iron4life79 is offline Retired Moderator

ever feel like...............

ok bros,
    lets get this thing started........ever feel like your just going through the motions? i mean, youre liftin and eatin and sleepin etc.---but something is just weighin on you? if this has happened to you, please respond, and tell me how you handled it. i know everyday things weigh on all of us, im looking for remedies, meaning how you dealt with whatever was in your way............

peace bb79

Canes4Ever is offline Banned

Re: ever feel like...............

Originally posted by barbells79
    ok bros,
    lets get this thing started........ever feel like your just going through the motions? i mean, youre liftin and eatin and sleepin etc.---but something is just weighin on you? if this has happened to you, please respond, and tell me how you handled it. i know everyday things weigh on all of us, im looking for remedies, meaning how you dealt with whatever was in your way............

peace bb79
    Thanks for posting BB79 in the over 30 forum !

Yes, has happened to me many times, and seems to happen the day after leg day. Maybe it's I hit them hard and then the next day I am just BLAH about going to the gym. I don't think it's DOMS as I usually don't get them, but I do feel some joint tenderness and maybe that feeling when you get up in the morning just makes it all seem more difficult to get to the gym.

Does anyone else feel this joint stiffness in the mornings or sometimes I feel it when the weather changes. Could it be arthritis?

ironmike7000 is offline Associate Member
    Many times I have gotten into a rut where all it seemed I was doing was going through the motions. So what I do is make some kind of short term goal. For example...increase my bench or squat in a 6 to 8 week period. Or trim some bodyfat off for summer. Right now I'm trying to get more definition for summer. Even though some of us are getting older we still want to look good! So my suggestion would be to set up some kind of short term goal for yourself.

Originally posted by ironmike7000
    Many times I have gotten into a rut where all it seemed I was doing was going through the motions. So what I do is make some kind of short term goal. For example...increase my bench or squat in a 6 to 8 week period. Or trim some bodyfat off for summer. Right now I'm trying to get more definition for summer. Even though some of us are getting older we still want to look good! So my suggestion would be to set up some kind of short term goal for yourself.
    Good suggestion Mike. I have noticed I also tend to change my routines around more often than the younger brothers. I tend to cycle my routines every 8 weeks.

Jack87 is offline Retired Vet

Re: ever feel like...............

Anytime I start felling like I'm in a rut usually a little time away like a weekend at the beach or in the mountains will work wonders... It all depends if you have an idea of what's weighing on you... Personal, Professional it all depends... Usually for me it's working 60 to 70 hours a week and not having enough time for myself... Enough time for the gym or for family and friends... I really hate when my job keeps me out of the gym... That usually starts the whole feeling of I got to much shit going on and I need a break for a few days... A little time to reflect is usually all I need...

ok bros,

peace bb79

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    Barbells, I feel you pain bruther.. what I do is take a day or two off, like a weekend just like buff suggested. Helps me out alot. It is a proven fact, that your body will get tired mentally and physically with rigerous exercises, and your body (mentally and physically) need a break. Seems to work for me my friend, give it a try. Hell take off longer, it won't hurt, and I usually feel much stonger when I get back in the gym to lift again, and have a better mental attitude.

bortort is offline Associate Member
    I agree with buff, when I get down or in a rut. Not feeling like I'm doing any good ect. I get away from the gym. Do something for yourself that you normally wouldn't. Even if I don't have time to leave town. I grab my wife and spend the weekend at the local hotel. We don't travel more the 5 miles away, but nobody nows where we are, we get room service, pool,spa. It just breaks up my boring life of work/eat/gym/sleep.

Bert2 is offline Female Member
    I found myself in a rut since last fall. My job is extremely stressful and our department is really understaffed so I'm working late everyday. Anyway, I was using this as my excuse not to go to the gym and to eat properly (you know...the "I'm really stressed so this chocolate bar will make me feel better" attitude! ). I also wasn't sleeping well, up 3 or 4 time every night. I didn't start to feel better until I sat down to take a good look at myself and see where I was headed if I didn't make changes. For me it was getting back in the gym on a regular basis. I set some short term goals because for me they are much more attainable if I see results quicker...keeps me motivated to go the the next level. I've been back in my routine now for a couple of months and I'm feeling much better! I'm able to deal with the stress at work, I've been eating well, my workouts have improved and I've lost 15lbs!! Sometimes you just need to re-assess everything that's going on in your life and set your priorities (they change as we get older ). But a nice weekend away always helps, too!!
    It's supposed to be hard! If it was easy, everyone would do it! It's the "hard" that makes it great!

bex
    bex is offline Banned
    I find the best way for me is to leave the training for a week and just veg out and eat crap and have a few beers.After that i feel so guilty i hit the gym with vengeance....

ironmike7000 is offline Associate Member
    I agree with bortort that getting away for the weekend can do wonders for you. My wife and I try to get away a couple times a year and I always feel better afterwards. You can forget about the little things that are bothering you. Also congratulations to Bert for losing 15 lbs. thats a great accomplishment!

