Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts

Thread: Ramadan

max2extreme is offline Anabolic Member

Ramadan

What is the reason for fasting from dawn to dusk?

"On the evening of the 27th day of the month, Muslims celebrate the Laylat-al-Qadr (the Night of Power). It is believed that on this night Muhammad first received the revelation of the Holy Quran. And according to the Quran, this is when God determines the course of the world for the following year"

This true? Allah works on a year by year schedule?

btw, I saw that it says in the quran to fast...so I answered my first question.

palme is offline Rosie Member
    2 of my bouncer buddies are muslims, they are goin to eat all night when we work haha, morons.

What else can you do? If I had to fast all day for a month, I would DEFINATLY switch my days. Id wake up at 8pm eat my breakfast and go to work. If my job didnt let me, Id take a month of absense. Can you imagine?? Fasting ALL day! Then have a meal at night, go to bed, have a meal just before dawn and do it again!

max

Rak_Ani is offline Queen of Zion
    Quote Originally Posted by max2extreme
    What else can you do? If I had to fast all day for a month, I would DEFINATLY switch my days. Id wake up at 8pm eat my breakfast and go to work. If my job didnt let me, Id take a month of absense. Can you imagine?? Fasting ALL day! Then have a meal at night, go to bed, have a meal just before dawn and do it again!

max
    Religious Muslims wake up at around 4am anyway for prayer. It's still dark then so they get to have breakfast. Then the sun goes down around 6pm, even before that, and they start eating again then. How many people in the world spend a whole day without eating a meal because they don't have time?
    At my job we don't have night shifts, but we have shifts that go on after it's dark, so during Ramadan we let the religious Muslims work morning shifts so that they can be home to eat as soon as it's dark.

By religious muslims, does that mean you have "non-religious" muslims that do not take part in Ramadan? What do the 'religious' muslims think of these 'non-religious' muslims?

CAUSASIAN is offline Banned
    During Ramadhan muslims are required to abstain from eating, drinking and sexual intercourse between dawn and dusk. There are other things we cant do either, but those are minor and isnt worth mentioning.

Kids dont have to fast, women on period dont have to fast during that week, the weak and the poor dont have to fast.

There are many reasons for this. While fasting we will know the suffering of the poor people in the world, who dont have anything to eat, we will know what they go through.

It also shows devotion and discpline to GOD.

I cant wait for Ramadhan to start, I was looking forward for it for a while.

Most Muslims read the whole Quran during the month of Ramadhan during prayers.

People that dont fast during Ramadhan are bad muslims, and GOD will judge them.

"On the evening of the 27th day of the month, Muslims celebrate the Laylat-al-Qadr (the Night of Power). It is believed that on this night Muhammad first received the revelation of the Holy Quran. And according to the Quran, this is when God determines the course of the world for the following year"

This true? Allah works on a year by year schedule?

btw, I saw that it says in the quran to fast...so I answered my first question.
    That passage isnt from the Quran.

Rak_Ani is offline Queen of Zion
    By religious muslims, does that mean you have "non-religious" muslims that do not take part in Ramadan? What do the 'religious' muslims think of these 'non-religious' muslims?
    Don't take this as a phrase that is formal. When I say religious and non religious I'm translating from how we say it in Hebrew when we talk about those who follow and practice the religion and those who don't. Some Muslims don't take part in Ramadan just like some Jews don't fast on Yom Kippur and some Christians don't practice Christianity....

Quote Originally Posted by Rak_Ani
    Don't take this as a phrase that is formal. When I say religious and non religious I'm translating from how we say it in Hebrew when we talk about those who follow and practice the religion and those who don't. Some Muslims don't take part in Ramadan just like some Jews don't fast on Yom Kippur and some Christians don't practice Christianity....
    Gotcha... Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CAUSASIAN
    That passage isnt from the Quran.

I realize this isnt a passage in the quran. I was wondering if there was a passage that goes along those lines to where the writer could say "..plans out the next year."

I dont know what you are trying to say. But there are other religious holidays that are celebrated yearly, including Jewish and Christian holidays.

In the Middle Ages pious Chrisitians fasted.

physio_sport is offline Banned
    ther are different interpretations from different religous school like shia or sunni on these things.

but the one that i follow which is the proper one which is sunni they teach that a person can only be in two stages which are either muslim or non-muslim and a muslim is one who follows the teaching in the quran and a non-muslim is one who either does not follow islam or a person who dis-obays the quran.

if a person reads the quran they will realise that no one is a muslim for free without working for it through practice and prayer and no one can just claim to be a muslim unless they put it into practice in there daily lives.
    a person who claims to be a muslim but does not follow the quran is not a muslim and on the day of judement will be considered a non-muslim.
    all those people who claim they are muslim but get drunk, have sex before marrige, disrespect there parents or are criminals will all be considered non-muslims(kaffir) on the day of judement.

this is becuase in islam there is no-middle ground like there is in other religons where a person can become a "blacksheep" and stray from the flock like in christianity. but if a person realises that they have disobeyed the teachings and then come back to islam and start to follow it properly then they will be forgiven and they will be a muslim again.

