bex
    bex is offline Banned

Do you worry?????

How many of you old people worry about getting old and watching the young ones take over ...It worries me when my 14 year old son is taller than me and has started to fill out..(5.10 All ready And 130LB)

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    I think to much about the effects of aging. Noticing how I can't do everything I used to be able to just a few years ago. Easier to sprain everything. In your 20's you are invincible. Once you turn thirty there is almost an immediate realization that you have degenerated, if even slightly, and that you are mortal and will be one of those old people sooner that you think. Someone in there twenties is not worried about anything, then you turn 30 and realize that something happens between 30 and the grave and you start to notice every little annoyance that is one step closer to the old folks home. Depressing....

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    Doesn't brother me really, bit extra pain few more minor acks and pains... but i feel the more active i stay the less it hurts.. and i hope my kids (only 7 and 8) surpasse me in whatever they decided to do.

NoLimits is offline Member
    I usually just sit back and read everyone else's post... But I will comment on this one! Like eye_candy said, I enjoy watching my children (Daughter 14, son 11) grow into young adults. Both are very competitive. It makes it fun when we do things together.

Also, I just got back from Mexico this last weekend, I played two-man beach volleyball with a lot a kids in their early twenty's, (I am 39) I was in better shape then 80 to 90% of them. They all had beer guts, and were winded real easy.... Made me feel good!

iron4life79 is offline Retired Moderator
    well,
    i, for one hope im gonna stay feeling younger cause i dont have any kids..........hehe. but i worry about other things. the usual though.....money, job, etc. those things wont ever pass, so i just deal with them. they weigh on you after a while though. and before you know it your in that rut that i posted on earlier. seems like its a just a big circle sometimes.........neverending.

peace bb79

Kaz
    Kaz is offline Member
    i think im going to be one of those disgusting old people who never know they are getting old!

i am stronger now than i have ever been, both mentally and physicaly and when i am in the gym i train the younger guys into the rubber floor mats

sure i look a bit older, and i have some grey hairs here and there, but that doesnt bother me one bit - in fact it fires me up even more, since i KNOW that when i walk in the gym the younger guys (who dont know me yet) will all be looking and thinking that sure, i might be big, but im old and past it now......

thats usually about 40 mins before i start to train with them. after that..... they are usually too busy throwing up in a bucket to be thinking much at all!

sure the young ones can take over after me, but they are going to have to pry the bar from my cold dead fingers first!

iron4life79 is offline Retired Moderator
    Originally posted by Kaz

sure the young ones can take over after me, but they are going to have to pry the bar from my cold dead fingers first!

kaz,
    you said it brother, i dont mind 'em takin over either, if they can get the bar away from me.....feels good to know i can still hang with the young bucks at my gym. makes all that training and sweating worth it.

peace bb79

Bert2 is offline Female Member
    I don't worry about getting older because right now, at age 34, I feel younger than I did when I was 18! That's probably because at that young age we're so busy trying to "act" older. I have to admit though that I've been wondering if the younger kids (late teens/early twenties) look at me as if I'm old. Not that I care, but I remember at that age looking at people over 30 and seeing them as being really old!! I've even started asking Pete lately "do I dress too young? do I look like I'm trying to be 21 again?" I'm just waiting for my 10 year old son to tell me he's embarressed by me!!
    It's supposed to be hard! If it was easy, everyone would do it! It's the "hard" that makes it great!

Canes4Ever is offline Banned

Thumbs up I do worry, but have lately seemed more at ease with it

Since meeting my partner, I have been much more at ease about my salt n'pepper hair and goatee. Being alone, and that creeping feeling of abandonment was about to overtake me, because in the last 3 years I have lost an ex, my father and his brother, to an already small family. Growing old and alone never seemed more of a reality and my own vunerability was glaring at me in the face.

Thank goodness I found someone that is a soulmate and my perfect match. It's made the difference in the world to me.

ironmike7000 is offline Associate Member
    I never really thought alot about getting old until I turned 35. I remember playing in a basketball game with some younger guys and the guy I was guarding was blowing by me like I was standing still. I could'nt figure it out why I could'nt stop him. Hell he was'nt that quick! I finally realized I was that slow. It hit me that I was getting older. It's hard to accept that the things I used to be able to do so easy is now harder to do. So I gave up playing organized basketball and softball. I figure if I can't play and be competive its time for me to quit playing. But I can still hang with and surpass some of these younger guys in the gym. Besides I really do believe that working out does keep a person looking and feeling young.

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    You know what? Age doesn't bother me much at all!

I have a lot of friends that range from their early 20's to their 50's. At 40 years old, I feel like I am in better physical shape than most of them--even the youngsters. I am in better shape because I have the desire and will to achieve and the brains to accomplish it. I know that I still have a lot of room for improvement and the desire to do so--so I will continue to improve. Sadly, most people don't have that drive; youthful energy is no substitute for knowledge, experience and drive...

Youth has it's advantages, but age is often the bigger advantage.

Sign on the door of one of my ex-bosses:

Age and deceit will beat youth and ambition every time.

Kaz
    Kaz is offline Member
    Originally posted by Ajax
    Age and deceit will beat youth and ambition every time.

i LIKE that!!

TheStromba is offline Associate Member
    Well, when I was 28 I had lower back surgery. (10 years ago) The doctor told me not to even THINK about going into the gym ever again. So I spent my late 20's and early 30's feeling like I was 60 years old.

