Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Results 1 to 32 of 32
  1. #1
    1badcamaro's Avatar
    1badcamaro is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    ridin dirty
    Posts
    2,720

    how many of you go to church

    Just curious as to how many of you go. I went today for the first time in over 7 years. I've had a lot of doubts about my faith in the whole god/heaven thing but i really wanna believe so that if it is true, i'll be going to heaven. I was kind of scared to go back but i actually enjoyed it and think i'm gonna go again next week.

  2. #2
    SportsMedVIP's Avatar
    SportsMedVIP is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    www.ironforlife.com
    Posts
    3,357
    Quote Originally Posted by 1badcamaro
    but i really wanna believe so that if it is true, i'll be going to heaven.
    What logic.

  3. #3
    1badcamaro's Avatar
    1badcamaro is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    ridin dirty
    Posts
    2,720
    if you believe in god and have faith and follow him, and the whole heaven and hell and god thing really is true, then i'll go to heaven because i did believe and have faith. Get it or do i suck at explaining it?

  4. #4
    SportsMedVIP's Avatar
    SportsMedVIP is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    www.ironforlife.com
    Posts
    3,357
    Quote Originally Posted by 1badcamaro
    if you believe in god and have faith and follow him, and the whole heaven and hell and god thing really is true, then i'll go to heaven because i did believe and have faith. Get it or do i suck at explaining it?
    I got it. It's just a weak reason to believe in christianity. I don't call it believing and having faith when you are just doing it to cover all your tracks. Why not throw down a prayer to Allah as well, maybe he's the one that's real. In that case your plan would backfire unless you throw him some love too. Does it really just come down to: is the christian god real or not, or do you even realize other religions have angles on this as well?

  5. #5
    Mighty Joe's Avatar
    Mighty Joe is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,191
    Everyone who believes in God will question their faith at some point in time! You are no different.
    Ecoast is right it sounds a bit like you are hedging your bet, but thats OK bro, its a start back in the right direction and thats a good thing.............

    MJ

  6. #6
    Mighty Joe's Avatar
    Mighty Joe is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,191
    Everyone who believes in God will question their faith at some point in time! You are no different.
    Ecoast is right it sounds a bit like you are hedging your bet, but thats OK bro, its a start back in the right direction and thats a good thing.............

    MJ

  7. #7
    1badcamaro's Avatar
    1badcamaro is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    ridin dirty
    Posts
    2,720
    EASTCOAST--mighty joe explained it a little better. Ever since my grandmother died i've just had a lot of questions about god and everything. I shouldnt have put it like i did. But i am going back to church to try to regain my faith, not just "cover my tracks" It is a small step but one that i feel is necessary. I truely wanna believe ya know, i mean it would be awesome to go to heaven and be with loved ones from b4. I just have a lot of questions, and i'm hoping church can answer them to help restore my faith.

  8. #8
    SportsMedVIP's Avatar
    SportsMedVIP is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    www.ironforlife.com
    Posts
    3,357
    Quote Originally Posted by 1badcamaro
    EASTCOAST--mighty joe explained it a little better. Ever since my grandmother died i've just had a lot of questions about god and everything. I shouldnt have put it like i did. But i am going back to church to try to regain my faith, not just "cover my tracks" It is a small step but one that i feel is necessary. I truely wanna believe ya know, i mean it would be awesome to go to heaven and be with loved ones from b4. I just have a lot of questions, and i'm hoping church can answer them to help restore my faith.
    More power to you then. Sorry if I sounded harsh. I've just heard more than one "christian" say that reason as a "why not join us" reason to people. I understand what you meant now.

  9. #9
    Cycleon is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Wherever necessary
    Posts
    8,159
    Quote Originally Posted by 1badcamaro
    EASTCOAST--mighty joe explained it a little better. Ever since my grandmother died i've just had a lot of questions about god and everything. I shouldnt have put it like i did. But i am going back to church to try to regain my faith, not just "cover my tracks" It is a small step but one that i feel is necessary. I truely wanna believe ya know, i mean it would be awesome to go to heaven and be with loved ones from b4. I just have a lot of questions, and i'm hoping church can answer them to help restore my faith.

