Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
    UrbanLegend is offline Senior Member

Transcript: Bush's interview with O'Reilly

I just saw part of the segment of the interview with Bush. I thought they would be playing the whole thing three nights this week (Mon Wed Fri) but apparently they played the whole thing on Monday (which I missed), and just reiterated a few key points today. But it was still worth seeing IMO. I thought Bush came across as having command of the issues, a guy who knows what he believes.

Part I http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,133712,00.html

Part II http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,133854,00.html

Part III http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,133993,00.html

I'll just post the whole thing in my next post or two......as the links might get taken down at some point, etc. All the material is here, the only edits that were made were done so for clairity, as all the 'uhs' and 'wells' just don't make a transcript easy to read......

And yes, I just found out its a very LONG transcript. So if you quote something, only quote the SECTION of it, do not quote the entire post.....I've used up too much thread space already IMO......

Bush’s Interview with Bill O’Reilly

BILL O'REILLY, HOST: OK. First of all, I want to thank you for talking with me, since so few people will.

(LAUGHTER)

GEORGE W. BUSH, PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES : Well, it's a big gamble on my part.

O'REILLY: No, it isn't, not really though. You, we talked four and a half years ago...

BUSH: I'm teasing.

O'REILLY: Yes, when you...

BUSH: I enjoy how you interview people, and I appreciate you giving me the chance to come on and have, what we say in Texas, "Just a visit."
    O'REILLY: Yes. We're going to have a visit here. I've got 15 questions for you. If they're dumb, tell me they're dumb, because the audience will like that.

(LAUGHTER)

If they're dumb questions say, "Look, O'Reilly, that's just dumb."

The first one is, according to a poll taken by the Coalition Provisional Authority (search) last spring, only five percent of the Iraqi people see the United States as liberators. Are you surprised they don't appreciate the American sacrifice more?

BUSH: I think they're beginning to appreciate the sacrifice, because the country is getting better. It's tougher than heck right now, because Zarqawi (search) and some of these former Baathists (search) are killing innocent Iraqis and killing our soldiers in order to try to get us to leave.

I also saw a poll where it said, by far, the vast majority of the Iraqis believe the world is getting better. And that's positive.

In other words, people are beginning to see progress. Electricity is better, schools are opening, hospitals are running. I think when it's all said and done, the Iraqis are going to look back and say: "Thank God for America."

O'REILLY: How long is it going to take before that happens, do you think?

BUSH : You know, as soon as possible. Now, I think the elections are going to have, you know, a very positive effect, and they take place in January. Look, the people want to vote.

O'REILLY: But can they vote when people are being blown up...

BUSH : Yes.

O'REILLY: ... and these guys are threatening them?

BUSH: That's when you're supposed to vote. You've got to stand tough with these terrorists. You cannot allow the terrorists to dictate whether or not a society can be free or not.

Do you remember what happened in Afghanistan (search) when the Taliban (search) pulled the four women off the bus and killed them because they had voter registration cards? I think there had been about 3 million Afghan citizens who had registered at this point in time. A lot of people said: Well, the elections look like they've got to be over in Afghanistan, because the Taliban is, too violent to allow the elections to go forward. Today 10 million citizens in that country have registered to vote, forty percent of whom are women, which is a powerful statistic.

O'REILLY: The South Vietnamese didn't fight for their freedom, which is why they don't have it today.

BUSH: Yes.

O'REILLY: Do you think the Iraqis are going to fight for their freedom?

BUSH: Absolutely.

O'REILLY: You do.

BUSH: No question in my mind, they will, you bet. I was with Prime Minister Allawi (search) yesterday. He is a tough guy. He is a strong leader. He believes the future of Iraq is the future of freedom, and he tells me that, you know that these places where they go bomb the recruits, the people trying to sign up to serve in the army or the police, the next day, more recruits come.

O'REILLY: OK.

BUSH: Because people want to defend their country. I believe that. You know why I believe that, and this is really important, it's because I believe everybody yearns to be free. I believe Muslims yearn to be free. And this is tough. Look, no question it's tough times. But if we send mixed signals, if we waver, the times will be tougher. That's what the terrorists are watching, they're watching us like hawks.

O'REILLY: What happened to Saddam's chemical arsenal? Do you know?

BUSH: No. I don't. We thought we'd have stockpiles. We do know he had the capability of making weapons. And that capability could have been passed on to terrorists, and that was a risk, after 9/11, we could not afford to take.

O'REILLY: No, I understand that. But you, to this day, don't know what happened to his chemical weapons. He didn't tell us...

BUSH: No. Not yet.

O'REILLY: He hasn't given us much, has he?

BUSH: No, well he doesn't have anything to, to gain by giving us much. I mean, he's going to go on trial, and the Iraqis will lay out a case. And, I mean, why would he tell the truth?

O'REILLY: "The Wall Street Journal" says — and that's a conservative paper — that the Defense Department and the Pentagon wasn't aggressive enough in getting al-Sadr (search) and then crushing Fallujah. (search)

O'REILLY: Is the "Journal" wrong?

BUSH: I think that the government of Iraq, Allawi, did a good job in Najaf (search) with Sadr. In other words, they now control the shrines, and they did so in a way that he, Allawi, thought would be best for the political process. In other words, there's a dual track here. There's a political process going forward and a security operation going forward. And the two must be parallel. And Allawi made the decision that the best operation in Najaf would be the way we handled it. And if they're saying that maybe last fall we should have moved on Sadr, it's a judgment call that history will have to look back on.

O'REILLY: Fallujah: Should we have crushed it when we could have?

BUSH: Well, there again, there was a dual track with a political process going forward. A lot of people on the ground there thought that if we'd have gone into Fallujah at the time, the interim government would not have been established. And if the government would not have been established, we wouldn't have been able to transfer sovereignty.

I happen to think the transfer of sovereignty is a key moment in the history of a free Iraq. The reason I believe that is that the Iraq people are going to follow Iraqi leadership, not U.S. leadership. And Prime Minister Allawi's been there for about two and a half months, nearly three months. He's getting his feet on the ground. He's establishing a government, they're training police, they're training army, they're beginning to move out in, in places like Samarra (search) and Najaf in order to make the place a more peaceful country.

(COMMERCIAL)

O'REILLY: The "mission accomplished" statement in May 2003, if you had to do it all over again, would you not have done it?

BUSH: Well, first of all, the statement said: Thank you for serving in Afghanistan and Iraq. Thank you for being on one of the largest, longest cruises in our nation's history. Thank you for serving our country. And we've still got tough work in Iraq.

Now, I'm going to go and thank our troops every chance I get.

O'REILLY: But the press spinned it, you know how they spinned it.

BUSH: Well, they spin everything.

O'REILLY: Me, too.

BUSH: Well, maybe you deserve it more than me, but nevertheless...

O'REILLY: You've taken some heat for that.

BUSH: I take heat for a lot of things...

O'REILLY: Would you do it again?

BUSH: You mean have the sign up there?

O'REILLY: No, no, but go in there with the flight jacket,

O'REILLY: You would.

BUSH: Of course. I'm saying to the troops, on this carrier and elsewhere: Thanks for serving America. Absolutely.

BUSH: nd by the way, those sailors and airmen loved seeing the commander in chief. These kids had been on a very long cruise. They'd been on a cruise in two theaters of war now, Afghanistan and Iraq. I flew out there, and said thanks, thanks on behalf of a grateful nation. You bet I'd do it again.

O'REILLY: This is really a tough one.

BUSH: OK.

O'REILLY: Iran said yesterday: Hey, we're going to develop this nuclear stuff, we don't care what you think. You ready to use military force against Iran if they continue to defy the world on nuclear?

BUSH: My hope is that we can solve this diplomatically.

O'REILLY: But if you can't?

BUSH: Well, let me try to solve it diplomatically, first. All options are on the table, of course, in any situation. But diplomacy is the first option.

O'REILLY: Would you allow Iran to develop a nuclear weapon?

BUSH: We are working our hearts out so that they don't develop a nuclear weapon, and the best way to do so is to continue to keep international pressure on them.

O'REILLY: Is it conceivable that you would allow them to develop a nuclear weapon?

BUSH: No, we've made it clear, our position is that they won't have a nuclear weapon.

O'REILLY: Period.

O'REILLY: A "Time" magazine investigation says, 3 million illegal aliens crossed the Mexican border, and we talked about this four and a half years...

BUSH: We have. I know it's a issue that you're concerned about.

O'REILLY: Every year, 3.5 million illegals come over. Why can't the federal government control that?

BUSH: Well, as you know, as the governor of Texas, I was very aware of this issue. There is a long border, that makes it hard to control. We have beefed up places along the border to try to stop the process of...

O'REILLY: With all due respect, though, it's not working, with 3 million...

BUSH: It's working a little better. They're doing a pretty good job down in Arizona, which is the main border crossing. But I was trying to get my words here for a minute. I was trying to give you some facts. I think there's a thousand more border patrol agents along the border, we're modernizing border techniques, we're using better surveillance methods to stop crossing at the border. Now, look, people are coming up because they want to work. You know, family values don't stop at the border.

O'REILLY: Absolutely,

BUSH: If you can make 50 cents in the interior of Mexico, and five bucks in the interior of the United States, you're coming for the five bucks, and they're poor.

O'REILLY: Ninety percent of them are, but 10 percent are bad guys.

BUSH: Well, look...

O'REILLY: A lot of bad guys coming here.

BUSH: I don't know how you got the 10 percent number, maybe...

O'REILLY: The border patrol you know, incarceration, violent crime, that...

BUSH: No question about it. It is a serious issue. I happen to believe the best way to enhance the border is to have temporary worker cards available for people. And I think it's best for the employers who are employing these people. I think it's best for the employees that are trying to find work. I think the long-term solution for this issue on our border is for Mexico to grow a middle class. That's why I believe in NAFTA (search)...

O'REILLY: We'll be in the grave.

BUSH: I don't think so. It's happening. Look, I wish I could have taken you down there and shown you the northern tier of states in Mexico ten years ago compared to today. I mean, it's happening.

Free trade helps lift lives, free trade develops commerce, free trade gives people a chance to realize their dreams. And so long as the wage differential is as big as it is, and so long as moms and dads feel the necessity to feed their children, they're going to come and try to make a living.

O'REILLY: So you're not going to militarize the border to stop...

BUSH: No, we're going to use the border patrol, beef it up, give it better technologies and better equipment to do its job.

O'REILLY: OK. You know a lot of people are not going to like that answer, you know that.

BUSH: Well it's a truthful answer.

BUSH: I mean, as opposed as to what, putting a military on the border,

O'REILLY: Yes, [use the] military to back up the border patrol, to just stop the, rampant...

BUSH: No, I think the best way to do it is to give the border patrol the assets it needs to do its job.

BILL O'REILLY: HOST: How will the federal government ever pay off the federal deficit, in your opinion?

PRESIDENT GEORGE W. BUSH: By being fiscally wise and growing our economy.

O’REILLY: Do you think it can be paid off in our lifetime, though?

BUSH:: The deficit, yeah. You mean, for,— have the revenues exceed the expenses in the budget?

O’REILLY: See, we have a big deficit here…

BUSH: You're talking about the debt or the deficit?

O’REILLY: The deficit.

BUSH:: Yeah.

O’REILLY: Well people are saying that because we have to fight this war on terror, because of the tax cuts, oh and you know how the propaganda, it’s all over the place…

BUSH: No, I think we can — of course I think we can balance the budget — as a matter of fact, I put out a hand, a budget that says we’ll cut it in half in five years, now, that's going to mean that the Congress has got to be fiscally wise, with our money.

O’REILLY: Has that ever happened?

