Thread: Elbow Pain

Pumpinstein is offline New Member

Elbow Pain

Hello guys! Newbie here, recently started training again after a 1 yr. layoff. Since being out of the gym my golf swing posed a problem in my right elbow.Any time I try an exercise such as reverse curls, I can feel it pretty good from my elbow down to about the center of my forearm. It seems when I get a pump it relieves the pain but I was wondering if anyone else (and I'm sure there is) has dealt with this to strengthen the tendon or whatever is causing the pain. I just added reverse curls to my workout due to small forearms and hope it'll help increase size and diminish the pain.

JrsyBerutich is offline New Member
    I get a similar pain when i do skull crushers, but if i do them really slow the pain lessens. Also i do a two handed tricept extension which doesn't seem tobother me at all ( and i'm using heavy weight).

If you are trying to get your forarms stronger try doing wrist curls and reverse wrist curls.

Hope I could help

Thanks for the input. And I know what you mean about the crushers, they don't bother me as bad now but before I layed off it would kill my elbow doing them.

bigjohnr is offline Associate Member
    If it hurts don't do it! Do wrist curls like Jrsyberitocuh suggested. If you get pain stay away from it for a while and try again at a later date to see if it still hurts. Not getting hurt is one of the keys to getting in shape. And if you want to do this when you are older it is a must.
    Good luck and happy pumping!!!

Thanks for the advice bros. I'll put it to use

Atlas of Anatomy is offline New Member
    I disagree with bigjohnr. I wouldn't say stay away from it, rather everything in moderation. The trick is to determine whether you have inujured something, or if it is just getting back into the swing of things. Keep the weight rediculously light (if you feel that it isn't doing a thing, then you have the right weight) and stick with that for a while. If the pain worsens, or doesn't get any better using lighter weight then you probably have a true injury and then the better course would be to put the weights down.

bigjohnr is offline Associate Member
    I agree with atlas of anatomy to a degree. If you go light and get blood into the area without pain that may be good and help with the healing. But if it really hurts do exercises to work around it if you can. That is what the top athletes do and that is the beauty or wieght training because you can work around an injury. that is my 2 cents for what it is worth.

thefantom1 is offline New Member
    Sounds like Tennis Elbow... buy one of these and take an anti-inflamatory...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...261214-9060611 let me know if it relieves the pain...

Axe
    Axe is offline New Member
    yeah, sounds like tennis elbow to me which is tendon inflammation. Best thing is to see an orthopedist who can tell. You can use a strap that you put on the forearm muscle which shortens the muscle and reduces the strain on the tendon that attaches to the elbow. This is a chronic condition which requires rest, anti-inflammatories and, if it doesn't go away, a cortisone shot. I still exercise with it but if it really gets painful, you've got to stop or you'll end up with a shot.

BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Flaxseed and fish oil made my pains go away, well most of them!

powerlifter is offline Anabolic Member
    Deca and some NSAIDS Bro - Ice and some compresssion

StayJuicen34 is offline Associate Member
    I had the same problem and my trainer told me that is was do to the fact taht when I was doin curls I did to much weight which caused me to rock my writs and pot strain on the tendon that runs down the bone in your forearm, it is similar tio shine splints, I was advised to lower the weight I was training with use wrist wraps and for the pain take anti-inflamintories. Hope that helps

Thread Information