steppenwolf is offline Associate Member

How do skinny 187 LB Olympic lifters press 400 LB's ?

How do skinny 187 LB Olympic weightlifters clean &

jerk 400 LB's? They look like they are going to

break. They have less muscle on them than a

gymnast.

AnabolicBoy1981 is offline Anabolic Member
    they have trained their muscles to be very neurologicaly efficient. That kind of lifting is not about making the muscle bigger to increase the cross sectional area which would increase the leverage which would then pull more weight, but rather to increase the neuro musculular system effectiveness, so that the muscles they do have a contracting as hard as humanly possible. There are to ways to build strength, increasing the neuro musckuar system, or increasing the cross sectional size of the muscle..
    There are two ways to get large muslces: Increasing the cross sectional area, and increasing sarcoplasm levels in the muslce. The latter is not real muscle growth, but simply increasing the volume of fluid in that the muscle can hold. Using the first method gives you the best of both size and strenght. So you see, you can be macho and lift big weight, and look sexy.
    Purely power and strenthg lifters are not big on going to failure, and do sets of 1-3 reps.
    Strength and SIZE need usually 6-10 reps, but actaully 1-3 can work on certain excersizes for mass.
    bull**** sarcosplasm muscle growth is built by generally super high reps, like 20-100. Waste of time really. girly muscle. all show and no go.

steppenwolf is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AnabolicBoy1981
    they have trained their muscles to be very neurologicaly efficient. That kind of lifting is not about making the muscle bigger to increase the cross sectional area which would increase the leverage which would then pull more weight, but rather to increase the neuro musculular system effectiveness, so that the muscles they do have a contracting as hard as humanly possible. There are to ways to build strength, increasing the neuro musckuar system, or increasing the cross sectional size of the muscle..
    There are two ways to get large muslces: Increasing the cross sectional area, and increasing sarcoplasm levels in the muslce. The latter is not real muscle growth, but simply increasing the volume of fluid in that the muscle can hold. Using the first method gives you the best of both size and strenght. So you see, you can be macho and lift big weight, and look sexy.
    Purely power and strenthg lifters are not big on going to failure, and do sets of 1-3 reps.
    Strength and SIZE need usually 6-10 reps, but actaully 1-3 can work on certain excersizes for mass.
    bull**** sarcosplasm muscle growth is built by generally super high reps, like 20-100. Waste of time really. girly muscle. all show and no go.
    Thanks all, for your replies.

Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'

mind freeze

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer

I have to disaggre. For legs it seems like 20+ reps and even as high as 50 is the way to go for many people. Just look at everyone doing dc training and whats happening to there legs

BWhitaker is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    I have to disaggre. For legs it seems like 20+ reps and even as high as 50 is the way to go for many people. Just look at everyone doing dc training and whats happening to there legs
    i think that you missed his point...sarcoplasmic growth is basically a fluid buildup within the muscle. It is achieved at higher reps like the 20 rep squats you are referring. Yes, this will add size. However, sarcoplasmic growth is basically useless size. The only advantage one would have is leverage just like water weight causes. So as far as dc training....yes these type of squats will make you larger but you have to realize that it is nonfunctional growth.

angelxterminator is offline Senior Member
    high reps are also necessary for certain muscle groups to train the red fibers. Sarcoplamic growth also stretches the muscle tissue, allowing for better blood and nutrient transport, allowing you to gain muscle mass more efficiently!

20+ reps is not always for sarcoplasmic growth. Calf are a perfect example of an extremely complex network of different muscle fibers, and are only effectively worked if trained in the low AND high rep range!

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by BWhitaker
    i think that you missed his point...sarcoplasmic growth is basically a fluid buildup within the muscle. It is achieved at higher reps like the 20 rep squats you are referring. Yes, this will add size. However, sarcoplasmic growth is basically useless size. The only advantage one would have is leverage just like water weight causes. So as far as dc training....yes these type of squats will make you larger but you have to realize that it is nonfunctional growth.
    I didnt miss the point, my point is that high rep work can increase the cross sectional area!! If high rep only gives sarcoplasmic growth then it shouldnt by any means be good for strenght gains. But I(and a ****load of other people doing dc training)sees AMAZING strenght gains from the higher rep work. It sure isnt nonfunctional growth.
    The high rep exercises for quads and hams has increase my low rep squat weights alot and all the high rep ham work has done wonders to my deadlift strenght.

Thread Information