Mighty Joe is offline Anabolic Member
    I think this forum is gonna do fine!

The most interesting thing about us over 30 folks is that our lives are a bit more time sensitive! Thats not a flame to the younger bros...but for this group that may be married, with mortgages, kids and bills......and we still get to gym to get it done!

We are something special!

Originally posted by bortort
    I agree with buff, when I get down or in a rut. Not feeling like I'm doing any good ect. I get away from the gym. Do something for yourself that you normally wouldn't. Even if I don't have time to leave town. I grab my wife and spend the weekend at the local hotel. We don't travel more the 5 miles away, but nobody nows where we are, we get room service, pool,spa. It just breaks up my boring life of work/eat/gym/sleep.
    Bortort, I myself have used this with my ex-partner. We'd just go off for a day or two and come back refreshed.

Originally posted by ironmike7000
    I agree with bortort that getting away for the weekend can do wonders for you. My wife and I try to get away a couple times a year and I always feel better afterwards. You can forget about the little things that are bothering you. Also congratulations to Bert for losing 15 lbs. thats a great accomplishment!
    Bert I'm with Mike, great work, you go girl !

Originally posted by Mighty Joe
    That we are MJ !

Thanks for everyone posting in the new forum. Lets make this one work for us as well as the other foums do.

I'm actually glad now that the youngin's are able to read this and learn.

Ironweb is offline Member
    I believe this happens with anything you do. It is the same shit different day mind set. This is when it is time to change up a routine or call in sick to work and give yourself a me day. Having 2 kids I do not get too many of those days.

This is gonna be a good forum as MJ said.

Chyna350 is offline Female Member
    These are all great ideas. some days i go to the gym and when I leave it's like "man, that was a half assed work out", and I get verypissed off with myself. I like the short term goals theory, good call IronMike. As to the get aways, bummer, I work 6 nights a week. Maybe I'll just take myself to the pictures and watch Queen of the Damned.
    Cheers Chyna

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    Rut is common, i usually do one of the following, back off training a bit, until i feel better or deal with whatever the problem is. Then i seem to be able to re-focus and go hard again, or change routine up big time, or change gyms done that 2x now, it all helps.

thanks to everyone who responded. all the ideas and actual things you all do are great ideas. i myself will try and incorporate a few of these into my training lifestyle. sometimes i just feel burnt out, and these suggestions will help me greatly. anyone else with ideas, feel free to post them, we are all listening.................nice to see the female contingent posting on this as well.............thank you ladies.

peace bb79

Barbells79 and everyone else, Kaz and I have been suggesting something on the Anger Management thread that also can help with the *rut* feeling that BB79 is talking about.

Medatation

Cleansing and clearing your mind and Chakras, aligning them and having some quiet time can help you get motivated again. It works wonder folks, especially if combined with Yoga.

canes,
    i have done some yoga with my wife at the gym we belong to. and youre right, it helped a lot when i went regularly. i cant take the credit for this find though, it was m.o.d. who suggested i try it. i guess i will have to go back for a while...........

peace bb79

canes,
    i have done some yoga with my wife at the gym we belong to. and youre right, it helped a lot when i went regularly. i cant take the credit for this find though, it was m.o.d. who suggested i try it. i guess i will have to go back for a while...........

peace bb79
    BB79 good deal, you and the wife will enjoy it a lot. Yoga can be a great thing for couples to do together....can even be sensual and stimulating

Originally posted by Canes4Ever

BB79 good deal, you and the wife will enjoy it a lot. Yoga can be a great thing for couples to do together....can even be sensual and stimulating

i can always use more of that...............

peace bb79

Tarzan is offline Associate Member
    Mighty Joe:

I got to agree with you man. I just can't seem to find enough time to do everything. This is one thing I miss about being young with few comitments and lots of free time. No flame to the young and hard working, but you know what I mean

