Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Results 1 to 26 of 26
  1. #1
    Anhydro78's Avatar
    Anhydro78 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,439

    Dinosaurs in the bible

    Well I did have a sity in mind that had some pretty good examples of what these creatures where in the bible. I cant find it so Ill just say my peace.

    First most of the time when people disagree about something in religion they take either extreme side. They never consider that the truth may be a little of both. Good example Ive seen many people debate wether everything is predestined or not. Most people believe either everythihng is predestined or nothing is at all. But the bible speaks of predestination. It speaks of it alot, so the people that say it has never happened are dead wrong. but the people that believe that everything is predestined and all followers of Christ are choosen people. Are wrong as well its a combination of both.

    One thing that I have never seen anyone argue is that the bible prooves some of sciences theorys. One being that the dinosours where destroyed by a meteor. In revelations it gives a pretty good description of God destroying the earth with meteors again. Now at the time revelations was written, these people had no idea that is how the dinosours where killed. And how the earth was reformed.

    Now max2extreme thats an intresting theory about reptiles growing larger back in those days. The life spans of the people where drastically increased back in those days. ANd one theory that I have read about was that there was no rain back before the flood. And that all the water was acting like a barrier that surrounded the earth and protected everyone from the sun which would allow for people to live longer. Thats an intresting concept but I havnt seen any educated person weigh in on that one. ANd if true that would mean the only thing a person would need to do to live longer would be to stay indoors for the duration of their lives. I dont support this theory because I have no idea what role the sun has on the aging process. Besides skin aging.

    But the behemoth and leviathan are mentioned in a way that leads you to believe that Job is surrounded by these animals. What are these creatures?? Ive heard some explain leviathan as a crocodile. Would these people at this time consider a Croc as a monster of some sort I have no Idea. But for me it makes no sence to ague the point that dinosours walked with man. And to nonbelievers it only makes the christians look ignorant. It would be nice if there was more written about these creatures. I would think how ever that if dinosours walked with man there would be more about it in the bible. Im sure that scenerio would be a menace of some sort.

  2. #2
    EastCoaster's Avatar
    EastCoaster is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,798
    Quote Originally Posted by Anhydro78
    Well I did have a sity in mind that had some pretty good examples of what these creatures where in the bible. I cant find it so Ill just say my peace.

    First most of the time when people disagree about something in religion they take either extreme side. They never consider that the truth may be a little of both. Good example Ive seen many people debate wether everything is predestined or not. Most people believe either everythihng is predestined or nothing is at all. But the bible speaks of predestination. It speaks of it alot, so the people that say it has never happened are dead wrong. but the people that believe that everything is predestined and all followers of Christ are choosen people. Are wrong as well its a combination of both.

    One thing that I have never seen anyone argue is that the bible prooves some of sciences theorys. One being that the dinosours where destroyed by a meteor. In revelations it gives a pretty good description of God destroying the earth with meteors again. Now at the time revelations was written, these people had no idea that is how the dinosours where killed. And how the earth was reformed.

    Now max2extreme thats an intresting theory about reptiles growing larger back in those days. The life spans of the people where drastically increased back in those days. ANd one theory that I have read about was that there was no rain back before the flood. And that all the water was acting like a barrier that surrounded the earth and protected everyone from the sun which would allow for people to live longer. Thats an intresting concept but I havnt seen any educated person weigh in on that one. ANd if true that would mean the only thing a person would need to do to live longer would be to stay indoors for the duration of their lives. I dont support this theory because I have no idea what role the sun has on the aging process. Besides skin aging.

    But the behemoth and leviathan are mentioned in a way that leads you to believe that Job is surrounded by these animals. What are these creatures?? Ive heard some explain leviathan as a crocodile. Would these people at this time consider a Croc as a monster of some sort I have no Idea. But for me it makes no sence to ague the point that dinosours walked with man. And to nonbelievers it only makes the christians look ignorant. It would be nice if there was more written about these creatures. I would think how ever that if dinosours walked with man there would be more about it in the bible. Im sure that scenerio would be a menace of some sort.


    There is a verse I'll try to find... it says something along the lines... "The great behemoth can stand in the middle of the Jordan River and still see above it" Not in those exact words, but something along those lines. I'll try and find it.

  3. #3
    biglouie250's Avatar
    biglouie250 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,401
    Quote Originally Posted by EastCoaster
    There is a verse I'll try to find... it says something along the lines... "The great behemoth can stand in the middle of the Jordan River and still see above it" Not in those exact words, but something along those lines. I'll try and find it.
    dinosaurs predate man by millions of years. how could this be a tale of a dinosaur.