The Holy Month of Ramadhan, which begins after the crescent of the new moon is spotted, is one of the most sacred Islamic observances because it marks the month in which Allah revealed the Holy Qur'an to Prophet Muhammad (p.b.u.h), bringing with it all the glory.

Quote Originally Posted by physio_sport
    ther are different interpretations from different religous school like shia or sunni on these things.

but the one that i follow which is the proper one which is sunni they teach that a person can only be in two stages which are either muslim or non-muslim and a muslim is one who follows the teaching in the quran and a non-muslim is one who either does not follow islam or a person who dis-obays the quran.

if a person reads the quran they will realise that no one is a muslim for free without working for it through practice and prayer and no one can just claim to be a muslim unless they put it into practice in there daily lives.
    a person who claims to be a muslim but does not follow the quran is not a muslim and on the day of judement will be considered a non-muslim.
    all those people who claim they are muslim but get drunk, have sex before marrige, disrespect there parents or are criminals will all be considered non-muslims(kaffir) on the day of judement.

this is becuase in islam there is no-middle ground like there is in other religons where a person can become a "blacksheep" and stray from the flock like in christianity. but if a person realises that they have disobeyed the teachings and then come back to islam and start to follow it properly then they will be forgiven and they will be a muslim again.
    I disagree, to me, as soon as you take the Shahada of "La ilaha il Allah, Muhammad-ur-Rasool-Allah" (None has the right to be worshipped but Allah, and Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah, in front of 4 witnesses, you become a muslim.

Now wheater you choose to be a good muslim or bad muslim is up to you.

Almost all humans have disrespected their parents, that doesnt mean, they arent Muslims, because remeber the phrase "Allah (SWT) is the most merciful"

Are you from the Hanafi Sunni school? I am of the same school of thought.
    Last edited by CAUSASIAN; 10-08-2004 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by palme
    2 of my bouncer buddies are muslims, they are goin to eat all night when we work haha, morons.
    why are they morons?

Almost all humans have disrespected their parents, that doesnt mean, they arent Muslims, because remeber the phrase "Allah (SWT) is the most merciful"
    yeah but a person can be a bad muslim becuase of negligence but will still be a muslim becuase they are either lazy or ignorent.
    but the people who i am talking about is the hypocrite "muslim" who god has promised a special place in hell and the arrogant "muslim" who thinks he can make his own laws up and disregard allahs laws like in turkey where they said you only need to pray 3 times a day(or something like that) and also allow prostitution in turkey and they also are promised a special place in hell.

yeah but a person can be a bad muslim becuase of negligence but will still be a muslim becuase they are either lazy or ignorent.
    but the people who i am talking about is the hypocrite "muslim" who god has promised a special place in hell and the arrogant "muslim" who thinks he can make his own laws up and disregard allahs laws like in turkey where they said you only need to pray 3 times a day(or something like that) and also allow prostitution in turkey and they also are promised a special place in hell.
    Oh ok.

Bigen12 is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    and also allow prostitution in turkey and they also are promised a special place in hell.
    Right next to the room where people go that drive slow in the fast lane.... Just Joking Physio

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    I think Palme was only kidding you Physio.

Quote Originally Posted by BOUNCER
    I think Palme was only kidding you Physio.
    yeah most probably.

I dont know what you are trying to say. But there are other religious holidays that are celebrated yearly, including Jewish and Christian holidays.

In the Middle Ages pious Chrisitians fasted.
    I answered myself about the fasting...Its in the quran to fast, so you fast. I thought it strange that the writer of that quote put up there "...Allah plans the next year after that date..." or whatever the quote was up top. And if it said something to this effect in the quran anywhere. Or if not, I just wonder where they got it. Im not trying to say anything really.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    In the Middle East Ramadan is backed by local laws... if you are found during those 30 days stuffin' a cheeseburger in your mouth in your car they can take your ass to jail until its over (starts on the new moon and lasts for 30 days). Most stores are closed during the day and then stay open late. They fast during the day - putting nothing in their mouth... no gum... no cigs... no water - nothing... can't even swallow their own saliva (they spit it out). After the fast is over with the sunset the street fill up with Land Cruisers looking for some chow!

They break their fast with Ishtar (sp?) where they invite people to their homes (gives them brownie points with Allah) for a meal.

There are a lot of car accidents - especially the first few weeks of Ramadan. You have a lot of hungry, thirsty and nicotine-fitting Muslims to add to already sh!tty driving habits.

Personally I think the whole idea of Ramadan (aside from the religious agenda) is pretty interesting... it's like a time where you acknowledge somethign greater than yourself, think about other less fortunate people and get together with people. Eids follows at the end - like a festival... fireworks and what not... typically lasting 1-3 days where business's close and people celebrate...

