bigjohnr is offline Associate Member

Insulin for the over 40 crowd???

Hey guys, I am curios if any of you over 40 guys or gals are using insulin . I can get it without a script if I get humalin, novolin or reli-on in my state. can not get humalog which seems to be the slin of choice and my source doesn't carry humalog.
    anyway anyone using and how are results and risks?
    What type are you using?
    Thanks
    Last edited by bigjohnr; 09-18-2004 at 05:42 PM.

Atlas of Anatomy is offline New Member

Exclamation

Insulin is one of the few medications out there that should NEVER require a prescription to get (one of the stipulations by its discoverers!). If you are paying for it through insurance, your insurance company may require a script, but never if paying by cash.
    I have personally looked at using insulin, but haven't seen any good studies, or heard any good anecdotal reports that would make me try it.
    The biggest risk with insulin is of course hypoglycemia (blood sugar too low). Without sugar, you can fry your brain (eg. coma, death).
    If you stick with the "regular" insulins (Novulin) you can experiment with dosages because it acts fast, and finishes fast. Longer acting insulins "NPH" have an immediate phase and a late phase which if you are not careful can make your sugar bottom out several hours after your injection, and if you happen to be sleeping when this hits you may get into trouble.
    In my opinion, I'd stick with more tried and true gear. If you do decide to give it a try, keep me in the loop. I'd love to hear your experience.

I have used the humalin R for one week now. Wow my pumps have been incredible, they almost hurt and I got a lot of comments on how I look this week. It seems balancing the diet is important to avoid hypo and to not get fat. Curious to see how week two is.

Atlas of Anatomy is offline New Member

Exclamation Insulin

How many units you using right now?

today is the first day of week 2, I use 8 IU's today. I am not going to go past 10 and maybe not that high.

Thread Information