Sharky72 is offline Associate Member

arthritis in the knees/squats

Hey guys,
    Just found out there is arthritis under both knees, thats all good, but I'm wondering if I have to leave squats out of my leg routine? Its at the point(the arthritis) where I have trouble in just squatting at any time of the day.
    I'm thinking about really just concentrating on my hamstrings for a while, I have always trained my quads really hard but, I have always neglected my hamstrings. Thus, your hamstring being the larger muscle in your leg, would it not give your leg a larger appearance? And would it increase overall strength in the legs for my heavier days squatting in the future?

Thanks,
    Sharky

johnsomebody is offline Senior Member
    Well, they always say you need to work both to help your joints, though I'm not sure exactly why, so it may help. As it is it's kinda like working your tris and not your bis.

You can't do leg presses instead of squats?

You might get more response over in the workout questions section, by the way.

woodiechopper is offline Associate Member
    I've got hip arthritis. Take glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM. I would not give up on the squats and certainly not go for one of an opposing set of muscles. The key with arthritis is maintaining the range of motion and keeping strong muscles around the joint to help take the load off. Of course, if a squat actually puts you in pain (after the glucosamine works its magic in 2-3 months), then find something else like leg press or hack squat (more controllable).

dtr98 is offline Member
    47yrs, had my knee scoped twice now have 3 bone spurs around same knee, don't do squats any more, i got myself a leg press and have no problems doing quads now, give those a try

powerlifter is offline Anabolic Member
    sour cherries have anti-inflammatory properties

Dowstrategy is offline New Member

Arthritis

I am 54 year old ex marine. I have a very arthritic knee from damage done long ago in the service of Uncle Sam. I recommend you consider the use of vioxx or celebrex. I take 25mg vioxx and use Glucosimine Chondrotin and it really is very effective. I use the DC brand of Glucosimine recommended to me by my othopedic doc. I do leg presses now instead of squats with no problem.

ttuPrincess Guest
    I have arthritis in my right knee (dislocated knee cap in high school.. tore EVERYTHING in it as a result I have no cartilage left) and still do squats.. ass to calf squats to be exact and yes it can be painful at times, but squats are actually one of my favorite exercises

I take glucosamine everyday aswell

dtr98 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dowstrategy
    I am 54 year old ex marine. I have a very arthritic knee from damage done long ago in the service of Uncle Sam. I recommend you consider the use of vioxx or celebrex. I take 25mg vioxx and use Glucosimine Chondrotin and it really is very effective. I use the DC brand of Glucosimine recommended to me by my othopedic doc. I do leg presses now instead of squats with no problem.
    what's the dc brand?? tried vioxx and celebrex don't work for me

you can also try bextra -- some people just take better to different NSAID. +

Dowstrategy is offline New Member
    DC brand is bought at WalMart $25 bottle lasts a little over a month. Lab tested as to contents. My doc told me that there was some controversy over Glucosamine content and there was a lot of off brand stuff that did not really have a lot. The real stuff is a little expensive. By the way, he also told me it only works for about 40% of the people who try it. Minimum of 6 weeks to try it and quit if no results by then. My orthopedic doc is a cool guy who lifts and uses a little juice, and was a doc for the US olympic team.

Yeah, consumer reports did something about the variation in quality. CosaminDS is supposed to be pretty good. I'd say go longer than 6 weeks. I was getting pain fairly often and after about 6 months I just didn't notice it any more. I think you have to try it for longer. Clinical studies are pretty solid on its effectiveness - some rate it more effective than any kind of painkiller.

znak is offline Senior Member
    Take glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM. Do it for a month. Do some squats. See how you feel. Try again a month later.

Check your form and lower the weight.

If your form is good and it hurts at a lower weight after six months of taking glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM, do leg presses and leg extensions.

Form, correct weight for full range of motion and glucosamine/chondroitin are the answers.

Big_Diesel is offline Associate Member
    Throw in some Deca if you want to Lube those joints real good. And i would start using the leg press unless you compete or are a power lifter.

Thread Information