Ironmanjay is offline Associate Member

Interesting study on letrozole

Stole this from a professional muscle thread its pretty cool:

Comparative Assessment in Young and Elderly Men of the Gonadotropin Response to Aroma

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comparative Assessment in Young and Elderly Men of the Gonadotropin Response to Aromatase Inhibition

Guy G. T'Sjoen*, Vito A. Giagulli, Hans Delva, Patricia Crabbe, Dirk De Bacquer, and Jean-Marc Kaufman

Department of Endocrinology, Ghent University Hospital, Belgium (G.T., H.D., P.C., J.M.K.), Department of Public Health, Ghent University, Ghent, Belgium (D.D.B.) and Internal Medicine Sub. Endocrinology Ospedale Putignano-Noci (Bari), Italy (V.A.G.)

* To whom correspondence should be addressed. E-mail: [email protected].

1. Context: Aging in men is associated with a decline in serum testosterone (T) levels.

2. Objective: To assess whether decreased T in aging might result from increased estradiol (E2) negative feedback on gonadotropin secretion.

3. Design: Comparative intervention study (2004)

4. Setting: Outpatient Endocrinology Clinic, Ghent University Hospital

5. Participants: Healthy young and elderly men (n = 10 vs. 10)

6. Interventions: placebo and letrozole (2.5 mg/day) 28 days, separated by 2 weeks washout.

7. Main Outcome Measures: Change of serum levels of (Free) E2, LH and FSH, (Free) T, SHBG and gonadotropins response to an i.v. 2.5 µg GnRH bolus.

8. Results: As assessed after 28 days of treatment letrozole lowered E2 by 46% in the young (P = 0.002) and 62% in the elderly men (P < 0.001). In both age groups letrozole, but not placebo, significantly increased LH levels (339 and 323% in the young and the elderly, respectively) and T (146% and 99%, respectively) (P young vs. elderly = NS). Under letrozole, peak LH response to GnRH was 152% and 52% increase from baseline in young and older men, respectively (P = 0.01).

9. Conclusions: Aromatase inhibition markedly increased basal LH and T levels and the LH response to GnRH in both young and elderly men. The observation of similar to greater LH responses in the young compared with the elderly does not support the hypothesis that increased restraining of LH secretion by endogenous estrogens is instrumental in age-related decline of Leydig cell function.

You can find the full paper at

http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/rap...005-0982v1.pdf

I've seen a lot of people claiming outrageous estrogen inhibition with letrozole, like the often claimed 98.7%. In this study E2 was only lowered by 46% in the young and 62% in the elderly men on 2.5mg daily.

Ironmanjay is offline Associate Member
    Now if I'm wrong correct me but doesn't letrozole kill your sex drive??

LoneLifter is offline Associate Member
    Bump. I am curious too.

jaytown25 is offline Junior Member
    bump

supersteve Guest
    I had regular blood tests while on letrozole only and my estrogen levels decreased by about half at a dose of 1mg per day. Test increased 4x (it was fairly low to begin with). And igf-1 increased a bit.

The 95% suppression doesn't happen in males.

jerseyboy is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by supersteve
    I had regular blood tests while on letrozole only and my estrogen levels decreased by about half at a dose of 1mg per day. Test increased 4x (it was fairly low to begin with). And igf-1 increased a bit.

The 95% suppression doesn't happen in males.
    What was your dosage steve? I switched to letro halfway through my last cycle and didn't have any libido problems at all. A gram of test EW makes me plenty horny.

Thread Information