/hyperinsulemic). Since I was about to try a cyclic ketogenic diet myself for the first time, I invited her to do the same. We're 4 weeks into the diet, and I've chiseled away at what little bodyfat I've been carrying; however, my wife has put on 10 lbs and is now 160!

She's quite upset, and she's going back to her older diet, but are there any diet experts here that might be able to help my wife figure out how she can one day see 135-140 lbs again???

CLIFFS: Wife is hypoglycemic/hyperinsulemic. Tried CKD for 4 weeks, but GAINED 10 lbs! She needs any diet expert's help with getting back down to goal weight of 135-140. Can anyone help???

ChuckLee is offline Scammer
    Can you write down what she was exactly eating while on keto?

Is she doing any cardio to help fat go away?

Certainly. Yes, she's been lifting weights 3x a day, and a combo of either running 45 mins AND/OR riding her horses for 45-60 minutes 5x a day.

While on keto she was trying to take in about 1500-1600 cals, and her diet consisted of

Meal 1
    1 can of tuna, 2 tbsp mayo, 1 hardboiled egg
    2 scrambled eggs

Meal 2
    1 can tuna, 2 tbsp mayo, 1 hardboiled egg
    1 small salad w/o dressing

Snack (one of the following):
    14 slices of pepperoni (snack)
    14 small, hard cheese cubes

Meal 4
    1 4oz. portion of boneless/skinless chicken breast

For dinner, it would be any one of the following:
    1 6 oz. serving of Beef Roast
    2 3 oz. Hamburger patties, 2 slices cheese
    1 12 oz. can of Chicken Breast, 2 hardboiled eggs, 3 tbsp mayo

Also, if it matters, she would drink 2 12 oz. cans of Diet Coke w/ Splenda, and 1-2 20 oz. bottles of Diet Green Tea. We know she was in ketosis 6 days a week (we used the ketone strips to check daily), and on her carb day, she made sure to stay away from fructose and kept her fat intake reasonably low. Thanks for any help you can offer. She's been struggling for 3 years now to reach her goal weight, and nothing seems to work, to the effect that would help her reach her ultimate goal...

Can anyone direct me to a member or site who might be able to help my wife??

biohaz18769 is offline New Member
    Hi IronMonkey,

Not sure if you're still checking this thread, but I have someone that can help your wife with this.

Give coach Eric LeClair with Team CrossFit Elite Fitness Academy a call. His number is 626 437 8739. He will very likely point you in the direction of Dr. Barry Sear's "The Zone" or the Paleolithic diet.

Hope this helps.

Pablo Cordova

Thread Information