Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    physio_sport is offline Banned

New bill in US calls for rating countries on treatment of Jews

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...s_041012144340

New bill in US calls for rating countries on treatment of Jews

Tue Oct 12,10:43 AM ET

WASHINGTON (AFP) - US Jewish organizations have hailed final congressional approval of a bill that compels the State Department to create a special office to monitor anti-Semitic abuses around the world and compile annual reports rating countries on their treatment of Jews.

The bill, known as the Global Anti-Semitism Awareness Act, was introduced by Democratic Representative Tom Lantos (news, bio, voting record), the only Holocaust survivor in the US Congress, in response to recent acts of anti-Semitism in Europe and the Middle East.

The measure quietly cleared both the Senate and the House of Representatives by agreement and voice vote late last week -- over objections by the State Department.

The department has opposed the bill because it felt it would be seen as giving preferential treatment to Jews over other religious or ethnic groups in human rights reporting.

But last month, it received an angry letter from more than 100 prominent Americans, including former Republican vice presidential nominee Jack Kemp and ex-UN ambassador Jeane Kirkpatrick, saying that US diplomats were "wrong."

"It is the anti-Semites who are singling out Jews, and that is why the fight against anti-Semitism deserves specific, focused attention," the letter said.

Under the legislation, the State Department will have to produce an annual report on anti-Semitism around the world and publish it as part of its annual review of human rights.

Moreover, the bill creates a specific office within the department that would document anti-Semitic abuses and design strategies to combat them. It would be headed by a special envoy to spearhead the worldwide fight against anti-Semitism.

"Considering that anti-Semitism plagues all regions of the world, this special office will ensure that the United States resolutely denounces acts of anti-Semitism across the board, including state-sponsored anti-Semitism in Syria and elsewhere," said Republican Congressman Chris Smith, a co-sponsor of the legislation.

Rafael Medoff, director of the Pennsylvania-based David S. Wyman Institute for Holocaust Studies, praised members of Congress on Monday for their "vision, courage and determination in overcoming the State Department's obstacles and achieving this crucial step in the battle against anti-Semitism."

Joel Schindler, president of the National Council of Soviet Jewry, said Congress "has now provided new avenues" for combating anti-Semitism around the world.

Barbara Balser, national chairwoman of the Anti-Defamation League, and Abraham Foxman, its national director, said acts of anti-Semitism witnessed over the last two years have underscored the need for greater monitoring of such crimes.

"As more governments take on this responsibility, strong US reporting on anti-Semitism as a human rights and religious freedom issue is vitally important," Balser and Foxman said.

The measure, which is largely expected to be signed by President George W. Bush (news - web sites), requires that the State Department document acts of physical violence against Jews, their property, cemeteries and places of worship abroad, as well as local governments' responses to them.

The report will also take note of instances of anti-Jewish propaganda and governments' readiness to promote unbiased school curricula emphasizing tolerance.

Among the attacks that prompted passage of the bill, the sponsors mentioned the burning of a Jewish synagogue in Toulon, France, last March, the desecration of about 50 Jewish gravestones in St. Petersburg, Russia, in February, and the recent claim by former Malaysian prime minister Mahathir Mohamad that Jews "rule the world by proxy."

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    I'd like to see them do something like this, but only for gays and lesbians.
    Craziness.
    -Tock

wingsofazrael is offline Associate Member
    this **** is what is wrong with this country.

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Wings, whats that in your avatar?

Will Power is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BOUNCER
    Wings, whats that in your avatar?
    If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck......

biglouie250 is offline Anabolic Member
    thats BS...church and state are supposed to be separate....stop wastin govt dollars on stupid ass religious nonsense!!! If i were president id try to tax the hell out of all religions!

it is a representation of a palestinian freedom fighter. is that problem for anyone???

That depends if "freedom fighter" is your way of saying that it is acceptable to bomb
    and kill innocents, then yeah I got a problem with it. If it is a representation of the thought of "liberation" for the palestinian people then no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by wingsofazrael
    it is a representation of a palestinian freedom fighter. is that problem for anyone???
    Yes its a problem for the board. We'd appricate it if it was changed.

Rak_Ani is offline Queen of Zion
    What does the Arabic writting say?

I am supposed to change my avatar, why? The avatar is offensive? Millions of people across the arab and non-arab world were the keffiyah as a symbol of support for the palestinian people. That offends people? Well the oppression by the Israelis of the Palestinian people offends me. Am I making a big deal out of other peoples avatars and the fact it seems like you are discriminating against me? No. So what does that say? Trying to make an issue out of a piece of ethnic clothing that depicts nothing racist or obscene, is absurd. So if you feel like my support for the liberation of the Palestinian people is a reason to ban me, then go right ahead. And for the one who asked about the arabic writing, it says 'for you'.

