Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    nickrizz is offline Anabolic Member

Why i think college is a waist of time

I believe this should be in this forum because politicians should start protesting state sponsored schools like the one i go to due to this CRAP....

I am fed up with college... i think it is a complete waist of time unless you are going to be a:
    -Lawyer
    -Doctor (including Psychology)
    -Teacher
    -Anything with Finance

(if i missed any let me know).

When you go to college as i am (5 classes left to graduate). You have to take regular classes also known at my school as GER's (General educational Requirements). These classes are taken before your major.

My point is i have found the reason for taking these waste of time classes. Because it makes the economy go... if these teachers who majored in these classes in college and have become PhD's in this field couldnt teach it in college they would have a PhD and be jobless.

What job are you going to get with a major in:
    -Mythology (youll never work)
    -Justice Systems (doesnt help to get hired)
    -Sociology (no one wants to be a social worker at 20k a year)
    -Communications (unless your Stern good luck)
    -Theater (if you were a good actor you would be acting)
    -Film (unless ebert and roper have fun)
    -Religion (be a priest or nun youll make same amount of money when graduate NOTHING)
    -PHILOSOPHY (not even going to comment here)
    -Music (briney spears, jessica simpson, chrisina agulara NO COLLEGE)
    -Dance (my cousin dances on broadway and went to college for a semester and said the teacher didnt know jack what a waste)
    -Child Advocacy (DYFUS making 20k a year)
    -Art and design (Same as dance major)

most of them isnt going to get you a job that pays more than 20k a year... i have debated this thousands of times... I am a justice studies major.. they should call it waste my and my parents money major... I will never get a job in this field because if i want to be in some kind of law enforcement like local cop you have to pass the civil service test and college doesnt mean anything.

Last thing: If you are majoring in any of these i dont mean to knock you, i major in one of them too i am just being a realist

PLUS if you are going to major in these dont make your parents or yourself go to a $30,000 a year college, go to a community school then a state school, save people some money.
    Last edited by nickrizz; 08-20-2004 at 07:34 AM.

biglouie250 is offline Anabolic Member
    dont forget poly sci...waht are ya gonna be the next US president?

seriously, thank you for agreeing i usually have to argue my ass off... my friend has a learining disability and couldnt get into college he is now a union electrician making 20/hr and my other friend is union painter making 30/hr and they both couldnt get into college. im going to graduate and be so JOBLESS!!!!!!!!!

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    I work in the Tech area. Most people have economics, business, political science degrees. Rare to see someone wit a computer science degree. You either have the talent and work ethic or you don't. College gets you in the door when people do not know you. Once you build up a good network and have proven yourself to some key people in an industry your set.

College is big business and they have many bent over a barrel. You are right about going to a two year school first and then transferring. I have used my employer's benefits to pay for an associates degree, bachelor's, and now about 1/2 way done an MBA.

physio_sport is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nickrizz
    PLUS if you are going to major in these dont make your parents or yourself go to a $30,000 a year college, go to a community school then a state school, save people some money.
    wtf you guys pay $30,000 to go to college?

in the uk you pay something like between £50-£150 a year which is $90-$300
    max even in the most best and repected college.

co2boi is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by physio_sport

That's because they tax the hell out of you so you can have free (or cheap) medical care, education, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by co2boi
    That's because they tax the hell out of you so you can have free (or cheap) medical care, education, etc.
    no they don't where did you get that information from?

we pay 22% tax, but we get free health care, cheap/free education, help with living etc..

if you add all that up sepretly like health insurance and the $30,000 college and so on, we would end up paying more then 22% of our wages for these other things.

also you can claim some of your tax money back if you have a buisness or have children. you the money back so you can spend it on your familly and children.

seriously, thank you for agreeing i usually have to argue my ass off... my friend has a learining disability and couldnt get into college he is now a union electrician making 20/hr and my other friend is union painter making 30/hr and they both couldnt get into college. im going to graduate and be so JOBLESS!!!!!!!!!

me and you agreeing?? something is wrong here!! But yea i totally agree, today its more of what a HS diploma was 15-20yrs ago, you just need it. My mothers boss has her masters, administrators degree, PhD and she is a freeking retard. Just a piece of paper that lets you get certain jobs IMO.

no they don't where did you get that information from?

we pay 22% tax, but we get free health care, cheap/free education, help with living etc..

if you add all that up sepretly like health insurance and the $30,000 college and so on, we would end up paying more then 22% of our wages for these other things.

also you can claim some of your tax money back if you have a buisness or have children. you the money back so you can spend it on your familly and children.
    Oh, sorry I guess I was misinformed. I was told that by people from different places in Europe (don't remember exactly where). I may just be incorrectly recalling what they said. That's a pretty good deal though. Is the education and medical system there good?

I semi-agree about the college thing. Although you can weasel your way through, it does take a certain level of dedication. On the other hand, I've been a professional programmer for almost 5 years now and I never, ever use anything I learned in college. Everything I use I taught myself or learned from co-workers

Oh, sorry I guess I was misinformed. I was told that by people from different places in Europe (don't remember exactly where). I may just be incorrectly recalling what they said. That's a pretty good deal though. Is the education and medical system there good?

I semi-agree about the college thing. Although you can weasel your way through, it does take a certain level of dedication. On the other hand, I've been a professional programmer for almost 5 years now and I never, ever use anything I learned in college. Everything I use I taught myself or learned from co-workers
    in some parts of europe taxes are quite high, but not in the united kingdom.
    the uk has quite low taxes compared to most parts of europe.
    the only thing we get taxed to hell is from petrol and other fuel and thats really about it.

Yea man its all on the job training. You learn concepts, theories and rules in college. Being on a job teaches you how things are done in the real world. (If my tax professor could see some of the ish that Ive done! haha)

also im i the only one who has noticed that college and university produces some cocky bastards with an attitude.

for example the people who always tell you what uni they went to when you meet them.

eg.

physio: hi
    gay boy: hi
    physio:your quite good at mathmatics
    gay boy: yes i am, this is becuase i was educated in the best uni in the world, i was educated in oxford university, oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that.
    physio: shut up
    gay boy: no becuase i went to oxford university i can do whatever i want
    physio: *bitch slap* now be quite.

also im i the only one who has noticed that college and university produces some cocky bastards with an attitude.

for example the people who always tell you what uni they went to when you meet them.

eg.

physio: hi
    gay boy: hi
    physio:your quite good at mathmatics
    gay boy: yes i am, this is becuase i was educated in the best uni in the world, i was educated in oxford university, oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that,oxford university had this, oxford university had that.
    physio: shut up
    gay boy: no becuase i went to oxford university i can do whatever i want
    physio: *bitch slap* now be quite.
    werd...

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    that's why those degree's aren't given as much weight, and value when we see them here..

The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.

Why the Police will Kick your ass

Quote Originally Posted by spywizard
    that's why those degree's aren't given as much weight, and value when we see them here..

hahaha good ol' Spywizard!! Wonder also about those online degree courses like Phoenix online or AIG. Think they get the same recognition by potential employers as the people who actually go to college?

Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    I agree that colleges force people to take classes that are totally worthless. It's called extortortion, you don't get your degree if you don't take them. Man that ticks me off! I really believe that a good technical or trade school is better today than a generic dergree.

From actually working full time and going to college (which most dont), in the REAL WORLD its not what you know but who you know

Quote Originally Posted by 1victor
    I agree that colleges force people to take classes that are totally worthless. It's called extortortion, you don't get your degree if you don't take them. Man that ticks me off! I really believe that a good technical or trade school is better today than a generic dergree.
    I have convinced my brother and parents not to send my bro to college, let him go work at a trade for 5 years and open his own buisness. Thats where the money is

Rizz no truer words have been spoken. By the way how's your dry ass chicken doing?

true true. I had to take like 4 BS marketing classes for my accounting degree yet only 1 audit class. The is an audit part of the CPA exam, no marketing part.... need to re-evaluate how they teach some things. Also I asked a prof why we needed to take so many Lib arts credits and told him i didnt want a nonsense answer like "its making you a more well round person". He said that all the depts are very protective of their credits because of funding issues.....

ok, no jelly on it today, today is a cheat day so im going to get 40 chicken nuggets from wendys with 3 baked potatoes..... sweet and sour and BBQ sauce is better than the lube we were discussing yesturday

and biglouie one of us must be sick that we are agreeing, im going to check my temperature brb

Quote Originally Posted by biglouie250
    Also I asked a prof why we needed to take so many Lib arts credits and told him i didnt want a nonsense answer like "its making you a more well round person". He said that all the depts are very protective of their credits because of funding issues.....

