j.j. is offline Associate Member

How many of you keep a w/o and diet journal?

I was wondering this, I didn't keep one on my first cycle. But I am planning on doing one next cycle.
    And was wondering how many of you keep these types of journals?
    Last edited by j.j.; 05-23-2002 at 09:28 AM.

iron4life79 is offline Retired Moderator
    i keep a workout journal when im on and off. as far a diet journal goes, my wife does that for me. we discuss calorie counts while on and off, and she designs the nutritional program for each period.
    journals really help to chart progress or regression in key areas as well as a general guideline. i strongly suggest using one.

peace bb79

I ask this because I find myself sometimes skipping an exercise. I try to write it all down so that I have it with me, but with teaching a summer school class (undergrad) it is getting hard for me to keep track of my notes that I make from different sorces ie. flex, AR, and other websites.
    Do you know anything about the website Nutripeak?
    Is your wife a nutritionist? sounds like your a lucky man.

Big "D" Daddy is offline Junior Member
    The printable log sheets here on AR are great. They really help to keep track of the exercises and the weights I used the last time I worked each body part, so I know if it is time to increase my poundages.

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    I keep a workout journal. I think it is the only way to truly know how you are doing.

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    workout and diet and supplments, all in one book.

Originally posted by j.j.
    I ask this because I find myself sometimes skipping an exercise. I try to write it all down so that I have it with me, but with teaching a summer school class (undergrad) it is getting hard for me to keep track of my notes that I make from different sorces ie. flex, AR, and other websites.
    Do you know anything about the website Nutripeak?
    Is your wife a nutritionist? sounds like your a lucky man.
    i agree with big d, the printable pages on a.r. are of great value if you dont have time to design sheets or a printable log of your own. if youre having trouble keeping track of workouts, this is a viable option for you.
    ive ordered supps from nutripeak before, but thats about it.

my wife is a nutritionist/dietician. she knows much more than i ever will when it comes to what i should put in my body during certain times, depending on what im doing at that time.

peace bb79

devland2 is offline Junior Member
    try www.fitday.com for a diet journal, does all the work for you and is FREE

Fitday

Man what an awesome site!!! I cannot believe i have been trying to track that stuff by reading labels, yuck, that site makes it so much easier.Thanks devland2. Man barbells that is cool that you can share something that you are passionate about with wife. I just got my girl a membership to the gym, so that it can be something we can both enjoy and live a healthy lifestyle. peace-
    You know we should spread the word about this site, it would probably help those seeking diet help, like me. thanks again!

that is an awesome site, but i see nothing printable you can carry to the gym with you to log your progress.
    its gonna be hard to remember everything i eat and drink all day then try and put it all in there every day.
    for tracking purposes, it looks very good, but for everyday workouts, it looks kinda tough, at least for me. maybe im missing something here. devland , maybe you can explain to me how it works a little better?

peace bb79

Kaz
    Kaz is offline Member
    Training Log:
    When I first started training with weights all those years ago (About 23yrs ago - I started when I was about 16) I religiously kept a training log. I still have about 15 little notebooks in date order full of info about my training - Weights/ reps/ How I felt etc etc.
    Now however I dont use one! I have all my possible training methods logged in my head from force of habit. I can switch my style of training at any time and not forget it, and I can remember my weights and reps from week to week with no problems.
    Sometimes my progress is very slow and sometimes its pretty fast, and although I cant log every tiny change I have a pretty good idea what is working and what is not!

Diet:
    Like my training log my diet log used to be very strict. I ate all the right food at the right time in the right % and managed to get to about 6% at one point, at around 220lbs.
    Now....... Im bad Im afraid! I like my food and I have this terrible passion for Pizza! (Oops!)
    I know Im carrying about 18-20% bf at around 315lbs (Although it has dropped a bit in the last few weeks) and I have a bit of a tum and some little handles at the sides, but what the heck! I can still outlift AND outlast the young guys in the gym so I cant be doing bad!
    When and if I DO decide to rip up again Ill show them what thats all about as well!!

Cycles:
    I started using AS about 10yrs ago and I kept logs all the time. Again, I dont keep one now, but I know what I respond well to and I tend to work out cycles from the things I enjoyed using the most. perhaps if and when I start my first GH cycle I will keep another log!

All in all I would advise anyone to use logs as much as they can. They are great for keeping track of the things that worked for you as long as you are VERY verbose in them! If you feel bad one day then it goes in the log!!

After a while you will get to a point where a log is just repeating itself. You will find out what works and what doesnt and then the logs have outlived their purpose. Of course if you start something new again they come back into their own!

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    I keep a log--sitting on my desk collecting dust.

I know it's a damn good idea, and when I do it I see how useful it is. But I just keep forgetting it, so it becomes less useful, so I forget it again and... well, there it sits, all but forgotten.

You think by the time you were forty you would be more disciplined. Or maybe it's an early sign of alzheimer's...

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    I use fitday... it is an awesome site.

concious is offline New Member
    I having been using a program called Vivonic Fitness Planner on my Palm Pilot. I am looking for a better alternative but have found that the information is critical for me to continue to build on my program, and taking a longer range view of my progress and diet are helpful in evaluating my situation. I am not where I want to be, but having this "data" is helpful in diagnosing, and changing the course...now if I could just get the results I am looking for.

Buddha_Red is offline Senior Member
    I keep a notebook updated every day. I dont take one pill without writing it down. All my diet info,weight.BF and anything else i can think of goes in there.

I know this isnt exactly the best in security but i dont really care since i never write down source info or anything like that in there.

It really helps me since i am a lazy guy by nature, this keeps me focused and modivated.

I noticed yesterday that my gym has them at the front, I might grab one or just use a notebook. But I will defintly keep one this cycle to keep up with stats.

El Kabong is offline New Member
    I use dietpower (www.dietpower.com). I log exercise, food and water. works great, used it for 2 years now.

Thread Information