And to the person who was asking my thoughts on the killing of innocents, obviously you havent searched through any of my other posts. The killing of innocents is condemned, period.

CAUSASIAN is offline Banned
    I dont see whats wrong with that avatar at all. Is it the blood?
    Last edited by CAUSASIAN; 10-14-2004 at 09:49 PM.

And for the one who asked about the arabic writing, it says 'for you'.
    Can you type that in Arabic. To me it reads Alaaaekk. Is that right? I can read Arabic pretty good, but not sure if I am reading that right.

my friend from lebanon reads it as 'for you'. im not really good at translating. its nothing derogatory though, im sure. and that isnt blood, its part of a larger picutre that has some more arabic writing on it. i just have this small piece.

and that isnt blood, its part of a larger picutre that has some more arabic writing on it.
    Oh ok, now that I look at it, the red, looks like Arabic writing.

You can show your support for the Palestinian people with another less offensive avatar. Having an avatar of a terrorist is offensive and against board rules. Showing your support for a cause, just or otherwise is one thing but it can be done without symbols of terror in your avatar. You want to show your support, your more than welcome to join our discussions here but your avatar can't be allowed.

so anyone wearing a keffiyah or headress is a terrorist? well, thats interesting. ill inform the whole middle east from morocco to western china that they are indeed terrorists because they are wearing a keffiyah or headress. im sure theyll be pleased. what a ****ing stereotype. ive had this avatar as long ive been here and i dont recall anyone saying anything but you.

This is the problem. Whats a Palestinian freedom fighter?. Is he a member of the Palestinian authoritries security forces or a member of an underground militia?..

I'm not sterio typing the Arab head dress, I've more experience working with Arabs than you could ever hope to have I'm sure. Like I said, you can show your support of the Palestinian people without having an avatar depicting a terrorist.

This is the problem. Whats a Palestinian freedom fighter?. Is he a member of the Palestinian authoritries security forces or a member of an underground militia?..

I'm not sterio typing the Arab head dress, I've more experience working with Arabs than you could ever hope to have I'm sure. Like I said, you can show your support of the Palestinian people without having an avatar depicting a terrorist. Fcvk this sh*t I'm being too soft. Support for ANY under ground militia regardless the cause is against the board rules here, its terror pure and simple, regardless where the country is I find the avatar offensive and thats why I asked you to remove it. If you don't know how I can do it for you.

Here is my handy Arab Keffiyah, with the avatars of WingsofAzrael and Bouncer in the backround.

Attached Images Attached Images

And here's a skinny me in Lebanon back in 1988!. Whats you point?..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New bill in US calls for rating countries on treatment of Jews-shamrock.jpg  

Thats a cool picture, you look like Lawrence of Arabia. I am going to make my avatar, to be peaceful during Ramadan, with a picture of my future wifes eyes.
    Last edited by CAUSASIAN; 10-15-2004 at 06:22 AM.

zOaib is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by CAUSASIAN
    Thats a cool picture, you look like Lawrence of Arabia. I am going to make my avatar, to be peaceful during Ramadan, with a picture of my future wifes eyes.
    well this is my wife , and i think ill copy CAUSASIAN's idea .......... cool !

I'd put a pic of my Mother-in-Law in my avatar, but then I'd have to ban myself for supporting terror!.

zOaib is offline VET
    I'd put a pic of my Mother-in-Law in my avatar, but then I'd have to ban myself for supporting terror!.
    DO U also say this infront of your wife ?????

thats okay you can ban yourself and make me the moderator of this forum.

BOUNCER...this is a depiction of neither a security force or an underground militia. this is a depiction of the average palestinian. granted, he doesnt usually cover his face as such, this the depiction. this is not a picture of a member islamic jihad or hamas, as they wear black uniforms with green headbands. when you see an israeli tank roll into a palestinian refugee camp this is the face of what you would see...the average citizen wishing to keep what is his, throwing stones at this tank. the face of true resistance. the resistance against military forces. these are the brave martyrs who die by the dozens. these are not suicide bombers that attack civilians and innocents. these are the brave and courageous who goto protect what is theirs even though im sure they know death is eminent. and since you were in lebanon, you should know that the keffiyah is a part of palestinian culture. the black and white one is usually worn by the palestinians seeking an independent state, while the red and white one, is typically a pro-syrian symbol. that is not to be confused with the same red and white headress prevalent throughout saudi arabia. anywho, im rambling. i was noticing your avatar, BOUNCER. how common was it for you to see others with the old style egal around their keffiyah? i just found it interesting that you had one on.

