znak is offline Senior Member

HRT: needle or gel?

I am 48 years old, currently 210 lbs, 10% body fat. Bench- 245 5x, squat 350 10x (too old to max out, so don't know what those numbers are). Three weeks ago, I started Test replacement, which is, in short, really ass-kicking. I tried prohormones, some of which (t-bomb in particular) gave me some pretty good gains, but nothing compared to the surges of strength that I have been having.

Anyway, I really don't like shots (who does?) Has anyone out there done both injections and then gel or visa-versa? I am definitely not planning to be a HRT lifer, but will definitely do another course some time again and would like to avoid the injections (if possible.)

Hard to believe that I could rub some cream on and get these types of gains, but heck when my natural test level was this high, we didn't have cell phones or PCs.

powerlifter is offline Anabolic Member
    Good to hear Bro - as for shots or cream - I think shots give more bang for your buck but I think it is a personal choice as it is covered by insurance LOL

woodiechopper is offline Associate Member
    You could talk to your doc about it if he's informed of your situation. Otherwise, here's my 2 cents based on experience with both:

the cream allows you to maintain a more or less constant dosage on a daily basis since it takes time to be absorbed but you do lose potency. I doubt you'll get your levels up to the major mass-building stage, although I suppose you could just rub cream all over.

the injections offer a much wider range of options: in terms of medicine and in terms of dosage. For HRT, I think the main choices would be nandralone and test cyp. For bodybuilding, there are lots of others (just look at the board). Both nandralone and cyp are long lasting esters and take somewhere around 2 weeks to lose their effect (check the board for half lives of testosterone esters). This means that you're going to get a much stronger dosage at the beginning than at the end. So if you were going to your doc for injections on a monthly or two weekly basis, there would be a big variation in test levels. I've read that some people experience this as depressing or fatiguing. You could also inject smaller quantities weekly.

There are shorter esters (e.g., test prop) which some inject daily (or hourly judging from some of the quantities mentioned!) but I haven't seen these proposed for HRT.

If you want my opinion, I'd go with the injections. If you use your hip pocket every two weeks and inject no more than 2cc at a time, it shouldn't be a problem. Frankly, a lot of people seem to enjoy it after a while (association with the good feeling of strength after getting test up?).

You should definitely get blood tests of your testosterone because I'm sure everyone reacts in different ways.

scotty082865 is offline Junior Member
    IMO, Pellets are the best bet if you can find a doctor who is comfortable using them. I've run Shots, Gels, Creams, and now Pellets. I have never had such high levels of T, at such constant rates. Ever. I have 12 100mg pellets in my rear and get a new set every 3 months. They last 4 months so the first month you get a bit of a double dose/exposure.

Gentlemen, I would not go any other way.

Scotty

moparnewt is offline New Member
    I've done both. The gel is nowhere near as effective as the injection.

Scotty is offline New Member
    Bro,

Don't be so sure you won't be a lifer on TRT. I thought the same but now realize I NEVER want to go back to how it was before TRT. Think about it. You said it yourself, you havn"t had this level of test since before cell phones. My goal is to maintain my hormone level as close as possible to that of a 20yr old. I'm 38 so it's a huge athletic and professional advantage.

Now, to your question. I've done just about all of it. long-term clomid therapy, creams, gels, injections, and now pellets. Fro me they were effective for me in just that order. Clomid being just "ok" while pellets are by far the best thing that ever happened to me. My doctor has me maintaining a serum (total) T level above 1400ng/dl, which is 400ng clear above the high end of the range. Free T sits in the low 300's which is quite above the range too. My E2 is in the 20-25pg/ml range. All of this from pellets inserted in the fat layer in my butt every 3 to 4 months. Cost is around $150-200 per month depending on a 3 or 4 month schedule.

My doc inserts 12, 100mg pellets. I'm 6-1, 195, 11%BF.

It will change your life.

Scotty
    Last edited by Scotty; 05-18-2004 at 08:10 PM.

scotty082865 is offline Junior Member
    Bros,

The above post is from me. Looks like I had an old account here. Will try to have it removed. This is my account now.

