Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts

Thread: CBS blew it

UrbanLegend is offline Senior Member

CBS blew it

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6055248/?gt1=5100

CBS: Bush documents can't be verified
    'We shouldn't have used them,' executive statesMSNBC staff and news service reports

NEW YORK - CBS on Monday said it cannot vouch for the authenticity of documents used to support a "60 Minutes" story about President Bush's Vietnam-era National Guard service after several experts denounced them as fakes.

The network said that while it was "deliberately misled," it was wrong to go on the air with a story that it could not substantiate.

"Based on what we know now, CBS News can't prove the documents are authentic," CBS President Andrew Heyward said in a statement. "We shouldn't have used them. That was a mistake, which we deeply regret. Nothing is more important to us than our credibility and keeping faith with the millions of people who count on us for fair, accurate, reliable and independent reporting. We will continue to work tirelessly to be worthy of that trust."

'Full confidence' initially
    The statement began with this explanation of events:

"'60 Minutes Wednesday' had full confidence in the original report or it would not have aired. However, in the wake of serious and disturbing questions that came up after the broadcast, CBS News has done extensive additional reporting in an effort to confirm the documents' authenticity. That included an interview featured on last week's edition of '60 Minutes Wednesday' with Marian Carr Knox, secretary to the late Lt. Col. Jerry Killian, the officer named as the author of the documents; the interview with Bill Burkett to be seen tonight; and a further review of the forensic evidence on both sides of the debate."

CBS said Burkett, a retired National Guard lieutenant colonel, had provided the documents. In a press release accompanying Heyward's statement, CBS said that Burkett "also admits that he deliberately misled the CBS News producer working on the report, giving her a false account of the documents' origins to protect a promise of confidentiality to the actual source."

The documents were said to be written by Killian, indicating he was being pressured to “sugarcoat” the performance ratings of a young Bush, then the son of a Texas congressman, and that Bush failed to follow orders to take a physical. Killian died in 1984.

Rather issues own statement
    CBS also said it was commissioning an independent review of the incident, and will announce the names of the people conducting the review shortly.

The announcement was a major blow to the credibility of CBS News and its chief anchor, Dan Rather, who reported the story.

In his own statement Monday, Rather said:

"I no longer have the confidence in these documents that would allow us to continue vouching for them journalistically. I find we have been misled on the key question of how our source for the documents came into possession of these papers. That, combined with some of the questions that have been raised in public and in the press, leads me to a point where — if I knew then what I know now — I would not have gone ahead with the story as it was aired, and I certainly would not have used the documents in question.

"But we did use the documents. We made a mistake in judgment, and for that I am sorry. It was an error that was made, however, in good faith and in the spirit of trying to carry on a CBS News tradition of investigative reporting without fear or favoritism."

Almost immediately after the Sept. 8 story aired, document experts questioned memos purportedly written by Bush’s late squadron leader, saying they appeared to have been created on a computer and not a typewriter that was in use during the 1970s.

CBS strongly defended its story, and it wasn’t until a week later — after the military leader’s former secretary said she believed the memos were fake — did the news division admit they were questionable.

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    So much for integrity in journalism. Rather is a kook anyway.

Cycleon is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    now does anyone have a doubt that most of the mainline media is a shill for the DNC? I didnt think so

sin
    sin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CYCLEON
    now does anyone have a doubt that most of the mainline media is a shill for the DNC? I didnt think so
    they came out and admitted that they messed up. how does that make them a shill?

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    I never had a doubt that ANY media is a shill for some political party. there is no media organization which speaks soley the unbiased truth. This doesnt surprise me one bit

Badgerman is offline Banned
    Some facts regarding favoritism and the fact GW violated a direct order did come out.......the documents were factually correct......even if they were recreated......
    more correct than GW and his WMDs in IRAQ......

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerman
    Some facts regarding favoritism and the fact GW violated a direct order did come out.......the documents were factually correct......even if they were recreated......
    more correct than GW and his WMDs in IRAQ......

You are telling me GW was treated favorably while in the ANG? No way! We can all agree on this.

It's a fact that GW disobeyed lawfull orders? Other than these memo-gate papers, how can you make that claim?

Quote Originally Posted by sin
    they came out and admitted that they messed up. how does that make them a shill?

Because they knew the documents didn't have any factual basis before they used them as evidence. And they would not have admited anything unless they were called out on it, which they were. This would have looked worse if someone else had come out and said "CBS can't back this up" than if CBS did it.....then its an apology. They could have been hammered on this big time. CBS only apologized to appear honest.