BOUNCER...this is a depiction of neither a security force or an underground militia. this is a depiction of the average palestinian. granted, he doesnt usually cover his face as such, this the depiction. this is not a picture of a member islamic jihad or hamas, as they wear black uniforms with green headbands. when you see an israeli tank roll into a palestinian refugee camp this is the face of what you would see...the average citizen wishing to keep what is his, throwing stones at this tank. the face of true resistance. the resistance against military forces. these are the brave martyrs who die by the dozens. these are not suicide bombers that attack civilians and innocents. these are the brave and courageous who goto protect what is theirs even though im sure they know death is eminent. and since you were in lebanon, you should know that the keffiyah is a part of palestinian culture. the black and white one is usually worn by the palestinians seeking an independent state, while the red and white one, is typically a pro-syrian symbol. that is not to be confused with the same red and white headress prevalent throughout saudi arabia. anywho, im rambling. i was noticing your avatar, BOUNCER. how common was it for you to see others with the old style egal around their keffiyah? i just found it interesting that you had one on.

So this is an average Palestinian fool who stupidly turned down offers to settle the conflict through talks and in a peaceful way and instead chose to fight the strongest army in the middle east and by that bring disaster onto himself and his loved ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Rak_Ani
    So this is an average Palestinian fool who stupidly turned down offers to settle the conflict through talks and in a peaceful way and instead chose to fight the strongest army in the middle east and by that bring disaster onto himself and his loved ones?
    What is that supposed to mean? Are you saying the average Palestinian is a fool?

Palestinians that sit back and take the abuse of the IDF are fools.

Quote Originally Posted by ZOAIB
    well this is my wife , and i think ill copy CAUSASIAN's idea .......... cool !
    Very pretty ZOAIB, its ok if you copy my avatar style, if BOUNCER does it, he will be banned by future moderator Physio Sport.

that is a rather harsh comment. this is the average Palestinian who had no choice in any of the matters. the Palestinian who has been neglected by the hands of the Palestinian Authority. the Palestinian who has seen his family members harassed and killed, and their property and land stolen. you can not blame the Palestinian people for their governments actions, just as i dont blame the jewish people for the Israeli governments actions. stereotyping the Palestinian population is a dangerous thing to do. and the disaster brought upon the average Palestinian was the massive land grab and forced expulsion from their lands in 1948.

that is a rather harsh comment. this is the average Palestinian who had no choice in any of the matters. the Palestinian who has been neglected by the hands of the Palestinian Authority. the Palestinian who has seen his family members harassed and killed, and their property and land stolen. you can not blame the Palestinian people for their governments actions, just as i dont blame the jewish people for the Israeli governments actions. stereotyping the Palestinian population is a dangerous thing to do. and the disaster brought upon the average Palestinian was the massive land grab and forced expulsion from their lands in 1948.
    Good post.

Quote Originally Posted by CAUSASIAN
    What is that supposed to mean? Are you saying the average Palestinian is a fool?

Palestinians that sit back and take the abuse of the IDF are fools.

If I said all cats have four legs, am I saying by that that all those with four legs are cats?

Palestinians that turn down peaceful proposals and chose to fight a war they have lost before it even began, are fools. Palestinians who put their dead before their living are fools.

I wasn't stereotyping anyone. To you the man in your avatar is the average "fighter". To me he's the average "fool". Not all Palestinians chose to go to the streets and find trouble. Some just want to live their lives in peace. If the Palestinians are suffering so much under the Israeli occupation why are they not doing anything about those who over and over again prevent any peaceful solution? Why don't they themselves go and get rid of those who shoot Kassams on Israelis, and blow up buses?
    In case you forgot, Israel is the only one in this conflict who is taking action to resolve this. Why aren't the Palestinians co-operating?

Palestinians that turn down peaceful proposals and chose to fight a war they have lost before it even began, are fools. Palestinians who put their dead before their living are fools.
    None of the peaceful proposals were good enough. The first proposal under Clinton in theory gave back about 90 to 95% of the land.

It divided the West Bank into 3 zones, in which Israel would be surrouding those three zones.

Seperating it with their military.

Arafat would have been a fool to accept it.

If I said all cats have four legs, am I saying by that that all those with four legs are cats?

to some Palestinians, the dead is all they have left, thanks to the Israeli government.

http://www.bcpr.org/maps/images/map3.jpg

This is the "peace plan" proposed" by Barak, which was a joke.

http://www.bcpr.org/maps/images/map3.jpg

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information