Scotty

kaorialfred is offline Member

Gel or Injections

I am in my 5th month of test, so far I have the injections and have a script for testim. The only bad part for me about the cream was build up in the applied areas. I prefer the injections over the cream. I am going to check into getting some pellets. That sounds more cost effective and less wear and tear on my skin.

Weird thing is that I can get a 90 supply from my insurance mail order pharmacy. So if I order Testim I get three boxes. Cheaper than paying monthly amount. I paid 7 for my test cyp 200ml last month. Which I usually pay 15. Either way sometimes I don't like the pin so I use the gel for a week.

40something is offline New Member

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by kaorialfred
    I am in my 5th month of test, so far I have the injections and have a script for testim. The only bad part for me about the cream was build up in the applied areas. I prefer the injections over the cream. I am going to check into getting some pellets. That sounds more cost effective and less wear and tear on my skin.

Weird thing is that I can get a 90 supply from my insurance mail order pharmacy. So if I order Testim I get three boxes. Cheaper than paying monthly amount. I paid 7 for my test cyp 200ml last month. Which I usually pay 15. Either way sometimes I don't like the pin so I use the gel for a week.

AFter 5 months, what is your progress? how do you feel?

Well until I got word of this board. Confused and uneducated to what my doc was saying. You know the whole reason I'm on at age 33 = testicle was removed. So we are trying to find a happy comfty medium. I feel better today, I have experienced the test flu two weeks ago. Felt it kinda yesterday. I switched my injection days too. I do about 2 cc and normally that happens wed. Lately I have been missing my kickboxing class on Friday morn. I would have those flu symtoms and wouldn't want to do anything. I also work at the gym on Saturday morn so that even got to be a drag. I was exhausted and unmotivated to do jack by Sunday. Last night my Test shot kicked in I was full of energy. I worked out in the garage dips pullups to exhaustion. 30 min on the tread also. I am 5'9 from what I have been told I look like I lost a lot of weight since I started work at the gym.
    The nolvadex helped me out tremendously. I was feeling big but I didn't really know. I need help with workouts and diet I am fluctating 260 to 254 which doesn't make sense to me.

I have a pretty cool urologist, he's encouraging me to lift heavy and go for Ronnie's title, yeah right.

I am going to ask for other stuff to get prescribed any suggestions? I have the nolva was thinking of what else would be benefical to me. I really like the sound of those pellets.
    I am shaping up pretty well. My wife comments about not being able to hit the right injection spot, because I have lost my love handles. I mean if I get I

But in all I feel okay, not as great as I did when I started weekly injections. More energetic than using the gel.

Thanks for asking I appreciate the intrest and concern.
    This sat I am going to see how much I can bench for the first time in about 3 months. Should be intresting.

David B. is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by znak
    compared to the surges of strength that I have been having.

Anyway, I really don't like shots (who does?) Has anyone out there done both injections and then gel or visa-versa? I am definitely not planning to be a HRT lifer, but will definitely do another course some time again and would like to avoid the injections (if possible.)
    Are you getting the shots from a Dr., nurse, or tech at the Dr.'s office, or doing them yourself at home?

Once you learn how, self-administered injections are just too easy, and they're almost always less painful than if someone else shoots you.

my wife is giving me my injections. she's getting better. From what I learned about heating up the test worked like a charm. No pain today. When I have my dr. visit I hold off and let the doc check me out to see if I have something not looking right in the injection area.

Next visit is on the 2nd. Man do I get hungry now constanly. I have got to get that under control.

znak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by David B.
    Are you getting the shots from a Dr., nurse, or tech at the Dr.'s office, or doing them yourself at home?

Once you learn how, self-administered injections are just too easy, and they're almost always less painful than if someone else shoots you.

I was self-injecting. Now that the cycle has been over for three months, I am really looking forward to another cycle.

Agree with you completely on the pain. By the end of the cycle, injections were not painful at all. My only problem was staying all twisted around long enough to aspirate the needle.

Got a cycle coming as soon as I can get my butt back to the states.

Thread Information