Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    kdawg21 is offline Associate Member

Assault Weapons Ban Sunset

Yea so less than 5 weeks until the assualt weapons ban expires. I am looking forward to it there is an AR-10 that I have had my eye on for a while. Anyone have anything they want to add?

Lozgod is offline Anabolic Member
    Ill add something. The ban is stupid. Criminals dont register their guns anyway.

EastCoaster is offline Banned
    I have a major problem with gun laws as they are.... We (the USA) have over 10,000 deaths a year related to guns. In other civilized countries like Canada, France, and England where guns are outlawed, there are less than 100 gun related deaths a year.

humm.... I think I see an answer to our problem.

Quote Originally Posted by EastCoaster
    I have a major problem with gun laws as they are.... We (the USA) have over 10,000 deaths a year related to guns. In other civilized countries like Canada, France, and England where guns are outlawed, there are less than 100 gun related deaths a year.

Typical liberal hippy crap. All banning guns would do is save human lives. Then how in the hell are the redneck hillbillies going to shoot defenseless animals and call it sport? I agree bro, but that would be too simple.

most people are killed with .22 or 380 caliber pistols, they are cheap and easy to conceal, not to mention disposable. Were it not for the name "assault" no one would care.

Quote Originally Posted by kdawg21
    Were it not for the name "assault" no one would care.
    Yeah and the little fact about the attacks with assault weapons at schools in California that prompted the banning in the first place. I say ban all guns and make the hunters kill the animals with their hands in stead of 100 yards away with a gun like a coward.

JT2k is offline Associate Member
    You gun control advocates have lost your **** mind. Wanting to ban every gun? Idiocy. Kdawg I would love to have a hk g36 but i dont have the 4 k for it. And by the way i would love to see the "gun nazi's" come door to door to take the guns where i live that **** wouldnt happen it would be a mini revolution.

MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EastCoaster

Adjust for population, poverty rates and racial tensions. And if you're still convinced that the US is such a dangerous place to live in, do us all a favor and move somewhere else.

Anhydro78 is offline Anabolic Member
    I think they should ban cheap guns like mentioned above. That would,nt affect me one bit. Most of the weapons used in inner city crime is really peice of crap cheap guns. Ussually people with enough money to buy nice guns are not going around shooting people over their wallet.

East Coaster you are straight lying!!!!! Another liberal that cant watch their tounge!!!

If all of you guys dont agree with gun laws I assume you will voting for the guy who let the Assult Weapons Ban expire. Right????

Quote Originally Posted by Anhydro78
    East Coaster you are straight lying!!!!! Another liberal that cant watch their tounge!!!

How did I lie? I stated facts above. Facts taken from the book Deviant Behavior Seventh Edition by Alex Thio, page 67, second paragraph.

"Every year, our counrty has over 10,000 handgun homicides compared with less with 100 in other industrialized nations such as Canada, England, and Japan, where guns are much harder to get."

So please tell me where I lied?

You obviously have some kind of problem with me because you come to all my posts and try to challenge me. I respect your difference in opinion, but please be more education in your statements. Ignorance is a horrible thing to spread.

TheOak182 is offline Associate Member
    Is it true in the US if you own an assualt rifle you lose a lot of your rights? I heard something like the goverment can search your home at any time and $Hit like that, is it true?

Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    Eastcoaster what's your response to MMC78's last post?

On a side note, I dont support the idea to have guns outlawed totally. In addition to the Brady Bill, I would like to make them less accessible. The Brady Bill was a good restriction, but it does nothing for the guns purchased on the streets and pon shops.

I have several ideas that I'm working to get to congress. My ideas will start at the gun manufactures, for starters, with the serial number being put inside the gun... in a way that the gun would be destroyed beyond repair for it to be accessbile. That way we can trace all guns back to the roots. I dont want to openly post my whole plan, but it comes together pretty well, and I think it would greatly reduce the availability of newer guns to the streets. PM me if you'd like details.
    Last edited by EastCoaster; 08-13-2004 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1victor
    Eastcoaster what's your response to MMC78's last post?

read above

Quote Originally Posted by MMC78
    Adjust for population, poverty rates and racial tensions.

And you dont adjust population and answer racial tension by giving guns to the streets and letting them kill each other. Thats ludicrous.