BECAUSE those teachers wouldnt have jobs if we didnt have to take their stupid classes... i had to take mythology in college, where the hell would that teacher work?!?!?!?!??!?!!?

Plus.............. i do believe we should take math, reading, writing, computer skills, and some history and a little science... college should have same classes as high school but on a harder level

BECAUSE those teachers wouldnt have jobs if we didnt have to take their stupid classes... i had to take mythology in college, where the hell would that teacher work?!?!?!?!??!?!!?

Plus.............. i do believe we should take math, reading, writing, computer skills, and some history and a little science... college should have same classes as high school but on a harder level

making me sick that we agree too. I had to take a intro to eastern religion class, supposed to teach undertanding, peace, yadda yadda yadda. made me hate them and a bunch of other religions as well.....

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    If 22% is the top income bracket in the UK, then I'm the Queen of England. Compared to the USA, the UK is not a low tax jurisdiction. Income tax is a great topic but we should leave it for another thread.

Depends on what you want to do but a good case can be made for trade/tecnical school; no doubt about it. My biggest reason for not wanting to do a trade for a living is that I don't believe the money is there when you factor in longevity into the equation.

lets see some waste of money.... i mean intellectual classes i took:

CMPT-108-01 COMPUTERS & PROGRAMMING
    MATH-061-02 BASIC SKL II MTH LAB:ALG
    ENFL-208-02 INTRODUCTION TO THE FILM
    PSYC-101-03 GEN PSYCH I:GROWTH & DEV
    READ-102-01 COLL RDG/STDY SKLS IMPRV
    SPCM-101-03 FUND SPEECH:COMM REQMNT
    MATH-103-21 THE DEVELOPMNT OF MATH
    ANTH-210-01 URBAN ANTHROPOLOGY
    ENGL-106-05 INTRO TO LITERATURE
    PEMJ-227-01 SOCIAL PROBLEMS IN SPORT
    SOCI-220-02 SOCIOLGY:RICH/POOR NATNS
    GEOS-125-01 EARTH & THE ENVIRONMENT
    GNHU-282-01 ROMAN CIVILIZATION
    GNHU-285-05 MYTHOLOGY
    PHIL-100-01 INTRO TO PHILOSOPHY
    SOCI-204-01 SOCIOLOGY OF THE FAMILY
    SOCI-430-01 SOCIOLOGY OF GENDER
    POLS-100-04 INTRODUCTION TO POLITICS

If you want me to go on a rant about every one of these classes i can, but i wont waste your time if you dont want me to

i took human sexuality that was funny ish, a waste, but funny as hell!

Quote Originally Posted by spywizard
    what are you trying to say about uk education?

british education is one of the best in the world.

british college qualifactions are just as valid as anyother.

and you don;t get degrees from college in england you get AVCE,A level,GNVQ, Btec national diploma and btec internation diplomas.

you get degrees when you go to uni.

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    I suppose college isn't for everybody; not everyone would find much use for the classes you took. But for those who can learn from the past, those history classes would come in handy; for those wanting insight into the human psyche, those psychology, mythology, anthropology, literature, and sociology classes would be good. And everybody should take a few classes in political science, just so that they understand how the "system" works.

I'll agree with you about the math . . . I used to do budget forcasting for a big corporation, and even with all the Lotus 123 macrio writing I did, I never needed to know anything past basic algebra. There was one time I was messing with computer music, and knowing how to derive the 12th root of 2 came in handy on one occasion, but that was it. Ya, nowadays we've got calculators and computers to do the number crunching.

Anyway, it's too bad you won't be able to use all the education you've had.