    I encourage you to read the Bible yourself as well - you will be surprised if you will just pray a bit and ask God to speak to you through reading it - and just begin reading whatever seems good - see what happens - a good church is of course nice as well but God will speak to you directly if you want to listen

  10. #10
    1badcamaro's Avatar
    1badcamaro is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    ridin dirty
    Posts
    2,720
    i would like to read the bible and establish a relationship with god because i've heard so many ppl say that he has helped them through tough times and i'd like for him to do the same with me. Its just all new and kind of scary to me.....i mean because there are so many things that i dont understand, but i'm willing to learn and become a better person.

    eastcoast--no harm done man, i see where you were coming from as well and i'm sorry that i worded it so poorly.

  11. #11
    SportsMedVIP's Avatar
    SportsMedVIP is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    www.ironforlife.com
    Posts
    3,357
    Quote Originally Posted by CYCLEON
    I encourage you to read the Bible yourself as well - you will be surprised if you will just pray a bit and ask God to speak to you through reading it - and just begin reading whatever seems good - see what happens - a good church is of course nice as well but God will speak to you directly if you want to listen
    I think the belief itself is far more important than following a structured order set up by others with your belief. You can practice god's (or whoever's) will without having to go to Sunday school.

  12. #12
    Juggernaut's Avatar
    Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    6,545
    I do.....haven't always been there every Sunday but more often than not. I really like my church, very small and the people are nice........their not even big on how well everyone dresses.....you can show up in shorts, although I'd never do that, and no one would care. The important thing to them is that you came. I do read the bible alot.

  13. #13
    nickrizz's Avatar
    nickrizz is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    3,189
    i believe in God and am a roman catholic, but i dont go to church. I worship by praying throughout the day

  14. #14
    muff-chaser is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    356
    jugy snout, thats how my church is too.....

  15. #15
    Kim2884 is offline Female Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    322
    If you want to believe in God, then going to Church is a good idea. I grew up Roman Catholic but don't really believe anymore. I,too, would like to. I think I'd be much happier if I had the belief that there was a benevolent force guiding my life.. Anyway, the point is.. if you change your behavior, your beliefs will change to accomodate it. It's called the cognitive-dissonance theory... If you act in a way that doesn't correspond with your beliefs, your beliefs will eventually change.

  16. #16
    nickrizz's Avatar
    nickrizz is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    3,189
    i feel like there are so many people out there that dont want you to believe in god

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,896
    I don't go to church
    Don't believe in god or gods
    Don't believe in religion

    6 years of catholic grade school and 5 years in a private catholic HS with the catholic brothers has left NO DOUBT whatsoever in my mind that god and religion are nothing more than a fabrication by man to control their fellow man.

    If religion makes people feel good, then I'm happy for them, but don't want them to peddle their faith on me.

    Red

  18. #18
    Juggernaut's Avatar
    Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    6,545
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Ketchup
    Don't believe in god or gods
    Don't believe in religion

    6 years of catholic grade school and 5 years in a private catholic HS with the catholic brothers has left NO DOUBT whatsoever in my mind that god and religion are nothing more than a fabrication by man to control their fellow man.

    If religion makes you feel good, then I'm happy for you, just don't peddle your faith on me.

    Red
    Sorry Red but I'm saying a prayer for you right at this very moment..........let me know if it's a bus or truck that hits you that way I can thnk God correctly. hahahahahaha

    Honestly I hear what you're saying. I believe but that's me..........if someone wants to talk religion then I've no problem with it. But if they are dead set against it I won't say a word and I don't go around trying to conform people.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,896
    Hey don't worry about it...

    As I said if religion makes one feel good, then I am happy for them. I am not against it, but it's just not for me.

    As a boy scout leader I've been to more first-communions, confirmations and bar-mitzvas than anyone whould believe possible. My kids mom is a practicing catholic so he goes to church and sunday school with her (though he hates it, I literally have to force him). I encourage him to go as I want him to be able to make an informed decision about his faith just as I did.

    I think the best quote on religion is from George Carlin... "Religion is sort of like a lift in your shoes. If it makes you feel better, fine. Just don't ask me to wear your shoes."

    Red

  20. #20
    Mighty Joe's Avatar
    Mighty Joe is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,191
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Ketchup
    Hey don't worry about it...

    As I said if religion makes one feel good, then I am happy for them. I am not against it, but it's just not for me.