They lied and they got caught.

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend
    They lied and they got caught.

I agree.

sin
    Because they knew they didn't have any factual basis before they used them as evidence. And they would not have admited anything unless they were called out on it, which they were. This would have looked worse if someone else had come out and said "CBS can't back this up" than if CBS did it.....then its an apology. They could have been hammered on this big time. CBS only apologized to appear honest.
    thats an interesting speculation, and it would make sense. however, its still speculation. i dont think cbs would have run a story that was a lie just to push some agenda. they have too much at stake.

thats an interesting speculation, and it would make sense. however, its still speculation. i dont think cbs would have run a story that was a lie just to push some agenda. they have too much at stake.

Yeah, ratings. They want people to tune in to see a controversial story about Bush. You are speculating too fyi........They most likely didn't think anyone would challenge their credibility to this extent. Again, speculation, but thats all either of us can do with where you are taking this..........

Surly you have a hard time believing that this was just a "mistake." Because its not like the news would research anything before putting it on the air, now would they........yet thats the only explanation for what has happened here, assuming CBS wasn't intentionally lying on some level......Because when actual research was done, it turned out to be false, so either CBS is incredibly stupid, or they lied.
    Last edited by UrbanLegend; 09-20-2004 at 03:18 PM.

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    The corporate mainstream media is a crock. Of course some of you will denounce this CBS deal as you're watching Fox News.

Quote Originally Posted by saboudian
    The corporate mainstream media is a crock. Of course some of you will denounce this CBS deal as you're watching Fox News.

Television media is one thing, and Fox certainly puts its slant on things. The news that you get on your doorstep in the morning is really where there is a leftist spin. Most, if not all, of the spin is on socialy liberal issues, which I agree with, so I don't get too bent out of shape.

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by inheritmylife
    Television media is one thing, and Fox certainly puts its slant on things. The news that you get on your doorstep in the morning is really where there is a leftist spin. Most, if not all, of the spin is on socialy liberal issues, which I agree with, so I don't get too bent out of shape.
    The local newspaper generally in most areas is poor in general. And if you ever actually try and watch the local news, that is by far the biggest dissappointment.

MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    "Everything on that screen is a **** lie."

Something my father told me at a young age that I've never forgot.

sin
    Yeah, ratings. BUT IF CBS WAS CAUGHT IN A FLAGRANT LIE WOULDNT IT DESTROY THEIR RATINGS IN THE LONG RUN? They want people to tune in to see a controversial story about Bush. You are speculating too fyi........YEAH, BUT IM TRYING TO BE REASONABLE ABOUT IT AND YOUR PUSHING CONSIPIRACY THEORY They most likely didn't think anyone would challenge their credibility to this extent DO YOU REALLY BELIEVE THIS? EVERYBODY IN THIS COUNTRY QUESTIONS EVERYTHING. Again, speculation, but thats all either of us can do with where you are taking this..........

Surly you have a hard time believing that this was just a "mistake." Because its not like the news would research anything before putting it on the air, now would they........ yet thats the only explanation for what has happened here REALLY?, assuming CBS wasn't intentionally lying on some level......Because when actual research was done, it turned out to be false, so either CBS is incredibly stupid, or they lied. IT DOES SEEM TO BE THE CASE THAT THEY ARE IN FACT STUPID. THE INTERVIEW WITH THE "SOURCE" IS SUPPOSED TO BE ON THIS EVENING

I understand everything you are saying, and I never disputed it. I was just responding to what you said. CBS stood firmly behind what they were saying, Dan Rather said that the network stood by its original report. A retired Guard major general -- who Rather said in an interview would corroborate the CBS account -- instead told the Los Angeles Times that he believed the memos from Lt. Col. Jerry B. Killian were not real. A CBS news executive said that Maj. Gen. Bobby W. Hodges, who was Killian's immediate supervisor, had changed his story. And a network producer said that at least two other experts had authenticated all four memos. So where are all these "experts" now? And so the other people just decided to change there stories at once, did they?....and yet CBS still kept standing by their reporting.......So its not like what I am saying such "conspiracy."

However, I am at this point willing to believe that you likely are correct, that CBS was just stupid. At the same time, I also think there is a very good chance that they were just lying and got caught. Odds are we will never know for sure......
    Last edited by UrbanLegend; 09-20-2004 at 08:12 PM.

Thread Information