Vegas1973 is offline Junior Member

33, ready to make changes

I'm 33. I started lifting about 13 years ago because i was very thin. Out of high school I weighed 165. I am 6' tall. I was super skinny. I wanted to gain weight so a buddy started taking me to the gym and over the course of the first summer I put on about 20 pounds. I'd estimate just under 2/3 was muscle and the rest fat.

Since then my weight has been pretty out of control for the most part. I spent years not being able to control my diet or eating habbits, as well as being completely away from the gym. I got up to 240 at one point in 1999. Now I'm back to 189. My bodyfat is 23%

I've been back on cardio for about a month. My diet has been good and consistant for a little over six months.

Energy is a completely different matter however. I have done the bloodwork and required tests with one of the sponsers of this site for HRT.

My immediate goals are in this order.

1. increase my energy level by at least 50%
    2. gain approx 20-25 pounds of lean muscle
    3. get my bodyfat down to the 14% range.

Those are the three that I'm commited to do anything it takes to achieve. I have other goals as well. Personal live trauma, and divorce make men tend to want to be in the best possible appearance for the opposite sex. Thats no different for me.

My bodyfay has always been over 20% even when i was rail thin. In high school i had a tummy and love handles. I've read all about this issue with others here on this board. I recognize that it might be here to stay with me for life. But I'd like to give it one hell of a fight as long as I'm living.

I'd like to be posting new pics a year from now and not be ashamed.

Thanks for reading.

Vegas1973
    Last edited by Vegas1973; 06-27-2006 at 10:47 AM.

Since last Thursday my bodyfat went down one percentage to 22%. I'm hoping that it will be possible to drop about a percentage point every week to ten days. I am thouroughly commited to sticking with the routine I have started.

I do however wish there was a more obtainable way to increase my energy level. Even though I do fairly intense cardio (30 min 3 times a week) and my diet is clean and balanced, my energy level still sucks. I don't really want to start using caffiene to elevate my energy levels again. It was one of the more difficult things I've done in my life to get myself over the caffiene addiction in the first place.

Does anyone else struggle with maintaining a solid energy level throughout an entire day? Or is this just something I have to accept as getting older?

mesomorph is offline Associate Member
    Your energy drops off when dieting some. After you shed a few more pounds and put some muscle back on I bet you start feeling much better. Plus by then your body will have adjusted to the diet a bit better.

Very cool goals. Hope you stick to it and post some before & after pics in a couple months!

wow thank you man. I am determined to do whatever i have to do to achieve at least those three primary goals.

Ideally I'd like to get my bodyfat down to below 20% before i start a cycle. But my reality isn't always ideal. I'll keep this entire journey documented as best i can on here.

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas1973
    Since last Thursday my bodyfat went down one percentage to 22%. I'm hoping that it will be possible to drop about a percentage point every week to ten days. I am thouroughly commited to sticking with the routine I have started.

I do however wish there was a more obtainable way to increase my energy level. Even though I do fairly intense cardio (30 min 3 times a week) and my diet is clean and balanced, my energy level still sucks. I don't really want to start using caffiene to elevate my energy levels again. It was one of the more difficult things I've done in my life to get myself over the caffiene addiction in the first place.

Does anyone else struggle with maintaining a solid energy level throughout an entire day? Or is this just something I have to accept as getting older?
    Vegas, In answer to the energy ?'s....Yes...I'm 37 and have been tired during day even on good sleep AND COFFEE....
    I was diagnosed with LOW T and started taking test with gels at first, now injects. Not on any other meds..just test...I started feeling a little better at first and with increases in test have been able to achieve slight muscle gains but with very little belly fat losses and that's where the majority of my fat lies...I know that's not unusual....but anyway...STILL TIRED DURING DAY...I'm going to bring it up with my doc next appt. but I'm thinking it is something mental rather than physical....but keep us posted...I'll be chiming in as well here and other threads...I'm in similar boat and have same goals as you and wish you the best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by jpkman
    Vegas, In answer to the energy ?'s....Yes...I'm 37 and have been tired during day even on good sleep AND COFFEE....
    I was diagnosed with LOW T and started taking test with gels at first, now injects. Not on any other meds..just test...I started feeling a little better at first and with increases in test have been able to achieve slight muscle gains but with very little belly fat losses and that's where the majority of my fat lies...I know that's not unusual....but anyway...STILL TIRED DURING DAY...I'm going to bring it up with my doc next appt. but I'm thinking it is something mental rather than physical....but keep us posted...I'll be chiming in as well here and other threads...I'm in similar boat and have same goals as you and wish you the best of luck.

Thank you. Sounds very similar. My test levels were pretty normal though, I believe my Testosteroneserum was 677 and Free test was 18.5. I'm not sure what the real scale of normal for my age is, but according the lab it's in the upper end of normal.

My fat is completely centered around my lower abdomen and love handle areas. But I just can't mentally accept that there's no way to loose this excess fat.

I am considering GH, and with all the reasearch and reading I've done on that it might be a good decision for me. Seems that at least a six month duration is minimum to get substantial results.