    As a boy scout leader I've been to more first-communions, confirmations and bar-mitzvas than anyone whould believe possible. My kids mom is a practicing catholic so he goes to church and sunday school with her (though he hates it, I literally have to force him). I encourage him to go as I want him to be able to make an informed decision about his faith just as I did.

    I think the best quote on religion is from George Carlin... "Religion is sort of like a lift in your shoes. If it makes you feel better, fine. Just don't ask me to wear your shoes."

    Red
    Red, The neat thing about growing up Catholic or of any Christian denomination is that someday if you need to, the Church just may be a place to help you re-group if need be. Kinda like breaking down a building only to find that the foundation was pretty strong afterall.
    Good Luck with raising your boy! But remember, kids will do as you do, not as you say!

    MJ

  21. #21
    Juggernaut's Avatar
    Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    6,545
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Ketchup
    Hey don't worry about it...

    As I said if religion makes one feel good, then I am happy for them. I am not against it, but it's just not for me.

    As a boy scout leader I've been to more first-communions, confirmations and bar-mitzvas than anyone whould believe possible. My kids mom is a practicing catholic so he goes to church and sunday school with her (though he hates it, I literally have to force him). I encourage him to go as I want him to be able to make an informed decision about his faith just as I did.

    I think the best quote on religion is from George Carlin... "Religion is sort of like a lift in your shoes. If it makes you feel better, fine. Just don't ask me to wear your shoes."

    Red
    What do you believe in Red? In all seriousness......just curious.

  22. #22
    biglouie250's Avatar
    biglouie250 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,401
    i dont go to church, i dont believe that religion should be yet one more beuracracy.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,896
    Quote Originally Posted by Juggy Snout
    What do you believe in Red? In all seriousness......just curious.
    I believe in myself and my family, I believe in my friends. I believe in the sun raising in the morning and setting in the evening. I believe in the earth beneath my feet, the water I drink and the air I breathe.

    I believe I am born and use the earth's resourses like all creatures to procreate and then die. I then return to "feed" the earth so that the cycle may begin again.

    I believe we evolved from single cell organisms zillions of years ago and in a zillion years we'll evolve into something nobody can imagine.

    I do not worship anything or anyone, but I am glad for what I have and who I know.

    I don't believe in any gods, religions or forms of worship. To me they simply make no sense at all and are incompatible with my view of the world. When someone talks to me about religion, I nod and smile (I learned long ago people believe what they like and there is no point in debating it), but in my head it makes about as much sense as someone telling me the earth is flat...

    That in short is what I believe in bro...

    Red

  24. #24
    SportsMedVIP's Avatar
    SportsMedVIP is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    www.ironforlife.com
    Posts
    3,357
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Ketchup
    I believe in myself and my family, I believe in my friends. I believe in the sun raising in the morning and setting in the evening. I believe in the earth beneath my feet, the water I drink and the air I breathe.

    I believe I am born and use the earth's resourses like all creatures to procreate and then die. I then return to "feed" the earth so that the cycle may begin again.

    I believe we evolved from single cell organisms zillions of years ago and in a zillion years we'll evolve into something nobody can imagine.

    I do not worship anything or anyone, but I am glad for what I have and who I know.

    I don't believe in any gods, religions or forms of worship. To me they simply make no sense at all and are incompatible with my view of the world. When someone talks to me about religion, I nod and smile (I learned long ago people believe what they like and there is no point in debating it), but in my head it makes about as much sense as someone telling me the earth is flat...

    That in short is what I believe in bro...

    Red
    A logical set of beliefs.

  25. #25
    Tock's Avatar
    Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Fort Worth
    Posts
    7,103
    Quote Originally Posted by nickrizz
    i feel like there are so many people out there that dont want you to believe in god

    There are a whole lot more folks who DO want you to not only beleive, but beleive the same way they do.

