nguadagno is offline Associate Member

What to eat when not eating carbs?

okay so from what i understand, your only supposed to eat carbs when you wake up (i have 1/2 cup of oatmeal with banana and cinnamon measured uncooked) and then with your PWO and PPWO, now when im not eating that, im normally eating broccoli with my protein source, is that okay? or should i be eating something else, i feel like brocolli isnt a good source of calories, because im getting stronger and more lean, but im not gaining any weight, i definitely look more cut up and bigger, but i dont weigh any more and its discouraging especially when begginers should be gaining 1/1.5 lbs per week

joshh is offline Associate Member
    What are your goals? If its bulking then you should be eating carbs all throughout the day

well i want to bulk up i certainly do not want to lose weight or get that cut up right now, i just want to get bigger hahaha dont we all though

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    There's no rule that says you're only "supposed" to eat carbs at the times you stated. Alot of people do this because:

a) insulin sensitivity is heightened after a fast (sleeping all night), so 1st meal of the day is a good time to consume carbs

b) pre-workout - many people are able to lift with greater intensity when they fuel their workout

c) post-workout - nutrient uptake after an intense workout is heightened, and carbs will cause your body to release more insulin, which in turn shuttles nutrients into your cells, creating an anabolic environment.

This doesn't mean carbs are bad any other time. It all depends on your goals, and how your body reacts to carbs. I know that when I go about 200g/day or so, I get bloated and gassy. I don't generally do well on a high carb diet, so I do keep them focused around my workout window.

Broccoli/greens are great to eat with your proteins during meals without starchy carbs (AND with). Greens are not a substantial source of calories as you mentioned, but that's not the point of eating them. What they DO provide is tons of fiber (filling and regulates your bowels) and all kinds of vitamins, anti-oxidants and nutrients.

So what haven't we talked about yet? Fats! That's your other macronutrient that shouldn't be forgotten or ignored. An example of a great meal without starchy carbs would be something like:

6oz chicken breast
    2 cups broccoli
    1tbsp extra virgin olive oil (drizzled over the broccoli)

or

6oz salmon (protein with healthy fats already present)
    2 cups spinach

or

6oz turkey breast
    2 cups asparagus
    1oz slivered almonds

I basically have either a starchy carb or healthy fat in every meal.

Hope this helps.

i try to get in my essential fats, i eat a 1/4 cup of walnuts before night, or atleast try to from now on, i hate them and i gag like all hell but i just try to force them down, and i eat lots of salmon, i tend to eat all meals after my post workout with greens, mostly broccoli with soy sauce, idk how good that is for you, but im gonna try the broccoli with the virgin olive oil

thank you for the advice, its greatly appreciated

i just feel like in order to fully feel the effects of a diet it takes like a good 2 or 3 weeks to see results and testing out a high carb diet for 3 weeks just to realize its shitty for me is so tedious haha

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    There's no rule that says you're only "supposed" to eat carbs at the times you stated. Alot of people do this because:

a) insulin sensitivity is heightened after a fast (sleeping all night), so 1st meal of the day is a good time to consume carbs

b) pre-workout - many people are able to lift with greater intensity when they fuel their workout

c) post-workout - nutrient uptake after an intense workout is heightened, and carbs will cause your body to release more insulin, which in turn shuttles nutrients into your cells, creating an anabolic environment.

This doesn't mean carbs are bad any other time. It all depends on your goals, and how your body reacts to carbs. I know that when I go about 200g/day or so, I get bloated and gassy. I don't generally do well on a high carb diet, so I do keep them focused around my workout window.

Broccoli/greens are great to eat with your proteins during meals without starchy carbs (AND with). Greens are not a substantial source of calories as you mentioned, but that's not the point of eating them. What they DO provide is tons of fiber (filling and regulates your bowels) and all kinds of vitamins, anti-oxidants and nutrients.