Fine then , forget about the other, adjusting for population alone would make those numbers of yours much less "dramatic".

ok, lets get back to the topic at hand.......

Anyone care to argue that assault weapons should be banned?

Nope.

Adjust for population, poverty rates and racial tensions.
    What does population and racial tension have to do with anything? Does being in a highly populated area cause gun violence? Also I dont think that there are even 50 racially motivated shootings in the US a year, except maybe when the cops shoot some black kid. Poverty plays a role, but i happens in rich, poor, white, black, urban, and rural areas. No guns=no shootings. Who cares if some hillbilly cant shoot ducks, I would rather see human beings not die.

Before anyone calls me a tree hugger, I am against gay marriage, I think the death penalty is a good thing when used appropriately, and I have no problem punching a mother fu**er in the mouth if I feel the desire to. So no I am not some hippy liberal.

Quote Originally Posted by Lozgod
    What does population and racial tension have to do with anything? Does being in a highly populated area cause gun violence? Also I dont think that there are even 50 racially motivated shootings in the US a year, except maybe when the cops shoot some black kid. Poverty plays a role, but i happens in rich, poor, white, black, urban, and rural areas. No guns=no shootings. Who cares if some hillbilly cant shoot ducks, I would rather see human beings not die.
    If there's 10,000 gun deaths in a country with a population of 280million people, then comparing the total number of gun deaths with a country of 30 million people doesn't really make sense.

Racial and economic tensions exist in this country at extremely elevated levels compared with the UK and France. EastCoaster is asserting that the sheer number of guns in the US accounts for the gun related violence. What I'm saying is that other factors play a large role in the number of gun related murders.

If there's 10,000 gun deaths in a country with a population of 280million people, then comparing the total number of gun deaths with a country of 30 million people doesn't really make sense.

Racial and economic tensions exist in this country at extremely elevated levels compared with the UK and France. EastCoaster is asserting that the sheer number of guns in the US accounts for the gun related violence. What I'm saying is that other factors play a large role in the number of gun related murders.
    I agree with Eastcoaster. You can add all the other ingredients in multiply them by 1000000000 but the bottom line is ...... no guns = no gun deaths.

Canada's population: 32,507,874

Gun deaths and injuries in Canada are a serious public health problem, claiming more than 1200 lives each year and resulting in over 1000 hospitalizations.

1200 gun related deaths in a country of 32.5 million. - Canada

Ratio: 1 in 27,083

United States Population: 293,993,600

Section I: Gun Violence in the United States
    The Nature of the Problem and Current Trends

In 1996 (the most recent year for which data are available), 34,040 people died from gunfire in the United States.

Ratio: 1 in 8636

Statistics say you are 3 times more likely to die from a gun related death in the USA. So banning guns would save two thirds of the lives we lose every year. Thats not small peanuts, thats alot of people. Lots of innocent children caught in the cross fire, senior citizens that are the victim of violence, police officers, robbery victims, etc. etc. However I guess some people value owning a gun more than the lives of children.

If someone is going to kill someone they don't need a gun to do it. I have yet to see a gun jump up on it's own and blow someone away. It's not the guns fault it's the people that are killers. I just think America is a more violent country in general than others.

If someone is going to kill someone they don't need a gun to do it. I have yet to see a gun jump up on it's own and blow someone away. It's not the guns fault it's the people that are killers. I just think America is a more violent country in general than others.
    That is true, but do you have any idea how many people die from crossfire, most of these idiot gangbangers dont hit their target, they hit a 3 year old kid riding his bike. The problems with conservatives and liberals are that they worry more about having rights and being right than lookng at what is best for the whole. Liberals want stupid stuff like Gay Marriage and for no one to be able to drive a good riding 8 cylinder car in order to save the environment and conservatives want to allow everyone to have guns even though they result in deaths when ni the wrong hands. I don't see why John Q Public needs to own and AK-47 or even a .38. Take them from everybody and there are many many many lives saved. If some hick cries then I'll settle for that than to read the paper and here about some little kid die walking to school.

Loz everything you argue about is true. I lived in Philly in the crack epidemic and gangbanger days, I know what you are saying. The thing is criminals will get guns anyway so it makes sense to let noncriminals have access to them as weel IMO.

Loz everything you argue about is true. I lived in Philly in the crack epidemic and gangbanger days, I know what you are saying. The thing is criminals will get guns anyway so it makes sense to let noncriminals have access to them as weel IMO.
    The guns come through legit ownership, then they are stolen in burglaries, or sold and reported stolen, they dont just grow on trees, they have to be obtained from legit sources before they make it to the streets. Eliminate the traffic you eliminate the use. Banning them would eliminate many new ones getting on the street. However I do have first hand knowledge that alot do come from Military sources. When I got out of prison I ran guns for some JBM boys from down south to NYC. They were coming from a military base in a state I'll leave unnamed. So banning them wouldnt eliminate all of the street guns but a whole lot of them.

East coaster I have no personal problem with you. Ive only come to two of your posts and actually I figured you would be intresting to talk to or debate with. I have no ill feelings toward you. Maybe I was in a sh!thead mood when I posted. I dont know.

But your figures on the gun deaths are exaggerated heavily. Just look at Lozgods post and tell me that wasnt a lie. If those figures are correct. And what about states that let you carry concealed firearms???? It amazing but in Texas there is less crime in total. At least at one time it was like that im not sure what it is now.

I dont think the brady bill is all that of a bad idea. There is alot of times where Im mad at someone and if they where to cross my path I would thump in the head but if enough time goes by I ussually forget about it. So I think the brady bill is a great Idea. Besides just preventing murder it also prevents people that ussually wouldnt do something like that from commiting a crime. If it was up to me I would say make the waiting period even longer. If you are a gun collector there is no reason you have to have another pistol within a week. Agreed?????

OK about assult weapons, most of these weapons are too expensive for scumbags to even get ahold of. If you are buying nicely made guns thats one thing. But cheap guns like Ak-47 made in china and arab countrys are too cheap for what they are. And have a chance of falling into the wrong hands. Now I have a Russian made original folding stock Ak-47 with flash suppressor knife and 30 round clip. I love shooting this thing. But you also couldnt touch one of these for less than $1,500 so the chances of the scumbags in the inner city getting ahold of one is nil. A springfeild armory Ar15 is about $2,000 once again there isnt gonna be a kid robbing people on the streets with one of these. I only buy nice nice guns.

What needs to be made illegal is these little 22 cal and 380cal midnight specials that inner city kids can get for a crack rock. I have not ever seen a decent person own one of these. i dont think you will either.

What do you guys think???

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Adjusting for population will not even put a dent in death by firearms compared by country stats. Every study compars things on a per capita basis, otherwise you are comparing apples to oranges. For the record I am Canadian and it is my belief we should have gun laws closer to that of the USA, so don't play the 'shut up you hippie Liberal' card.

Fine then , forget about the other, adjusting for population alone would make those numbers of yours much less "dramatic".

UrbanLegend is offline Senior Member
    Most assult weapons are too expensive IMO......A good example is an MP5, they suck for the price. I know someone who has one, and it cost around 4K$...which is a waste considering he doesn't have the FFL licence to get the full auto one.

IMO guns are a constitutional right (thats not an opinion, just part of what I am basing my opnion on) and provide a great deal of security. People will be quick to point out the number of deaths that are caused by guns, do you think that number would dramatically decrease that much if guns were illegalized? Instead the black market would be stronger, what happned to AAS when it was banned will be exactly what happens to guns...So people would get their guns anway, most of them being criminals. And besides, criminals will get their guns anwyay, and they don't register for them so its not like selling guns in this country is what is supplying criminals with their weaponry.

We are all safer when criminals don't know who's armed. If someone steps into my place, my roomate has a Glock19 ready to handle that punk, and that gives me great comfort. If guns were illegalized, I would bet all my earthly possessions that there would be a huge increase in the number of reports of breaking and entering and other crimes. Guns deter criminals, but of course the extreme libs want them to have more rights than law abiding citizens.........

Im with you Urban legand

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend
    We are all safer when criminals don't know who's armed. If someone steps into my place, my roomate has a Glock19 ready to handle that punk, and that gives me great comfort. If guns were illegalized, I would bet all my earthly possessions that there would be a huge increase in the number of reports of breaking and entering and other crimes. Guns deter criminals, but of course the extreme libs want them to have more rights than law abiding citizens.........
    OK 1 you cant smuggle guns in your pocket like you can AAS that is a horrible comparison. I mean you think a 10 pound 1 foot long package that sets off metal detectors osnt going to raise an eyebrow in customs?