  4. #4
    EastCoaster's Avatar
    EastCoaster is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,798
    Quote Originally Posted by biglouie250
    dinosaurs predate man by millions of years. how could this be a tale of a dinosaur.

    I didnt say that I believe it, I said there is a verse in the bible that matches what he was talking about.

  5. #5
    Anhydro78's Avatar
    Anhydro78 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,439
    Is this the verse you are talking about job 40:23 If a river rages, he is not alarmed He is confident, though the jordan rushes to his mouth. 24 Can anyone capture him when he is on watch, With barbs can anyone peirce his nose?

    See I have actually had educated people try to convence me that dinosours walked with man and claiming that carbon dating is inaccurate. But it is carbon dating that they like to use as well when it comes to prooving the authenticity of religous texts.

    There has to be a good explaination for this. Its just beyond my grasp.

  6. #6
    geoneo's Avatar
    geoneo is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    195
    does it also say that the earth is the center of the universe or is that just a myth

  7. #7
    MMC78's Avatar
    MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,310
    Quote Originally Posted by Anhydro78
    Is this the verse you are talking about job 40:23 If a river rages, he is not alarmed He is confident, though the jordan rushes to his mouth. 24 Can anyone capture him when he is on watch, With barbs can anyone peirce his nose?

    See I have actually had educated people try to convence me that dinosours walked with man and claiming that carbon dating is inaccurate. But it is carbon dating that they like to use as well when it comes to prooving the authenticity of religous texts.

    There has to be a good explaination for this. Its just beyond my grasp.

    I think you're grasping at straws here. Dinosaurs and man never co-existed. The fossil record proves this, regardless of carbon dating. If you want multiple good interpretations of Job or anything else in the Tanakh, seek a Jewish scholar.

  8. #8
    Anhydro78's Avatar
    Anhydro78 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,439
    Im intrested in this because this is a subject that makes christianity seem foolish. I would like to hear what other people think about these verses.

  9. #9
    MMC78's Avatar
    MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,310
    Quote Originally Posted by Anhydro78
    Im intrested in this because this is a subject that makes christianity seem foolish. I would like to hear what other people think about these verses.
    I'm not sure what verses you're referring to. I don't see anything in the bible that suggests men lived with dinosaurs.

  10. #10
    KAEW44's Avatar
    KAEW44 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,673
    what we need to demand from religeon is a 'prequel' to tell us what the dinosaurs were doing on earth before humans and whats their story....if men and dinosaurs co-exsisted then its easy to conclude how the dinosaurs were extinct......George bushes oldest caveman ancestor probably declared war on them beause their large feaces were weapons of ass destruction and they finished them all off.

  11. #11
    Anhydro78's Avatar
    Anhydro78 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,439
    Me neither MMC78.. Im just trying to make the case that it doesnt pertain to Dinosaurs.

    Whats the beast it talks about in Job???? And what is leviathan???

  12. #12
    palme's Avatar
    palme is offline Rosie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,649
    Quote Originally Posted by Anhydro78
    Me neither MMC78.. Im just trying to make the case that it doesnt pertain to Dinosaurs.

    Whats the beast it talks about in Job???? And what is leviathan???
    Leviathan is an old Fenician word for a mythical crocodile, quoted in some verses of the biblical Book of Job.

    Ive never read the bible but they can not have talked about dinosaurs since they where gone long before man ever walked the earth.

  13. #13
    Tock's Avatar
    Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Fort Worth
    Posts
    7,103
    Here's a curious article on the topic . . . notice how they rely on phrases like "could have" and "might have" in their reasoning, then cite bible verses as "evidence," then dis scientific info outright.

    --Tock
    ========================================


    http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,595061347,00.html

    By Lynn Arave
    Deseret Morning News

    Dinosaurs in Noah's Ark? In the Garden of Eden?

    It's right there in the Bible, says a group in Salt Lake City today to plead its case.
    Science has it all wrong, according to the Institute for Creation Research. Dinosaurs lived thousands of years ago, not millions, they or their ancestors walked the Earth with Adam and Eve, and they hitched a ride with Noah, says the Christ-focused creation ministry.
    The group will give its presentation "Dinosaurs in the Bible" tonight at 6:30 at Calvary Chapel of Salt Lake, 460 W. Century Drive (4350 South). Admission is free, and the public is invited.
    The event was designed to encourage people to get their Bibles out and find out for themselves about the Creation and dinosaurs, said Brett Davis, assistant pastor at Calvary Chapel of Salt Lake.
    "All through school we are inundated with culture and society's idea about the Creation," Davis said. "They want to destroy the idea of God. . . . Science tries to take it outside the Bible."
    Calvary Chapels have several connections to the Institute for Creation Research. The group broadcasts programs on the Calvary Satellite Network and has already made presentations to Calvary Chapels outside Utah.
    "The Bible is clear," the ICR Web site states. "The ancestors of every animal that ever lived were created during Creation Week. Each animal type was created 'after this kind,' and all subsequent individual animals, including dinosaurs, descended from these created categories."
    Founded in 1970 and located in Santee, Calif., the group is "devoted to research, publication and teaching in those fields of science particularly relevant to the study of origins." Originally, the ICR was formed as the research division of Christian Heritage College, but it became a separate group in 1981.
    ICR isn't the only group or persons interested in dinosaurs in the Bible. A Google search on the Internet found more than 107,000 different references to the subject.
    The only place dinosaurs could have survived the Flood was on Noah's Ark, says ICR President John D. Morris on the group's Web site. Dinosaurs could have fit in the ark if they were younger and smaller, he says.
    But they might not have survived in a post-Flood world with different environmental conditions. Morris believes the dinosaurs just didn't make it to our day, noting that the process of the extinction of some animals still continues.
    No one has all the answers, but Morris says the Bible is much better than science. He adds there's a lot of unanswered questions about dinosaurs, and science can't explain dragon legends and cave drawings.
    ICR also questions the accuracy of radioactive mineral aging determinations and says human and dinosaur footprints have been found in the same formations at times.
    Quoting the Bible, it also says that death had not entered the world until after Adam's sin (Romans 5:12) and yet the fossil record shows sudden death on a worldwide scale. ICR maintains that the fossil record does not contain a long and graduated evolution of life but rather a rapid extinction of life as a result of God's judgment when "the world that then was, being overflowed with water perished" (2 Peter 3:6).
    There is no official statement on dinosaurs by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the predominant Utah religion. But Joseph Smith, the church's first prophet, once said the world and Earth are not synonymous. He said: "This Earth was organized or formed out of other planets which were broken up and remodeled and made into one on which we live. The elements are eternal" (from Discourses of the Prophet Joseph Smith).
    Also, the Book of Mormon mentions "cureloms and cumons," creatures unknown to modern times, that were well-known to the Jaredite race (Ether 9:19) and considered valuable to man, like the elephant.
    For more information on the Institute for Creation Research, go online to www.icr.org or call 1-649-448-0900. A separate Web site, www.clarifyingchristianity.com also promotes dinosaurs as being in the Bible.
    For more information on Calvary Chapel of Salt Lake, call 264-9999 or go online to www.calvaryslc.org. Davis said tonight's event will last 90 minutes to two hours and includes a video presentation. It is designed for all age groups, and seating for about 600 people will be available.

  14. #14
    max2extreme's Avatar
    max2extreme is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,982
    Tock,
    Written by mormons, I usually disregard anything from them because they get stuff from their other books and have beliefs I dont agree with. I read a little of your paste in my spare time but didnt finish it. I think Id agree with you on this article though.

    Thing is, if you are a christian, then you believe that everything was created in a week. God brought all of the animals to Adam to be named. Man has always been on earth from the beginning of time. Dinosaurs have roamed the earth. Meaning (based on my christian beliefs) that man and dinosaurs did roam the earth at the same time. Now you bring the scientific studies, carbon dating or whatever else is out there and people say its impossible. I cant scientifically prove my opinion. Dinosaurs roamed the earth far earlier than the oldest human bones found, ill agree with that..it doesnt prove your point to me, it just proves their may not be human bones that old anymore, something happened to them. Or we havent found the oldest human remains. I dont need science to prove this to me because its in the bible. Same concept as most religions prophets or others doing extraordinary things. It says in the bible jesus healed the sick with his touch. or even without touch, just by saying so. Can ANYONE do this today? no. do I disbelieve it because i cant scientifically prove it? no. Im not sure, in the quran did muhammad or anyone else perform any kind of healing or what not? Whatever they did, can it be scientifically proven today? no. but you still believe it right?

    thats my thought on the matter.

    Now as in the paste Tock wrote, there are creatures mentioned in the bible that are dinosaur-like. of course the word dinosaur is not going to be in the bible, but descriptions fit. It could be. It could not be.

    -max

  15. #15
    MMC78's Avatar
    MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,310
    Quote Originally Posted by max2extreme
    Thing is, if you are a christian, then you believe that everything was created in a week. God brought all of the animals to Adam to be named. Man has always been on earth from the beginning of time.
    Yeah, I find this kind of rediculous. I don't know why Christians continue to beleive this.

    For the past 1000 years or more, *Orthodox* Jews have beleived the creation story to be symbolic in nature. Each day lasting millenia or longer. In fact many such stories are seen as metaphors.

  16. #16
    biglouie250's Avatar
    biglouie250 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,401
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC78
    Yeah, I find this kind of rediculous. I don't know why Christians continue to beleive this.

    For the past 1000 years or more, *Orthodox* Jews have beleived the creation story to be symbolic in nature. Each day lasting millenia or longer. In fact many such stories are seen as metaphors.

    thats because they dont like using reason and logic......

  17. #17
    max2extreme's Avatar
    max2extreme is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,982
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC78
    Yeah, I find this kind of rediculous. I don't know why Christians continue to beleive this.

    For the past 1000 years or more, *Orthodox* Jews have beleived the creation story to be symbolic in nature. Each day lasting millenia or longer. In fact many such stories are seen as metaphors.

    Orthodox Jews DONT believe God made everything in 6 days and rested on the 7th??

    Max

  18. #18
    MMC78's Avatar
    MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,310
    Quote Originally Posted by max2extreme
    Orthodox Jews DONT believe God made everything in 6 days and rested on the 7th??

    Max
    Duh.

    The interpretation of days isn't taken literally. Read the Talmud.

  19. #19
    max2extreme's Avatar
    max2extreme is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,982
    Quote Originally Posted by biglouie250
    thats because they dont like using reason and logic......
    Did you just want to take part in this thread to have your name on it? or do you have anything logical to say?

    max

  20. #20
    max2extreme's Avatar
    max2extreme is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,982
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC78
    Duh.

    The interpretation of days isn't taken literally. Read the Talmud.

    I dont know what the Talmud is. Do Jews go to church on sunday?

    max

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,896
    Quote Originally Posted by max2extreme
    I dont know what the Talmud is. Do Jews go to church on sunday?

    max
    No they go to synagogue on saturday... but what does that have to do with anything?

    Though jews don't believe in the new testament or the jesus story (to them he was simply another jew, not the so called saviour), they DO share the belief in the old testament with christians though.

    Unless I am wrong, the story of genesis was in the old testament no?

    Red

  22. #22
    max2extreme's Avatar
    max2extreme is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,982
    My point is that they go to church on saturday cuz its the 7th day. Because God said the 7th day was a holy day and you should rest. But if they believe the story of creation only symbolic, why go to synagogue on the literal 7th day? Seems contradictory....no?

    and yes, the story of genesis is in the old testament.

    max

  23. #23
    Anhydro78's Avatar
    Anhydro78 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,439
    They are not following their religion to the letter of the Law. If so they would be required to kill cattle on a regular basis. From what I understand they still do but not at the frequency required. The Mosaic Law would be fun to try to follow.

    There is alot of things that are symbolic with the number 3 & 7 in the bible.

  24. #24
    MMC78's Avatar
    MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,310
    Here's how Jews view the old testament in the context of the bigger picture.
    The OT is kind of like the Constitution for the United States of America. It has certain undeniable laws, regulations, etc. But using the constitution to explain everyday American life is pointless.

    The Talmud is the codification of oral law and tradition given to Moses on Sanai. It was first written down around the time of Jesus.

  25. #25
    MMC78's Avatar
    MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,310
    Quote Originally Posted by max2extreme
    My point is that they go to church on saturday cuz its the 7th day. Because God said the 7th day was a holy day and you should rest. But if they believe the story of creation only symbolic, why go to synagogue on the literal 7th day? Seems contradictory....no?
    Because he says so. It makes no difference whether the creation storie(s) were literal or symbolic. And Orthadox Jewish celebration of the Sabbath has very little to do with going to "church".

  26. #26
    MMC78's Avatar
    MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,310
    Quote Originally Posted by Anhydro78
    They are not following their religion to the letter of the Law. If so they would be required to kill cattle on a regular basis. From what I understand they still do but not at the frequency required. The Mosaic Law would be fun to try to follow.
    There's no more *ritual* slaughter of animals since the destruction of the temple in 70 C.E. A lot of people do follow Mosaic law as closely as possible.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •