Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    chances is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    290

    Kerry jobs pitch

    Here is what Kerry says he's going to do about creating more jobs. Close some loophole that allows companies to outsource jobs. Anyone know what this loophole is? I keep hearing about it, but no one has said specifically what it is and where.

    Then Kerry went on to say that outsourcing will continue during a Kerry Edwards administration because it is a natural process in a global economy. So he's really not doing anything?

    That's it.

    If we're adding 140,000 - 150,000 jobs a month, and unemployment is at an alltime low at 5.4%, which most economists consider full employment. Where is the job problem? Sure it's harder to find a job, because there are less jobs, because more people are working. How is that a bad thing?

    chance

  2. #2
    sin's Avatar
    sin
    sin is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    here
    Posts
    1,085
    Quote Originally Posted by chances
    Here is what Kerry says he's going to do about creating more jobs. Close some loophole that allows companies to outsource jobs. Anyone know what this loophole is? I keep hearing about it, but no one has said specifically what it is and where.

    Then Kerry went on to say that outsourcing will continue during a Kerry Edwards administration because it is a natural process in a global economy. So he's really not doing anything?

    That's it.

    If we're adding 140,000 - 150,000 jobs a month, and unemployment is at an alltime low at 5.4%, which most economists consider full employment. Where is the job problem? Sure it's harder to find a job, because there are less jobs, because more people are working. How is that a bad thing?

    chance
    5.4% is not an all-time low. in '98 it was at 4.4%, and it stayed that way for over 18 months.

  3. #3
    sin's Avatar
    sin
    sin is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    here
    Posts
    1,085
    oh yeah, and at the same time inflation was at the lowest it had been in forty years.

  4. #4
    biglouie250's Avatar
    biglouie250 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,401
    i think that even with "full employment" which is what we virtually have people still want better jobs.... i dont know if kerry or bush can provide that. As far as outsourcing i dont think there is a loophole that allows companies to outsource jobs, its there right to have the work done where ever they please i think what he meant was to take away their tax incentives, benefits etc. I think his gripe was that they are using govt incentives to conduct business and then they are not rewarding the american worker with jobs but the foreign worker instead. Even by doing this it would still be chaeper to outsource jobs. i know its becoming a hotly debated issue but i believe its here to stay.

  5. #5
    bermich's Avatar
    bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    4,808
    With the internet and global trading, it is impossible to limit outsourcing. Like I said before: The more jobs other countries have, the better their economy will be, thus providing us with more trade.

    BTW. Kerrys wife, the owner of the Heins industry is one of the BIGGEST outsourcing companies in the US. Kinda like shooting a gun owner because you dont like guns.

  6. #6
    bermich's Avatar
    bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    4,808
    Quote Originally Posted by sin
    5.4% is not an all-time low. in '98 it was at 4.4%, and it stayed that way for over 18 months.
    Isnt 5.4 percent higher than 4.4 percent?

  7. #7
    biglouie250's Avatar
    biglouie250 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,401
    Quote Originally Posted by bermich
    With the internet and global trading, it is impossible to limit outsourcing. Like I said before: The more jobs other countries have, the better their economy will be, thus providing us with more trade.

    BTW. Kerrys wife, the owner of the Heins industry is one of the BIGGEST outsourcing companies in the US. Kinda like shooting a gun owner because you dont like guns.

    kerry's wife doesnt own anything she is a major shareholer of the heinz corp. and that isnt her family. its from her first husband.....seantor Heinz. Her maiden name is not Heinz.

  8. #8
    biglouie250's Avatar
    biglouie250 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,401
    Quote Originally Posted by bermich
    Isnt 5.4 percent higher than 4.4 percent?

    yes it is..... thats what he stated.

  9. #9
    chicamahomico's Avatar
    chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Hoss's Moms bedroom
    Posts
    2,993
    That number of unemployment can only go so low as the largest part of it is so-called 'frictional unemployment', which is an idea that captures temporary transitions in the labour market which account for a large chunk of the unemployment figure. Examples of this are: people who opt to return to school, people between jobs, seasonal workers, contract workers, people who opt out of work due to other considerations (caring for an ailing family memeber, personal injury, etc)

    Further restrictions on outsourcing is nothing more than short term pain relief which causes a long term problem.....outsourcing is a fact of life and to artificially keep a domestic worker competitive reduces their value in the global economy becuase with less competition (they no longer compete with offshore workers to the same extent) they have little incentive to improve their skills or become more productive. A colossally bad move IMO.....free trade is good, even if some uncompetitive domestic workers lose their job because of it.