-Tock

lets see some waste of money.... i mean intellectual classes i took:

CMPT-108-01 COMPUTERS & PROGRAMMING
    MATH-061-02 BASIC SKL II MTH LAB:ALG
    ENFL-208-02 INTRODUCTION TO THE FILM
    PSYC-101-03 GEN PSYCH I:GROWTH & DEV
    READ-102-01 COLL RDG/STDY SKLS IMPRV
    SPCM-101-03 FUND SPEECH:COMM REQMNT
    MATH-103-21 THE DEVELOPMNT OF MATH
    ANTH-210-01 URBAN ANTHROPOLOGY
    ENGL-106-05 INTRO TO LITERATURE
    PEMJ-227-01 SOCIAL PROBLEMS IN SPORT
    SOCI-220-02 SOCIOLGY:RICH/POOR NATNS
    GEOS-125-01 EARTH & THE ENVIRONMENT
    GNHU-282-01 ROMAN CIVILIZATION
    GNHU-285-05 MYTHOLOGY
    PHIL-100-01 INTRO TO PHILOSOPHY
    SOCI-204-01 SOCIOLOGY OF THE FAMILY
    SOCI-430-01 SOCIOLOGY OF GENDER
    POLS-100-04 INTRODUCTION TO POLITICS

If you want me to go on a rant about every one of these classes i can, but i wont waste your time if you dont want me to

[QUOTE=chicamahomico]If 22% is the top income bracket in the UK, then I'm the Queen of England. Compared to the USA, the UK is not a low tax jurisdiction. Income tax is a great topic but we should leave it for another thread.

youre right its not the top bracket in england but is what the vast majority pay.
    the top bracket is 40% but you have to be G's to be gettting taxed that much.
    but then again you also have a higher chance of claimming tax credits which allow you to claim tax money back.

what is the min and max tax you pay in the u.s.?

Chica, I agree with the longevity issue. Not everyone in a trade is an intellectual giant. If you are smart enough to earn a college degree but learn a trade instead I think it would make for an excellent opportunity to start your own business.

Quote Originally Posted by Tock
    I suppose college isn't for everybody; not everyone would find much use for the classes you took. But for those who can learn from the past, those history classes would come in handy; for those wanting insight into the human psyche, those psychology, mythology, anthropology, literature, and sociology classes would be good. And everybody should take a few classes in political science, just so that they understand how the "system" works.

I'll agree with you about the math . . . I used to do budget forcasting for a big corporation, and even with all the Lotus 123 macrio writing I did, I never needed to know anything past basic algebra. There was one time I was messing with computer music, and knowing how to derive the 12th root of 2 came in handy on one occasion, but that was it. Ya, nowadays we've got calculators and computers to do the number crunching.

Anyway, it's too bad you won't be able to use all the education you've had.

-Tock
    I understand what you are saying, but what im saying is if people want to take those classes then fine, but if they are never going to benefit me then why the hell should i take them and waste my time, you know?

I understand what you are saying, but what im saying is if people want to take those classes then fine, but if they are never going to benefit me then why the hell should i take them and waste my time, you know?

because as college students we dont know what is good for us...... you know thats the answer you are gonna get.

Badgerman is offline Banned
    As you get older you'll appreciate a well rounded education. I think there should be more emphasis placed on history so that the children could understand other countries better. Critical thinking is crucial to a vibrant society, so philosophy and religion classes are important too. My education was engineering orientated and I wish I would have taken more varied courses.

kdawg21 is offline Associate Member
    I have 3 degrees, Hisotry , Poli Sci, and Classics, and I had no problems finding a job. Some of you people really have issues.........

Quote Originally Posted by kdawg21
    I have 3 degrees, Hisotry , Poli Sci, and Classics, and I had no problems finding a job. Some of you people really have issues.........

You must love to read......I'm impressed

what do you do with those degrees tho (curiousity)? I dont think the point was not finding a job, but having a job you want/like....

Quote Originally Posted by biglouie250
    what do you do with those degrees tho (curiousity)? I dont think the point was not finding a job, but having a job you want/like....
    B.S.
    M.S.
    Ph.d

three degrees below zero.....

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerman
    As you get older you'll appreciate a well rounded education. I think there should be more emphasis placed on history so that the children could understand other countries better. Critical thinking is crucial to a vibrant society, so philosophy and religion classes are important too. My education was engineering orientated and I wish I would have taken more varied courses.
    I rather skip that stuff and learn ways to make money

Quote Originally Posted by kdawg21
    what do you do for a living (im not knocking you i just want to see how you worked all those degrees into one job)

kdawg21 is offline Associate Member
    I work for a District Attorney.

But what im saying is did you NEED all of those majors and all the ELECTIVES you had to take, i mean you must have a great job and a job like that is hard to get so maybe you did

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information