Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
    Bigen12 is offline AR-Hall of Famer

Did Kerry Have Cheat Sheet?

Section 5, pages 4-5 of the binding "Memorandum of Understanding" that was negotiated and agreed upon by both political campaigns states:

"No props, notes, charts, diagrams, or other writings or other tangible things may be brought into the debate by either candidate.... Each candidate must submit to the staff of the Commission prior to the debate all such paper and any pens or pencils with which a candidate may wish to take notes during the debate, and the staff or commission will place such paper, pens and pencils on the podium..."

So what did Dem presidential contender John Kerry take out of his jacket as he approached the stage [with his back to the auditorium's audience]?

What did Kerry place on the podium?

http://www.drudgereport.com/dnc57.htm

SV-1 is offline Respected Member

Was John Kerry trying to pull something at the debate last week?

That question was burning up the Internet yesterday after a slo-mo review of the footage showed the Massachusetts senator taking an object out of his right pocket before the first question.

Was it a cheat sheet — as some conservative bloggers claimed — or was it something innocuous?

Either way, it would violate the debate rules agreed to by both campaigns: "No props, notes . . . or other tangible things may be brought into the debate."

Many blogs offered links to the "Pocket-gate" footage. One, INDC Journal, even posted frame-by-frame stills purporting to show Kerry pulling out a notecard and placing it onto the podium.

But the mystery was solved when The Post reviewed a Fox News Channel feed from Thursday's debate: Kerry pulled out . . . a black pen.

Kerry campaign spokesman David Wade remained angry at the bloggers' guilt-by-insinuation.

"The right-wing attack machine will say anything to steal a debate do-over," he said.

"We plead guilty to having a pen."

The Bush campaign did not comment.

http://www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/31273.htm

Quote Originally Posted by SV-1

Was John Kerry trying to pull something at the debate last week?

That question was burning up the Internet yesterday after a slo-mo review of the footage showed the Massachusetts senator taking an object out of his right pocket before the first question.

Was it a cheat sheet — as some conservative bloggers claimed — or was it something innocuous?

Either way, it would violate the debate rules agreed to by both campaigns: "No props, notes . . . or other tangible things may be brought into the debate."

Many blogs offered links to the "Pocket-gate" footage. One, INDC Journal, even posted frame-by-frame stills purporting to show Kerry pulling out a notecard and placing it onto the podium.

But the mystery was solved when The Post reviewed a Fox News Channel feed from Thursday's debate: Kerry pulled out . . . a black pen.

Kerry campaign spokesman David Wade remained angry at the bloggers' guilt-by-insinuation.

"The right-wing attack machine will say anything to steal a debate do-over," he said.

"We plead guilty to having a pen."

The Bush campaign did not comment.

http://www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/31273.htm
    I knew someone was going to find this.

Have you viewed the Video?

http://homepage.mac.com/cfj/.Movies/JFKCheat.mov

It doesn't look like a pen to me, and it appears that he is unfolding what ever he took out of his coat pocket.

UrbanLegend is offline Senior Member
    I did notice that Kerry had a pen, and appeared to be writting things down during the debate.......that being said, I don't think anyone at this point knows enough to decide whether or not this is a big deal. Kerry didn't do that great in the debate, he spoke really well but he also revealed that he has no idea what he is doing.......Even more so than he had before. He makes grand promises with absolutely no plan on how to get it done. I don't think he has a real grasp on what it takes to be the President. Bush should have capitalized on this.

Also, remember, Fox News is conservatively biased, and the Post is liberally biased, so there need to be different sources on this before anything can be said one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend
    I did notice that Kerry had a pen, and appeared to be writting things down during the debate.......that being said, I don't think anyone at this point knows enough to decide whether or not this is a big deal.

Also, remember, Fox News is conservatively biased, and the Post is liberally biased, so there need to be different sources on this before anything can be said one way or the other.
    Both of them had a pen and paper, which was left on the podium for them. They were not to bring anything to the podium, which obviously Kerry did.

So is it acceptable to break the rules?

Again watch the video, what does it look like to you?

50%Natural is offline Respected Member
    petty

EastCoaster is offline Banned
    agreed

Quote Originally Posted by 50%Natural
    petty

I believe that it goes toward character, or lack of it. There are a clear set of rules, people with character abide by them. People with out character do not.

sin
    sin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend
    I did notice that Kerry had a pen, and appeared to be writting things down during the debate.......that being said, I don't think anyone at this point knows enough to decide whether or not this is a big deal. Kerry didn't do that great in the debate, he spoke really well but he also revealed that he has no idea what he is doing.......Even more so than he had before. He makes grand promises with absolutely no plan on how to get it done. I don't think he has a real grasp on what it takes to be the President. Bush should have capitalized on this.

bush had a clear lead going into the debate and now its dead even. i think kerry did better than you give him credit for.

sin
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigen12
    I believe that it goes toward character, or lack of it. There are a clear set of rules, people with character abide by them. People with out character do not.
    you mean like bush butting in for rebuttals again and again?

Quote Originally Posted by sin

He had thought that Kerry was through speaking, and began to speak and stoped after he realized Kerry wasn't through, he wanted to make sure that he got his point in.

sin
    He had thought that Kerry was through speaking, and began to speak and stoped after he realized Kerry wasn't through, he wanted to make sure that he got his point in.
    thats not what i saw.

UrbanLegend is offline Senior Member
    bush had a clear lead going into the debate and now its dead even. i think kerry did better than you give him credit for.

What I posted was JMO. And I did speak the truth.......Kerry is a good speaker in terms of HOW he says things, but the content was pretty weak. You can tell the guy used to be a lawyer.
    Last edited by UrbanLegend; 10-04-2004 at 03:15 PM.

Badgerman is offline Banned
    Bush acted like he had a little valium in his system.......JMO

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerman
    Bush acted like he had a little valium in his system.......JMO
    I don't know he did get a little bit hot, both of them did.

SV-1 is offline Respected Member
    And Bush broke the rules by directly addressing Kerry.

Who fu*king cares.

I see you're point, and you are right.

Have you watched the video, what does it look like to you he pulled out of his pocket?

It just looks like more than a pen to me??

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Well I'd have never used notes....hell no. I'd have had one of those ear mics and a crew of people looking the information up for me and feeding it too me. If you cheat then by God cheat big....not half assed. If he did that then I'd vote for him.....twice...maybe three times. hahahahahahaha

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Is this really the most important issue for America's future?

BTW-anyone see SNL.

Kerry: " James Carville are you hear to congratulate me on my debate victory?"

Carville: "The guy is retarded and doesn't know how to talk, its like wilt chamberlain playing steven hawkins in BBall and winning by 2 points"

sin
    I see you're point, and you are right.

Have you watched the video, what does it look like to you he pulled out of his pocket?

It just looks like more than a pen to me??
    i havent watched the vid, but it already bums me out to think that we may need to strip search both the presidential candidates so they wont cheat.

CAUSASIAN is offline Banned
    The American Conservatives of today are so pathetic. Just admit the fact that Bush lost the debate and move on, and focus on the next debate.

Bush could have killed Kerry in the debate, but he blew it. Let Bush get Kerry on the next debate.

Instead of the conspiracy theories of Kerry "cheating"

The American Conservatives of old, were so cultured, and so intelligent. The ones of today are so angry and all they do is spout nonsense.

Cycleon is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    who cares?

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    Who gives a fvck.

Im sure it would have been a little more obvious if he had a folded up piece of paper on his podium.

Go snitch on your brother or something else constructive.

Anhydro78 is offline Anabolic Member
    I dont even think you could call it a debate. They where both lame. And the only one that even mentioned anything new was Kerry. Very disappointing.

50%Natural is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EastCoaster
    agreed
    haha, isn't that crazy? bet you didn't see that one coming

Thread Information