Thread: Prostate

Cycleon is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired

Prostate

wondering if we can have comments from the med people as well as others on the safest cycles that will not cause prostate growth - benign or otherwise - just sitting here wondering as I do my daily GH how that might effect things, especially as I go back on test in a month or so.

FKITLETSGO is offline Senior Member
    CYCLEON: this is for your eyes only so you can delete it once you get it but......Tnox told me the other day that unfortunately he feels like your prostate is swelling. He said either that or your using chinese shrinking cream to get tighter...hmm i dont know buddy but this can't be a good sign...maybe you shouldnt tell tnox yet it would break his heart...but for now he sure enjoys it lol

senor_gato is offline Junior Member
    LOL
    Hey Cycleon can I borrow some of that chinese stuff for my wife?

FKIT - the things you keep fantasizing about - no doubt next you are going to offer to give me regular checkups

Doc M is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Cycleon,

Generally speaking Anabolics do not cause the Prostate to grow in size. However, some of the more toxic AS can cause inflammation that generally subsides after the cycle is completed in a relatively short period of time. Growth Hormone on the other hand can cause it to increase in size and density which can lead to long term problems such as increased difficulty in urination, discomfort, inability to fully empty the bladder, possible lesions. Although I cannot find any peer reviewed studies that give definitive answers, these are generally complications that GH can cause. I consider GH to be a "VERY ADVANCED" compound and be aware, as I am sure you are, that it can have irreversible effects on the body. I will continue to look for something pertinent in the journals that may give a little more insight into your question.

Doc M

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    Doc M, are you saying that Anabolic use will not contribute to Prostate problems. My father died recently from prostate cancer (well surgical complications while removing it) so this has been on my mind a lot in the past few months.

WOW! hmmmmmmmm............ so juice might actually be safer than GH as far as prostate goes - just when I was truly beginning to like it - great for my skin too - would love to see what you can find on that - mothers side has history on prostate cancer.

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    The URL has now expired but this story was from yahoo news Feb 12th. If you do some research you will find that a new drug (FDA approved for prostate growth) Avodart is much better than the existing drug proscar. Also remember proscar is the 5mg version of the hair growth drug propecia. Avodart is supposed to be much better at maintaiing and regrowing hair and they have completed FDA phase 2 trials w/ avodart for that purpose. They are currently on the final phase 3 trials for prosate cancer prevention with avodart. This one drug could regrow hair (FDA phase II tests- great results), reduce enlarged prostates (FDA approved and proven to be the best available drug), and prevent prostate cancer (phase III fda trails right now!). Here is the story but keep in mind prostate cancer and elargement are two different conditions and one can have nothing to do with the other:

Reuters
    Glaxo thinks may have cancer winner in Avodart
    Wednesday February 12, 10:59 am ET
    LONDON, Feb 12 (Reuters) - GlaxoSmithKline Plc (London:GSK.L - News), traditionally a weak force in the anti-cancer market, believes it may have a winner in its new drug Avodart.

Company executives told a post-results briefing that a major Phase III study now underway to see if Avodart can prevent prostate cancer, as well as treat benign prostate enlargement, could open a massive new market for the product.

Results of a long-term study into cancer prevention are expected in 2004 or 2005, said David Stout, head of pharmaceuticals operations.

GSK launched Avodart in the United States for the treatment of symptomatic benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) last month and plans to start marketing it all Europe in the first half of 2003.

"We will launch it and establish it in BPH. Then hopefully it will be the first product to successfully demonstrate prevention or postponement of the onset of prostate cancer," GSK Chief Executive Jean-Pierre Garnier added.

The drug is set to compete against Merck and Co Inc's (NYSE:MRK - News) long-established Proscar, which is the market leader in BPH but which has been shown to have no role in cancer prevention.

The extra cancer indication could prove particularly valuable to GSK when the patent on Proscar expires, perhaps in 2006, and cheaper generic versions are launched.

GSK faces patent threats to a number of key products but hopes to offset this risk with a new line-up of drugs.

Garnier claimed the company had overcome its pipeline shortage and now had a wealth of products in development, allowing it to hold a long-awaited R&D day in November or December.

This will be the first R&D day since February 2001. Its failure to hold one last year, because of lack of progress to report, added to gloom around the stock.

Garnier said several key products would have passed Phase II "proof of concept" clinical tests by the end of 2003.

Industry analysts believe positive Phase II data could emerge by the end of the year on projects involving new treatments for respiratory disorders, cancer, HIV/AIDS, heart disease and allergy.

GSK currently has 61 new chemical entities in clinical development, plus 23 new vaccines and 39 line extensions of existing medicines.

David B. is offline Member
    Originally posted by RON
    Doc M, are you saying that Anabolic use will not contribute to Prostate problems. My father died recently from prostate cancer (well surgical complications while removing it) so this has been on my mind a lot in the past few months.
    OUCH! Are you and family holding up okay? That had to be a rude shock.

My dad had the roto-rooter job done on his prostate a number of years ago, had his gallbladder go septic, is always having to have some skin cancer spot removed from somewhere, and spent most of last year in and out of the hospital on chemo for CLL leukemia, with some very close calls. He's in remission now, at age 79, but his bone marrow test still shows the leukemia, so it's only a matter of time 'til it gets him. Every time the phone rings at an odd hour, my heart skips a beat.

--dnb

Ron..I am sorry to hear about your father passing away. Death is never easy to deal with especially when it is a parent or sibling. I have had the misfortune of dealing with both and only time can heal those wounds, so the best of luck to you and your family. Things do get better!!

Let me address the GH issue. GH is a great compound and can have many beneficial results, but in terms of bodybuilding uses, it is simply a roll of the dice. Without babbling a bunch of medical terms I will say that if you are using GH be very aware of your body, and if it speaks to you, certainly listen.

I hope I did not not confuse anyone reading this by what I stated. Anabolics can cause prostate problems in those individuals who show a higher than normal propensity for inflammation, enlargement, urination problems, etc. Many factors determine this: age, family medical history, current health, diet, excercise, supplementation, etc... If you have a family history of cancer of the prostate gland, I highly recommend you have a Doctor monitor your blood values and even go in for the dreaded " Bend over Exam". We all want to improve our bodies but not at the risk of our long term health.

So, what I am stating is yes, AS can cause prostate problems in those who meet several of the risk factors. Does AS affect everyone this way? No. Many can use AS and display no noticeable sides. My recommendation is if you are over thirty, use AS, meet any or all of the risk factors, then I would pay special attention to your prostate health. Although it is not a standard practice, I go in for an exam every year and I am in my mid 30's. I feel like that I am adding additional risk by using AS so I take the road of caution. Prostate cancer is obviously deadly, but it is very treatable if caught in it's infancy or early stages so I say why take the risk that a few simple tests and a little discomfort can take away.

Although I am officially on vacation for the next 4 weeks I am very tired since this is my weekend rotation (36 hrs) so I may be a little confusing. I will check this tomorrow when I come out of my coma to make sure it is somewhat understandable.

Doc M

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    David, Doc thanks for the sentiment. Its almost been a year and still I am not nearly over the emotional roller coaster.

Doc I'm 30 and for a normal 30 year old prostate check ups from what I understand are not necessary. So since I am both an Anabolic user and have a family history I thought I would just go get my PSA levels tested. I think that at my age if my PSA is normal that should be good enough. No need for the rubber gloves and KY. Or do you think I might need a more "through exam :0

Exactly What I was thinking Ron!

Ron,

You're right on the money! At 30 a complete exam is not warranted nor encouraged in most patients. However, you are of unique circumstances and having the antigen test performed is an excellent start. It will also help establish a solid patient history with your Doctor in regards to this issue. I would not worry about it unless your PSA test exhibits something that your Doc feels needs to be looked into further. My strong advice is to be very upfront with him and expalin your issues and AS use. It may be difficult to get the initial words out of your mouth, but it will make for a much better Doctor/Patient relationship in the future. He may even hesitate on administering the test, but expalin your concerns and he should accomodate your request.

Let me know what transpires during your visit as I am very curious as to what workup he will order. Many Doctor's who are uneducated on AS use often don't understand what issues or complications can arise so they are hesitant to do anything out of the ordinary. Since you are only 30 I would put this in that category. Keep me apprised and Good luck!!

Doc M

Thread Information