BUSH: Yeah, it’s happening. Seriously. One other, you know, I get accused for not having vetoed any budgets. One reason why is because I’ve worked with Speaker Hastert (search) and Leader Frist (search), and formerly worked with Leader Lott (search), to develop a budget that trunked discretionary spending, that was reasonable about the growth in discretionary spending. It’s now, — non-defense, non-homeland, discretionary spending — is less than one percent in our budget. And that was growing at one, less that one percent, when I became President, it was growing at fifteen percent. So we’ve made some progress. The reason I believe tax cuts were necessary is because we were in a recession and we needed to grow this economy.

O’REILLY: But I’m rich and I’m getting a tax cut from you. Tax cuts for the rich, what do you think when you hear that?

BUSH:: I think that — if you're going to have tax cuts, everybody who pays taxes ought to get relief. I think…

O’REILLY: Even the rich bad guys like me?

BUSH:: I think that — I think thirty-five percent is enough for anybody to pay in federal taxes. I also know that when you're talking about tax, taxing the rich, really what you're talking about is taxing many small business owners. Ninety percent of the small business owners are sub-chapter S corporations, or limited partnerships. They pay tax at the individual income tax rate, and so when you hear the politicians saying tax the rich, you're talking about taxing job creators as well.

O’REILLY: And entrepreneurs, like me.

BUSH: Entrepreneurs like you. I think raising taxes would be a mistake, and my opponent’s going to raise taxes.

O’REILLY: Do you think the federal government has a moral obligation to pay Americans’ health bills?

BUSH: A moral obligation to pay, now, I think the federal government has an obligation to help those who cannot help themselves.

CROSSTALK

O’REILLY: Even if they're alcoholics or drug addicts…

BUSH: That's why, well that's why I’ve put community centers, and that's why I am for — providing places where people can get preventative care, as well as primary care — without going to emergency rooms and hospitals. That again is a wise use of taxpayers’ money. Secondly, I believe that the federal government must help seniors. It’s an obligation we took on when Lyndon Johnson was the President. And the Medicare proposal that I, — the Medicare bill I signed — is one that modernizes Medicare, gives seniors more choices. It says there’ll be a prescription drug benefit for seniors. It provides preventative care for seniors so we can diagnose early. It is a good piece of legislation that honors an obligation to our seniors. I think we also ought to help the people who are uninsured find insurance by doing practical things such as allowing small businesses to pool risk across jurisdictional boundaries, these are called association health plans, so they can buy insurance at the same discount big companies can.

O’REILLY: But aren’t we becoming an entitlement society here with the government helping, and I understand, I mean, you’ve got to be a compassionate person, whether you're a Democrat or a Republican. But it, the government gets bigger and bigger and bigger, now we’re in prescription drugs, we’re in…

BUSH:: Well, let me stop you on the prescription drugs just for a second. Prescription drugs is a part of medicine. And we provide it, we said to the seniors, we’ll provide you medicine. We would put, we’d put the money up to, for heart surgery, we wouldn't put the money up for the prescription drug coverage necessary to prevent the heart surgery from happening in the first place. So that's a wise use of modernizing Medicare. I think it’s going to save us money in the long term. I know it’s going to provide our seniors better coverage and care, and seniors are going to have a choice in this plan. In other words, we’ve introduced market reform into Medicare for the first time, and that's why it was opposed by my opponent, and many people who believe we ought to nationalize healthcare. This is, you — what you're talking about is an issue in this campaign, and that is, do we increase the reach of the federal government to the lives of our citizens?

O’REILLY: Right.

BUSH:: My answer is no. We shouldn’t. On healthcare, for example. I believe that we ought to have health savings accounts and expand them and provide incentives to small businesses, to provide health savings accounts for their uh employees. I believe low-income working Americans ought to be given a tax credit to apply to a health savings account, all aimed at making sure that the decisions between uh, uh between the doctor and patient are central to the healthcare decision-making process.

O’REILLY: Here, I asked your wife this question. Why is the country so divided? All the polls show divided on Iraq. Divided on the presidential race. Why? You ran on a uniter, not divider, ticket.

BUSH:: Right. Well, it was pretty divided in the 2000 elections, [LAUGHTER] I recall.

O’REILLY: Yeah.

BUSH:: Well it’s just — it’s just one, a period of history, you know, and I’m doing my best to bring people together. We’ve been united at times during my presidency. We were united after [CROSSTALK] September the 11th, we were united going into Afghanistan.

O’REILLY: But why did it go, why did it go out, is there one thing that's polarized the nation?

BUSH:: I, well, you know, we’ll see how polarized it is on Election Day, for starters. But, if I, — the Iraq war was a, — is a polarizing event, because a lot of people didn't see the wisdom of going into Iraq.

O’REILLY: The big mac world picture. The big picture about fighting terrorism through Iraq.

BUSH: Well I think, uh, yeah, I mean, there was, I believe that we have to take threats seriously before they fully materialize, I saw a threat in Saddam Hussein. Everybody saw a threat in Saddam Hussein. My opponent saw a threat in Saddam Hussein,

O’REILLY: Not Jacques Chirac?

BUSH:: Well, he voted yes at the Security Council.

O’REILLY: Yeah, but he stabbed you guys in the back, you thought he was going to help you and he didn't.

BUSH:: Well, the, in the first resolution that took place in — right after my, well not right after my speech, but shortly after my speech, at the General Assembly in 2002, — the resolution said, the resolution said, disclose, disarm, or face serious consequences, and France voted aye. When it came time, after diplomacy had failed, to define serious consequences, that's where we had a divergence of opinion. I believe when international bodies speak, they ought to, — they ought to mean what they say. And I believe when a President speaks, he ought to mean what he says.

O’REILLY: What’s Chirac’s problem?

BUSH:: In Iraq? Well he...

CROSSTALK

O’REILLY: He hasn’t been a great ally to the U.S. since 9/11, they won't, he doesn’t want NATO (search) forces to protect elections in Afghanistan, come on, I mean, this guy’s…

BUSH:: Well they're helping us in Afghanistan some, they’ve helped us in Haiti some. But you know, he’s, — he just didn't see the wisdom of the action in Iraq and I think history’s going to prove him wrong. I would, I …

CROSSTALK

O’REILLY: You think it was political, you think he’s playing to his left-wing base in France?

BUSH: Well, you’d better get him on your show “Factor,” because I don't want to put words in his — I’ll tell you this. I’ll tell you this. — If Saddam Hussein were in power today, we’d be a heck of a lot worse off. And it’s really important for our citizens to understand that. This is a guy that had the capability of making weapons. I believe he was trying to delay and hope that the world would turn its head once again, and remember, there was what, seventeen different U.N. resolutions…

O’REILLY: Oh, it’s ridiculous. I, mean…

BUSH: That had been totally ignored.

O’REILLY: On that one, I’m with you.

BUSH: He would have been completely strengthened if the United States and the world had not acted.

O’REILLY: Well what about the guys who died in the first Gulf War, when you sign a cease-fire that he disobeyed seventeen times…

O’REILLY: We’re supposed to let those guys just be buried in the sand and not do anything? Look I’m, everybody knows I’m with you on that one.

All right. In light of the CBS document fiasco, do you think you get a fair shake from the network news and the elite media like the “New York Times?” Do you think your administration and you get a fair…

BUSH:: That — O’Reilly, you know I’m smarter than that, to be taking on the press in the middle of a campaign.

[LAUGHTER]

O’REILLY: Well…

BUSH:: What do you want…

[LAUGHTER]

O’REILLY: Philosophically, let’s talk philosophically. Do you think you get a fair shake?

BUSH:: Look I, that's up for the people to decide that. You know, I — I just tell people what I think. And I try to be as clear as I can be. You know, when it’s all said and done, and people look at this campaign, they're going to have to decide whether or not they want somebody who tells them what he believes and doesn’t change positions based upon pressure and polls or, or articles in newspapers.

O’REILLY: A guy over at “Newsweek,” Evan Thomas, one of the editors over there, said eighty percent of the elite media favors Kerry.

BUSH: Yeah.

[LAUGHTER]

O’REILLY: That doesn’t surprise you, does it?

BUSH:: Not really.

O’REILLY: Do you have any theory on why college professors pinhead press people?

BUSH: [LAUGHTER]

O’REILLY: And I’m in one of those, by the way, — I’m a pinhead press figure —why they go into the liberal realm?

BUSH: No, I, I don't, I really haven’t…

O’REILLY: Cause you went to Yale and Harvard.

BUSH: I did.

O’REILLY: And they’re all, pinhead liberals over there, right?

[LAUGHTER]

BUSH: I haven’t spent a lot of time why professors feel the way they feel…

O’REILLY: You just wanted to get out of the class. I was the same way. I don't care what you think.

[LAUGHTER]

All right, do you think you got any preferential treatment getting into the Air Guard during Vietnam?

BUSH:: No. I don’t. As a matter of fact, the general that or the commander of the unit Buck Staudt, said, said the same thing. No.

O’REILLY: So you don’t think you got any preferential treatment because you were a Bush?

BUSH: I don't. If I did, I have, I’m not, — I’m not aware of it, and again, the, commander of my unit, Buck Staudt, said the other day, publicly, I got no preferential treatment.

O’REILLY: If you had to do anything again during those years, if you had to live, re-live them, would you have done anything differently?

BUSH: No, I fulfilled my duty, and was honorably discharged. I think I had about five hundred and seventy flying hours, and…

O’REILLY: So all this is propaganda, all of this…

BUSH: I was on active duty for a little over a year and a half and I proudly served.

CROSSTALK

O’REILLY: And they…

BUSH: And had my unit been called up, I’d have gone.

O’REILLY: They say you didn't register in Massachusetts, is that bogus?

BUSH:: I fulfilled my duties, I mean, this is...

[LAUGHTER]

I did exactly what my commanders told me to do.

O’REILLY: OK. Do you think the Swift Boat vets charges against Kerry are unfair?

BUSH:: I think that these ads — first of all, I said clearly — all these ads, these 527s, where billionaires fund the campaigns, ought to be gone.

O’REILLY: Yeah. I agree.

BUSH: I thought I signed a bill that did that, but you know, evidently they, regulatory bodies didn't agree. And uh, we’ve now just got money flooding into the system, and it’s been flooding in for over a year, into the system, that not only puts TV ads up, but also [CROSSTALK] disrupt the ground game…

O’REILLY: Excuse me. It’s just corrupt, and we know it. But the Swift Boat guys against Kerry, do you think that was fair?

BUSH: As I said, I was asked about whether or not Kerry lied, I said, no, he didn't lie. That was my judgment, I don't know enough about the Swift Boat people. — I do know that they’ve got strong opinions, and I, believed that those ads as well as other types of ads shouldn’t have been on the air.

O’REILLY: You didn't know anything about the Swift Boat ads before they went on the air, did you?

BUSH: No. I didn't.

O’REILLY: Did Karl Rove (search) know anything about it?

BUSH: I don't think so. In other words, you're asking if anybody coordinated this in our campaign?

O’REILLY: No, whether they’d give you a heads up they were going to do it.

BUSH: Not to my knowledge.

BILL O'REILLY, HOST: One of the big propaganda things against you is the classroom in Florida after 9/11 when Andrew Card (search) came in and whispered in your ear.

O’REILLY: Let’s clear this up once and for all. What were you thinking?

BUSH: I was thinking America was under attack, I was collecting my thoughts, and I wasn’t about to panic a bunch of kids. And the program was winding down, I waited for the end of the program, I excused myself and I went to action. And what the American people will judge me on is whether or not I handled that crisis, in a way that lets them know that, that I’ll lead in this war on terror, that's what they need to look at, and I think they are looking at it that way.

O’REILLY: We’ve got about four minutes to go, and I’ve got two more questions. We talked about this time, I don't know whether you remember, but the last time we talked, I asked you what you thought Jesus would think about capital punishment.

BUSH: I remember.

O’REILLY: That was one of the discussions that we had.

O’REILLY: This time I want to ask you, why do you think some people get upset when you mention your faith vis-à-vis your job?

BUSH: I really mention my faith vis-à-vis my life, and I don't know. -- I don't know why people get upset with that. People, -- I’m asked a question, -- what does faith mean to me, it means strength and calm in the face of the storm. I mean, I do rely on prayer, and I am empowered by the fact, I’m empowered by the fact that people pray for me. -- I’m sustained by that, not empowered -- I’m sustained by that, is a better word. I don't know why people object to somebody who is, -- when asked -- says religion’s important.

O’REILLY: Is it important in your decision-making?

BUSH: It’s an important part of my life. I don't see how you can divorce religion and how you live your life. I mean -- I, they're -- if faith is an important part of your life it’s ingrained in your soul, and ingrained in your being. And I make decisions based upon what’s best for this country. And I pray for wisdom, I pray for strength, I pray for others who are in harm’s way. I pray for the soldiers, I pray for their families. And I make decisions -- I make decisions about earthly matters, I make decisions about how to get out of recession, or how to improve education, or how to spread the peace-- and that's what I believe we’re doing is spreading the peace.

O’REILLY: OK. What don’t Americans know about you? You’ve been written about, debated, you're in the news every day, what don’t we know about you?

BUSH: That's a tough question to answer, because I’m not exactly sure…

O’REILLY: What do you want…

BUSH: If Americans…

O’REILLY: What do you want…

BUSH: Really think about me.

O’REILLY: Oh, they do.

BUSH: No, I know they're thinking about me…

O’REILLY: Yeah.

BUSH: I’m just trying to get a sense for-- well I hope they know I’ve got a great sense of humor and laugh-- I hope they know that I’m totally dedicated to my family, that I love my wife and my daughters are just -- mean more to me than anything. I hope they know that I weep when they weep, and I laugh when they laugh, that I take great joy in, you know…

O’REILLY: You love the job?

BUSH: I do, I really enjoy it a lot.

O’REILLY: Because when you were first running, you weren’t -- didn't know -- whether you were going to love it.

BUSH: Well you didn't know, you don’t know till you’ve had it, and I do love the job, I love it enough to ask for four more years. Now, this has been a tough three and a half years. And it’s -- I believe because we’ve done hard work in these three and a half years -- this world is getting better. In my convention speech, I said, we climbed a mountain and now we see the valley below. I really believe that. I believe that peace is coming, and I believe that we’re more free. I believe we’ve done our duty to our children and our grandchildren to fight these ideologues of hate and to spread freedom and peace at the same time. I believe what these kids are seeing on their TV screens in Iraq (search) and Afghanistan (search) will make their life better when Iraq becomes free. And it’s becoming free.

O’REILLY: So you are indeed a true believer.

BUSH: I’m a believer. I’m a believer in the power of liberty to transform societies, and I believe we have a duty, I believe we have a duty to spread liberty so that our children and grandchildren can grow up in peace.

O’REILLY: Mr. President, thanks very much, we really appreciate you talking to us.

BUSH: Thank you sir.

RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    Good post. Bump.

Badgerman is offline Banned
    Bush is in la la land.......

biglouie250 is offline Anabolic Member
    good thing our commander in chief mixes up the deficit and the national debt......
    Last edited by biglouie250; 09-30-2004 at 09:08 AM.

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    I just saw a couple hi lites from the interview on the daily show yesterday, if you get a chance, they play the rerun today at 7pm eastern time on comedy central. I think the daily show is also doing live coverage after the debate ends tonite.