  10. #10
    EastCoaster's Avatar
    EastCoaster is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,798
    Let me answer your question for you. When he says that he is going to eliminate some of the "loopholes", one thing he means is that he is going to eliminate the Tax Cuts business get for outsourcing... which is one of the big reasons companies outsource, along with the fact they pay somebody from india $3 dollars an hour to do the job an American was doing for $18.

  11. #11
    sin's Avatar
    sin
    sin is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    here
    Posts
    1,085
    Quote Originally Posted by bermich
    Isnt 5.4 percent higher than 4.4 percent?
    it sure is. so, right now 5.4% of the population is unemployed. in 1998 4.4% of the population was unemployed. six years ago there were less unemployed then there are now. perhaps try to think of it in whole number terms, 1 is smaller than 2, 2 is smaller than 3, 3 is smaller than 4, 4 is smaller than 5, and so on. make sense?

  12. #12
    chances is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    290
    So the loophole that Kerry keeps talking about isn't a loophole at all? Corporations get tax credits to outsource jobs overseas? Anyone know specifically what tax law says this? I just want to read the wording to see if this is twisting the original intent of the law or if it was actually written to allow it.

    And I'm sure you all know this but I want to say it anyway. Government or Presidential Administrations don't "create" jobs, private industry does. I'm still wondering how cut the tax credit or benefit or whatever is going to create more jobs here.

    chance
    Last edited by chances; 09-08-2004 at 10:41 AM.

  13. #13
    EastCoaster's Avatar
    EastCoaster is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,798
    Quote Originally Posted by chances
    So the loophole that Kerry keeps talking about isn't a loophole at all? Corporations get tax credits to outsource jobs overseas? Anyone know specifically what tax law says this? I just want to read the wording to see if this is twisting the original intent of the law or if it was actually written to allow it.

    And I'm sure you all know this but I want to say it anyway. Government or Presidential Administrations don't "create" jobs, private industry does. I'm still wondering how cut the tax credit or benefit or whatever is going to create more jobs here.

    chance

    The goverment does a lot fo provide jobs. FOR EXAMPLE, I frequent to several states, but I have a similar story with different results from two states that I live in. One stated whated to spend several million dollars to build an "outlet mall", but they could not get a goverment grant or loan to help cover the necessary costs. The result was roughly 1,200 people were never given the oppertunity for a job. Right about the same time, another state I live in received a grant from the goverment for several million dollars to build a popular retail store. This new investment created over 600 jobs, which would not have been possible without the goverment grant.


    We can afford 87 million dollars for Iraq, but we cant spent a few here in America. We're in over a 300 billion dollar deficit, where did all the money go? Only 87 million went to Iraq, wheres the other 299 billion?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kerry jobs pitch-budget.jpg  

  14. #14
    Badgerman's Avatar
    Badgerman is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    A mile High
    Posts
    3,089

    We can afford 87 million dollars for Iraq, but we cant spent a few here in America. We're in over a 300 billion dollar deficit, where did all the money go? Only 87 million went to Iraq, wheres the other 299 billion?
    Part of it's in Halliburton's pocket......that's fer sure

  15. #15
    hung-solo's Avatar
    hung-solo is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    HEELS 2005!!
    Posts
    3,977
    Quote Originally Posted by EastCoaster
    Let me answer your question for you. When he says that he is going to eliminate some of the "loopholes", one thing he means is that he is going to eliminate the Tax Cuts business get for outsourcing... which is one of the big reasons companies outsource, along with the fact they pay somebody from india $3 dollars an hour to do the job an American was doing for $18.

    EXACTLY!! unlike bush which he is pocketing from the elite buisnesses one way or another for letting them outsource without penalty

  16. #16
    saboudian's Avatar
    saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Michigan State University
    Posts
    1,712
    Bush is obviously pro big business, and alot of those unemployment numbers are very deceptive, for example they don't consider underemployed ppl. Bush is really just throwing out another 4 years of empty promises, but if kerry gets elected, to have any substantial effect on policy he will still have to work with congress which will likely still be a republican majority, so its unlikely that kerry will be able to implement his plans, or to at least some limited extent.

  17. #17
    EastCoaster's Avatar
    EastCoaster is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,798
    Quote Originally Posted by saboudian
    Bush is obviously pro big business, and alot of those unemployment numbers are very deceptive, for example they don't consider underemployed ppl. Bush is really just throwing out another 4 years of empty promises, but if kerry gets elected, to have any substantial effect on policy he will still have to work with congress which will likely still be a republican majority, so its unlikely that kerry will be able to implement his plans, or to at least some limited extent.

    True, and its a shame that the system is set up like this. In a country fueled by hate, the two biggest gangs in the United States are within the goverment... the Republican and Democratic parties.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •