Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By lovbyts
  • 1 Post By Buster Brown
  • 1 Post By tcw
  • 1 Post By Oki-Des

Thread: ARgh.... it's always something

bartman314 is offline Productive Member

ARgh.... it's always something

getting old and lifting heavy (4 reps in this case) don't seem to get along. i tweaked my shoulder the other day benching and now need to adjust (again) my program to rehab the joint and attempt to maintain mass and strength to the extent possible.

and... i'm 8 weeks post total hip replacement, and have of course lost almost all my legs.

and... nursing elbow arthritis that has prevented focused bicep training for a year.

and... nursing severe traumatic arthritis in my other shoulder that has permanently affected my shoulder training (no military's, inclines, or any lift above the plane of the shoulders).

i think that's everything. rant over.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Been there, done that and worked through it for over 1yr. Then I had no option but surgery. That shoulder is better but the other one still has a lot of arthritis also.

My .02, learn not to worry about how much you can lift anymore. We arent 20 anymore and the tendons and tissue tear easier than it use to and doesnt heal quite the same.

bsh
    bsh is offline Associate Member
    And we're old ....

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Everything seems to go wrong past 40. My mind is there but my body keeps telling me to slow down

MIKE_XXL is offline SCAMMER
    This is what i have dealt with at 42 years old. i have been working pretty hard over last year however i have had 6 injuries in last 12 months making it more and more difficult to stay focused and on lifting the way i want to lift. Getting old is no fun and i agree with Marcus my mind says you can do it and my body says, i dont think so...LOL...I currently have 2 bad shoulders, partially torn rotary calf tendon, partially torn hamstring and pulled groin, torn left biceps and last but not least torn right pec...so i am currently in cruise control mode for a bit...the doctor says 2 years for a regaining full strength in my right pec...i challenge this number but only time will tell...

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE_XXL View Post
    This is what i have dealt with at 42 years old. i have been working pretty hard over last year however i have had 6 injuries in last 12 months making it more and more difficult to stay focused and on lifting the way i want to lift. Getting old is no fun and i agree with Marcus my mind says you can do it and my body says, i dont think so...LOL...I currently have 2 bad shoulders, partially torn rotary calf tendon, partially torn hamstring and pulled groin, torn left biceps and last but not least torn right pec...so i am currently in cruise control mode for a bit...the doctor says 2 years for a regaining full strength in my right pec...i challenge this number but only time will tell...
    It was just after my 42nd birthday when I woke up hurting/stiff for the 1st time. You know those old age aches and pains. It's been all down hill since then.
    MIKE_XXL likes this.

Charlie67 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I turned 43 Sunday (which is likely why I'm 2 posts in to this place), I realized somewhere in my late 30's that the long-game is vastly more important than the "lets get cut for this summer" game. I happy to say I've been mostly injury free since then.... being sore however, that's a daily thing, but its the good kind of sore.

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I just turned 45 yesterday and would like to say it gets easier .....but it doesn't. Still ......I wouldn't trade it for anything.
    lovbyts likes this.

yannick35 is offline Anabolic Member
    I injured my back a long time ago, i was out for 12 years, due to squats and deadlifting heavy weights.

Been back for a year now, did a 8 week testo cyp 200mg per week and i re injured myself, i was lifting heavy with good forms incline db 100 pounds for 5 reps, bent rows close to 240 pounds, and so on.

I was lucky that a few prolotherapy treatments got me back on track, but you know what.

I will be 43y old and maybe its time to change the whole thing, i started doing the adonis index burn program and i love it, reps are in the 8-13 for the phase 1 and 13-21 phase 2.

So far so good my body is changing and i am not killing myself with heavy weights, i am also squatting with 100 pounds its far from what i used to do younger but 100 pounds for 21 reps will kill you.

Training is all about diet. To be honest i rather be healthy and fit then all bruised up and in chronicle pain which is suffered for the last 12 years cause by ligament laxity

I still have to get the ligaments in my hip fixed and in one shoulder but other then that i am pain free.

bartman314 is offline Productive Member
    trick is to never stop...

tcw
    tcw is offline Senior Member
    The truth is...we've been brainwashed. You really don't need

-heavy weight
    -nor long periods of time in the gym.

You want injuries....PUSH HEAVY WEIGHT and overtrain.

Flock that Heavy Weight--that's for the Young guys. The truth is...pushing heavy weight is more of a liability than it is a Benefit.
    lovbyts likes this.

djgreen is offline Senior Member
    im young and I get tendon and joint pain after lifting heavy or doing certain things so I don't do them and find another way and go with moderate weight. Im the only guy my age doing that everyone else in my gym are only worried about how many plates they can squat or bench for 1 rep

Quote Originally Posted by djgreen View Post
    im young and I get tendon and joint pain after lifting heavy or doing certain things so I don't do them and find another way and go with moderate weight. Im the only guy my age doing that everyone else in my gym are only worried about how many plates they can squat or bench for 1 rep
    Hey youre only 24? What the hell are you doing in our over 40 forum?

Your smart for listening and learning so you dont end up like a LOT of us over 40 guys.

Virus1911 is offline New Member
    Hell being over 40 is a rough period I can attest to that. Played football til I was 33, military training after that.....and I swear I feel every hit, every injury.....& I still I push thru it all

Oki-Des is offline Anabolic Member
    The less time I spend comparing myself to 20 somethings, and continue to compare myself to other 40 somethings I feel a lot better about myself. Ha ha.
    I try not to worry about what I cant do and concentrate on what I can.
    Brett N likes this.

Brett N is offline Senior Member
    I dont even compare myself to other 40 somethings anymore. Look at Marcus FFS, no way to compare. I compare myself today to myself yeaterday. Am I doing something to improve upon it, if not, what can I doto be better. Mind, body and soul.

Thread Information