So what haven't we talked about yet? Fats! That's your other macronutrient that shouldn't be forgotten or ignored. An example of a great meal without starchy carbs would be something like:

6oz chicken breast
    2 cups broccoli
    1tbsp extra virgin olive oil (drizzled over the broccoli)

or

6oz salmon (protein with healthy fats already present)
    2 cups spinach

or

6oz turkey breast
    2 cups asparagus
    1oz slivered almonds

I basically have either a starchy carb or healthy fat in every meal.

Hope this helps.
    Great post.

Quote Originally Posted by nguadagno View Post
    i try to get in my essential fats, i eat a 1/4 cup of walnuts before night, or atleast try to from now on, i hate them and i gag like all hell but i just try to force them down, and i eat lots of salmon, i tend to eat all meals after my post workout with greens, mostly broccoli with soy sauce, idk how good that is for you, but im gonna try the broccoli with the virgin olive oil
    You do not have to eat something you hate, you always replace it with an alternative. Try raw almonds instead.

I am dieting as summer approaches so this means cutting down the carbs for me. I just ate the last meal of the day (21.30 pm): 10 oz. extra lean grilled tenderloin with a big bowl of broccoli, cauliflower and red bell peppers with 2 tbs of drizzled EVOO. It was a quite satisfactory meal and veggies tasted great with the EVOO drizzled all over.

the only thing that sucks about me i hate every form of nut, which is where most of all the essential fats are from which blows, but i force myself to eat them anyway, like broccoli, ive come to realize that your body will adjust to whatever you force it to eat, i never ate much, now i chow down all the time, i hated broccoli, i forced myself to eat it, and now i love it, so maybe that'll happen with the almonds or walnuts, there just so god damn dry

Quote Originally Posted by nguadagno View Post
    the only thing that sucks about me i hate every form of nut, which is where most of all the essential fats are from which blows, but i force myself to eat them anyway, like broccoli, ive come to realize that your body will adjust to whatever you force it to eat, i never ate much, now i chow down all the time, i hated broccoli, i forced myself to eat it, and now i love it, so maybe that'll happen with the almonds or walnuts, there just so god damn dry
    nuts aren't the only 'healthy fat' game in town. What about fish oils? Avacado? Nut butters? Olive oil? Coconut oil? The list is endless...

Quote Originally Posted by Turkish Juicer View Post
    Great post.
    Thanks brotha, missed this earlier.

so if i were to put olive oil on most of my foods i could cut out all those shitty nuts thank the lord

dirtybrd is offline Associate Member
    Or take fish oil pills with meals

Quote Originally Posted by dirtybrd View Post
    Or take fish oil pills with meals
    I would do this ^^ before olive oil (nothing wrong with EVOO though).

i dont even know what EVOO is hahah

jtuner77 is offline Member
    Extra Virgin Olive Oil=EVOO

ah i see, thank you for that, i used to eat like mashed yams at every single meal, but i ran out and then i just stopped making them, but those used to be my major carb source

Yam/sweet potato are a solid carb source.

i used to eat them at every meal, but then i stopped, and now i eat a lot of broccoli and asparagus at every meal, besides breakfast, but im gonna go back and eat some more carbs on the day, along with the fibrous foods together, hopefully ill see some good results, definitely been getting leaner though, which isnt exactly what ive been looking for but hey, its summer, cant really complain, im 19 sooo yeah hahah

Yams may be a great source of complex CHO but I would particularly stay away from them as for the last meal of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Turkish Juicer View Post
    Yams may be a great source of complex CHO but I would particularly stay away from them as for the last meal of the day.
    Agreed... i'd go further to say this about all starchy carbs, but that's just me. If you're going to add more starchy carbs in your diet, I think you'd be best to keep them focused around your work, mainly pre/pwo.

what about on non-workout days, like sometimes ill go two days in a row without working out, and then five days on, or two days off and then 3 days on one day off two days on, so on and so on, cause like right about now, my sisters getting married sunday and im so busy helping i havent been able to go to the gym, so days like today, what should i be eating, still eat the carbs at those usual times?

Thread Information