Now I realize that he was a moron and I train harder and lift more weight than when I was 20 years old.

I feel like I have already spent my time feeling old. Since I can keep up physicaly with most of the younger guys, and since I kinda look younger than I am (at least that's what people tell me), I'm gonna blend in with the youth for as long as I can get away with it !

Cane i can related to the grey thing, my goat has pretty good patch of grey in it now and hair is starting to go too, but seems to be a race weither on not it will turn gray or fall out 1st, i have gone from really thick hair to kinda thin on top... of course bbing life sytle doesn't help, but it doesn't brother me....

Babyweight is offline Female Member
    I'm still pretending to be in my 20's...
    oooooopss...I guess til I can no longer get away with it.
    I have always taken care of myself and I still don't feel any older at all. I still move quick, am actually a little stronger and am young at heart.
    Don't know how long its going to last, but I will fight for youth as long as I can. Just as long as someone tells me when I'm too old to be dressing the way I do. I've seen it before with older women & its embarrassing. Just like Bert says.....someone please let me know when enough is enough.
    And as far as the younger ones. Well I'm not the same as guys wanting to keep up with the youger ones in strength, for me, and maybe for other girls, Its the beauty you don't want to loose. Tight skin, healthy hair, & staying out of the sun so we can still get away with looking 29,and when all the younger gals have beautiful, bronzed bodies.

ironmike7000 is offline Associate Member
    Babyweight....When I saw that you posted in here I was surprised. From reading your post and seeing your avator I thought you were in your 20's for sure. You have'nt anything to worry about I think you will be looking young for a long time!

Babyweight is offline Female Member
    Nope Ironmike....I'm with you guys....Sorta like wine, we age better (and look better) with time. But boy do we have to put in MORE time.

Thanks for the compliment sweetie..

color hair?

Originally posted by eye_candy
    Cane i can related to the grey thing, my goat has pretty good patch of grey in it now and hair is starting to go too, but seems to be a race weither on not it will turn gray or fall out 1st, i have gone from really thick hair to kinda thin on top... of course bbing life sytle doesn't help, but it doesn't brother me....
    EC I thought I'd lose my hair too, it started receeding when I was in my late 20's but kinda has stopped and I am slowly thinning out on top, but not too noticeably.

I thought I'd be bald by now for sure, as my dad was bald on top by the time he was 40 and my mothers father was also bald by the time he was 35. So I'm not sure where ya get baldness from (I have heard your mothers family, but I am not sure) but so far so good.

I'm still not vain enough yet to go get the Just for Men stuff. I like the natural color.

Let me ask this, would you consider coloring your hair and goatee for a competition? Do you think that could be a factor in winning or losing or even how you place?

xplicit is offline Member
    A productive life span is 20-70
    so a person aged 30 still has 80 percent of there productive life left what is so bad about 30 years old and having 80 percent of productivity ahead of you????? For some your best years are still ahead of you those are productive years, years in which you can still do great things. As you decline physically you should incline mentally which should be the compensateion.
    You are what you feel try and make your self feel young. Im 21 i look at guys i n the gym who are in there early 30 they are in great shape i want to reach that level i want to look like them and you guys are complaing about people my age??? Thats silly you already achieved many things and people who are younger still have to go and acheive those very same things, be happy about your accomplishments and continue to strive for more.

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    I don't worry about getting older because I don't feel older. Sure, I can't run as quick as I used or jump as high as I once could, but I'm MUCH stronger and have a lot more muscle. Sometimes I worry that I look like I'm holding on to the fountain of youth (I wear loops in each of my ears, train with a ball cap, wear hip clothes) but I just enjoy trying to stay trendy. Besides...our 10 year old son thinks his dad is cool because we listen to similar music and wear similar clothes.

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    Originally posted by Diesel
    Pete, are you a Backstreet Boys fan?
    Nope...NSYNC!!

Actually, my boy listend to Lincoln Park, Papa Roach, Limp Biskit, Drowning Pool, some Hip Hop, spome Techno....we download the songs from the net that he wants on his disks and make sure they are the CENSORED versions

Cane no, will not color it, gray I don't think is so bad, and my bread is red, so doesn't stand out like someone with dark hair. For show, not really i trim it at 1/4" so it always very short. Big thing for show is very very short hair espeically on sides or bald, makes your shoulders look wider.....

Originally posted by eye_candy
    Cane no, will not color it, gray I don't think is so bad, and my bread is red, so doesn't stand out like someone with dark hair. For show, not really i trim it at 1/4" so it always very short. Big thing for show is very very short hair espeically on sides or bald, makes your shoulders look wider.....
    I agree EC long hair is a

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator
    Originally posted by Diesel
    Of course if I am going to kick back and chill, you can't beat Frank.
    Zappa?

Yes, I was joking.

El Kabong is offline New Member
    No, I'm not worried about it at all. I think it's fun to watch kids grow up. I do think that young people are much more aware than we were (I'm a post-boomer). That scares me sometimes, but mostly I think it's an asset to the world.

I have no desire to be young again. I was always broke then and largely had no clue about how to conduct my life. I wouldn't give up my experience for youth.

On the other hand, I dye my hair now and then. I do it, I tell myself, just because I like the color (hah). But I'm willing to admit a certain resistance to accepting physical aging :-)

Thread Information