You dont think them kids that get killed are as improtant as you having a gun? Yeah I guess you law abiding citizens need your guns you will provbaly never use to defend yourself not once in your life, but when some scumbag breaks in to your house and steals it and puts it in to the hands of another scumbag and another child, or cop, or senior citizen, or father, or mother dies at an ATM at the end of the day at least your rights weren't violated.

The problem is that if they made guns illegal they would only be taking the guns from law biding people that have them registered. The criminals would still have a bunch of guns. Most of the criminals guns are old peice of crap guns. How many gun stores you see in the getto??? They dont buy new guns they trade crack rock for guns. And they dont care about gun laws.n But we would all ease the criminals minds knowing that the govermnet went around rounding up all the productive law biding peoples guns. Then the criminals dont have to worry about getting shot when they break into peoples homes.

Quote Originally Posted by Anhydro78
    The problem is that if they made guns illegal they would only be taking the guns from law biding people that have them registered. The criminals would still have a bunch of guns. Most of the criminals guns are old peice of crap guns. How many gun stores you see in the getto??? They dont buy new guns they trade crack rock for guns. And they dont care about gun laws.n But we would all ease the criminals minds knowing that the govermnet went around rounding up all the productive law biding peoples guns. Then the criminals dont have to worry about getting shot when they break into peoples homes.
    You are missing my point. The guns are from legit sources first. They arent made or manufactured underground. So if Joe Citizen has a gun, someone breaks in to his house when he isnt home, steals it, it is now on the street. Thats how most guns get on the streets. They originate from legit ownership, therefore, if there is no gun ownership by the citizens that is less guns being siphoned to the street. Then comes the task of getting them off the streets. Then comes less gun related crime. Then its safer to walk the streets of Philadelphia where I live. Maybe if you live in a low crime area you cant relate to street crime. It doesnt happen in your backyard so you dont care, but I have seen murder scenes where little children die from gunfire that had nothing to do with them. I think a childs life is more valuble than anyone's "right" to own a gun.

UrbanLegend is offline Senior Member
    OK 1 you cant smuggle guns in your pocket like you can AAS that is a horrible comparison. I mean you think a 10 pound 1 foot long package that sets off metal detectors osnt going to raise an eyebrow in customs?
    Its the black market senerio, which is a good analogy, not the exact dispensing of them. And guns can be smuggled in on ships, military personal, ect....they don't have to use the same methods as AAS dealers.

You dont think them kids that get killed are as improtant as you having a gun? Yeah I guess you law abiding citizens need your guns you will provbaly never use to defend yourself not once in your life, but when some scumbag breaks in to your house and steals it and puts it in to the hands of another scumbag and another child, or cop, or senior citizen, or father, or mother dies at an ATM at the end of the day at least your rights weren't violated.
    So if guns were illegalized those problems would go away? I am not saying you don't have a good point, but all that would be happening is citizens would be disarmed while criminals wouldn't be.
    Last edited by UrbanLegend; 08-13-2004 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend
    So if guns were illegalized those problems would go away?
    100% no of course not, but would there be a substantial reduction, hell yeah.

Statistics say you are 3 times more likely to die from a gun related death in the USA. So banning guns would save two thirds of the lives we lose every year. Thats not small peanuts, thats alot of people. Lots of innocent children caught in the cross fire, senior citizens that are the victim of violence, police officers, robbery victims, etc. etc. However I guess some people value owning a gun more than the lives of children.
    Nothing you've presented gives evidence that restricting firearm ownership in the US would reduce the number of gun related murders. The murder rate in the US is 5.7/100,000 and in Canada 1.8/100,000.
    Total US murders: ~16,000
    Total CA murders: ~600

There are approximately 100 gun realted murders in CA/year leaving 500 non-gun murders. In the US, there were 9,400, leaving approx 7,500 non-gun murders.

Adjusting for population (assume that Canada has the population of the states)
    CA 4,200 vs US 7,500 non-gun related murders per year.

You're still nearly twice as likely to die in the US from a non-gun related murder than in Canada.

The only conclusion that you can draw from this data is that We are inheriently more violent than our neighbors to the north. Posession of firearms is only a part of the puzzle that explains the high murder rate in the US.