    If you want the best chance to hang with people trying to figure out what God is all about, check out the Unitarian Universalists.
    http://www.uua.org/
    Full of independant thinkers. Their church is unique in that it has no official set of doctrines you are required to support. You are expected to make inquiries on your own into the subject, learn from what other folks have discovered, and you are obligated to trust your own ability to figure out what's what.
    When it comes to $$$, the Unitarians are smart . . . once a year, the congregation has a business meeting, and they set up an official budget together, then everyone pledges to pay $xxx.xx a month to keep things going; rich folks pledge to pay more, poor folks pledge less. And that's it. No sermons about "tithing" or how "God loveths a cheerful giver" or "Give or God will send you to Hell."
    Ya, if I was gonna go to any church, that would be the one . . .
    --Tock

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    taking you down
    Posts
    545
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Ketchup
    I don't go to church
    Don't believe in god or gods
    Don't believe in religion

    6 years of catholic grade school and 5 years in a private catholic HS with the catholic brothers has left NO DOUBT whatsoever in my mind that god and religion are nothing more than a fabrication by man to control their fellow man.

    If religion makes people feel good, then I'm happy for them, but don't want them to peddle their faith on me.

    Red
    Im right there with red feeling the same ****ing way

  27. #27
    MMC78's Avatar
    MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,310
    Quote Originally Posted by Tock
    There are a whole lot more folks who DO want you to not only beleive, but beleive the same way they do.

    If you want the best chance to hang with people trying to figure out what God is all about, check out the Unitarian Universalists.
    http://www.uua.org/
    Full of independant thinkers. Their church is unique in that it has no official set of doctrines you are required to support.
    How progressive. Do they issue you black turtleneck and beret with your membership? You'll be all the rage at the parties because now you can say with conviction "I'm spiritual, not religious".

    Blah.

  28. #28
    Anhydro78's Avatar
    Anhydro78 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,439
    There is nothing wrong with not being perfect when begining Christianity. If he allready had full faith in god he would allready be a christian.

  29. #29
    Tock's Avatar
    Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Fort Worth
    Posts
    7,103
    Originally Posted by Tock
    There are a whole lot more folks who DO want you to not only beleive, but beleive the same way they do.

    If you want the best chance to hang with people trying to figure out what God is all about, check out the Unitarian Universalists.
    http://www.uua.org/
    Full of independant thinkers. Their church is unique in that it has no official set of doctrines you are required to support.


    Quote Originally Posted by MMC78
    How progressive. Do they issue you black turtleneck and beret with your membership? You'll be all the rage at the parties because now you can say with conviction "I'm spiritual, not religious".

    Blah.

    Ya, there are a few Unitarian congregations like that. Pretty much, though, no two groupsl are alike . . .
    The Unitarians in Highland Park (in the rich part of Dallas) drive Lincolns and Cadillacs and Rolls and are stuffy as an old pillow; the ones by UTA (Univ. Tx @ Arlington) look like the crowd you'd find at a club at 1:30 am. Suburban groups tend to be full of yuppies and rug rats.

    But what you won't find there, though, is judgemental close-minded hypocrites bent on reshaping your opinions on religion. They have nothing to sell, don't care if you beleive in one god or three or a thousand or none. It's a place for independant thinkers looking for ideas and a church home.

    It's fine if that's not your cup of tea, MMC78, but for folks who prefer to think about things before they decide to beleive, that's the denomination to check out.

    -Tock

    btw, I've never seen anyone with a beret at one. I've got one, though, but it's part of my old Air Force military police uniform.

  30. #30
    Pale Horse's Avatar
    Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    ACLU headquarters
    Posts
    6,425

    Wink You know it!

    I believe. And I believe I learn more everyday. I usually go 2 x a week but sometime just 1.

  31. #31
    JdFlex's Avatar
    JdFlex is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    1,158
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Ketchup
    I don't go to church
    Don't believe in god or gods
    Don't believe in religion

    6 years of catholic grade school and 5 years in a private catholic HS with the catholic brothers has left NO DOUBT whatsoever in my mind that god and religion are nothing more than a fabrication by man to control their fellow man.

    If religion makes people feel good, then I'm happy for them, but don't want them to peddle their faith on me.

    Red
    I'm with you.

  32. #32
    MMC78's Avatar
    MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,310
    Quote Originally Posted by Tock
    But what you won't find there, though, is judgemental close-minded hypocrites bent on reshaping your opinions on religion. They have nothing to sell, don't care if you beleive in one god or three or a thousand or none. It's a place for independant thinkers looking for ideas and a church home.
    Not to go too far OT, but those who proclaim to be the least judgemental--the least prejudicial are the closet aristocrats.

    Moral relavitism and non-judgementalism are every bit as much dogma as absolutism. See our way of thinking or be da-mned.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •