Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
    Quake is offline Member

First thread in the new forum!

Is the "glorified death on the battlefield" image one that is attractive to teenagers? Would it play any part in them making a decision to join the army?

This is a similair question to one which was posed to us in University and as it has a connection to the title of this forum I thought I'd post it here.

Thoughts please!

decadbal is offline Banned
    if you believe in something, then it should be worth dying for.

mass junkie is offline banned
    Go rent the Last Samaurai

Immm Ritch Beaaatch

Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    Decadbol,
    I know we've had our differences today but I totally agree with you.

decadbal is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 1victor
    Decadbol,
    I know we've had our differences today but I totally agree with you.
    well dont, till u learn how to treat older members and i dont mean myself, then i have nothing to say to u.

dalcowbag is offline Anabolic Member
    thats why bush wants the draft. . b/c nobody is willing to fight for that monster

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    Why else would they glorify it??

Quake is offline Member
    A common assumption from the discussion was that it is a "macho death" and this image attracts primarily male teens that often have issues with life and are looking to find an identity for themselves and establish their name's in a way that closely resembles a "reputation".

Don't know what you think of that?

Symian is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bouncer272001
    A common assumption from the discussion was that it is a "macho death" and this image attracts primarily male teens that often have issues with life and are looking to find an identity for themselves and establish their name's in a way that closely resembles a "reputation".

Don't know what you think of that?
    Your question is one that I've thought about, and I'm sure many other military people have, too. I wouldn't say death is attractive, but I see what you mean. But if I had a choice I would choose dying in battle instead of going out like a punk in a car wreck or some crap. Only because it gave my death purpose and gave my family a sense of pride in my death.

As far as joining because of it? I think that is crap. What attracted me was the machoness, I guess. Hell, I was 17! But once in you find yourself in a profession unlike any other in the civilian sector. Police and Firemen come close, but you will never find a job that give you the sence of accomplishment and the chance to not only test your mind but also your physical limits. Especially in combat arms fields.

I just joined the reserves after being out for 2 years just so I could get that feeling again. It feels great to iron my BDUs again. I have to wait 6 months before I can go active, and it's tempting!

Sorry for the long post.

Quake is offline Member
    You've got to remember that this "macho death" idea came from a class of mostly 18 to 19 year olds who have very little experience of life and the outside world, all they know for reference are their books and what they have seen at the cinema.

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    "War is a delight to those who have not experienced it" - Erasmus

Remember the spanish-american war? It was trumped up as being 'just a good little war.' America had not seen much combat and was thrilled to fight, only to find that the military was unprepared and not ready for battle. In WWI the English had a romantic view on war. To die for your country is honorable. What they found was that war really is hell, and there is nothing romantic about it. A macho death? not even close. who was it that said 'there is nothing glorious about war, you will die like a dog for no good reason?" i forget, but i only partially agree. To fight for a cause you truely believe in, and to give your life for it, is glorious. I have the utmost respect for soldiers. They are willing to lay down their lives for the greater good, so long as they are not put in harms way for no reason.

"old men declare war, it is the youth which must fight it" - herbert hoover

if we really were still fighting in afghanistan, and Bush needed support and troops. I would go. He can kiss my ass if he thinks I'd lay down my life for him in Iraq. Basically, to summarize, I think death on a battlefield is an honorable way to die, so long as you believe in what your doing. So long as what your doing is right. To lie and send troops to die is not honorable, he who does this is the lowest form of human being on earth.

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    "Good" is a matter of perspective. I remember hearing on the radio about how the Iraq radio stations were reporting that the US troops were being beaten and how the US was running scared and how the citizens of Iraq should kill any American they see because they are terrible, evil people.

Propaganda plays a large role in wars today. A government can tell it's people anything they want in order to justify a war and make it seem like a just and upright thing to do. When it comes to the US, they tell us all kinds of noble reasons to go to war, but in reality, it all boils down to money. Who can we allign ourselves with that will prove to be the most financially rewarding. Would we be helping the Iraqi people if they didn't have hundreds of billions of dollars worth of oil? I kinda doubt it.

Thread Information