BOBBY D is offline Member

The Man That Lite The Torch For Us & His Followers, Credit Deserved...

I am very fascinated w/ the history behind bodybuilding & the men of that time who started it all. Eugene sandow, as most of us know, is the grandfather of bodybuilding & who gave the name to the mr. olympia trophy. way before i came to AR, i researched the history of bodybuilding & went to this site thesandowmuseum.com. this site has great pics of victorian bodybuilders & wrestlers of the time w/ various unique physiques. since i have been on AR, i didn't see any mentioning anyhting about the men of this era so i figured i start up w/ some thoughts that i had going on in my mind. i dont think there were steroids back in that time & it just goes to show how dedicated & serious some of these men were & that all it took was eating right & pure weightlifting. imo, these men r what defines "all natural bodybuilders".some complain so much these days about diets failing, workouts not doing anything for us, etc... my belief is that we r forgetting alot about the 5 standard movements (bench press, dips, military pull ups, dead lifts, squats) which r the strong basics for building muscle, imo. what i am trying to achieve in this thread is for bro's to check out the website, read up on some history of each man, & give some feed back to what u think of these guys at that time & think about how much simpler things were, but look at how much was achieved w/o modern medicine. also, if u read up on Eugene Sandow's life & where he is buried might disapoint u, as it did me. Eugene Sandow's grave was unmarked, until 2002, by wishes of his wife or certain members of his family for some odd reason, & he got no recognition of who he was & what he was known for in his life, which i thought to be very dissapointing. i would like for anybody to open up the posts & give some input on this topic: what u think, if u know anything about the diet & workouts of the time, etc... this gives us a chance to draw some attention to an important time in this sport we all love & appreciate what we have today to work with & understand what little those gentleman had at that time & still achieved goals that even today, many of us can appreciate. "the look of desire".. the first 2 pics r of Eugene Sandow, 3rd is George Hackensmith who was a great wrestler, 4th & 5th is Frietsky & last is the original sandow trophy. take care guys, & happy hard training,

BOBBY.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Man That Lite The Torch For Us & His Followers, Credit Deserved...-sandow1.jpg   The Man That Lite The Torch For Us & His Followers, Credit Deserved...-sandow2.jpg   The Man That Lite The Torch For Us & His Followers, Credit Deserved...-hacken1.jpg   The Man That Lite The Torch For Us & His Followers, Credit Deserved...-fristensky2%5B1%5D.gif   The Man That Lite The Torch For Us & His Followers, Credit Deserved...-sandow3.jpg  

Last edited by BOBBY D; 11-14-2005 at 12:36 PM.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    damn that wrestler had some thick legs on him and the guy in the second pic had awsome biceps.

Quote Originally Posted by johan
    damn that wrestler had some thick legs on him and the guy in the second pic had awsome biceps.
    I know, that wrestler later became a bber, talk about brute strength. the second pic is also sandow displaying his bi's. thanks for checking it out johan.

kaptainkeezy04 is offline Anabolic Member
    his body looks something like a sculpture you would see in a museum.

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainkeezy04
    his body looks something like a sculpture you would see in a museum.
    thats very true. his look is very unique.

what I think is most impressive with those first muscle pioners was that they had awsome strenght aswell.

system admin is offline Owner
    amazing....

The body types are so different now-a-days

bc

what I think is most impressive with those first muscle pioners was that they had awsome strenght aswell.
    its funny that u said that, cause a friend of mine & myself said the same thing. those guys may not have had the bodies of today's pro's, but being so hard, solid & ripped naturally, they produced crazy strength.

Quote Originally Posted by system admin
    amazing....

The body types are so different now-a-days

bc
    i wonder if evolution plays a role w/ the body types of today or is it our regime of workouts & drugs & supps we use today. i know aas plays a role, but has the human body changed that much in 120yrs?

here r a few more pics of these interesting men.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Man That Lite The Torch For Us & His Followers, Credit Deserved...-mead1.gif   The Man That Lite The Torch For Us & His Followers, Credit Deserved...-hacken3.gif   The Man That Lite The Torch For Us & His Followers, Credit Deserved...-sigklein1.jpg   The Man That Lite The Torch For Us & His Followers, Credit Deserved...-bobbypandur1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by BOBBY D
    i wonder if evolution plays a role w/ the body types of today or is it our regime of workouts & drugs & supps we use today. i know aas plays a role, but has the human body changed that much in 120yrs?
    nah the human body is identical to what it was 120 years ago. I think its just that they where natural and had that structure. They must have trained very differently aswell. Not only strenght but balance and stuff like that.

nah the human body is identical to what it was 120 years ago. I think its just that they where natural and had that structure. They must have trained very differently aswell. Not only strenght but balance and stuff like that.
    yeah, they def. trained differently back then. their strength must have been impressive. by being that natural, their bodies must have been hard as a rock as they must have kept their gains for a long period of time even after a break from lifting.

Thread Information