KAEW44 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior
    ... can't even swallow their own saliva (they spit it out). ..
    No man i'm petty sure u can swallow your own saliva because thats not considered drinking or eating, the only exception is given to people who are cooking food during the day they are allowed to taste the food by placing a drop on their tongue and then spitting it out just to check the saltiness level. I'm sure while fasting u swallow yoru own spit , it has no nutritional value.

As for the sudden swarming of land-cruiseres when its time to eat then thats funny because thats the typical scene in Gulf countires...the toyota land cruiser and nissan patrol is the standard car there.

zOaib is offline VET
    " INNA ANZALNA HU FI LAILATUL QADR , WAMA ADRAQA MA LAILATU L QADR , LAILATUL QADR-E KAHIRUM MIN ALFHI SHAHR , TANZALUL MALAIKATAHU WA ROHOO FIHA BI IZNEE RABBEE HIM SALAAM MUN HEYA HATTA MATLAIL FAJR " ( SURAH AL - QADR )

translation.

1. Lo! We revealed it on the Night of Predestination.

2. Ah, what will convey unto thee what the Night of Power is!

3. The Night of Power is better than a thousand months.

4. The angels and the Spirit (gabriel) descend therein, by the permission of their Lord, with all decrees.

5. (The night is) Peace until the rising of the dawn.

GOD works out a plan for the future of every individual during this month , and escribes , welath , poverty or whatever he wishes for the individual , also it depends on how u worship during this month meaning being on good behaviour will pay off ................ and this month is better than a thousand months , which alone can explain the importance of this month !

for your question MAX does god work on a yearly schedule ? well i really dont know if the days and months are same equal to ours from where GOD is , but i do know that what is meant is from this ramadan to the next , things will be decided in favour of an individual based on his or her deeds ..............

by the way all the prophets also fasted , even JESUS did too , he used fasting a way to commune with GOD , since fasting helps in controlling the NAFS meaning the WILL we have inside , u r more closer to god in your prayers rather when u eat ............. fasting also helps us muslims to overcome many things , which are lustful in nature and also increases the WILL POWER and Patience ! .................. it just makes us more powerful !

all my co workers were amazed when i fasted last ramadan , where they would be sweatin ballz , and drinking water and eating all the time i was fasting and they just couldnt comprehend how i did it , its just that When u do it with pure intentions GOD helps u overcome the bodily desires to eat and nutrition yourself , basically we are souls , embodied in this material form for an ultimate test , and its not an easy thing to control your desires !

Ramadan Mubarak to all !

zOaib is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by KAEW44
    No man i'm petty sure u can swallow your own saliva because thats not considered drinking or eating, the only exception is given to people who are cooking food during the day they are allowed to taste the food by placing a drop on their tongue and then spitting it out just to check the saltiness level. I'm sure while fasting u swallow yoru own spit , it has no nutritional value.

As for the sudden swarming of land-cruiseres when its time to eat then thats funny because thats the typical scene in Gulf countires...the toyota land cruiser and nissan patrol is the standard car there.
    you can toothbrush , gargle liquid , just makign sure it doesnt goes down your throat , but u cannot do this with food , saliva is a naturally occuring thing which your body produces and it doesnt matter how much salaiva u swallow while fasting !

The phrase is talking about one night during Ramadhan, which is the Night of Power.

Allah (SWT) says in the Qur'an in Surah Al-Qadr:

"We have indeed revealed this (message) in the Night of Power. And what will explain to thee what the Night of Power is? The Night of Power is better than a thousand months. Therein come down the angels and the spirit by God's permission, on every errand: Peace! This until the rise of Morn." (97:1-5)

Here is a good article on that night.

http://www.crescentlife.com/spiritua...t_of_power.htm

max
    Its not that hard, as you are making it seem. It is nothing, really.

A typical day in NJ, America for instance, this coming Ramadhan the first day, sun rises at about 5:45 am, and the sun sets at 8:45pm. And the times change everyday, because of the sun patterns.

I usually gain weight during Ramadhan, because I eat 2 big meals instead of small meals throughout the day.

Food is not the only thing you are to abstain from. Sexual activity also must be avoided.
    Last edited by CAUSASIAN; 10-10-2004 at 07:50 AM.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by KAEW44

Water has no nutritional value either - but they can't endulge in it. Construction companies will work half days to keep from having employees drop out. I guess some Arabic Muslims like to make sure they cross all their t's and dot all the i's... cause I have seen them spit during the day. After working almost a year and a half, this will be my second Ramadan in the Middle East - it will probably begin on Friday...

There are a lot of exceptions for breaking a fast - but most require the days to be made up later... I was talking to this cat from Yemen last week who said he still had to make up one day from last year's fast because he had to take some medication which made him break for a day.

Thread Information