Kaz
    Kaz is offline Member
    funny this thread should pop up now!

im IN that rut right now! i was made redundant at christmass and of course im having trouble getting another job despite being bloody good at what i do!

im not on a cycle right now, and im getting pretty bored sitting at home all day doing nothing - i find my training suffers badly when this happens so i just took a week off training and didnt even look at the equipment!

i have to say im feeling pretty motivated right now - i can think of an excercise, any body part, any routine, and i can start to sweat just thinking about it!! i will hit the iron again in a day or so and i think i will be feeling and working better than ever!

maybe its just the time off thats needed to lift from the rut! im sure when you are stressed over something you are more likely to suffer from that "burn out" we all have to avoid

Mighty Joe is offline Anabolic Member
    Originally posted by Kaz
    funny this thread should pop up now!

im IN that rut right now! i was made redundant at christmass and of course im having trouble getting another job despite being bloody good at what i do!

im not on a cycle right now, and im getting pretty bored sitting at home all day doing nothing - i find my training suffers badly when this happens so i just took a week off training and didnt even look at the equipment!

i have to say im feeling pretty motivated right now - i can think of an excercise, any body part, any routine, and i can start to sweat just thinking about it!! i will hit the iron again in a day or so and i think i will be feeling and working better than ever!

maybe its just the time off thats needed to lift from the rut! im sure when you are stressed over something you are more likely to suffer from that "burn out" we all have to avoid
    Kaz, My Brutha, I hear ya bro!
    Life will always have its ups and downs and I've had my share.

I used to be fighter a number of years ago and I'll never forget the words of a close friend of mine during one such moment and I'll gladly pass it on to you because it surely applies to you too. He said when you're out in the world even at the workplace...remember their are still some undeniable Warriors left in the world like you! so..."Don't forget you know how to FIGHT"
    When I heard those words it just fired me up! Yup they got my job, but ain't nobody gonna kick my ass!

Good Luck! Your brutha MJ

man,
    this forum is gonna be where i hang out if this keeps up. ive gotten a lot of informative and very uplifting ideas from everyone. im gonna take a week off before i start my cycle, and maybe even go away with the wife for a few days. thanks again to all of you who told your stories, and believe me, im very appreciative for all. we will see how much better i feel when my little getaway is over.
    this over thirty forum rocks...............

peace bb79

Kaz
    Kaz is offline Member
    thanks MJ - yeh i know i can fight and no one is gonna kick my ass, but you are right, sometimes we all need to be reminded of that.

barbells is right - this will be an excellent forum

Everyone should thank Jason and Mrs T.

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    I like the idea of other activities, when I am in a rut. I take a break but do something else that is active. I know it is hard to find the time but I will ride my bike in the evenings for a week (nothing hard core just around town and enjoy it) or call up some friends for tennis, or a good hike. Great Thread..

El Kabong is offline New Member
    yeah, that just happened to me. My training partner kicked me out of the gym for a week and it did wonders.

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod
    This is a typical problem that has everyone has been faced with reguardless of their age. It has nothing to do with drive and willness to train, we just seem to fall into a rut sometimes. This is when a good workout partner is worth their weight in gold. If this is not an option you can try working out in a different gym for a week or two. Some times just working out in a different gyme a couple of times a week can do the trick. New atmosphere, people, ect. Try changeing up the routine, time you train or your diet. Sometimes even a good ol Rocky movie can work wonders in ,motivation. It may sound like bunk, but hey it's worked for me at one time or another.
    Tobey

well,
    its been almost 3 weeks since i started this thread, and i took a few of the suggestions posted here and ran with them. I FEEL GREAT. all the little aches and pains i was carryin are pretty much gone(i took a full week off before my cycle).
    me and the wife are getting along well(we went away for a couple days..... ).
    im now a week into my cycle, and back in the gym, and i cant believe the difference these little things have made in my training routine, as well as in my quality of life in general.
    i want to thank all of you for posting your ideas here, and bearing your souls so to speak, its all very much appreciated. i hope this helps someone else as well.................

peace bb79

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    Originally posted by Mighty Joe

The most interesting thing about us over 30 folks is that our lives are a bit more time sensitive! Thats not a flame to the younger bros...but for this group that may be married, with mortgages, kids and bills......and we still get to gym to get it done!

Couldn't be more of the truth, espeically me being 30ish and all...

Thread Information