Meanwhile, I'll keep up what I'm doing and try and overcome the mental part of this lack of energy. It will remain my #1 goal.. Increase overall energy levels by approx 50%

I'll keep at it. Thank you for the comments.

Thank you. Sounds very similar. My test levels were pretty normal though, I believe my Testosteroneserum was 677 and Free test was 18.5. I'm not sure what the real scale of normal for my age is, but according the lab it's in the upper end of normal.

My fat is completely centered around my lower abdomen and love handle areas. But I just can't mentally accept that there's no way to loose this excess fat.

I am considering GH, and with all the reasearch and reading I've done on that it might be a good decision for me. Seems that at least a six month duration is minimum to get substantial results.

Meanwhile, I'll keep up what I'm doing and try and overcome the mental part of this lack of energy. It will remain my #1 goal.. Increase overall energy levels by approx 50%

I'll keep at it. Thank you for the comments.
    It's AS IF you were to look at my torso only...it would be hard to believe I knew what a gym was
    If I had the $$$ I would try GH for sure

Oki-Des is offline Anabolic Member
    Good Luck! I am 36 now, and am in better shape then when I was younger. One thing I like about working out now is that I acutally see better results than when I was younger. Keep up the good work and the results will continue to motivate you to forge on. Hang in there and we look forward to seeing some pics when you accomplish your goals.

Thank you! Its super hard for me as a very average sized guy in the gym where every single guy in there appears to be ten times bigger than me. Its like the opposite starting sensation. When your huge I immagine everyone is staring wishing they were you. When your just starting out, it feels like everyone is staring and fighting back tears of laughter.

Oh well. Everyone has to start somewhere. I'm not going to cycle anything at all until I've given it everything I have for a solid six months. It sucks to be holding out on this, because I already went through all the hassle of bloodwork and physical stuff for the HRT sponsor of this site. I just know its not a wise decision with where I'm at now.

mesomorph is offline Associate Member
    Thank you! Its super hard for me as a very average sized guy in the gym where every single guy in there appears to be ten times bigger than me. Its like the opposite starting sensation. When your huge I immagine everyone is staring wishing they were you. When your just starting out, it feels like everyone is staring and fighting back tears of laughter.

Oh well. Everyone has to start somewhere. I'm not going to cycle anything at all until I've given it everything I have for a solid six months. It sucks to be holding out on this, because I already went through all the hassle of bloodwork and physical stuff for the HRT sponsor of this site. I just know its not a wise decision with where I'm at now.
    I am not too big, about average at my gym. I remember when I was half as strong as I am now, and I looked like a tooth pick. I must admit, I couldn't stand to look like I did back then, and I do think that when I see a skinny dude working out "How can they stand to be that small?!" BUT, by the same token, most of those dudes you only see one or two weeks in a row, then they never show up again, but the ones I see coming in week after week and you start to see changes and them lifting some descent weight after a few months. I have more respect for those guys than the already big dudes.

I agree that you want to stay natural & serious about your lifting & diet for at least 6 months. Learn about how your body responds to lifting, how much volume works best, best number of rest days, split that works best....

All of that will continue to apply when you decide to finally add gear.

Some dudes are amazed how much mass they can put on naturally and decide to hold off a year or two. I worked out for years & never put on much size. So in about 6 months you will have to evaluate how well you are progressing still, whether to stay natural for while or start trying a fairly short conservative cycle with some basic gear and see how well it turns out..

Quote Originally Posted by mesomorph
    I am not too big, about average at my gym. I remember when I was half as strong as I am now, and I looked like a tooth pick. I must admit, I couldn't stand to look like I did back then, and I do think that when I see a skinny dude working out "How can they stand to be that small?!" BUT, by the same token, most of those dudes you only see one or two weeks in a row, then they never show up again, but the ones I see coming in week after week and you start to see changes and them lifting some descent weight after a few months. I have more respect for those guys than the already big dudes.

I agree that you want to stay natural & serious about your lifting & diet for at least 6 months. Learn about how your body responds to lifting, how much volume works best, best number of rest days, split that works best....

All of that will continue to apply when you decide to finally add gear.

Some dudes are amazed how much mass they can put on naturally and decide to hold off a year or two. I worked out for years & never put on much size. So in about 6 months you will have to evaluate how well you are progressing still, whether to stay natural for while or start trying a fairly short conservative cycle with some basic gear and see how well it turns out..
    Well said...GREAT advice.

Oki-Des is offline Anabolic Member
    I dont think anyone should feel strange in a gym. There are guys with 100 pounds of muscle more than me, but I do not feel strange. It is because I do not look down on anyone there myslef. I see skinny kids and overweight people too, but they are in the gym and trying. That is all I care about and I commend them. I think this type of mentality allows me to work out with larger guys and not feel intimidated myself. Dont ever think people are laughing at you at the gym. I dont know most of the people in my gym, but if they are there, it does not matter their size, age or body fat %, they are all on the team! Sometimes I get pissed at someone for something stupid, but it never has anything to do with what they look like. Dont worry man, soon others will be wondering if you are going to laugh at them or not. And at that time you will understand those big guys points of view. They remember when they first started too. And remember, it isnt when you start, but rather how long you can continue without quiting. Good Luck!

Thread Information