I thought he handled every question really well, especially considering this interview wasn't so scripted like the debates will be, where its just the regurgitating of information. Bill didn't go easy on him either, asking him the tough questions about Iran, the economy, etc........I liked his stance on everything except the border. When he essentially gave illegal aliens legal status, that was a bad move. Its just a ploy to get support among Hispanic voters..........And just in general, he hasn't helped border security enough. I would like to see the military being used, that would be effective. Coke dealers, illegal alien smugglers, etc aren't afraid of the border patrol. The only people they scare are steroid users......

hung-solo is offline Registered User
    the debates are going to be really good this year i think.. i think that if bush gets to have it his way, his speaches will be made up for him b/c he cant think to well on his feet. he is not really quick witted in most areas..but if bush cant have his fixes speaches then watch him close! that little hamster in his head couldnt turn fast enough..kerry on the other hand does have intelligence on his side. he is quick witted and makes a point to be prepared at all times. esp here lately.. going to be interesting..

Badgerman is offline Banned

I thought he handled every question really well, especially considering this interview wasn't so scripted like the debates will be, where its just the regurgitating of information. Bill didn't go easy on him either, asking him the tough questions about Iran, the economy, etc........I liked his stance on everything except the border. When he essentially gave illegal aliens legal status, that was a bad move. Its just a ploy to get support among Hispanic voters..........And just in general, he hasn't helped border security enough. I would like to see the military being used, that would be effective. Coke dealers, illegal alien smugglers, etc aren't afraid of the border patrol. The only people they scare are steroid users......
    Let's see...confuses deficit and debt......gives an inaccurate assessment on the situation in IRAQ......gives in to Hispanics like you say......essentially threatens IRAN with war......great answers alright.......and you're voting for this clown.....O'REILLY was way soft.......

hung-solo is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Badgerman

Let's see...confuses deficit and debt......gives an inaccurate assessment on the situation in IRAQ......gives in to Hispanics like you say......essentially threatens IRAN with war......great answers alright.......and you're voting for this clown.....O'REILLY was way soft.......

get em boy!

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerman

A) Bush asked for clairification on what Bill was talking about, he did that several times. Why don't you make a fuss over how he asked for clairification about the Jacket and the "Mission Accomplished" sign? This wasn't a scripted interview, Bush only knew the topics Bill was going to bring up, not the specific questions. Asking for clairification was neccesary so that he gave good answers to the questions.

B) How was his assessment of the situation in Iraq inaccruate? Just because most of the media is saying Iraq is a lost cause does not mean it is, don't be so easily brainwashed.......What specifically did he say that was inaccruate? Everything he said was based off of facts, it wasn't like he just said "Iraq is doing fine, end of story."

C) He never even MENTIONED war with Iran. If anything, you should be bringing up how he avoided the topic of war with Iran. He said all options were on the table, and that they were going to use diplomacy. They are going to pressure Iran out of their pursuit of nuclear weapons peacefully.

D) Lets have Kerry answer some questions before you start calling anyone a "clown." Bush is not the greatest candidate, but hes decent in a lot of areas, and hes WAY better than "I believe whatever you believe" Kerry. Start another thread about where Kerry stands on the issues......you'll find that if you actually look at what he has said (not what you find on his website ), he rarely gives a clear position on his stance on anything. He just depends on the media to hype how anti-Bush he is, and capitalize on that. Why do you think he has flip-flopped so many times? Its because he had to change his stance so it went against Bush......The Dems didn't want a candidate that had the same stance that Bush does.

E) I don't see why you think Bill was so soft. He didn't shirk from asking the president any of the tough questions, tell me one big issue that was not brought up. Everything was covered as well as it could have been in a 30 minute interview.

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    I just skimmed over a bit of the transcript and Bill didn't really ask him any hard questions, and seems to side with him, like with France. If you wanna see a hard interview, watch Tim Russert, he'll pull out quotes that you said from like 10 yrs back, lol.

50%Natural is offline Respected Member
    yeah, i don't think Bush handled the border very well either...at this point, we need military on the border. Arab terrorists are going to blend in with mexican citizens all too easily...we need military on the border...I didn't like his response at all on that topic...other than that, I don't see where he went wrong.

Thread Information