It's not really up to the average citizen of the US whether guns are legal or not. The supreme court has ruled time and time again that the 2nd ammendment grants the right for citizens to own firearms. If you don't like it, I suggest that you find another country to reside in because that will never change.

Swellin Guest
    As far as the AWB...I hope it sunsets without being replaced by something worse. There are bills on the table that will outlaw the Ruger 10/22 ...WTF????? It is not an AW or a big bad black gun. I own some assualt weapons. I own some NFA items (expensive and difficult to purchase).

As for using a firearm for self defense....I have done so. I have a CCP in my state the reciprocates with other bordering states. I forced my wife to learn about firearms. I forced her to carry one after she got her CCP. Twice...she has used the weapon in self defense (without having to fire a single round...but ready to do so). She is a pharmacist in a city that surpassed DC for the highest per capita rate in the US...for at least two years (I'm not certain where it stand now, but it is pretty bad).

So yes, firearms in the hands of a licensed, prepared citizen can make a difference. In all likelihood, it has prevented (at the very least) her rape and mugging.

All of your numbers will not change my opinion on my wife's life.

Nothing you've presented gives evidence that restricting firearm ownership in the US would reduce the number of gun related murders.
    The only conclusion that you can draw from this data is that We are inheriently more violent than our neighbors to the north. Posession of firearms is only a part of the puzzle that explains the high murder rate in the US.

It's not really up to the average citizen of the US whether guns are legal or not. The supreme court has ruled time and time again that the 2nd ammendment grants the right for citizens to own firearms. If you don't like it, I suggest that you find another country to reside in because that will never change.
    Well to say that I can not draw the conclusion that restricting gun ownership would reduce crimemakes your conclusion hypocritical because you drew your conclusion based on an opinion you chose with the evidence presented to you. Like I said you can say everything 1000 times but the answer is simple. No Guns=No Gun Realated Death.

I agree that we will always have guns and gun ownership in this country, our government is so ass backwards it is never going away, just like they ban ephedra but allow tobacco sales. If there is a beneficial profit for them that takes priority over human life. So yeah it is in the constitution but that doesnt make it right. I have been shot in a robbery over a coat and boots, thats why I fel the way I do. I guess if I would of died that wouldn't shake your opinion one bit, because you have to have your gun, cant live without it. No matter how many innocent people die as a result of your rights it doesnt matter. I sincerely hope you never have to deal with you or your family being a victim of gun violence. Honestly I believe that guns are a way for men with small penises to feel like a man, but thats JMO.

cavemanspearchucker is offline Associate Member
    anyone ever consider an education program as a prerequisite for owning a firearm? my father has his ffl and ive been raised around guns my entire life. I see dumbass with guns all the time and they scare me more than a criminal with a gun. oh btw the ban is on magazines of assault weapons aswell. first thing on my shopping list ruger factory mags. See the funny thing is its illigal to manufacture or import magazines for assault weapons before the ban. so most of the magazines(clips) are pieces of **** and jam like sumbitches. Oh u can still order parts for assault weapons everythiing included but the reciever( which u can make if you know how to machine parts) without an ffl.
    just my 2-cents but i think the ban is rediculas so is an ffl. i hate giving the government anymore control over myself or giving them an in into my private life

cavemanspearchucker is offline Associate Member
    "never let anyone know what u have,ever!" words of wisdom from the Original Caveman(my father)

Here we have an interesting problem, those who say that we should not have guns. These same people tout the premises of the Declaration of Independence.... Life, Liberty and Property (or Thomas Jefferson's bastardization.... Life, liberty and the pursuit of Happiness..... Jefferson was a hippy coward who fled from the Brittish later on) This stems from a long line of political writings dating back to THomas Hobbes, however it was John Locke who made the "life, liberty and property" part famous. One of the basic tennets of the American constitution is the protection of life and property. Above all the right of one to simply live, the second amendment, the right to bear arms is an extension of this. Guns serve as a means of protecting life and property thus one can make the claim that owning a gun could be considered a natural right. Why would you want to remove those things that provide security to your life and property?

As a side note, it was Hitler who removed all of the Guns in Germany before WWII to curb dissention........ Its always the Republicans that are called fascist or Nazis.... looks like liberal stook a page from his book though..........
    Last edited by kdawg21; 08-13-2004 at 10:36 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information