Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts

Thread: Nasa

nickrizz is offline Anabolic Member

Nasa

i dont know if this is the right forum, but does anyone else think the billions we give to NASA isnt worth it. we just spent billions to find out that saturn's rings are made of dust and ice... yippie.... i wonder why we are in debt. Someone please give me a reason why we should do space exploration.

sigrabbit is offline Member
    Looks like someone read Dan Brown's "Deception Point". I'm reading it now, and I agree that we spend too much on space. However, we would not have cell phones, satelites, etc without the knowledge we learn from space travel/research.

what is deception point, i never heard of it

Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    We can learn more about our own planet. It is in mans nature to explore. We want to see if there is another alien people out there. Looking to the future for possible places to habitat if/when the earth implodes. Looking for sources of needed natural resources to replace our own. On and on it goes......

or we could take the billion dollars and make the country a billion times nicer... i understand we should explore to an extent, but i think we have been wasting our time. god knows how much we spent on going to the moon, i dont know how that helped

Casanova33 is offline Associate Member
    well i know handicapped people that are having their medicaid cut because of lack of funding while we are giving nasa more money. we should fund nasa but not to an extent where it takes away from programs that actually help people that need it.

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    There are five main branches of NASA: the Office of Aero-Space Technology, the Office of Earth Science, the Office of Space Flight, the Office of Life and Microgravity Sciences and Applications, and the Office of Space Science.

During the 1990s, the administration of President Bill Clinton cut NASA’s budget, forcing the agency to adopt a cheaper approach to space exploration. NASA downsized by shrinking its staff and cutting its long-term spending plans by several billion dollars, and it focused on producing more numerous but less ambitious (and hence cheaper) spacecraft.

© 1993-2003 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
    From the Microsoft Encarta Encyclopedia.

Space is important for us to keep an eye on because there are a lot of things floating around out there. If we keep an eye on what's going on in space and we know how things move and react in space, we can protect ourselves in case some large asteroid like Eros decides to come streight towards us. And NASA doesn't have the extreme budget that it once had. We are probably spending much more money on the CIA than anything else right now.

I rather spend money on the CIA that will protect us, than NASA to protect the world.

50%Natural is offline Respected Member
    agreed, i have also wondered why we need to know what is on all of saturns 57 moons...who gives a sh it

What good is all the knowledge acquired via NASA programs if we don't have decent schools to serve as venues or decent teachers to serve as mediums to pass on this knowledge, and more importantly, the more basic knowledge that makes up a sound education?

sinista63 is offline Associate Member
    good point einstein. what is sad is my cousins coming here from overseas and achieving straight-A's without even completely grasping the english language. they constantly would tell me how much easier the school system is here. not good considering we're supposedly the "greatest" country in the world.

MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    NASA's chunk of the federal budget is 0.4%. 8 billion out of 1,926 billion dollars.
    http://www.warresisters.org/piechart.htm

Furthermore, NASA has made enough contributions to science and technology to more than offset that small fraction of the budget. Same can't be said about the war on drugs, or politician's sallaries.

I spent about a year working as a scientist at NASA, and I have to admit it's not what it used to be. A classic example of what bureaucracy does to great institutions.

Quote Originally Posted by nickrizz
    I rather spend money on the CIA that will protect us, than NASA to protect the world.
    Maybe it's just me, but that doesn't make any sense.

MMC78, makes an excellent point. As far as funding schools agreed but people are only as smart ar their intellect, you can't educate Forest Gump into a Physicist. Anyone can learn even in todays environment, it's the cream rising to the top, we are not all created equal when it comes to intelligence.

I know its sounds crazy and ridiculous, but i dont know why we should spend billions of dollars in space so the world can have cell phones and other equipment when they dont contribute to the space program. i understand the points you guys made about a meteor attack and stuff, but i dont see, like 50% natural said, why we need to know what makes up saturns moons

the post about cia i meant that i think they should have a bigger budget to help protect us better, the nasa thing didnt make sence lol

Because of budget cuts, some NASA programs are funded in part by different countries as well as our own.

The only problem I have with the CIA having a huge budget is the fact that there budget is secret. They can be spending money on everything under the sun and we don't know anything about it. The CIA is now able to assasinate again under Bush. And after the whole 9/11 thing, they apparently aren't worth all the money they get.

Quote Originally Posted by 1victor
    MMC78, makes an excellent point. As far as funding schools agreed but people are only as smart ar their intellect, you can't educate Forest Gump into a Physicist. Anyone can learn even in todays environment, it's the cream rising to the top, we are not all created equal when it comes to intelligence.
    I agree with what you're saying, but even the most brilliant minds still need motivators and resources from which to learn. Many inner city schools lack both. Libraries with no or inadequate computers.....teachers that just barely do the minimum (i.e. they don't challenge the intelligent to inspire them to learn). Even the fastest greyhound isn't fast at all w/o that fake rabbit leading him around the track....you know what I mean? Also, books; there are so many great novels that I believe everyone should have read, but many school libraries and public libraries are awful and don't even have some of the basic classics. For the cream to rise, it takes potential, motivation, and resources.

Einstein,
    indeed motivators are needed but teachers today lack the motivation to motivate the kids if you know what I mean. We need to pay them more money and hold them accountable for each students progress. This no child left behind thing is horrible. It forces teachers and admin to push kids ahead that should be left back because if eveyone doesn't make it they lose funding, I think it's a sliding scale.

Quote Originally Posted by 1victor
    Einstein,
    indeed motivators are needed but teachers today lack the motivation to motivate the kids if you know what I mean. We need to pay them more money and hold them accountable for each students progress. This no child left behind thing is horrible. It forces teachers and admin to push kids ahead that should be left back because if eveyone doesn't make it they lose funding, I think it's a sliding scale.
    Exactly, and to do that, we can certainly take money from the more superfluous programs that NASA has going on and redistribute it to general education. The no child left behind BS not only pushes forward those that aren't ready, it also caters the teaching to the lowest common denominator and really lacks an optimal environment for even the moderately intelligent students. There just isn't money and resources to provide separate classes for the students of differing degrees of intelligence....I'm not saying there needs to be complete segregation, but some additional, more challenging material is definitely needed to hold their interest.

You'll often hear people saying America is the greatest country there is......
    Why then do we have the most money, yet we distribute it in such a way that we rank mid 20's in education in the world? There are many countries where the $ per capita is so much lower than here, yet their education is so much better than here, and additionally, crime is so much less frequent in these places, which correlates very well with education

Very very good points guys. dbarcelo i think the CIA should have the right to assassinate (your going to hate me for that i know)

At times I think the CIA should be able to assasinate people also, but I realize that comes from what information or misinformation I've been given by the media. I also realize that we end up taking matters in our own hands and decide what's better for everyone else by assasinating someone. If you think about it, it's not all too difficult for the government to push out a bunch of negative publicity about a person and then justify assasinating them. Then you have colateral damage with assasination attempts. Didn't Bush Sr. try to assasinate Kadafi by bombing his house and only ended up hurting his young children? I'm not really stuck on either side of it, but right now, just off the top of my head, I don't think it's really a good idea for the CIA to be trying to assasinate people.

i think if we stay out of other peoples problems and make sure no one uses and wmd's then the world will like us more

Forget the world liking us more, we would like ourselves more. I'm pretty sure most families of fallen soldiers aren't too happy that they got killed for something that's not really our concern. But then if you look at what happened in WWII, we were trying to stay out of it and Japan dragged us into it by attacking us. So it's a two edged sword. We're damed if we do and we're dammed if we don't.

i think we would have got into WW2 anyway. after europe and then wherever, hitler wouldve tried to come here

If Japan used their military force against Germany instead of against us, Hitler wouldn't have had the time or the manpower to come after us. Japan would have probably been able to beat Hitler. He would have probably been another Napolian. Hitler would have split his troups and tried to deal with Europe and Japan at the same time and would have lost. Japan messed up by going after us when we were trying to stay out of it, but then we wouldn't be considered a super power if we didn't have Japan to use to set the example of our military strength by means of the Atom bomb.

Thread Information