Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
    Militia is offline Banned

Rights group blasts 'racist' US media

A rights group has criticised some US media organisations for allowing racist and hate-filled speech during its coverage of Palestinian leader Yasir Arafat's death.

The American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee (ADC) said it was deeply concerned with "the alarming hostility expressed by media commentators towards the Palestinian people in the wake of the death of Palestinian leader Yasir Arafat", a statement said.

The ADC said US networks MSNBC and CNN both broadcast hostile commentary regarding Palestinians.

Don Imus, of the Imus in the Morning programme aired on weekends on MSNBC, referred to Arafat as a "rat" and called him "stinky" with "beady-eyes". Imus also said that "all Palestinians look like him".

The racist comments continued with one of his guests who described the Palestinians attending the funeral as "animals" and joked about their hygiene.

"They're dropping soap from the helicopters," the guest laughed.

Good riddance Arafat

Also on MSNBC, Joe Scarborough, presenter of Scarborough Country, began his programme by declaring: "Some are calling Yasir Arafat's passing a tragedy. He's actually the father of modern terrorism. Good riddance
    "This was, after all, the man who invented modern terrorism in the Middle East and by extension was the godfather of September 11."

Among the guests on the show was the Palestinian Authority representative to the United States, Hasan Abd al-Rahman, who while attempting to express his view, was interrupted by shouts of "where's the money?" by Scarborough in reference to international aid.

The ADC also said that CNN was guilty of one-sided, hostile comments.

Violations

"Plans call currently for Yasir Arafat to be buried in his compound in Ram Allah, which will eventually be turned into some kind of shrine. Maybe they'll put a sign out front for the Palestinian people, that reads: 'Here lays the body of the thief who robbed you blind'," said Jack Cafferty on CNN's morning programme, American Morning.

"Comments such as the ones listed can only be regarded as an overt incitement to ethnic hatred of the Palestinians," the ADC said in a statement.

"Surely the denigration of an ethnic group, a people who have been living under an ongoing 37-year Israeli military occupation, constitutes a violation of any system of journalistic standards.

"We should be seeking and working towards a just and lasting peace for the Israelis and the Palestinians instead of engaging in hateful rhetoric which dehumanises a people and affects perception of television viewers.

"We call on all members of the media to be objective in their reporting and commentary," the statement added.

why all this hate

UrbanLegend is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Militia
    The ADC said US networks MSNBC and CNN both broadcast hostile commentary
    "We should be seeking and working towards a just and lasting peace for the Israelis and the Palestinians instead of engaging in hateful rhetoric which dehumanises a people and affects perception of television viewers.
    "We call on all members of the media to be objective in their reporting and commentary," the statement added.

why all this hate

Hmmmm.......they want peace between Palestininans and Israelis. Yet they are offended by insults to Yasser Arafat. I guess people wanting peace between Germans and Jews get offended when people insult Hitler.
    (Please note that there is no confilct between Germans and Jews going on, its an analogy)

That being said, if they did call him those racist remarks, I would say that defnitly shows a lack of maturity on their part. Imus sounds like a retard, I wonder if they will can him like they did Savage.

But lets face it, they were being pretty objective when they said he invented modern terrorism. The fact that this group does not think thats objective reporting shows that they need to quit being so closed minded. One sided is the only real side you can look at here if you are wanting peace in the middle east. Hostile is condoning 14 year olds blowing themselves and others up, lets call a spade a spade, now shall we?

And please: Insulting Arafat by saying he robbed the Palestinian people is not RACIST, BIGGOTED, OR IN ANY WAY DEROGATORY. If someone thinks it is, then they are either stupid or brainwashed.
    Last edited by UrbanLegend; 11-19-2004 at 05:30 PM.

MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    Last time I checked Palestinians are Caucasians--the same race of Europe, N. Africa and the Middle East through India.

Funny how the word racism has been hijacked to mean anything derrogatory against an ethnic/political group. Maybe these people should be called ethnists?

Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    Ironic how Condi Rice can be called Brown Sugar and Aunt Jemima by right wingers and they don't scream about that. ( The rest of the right wingers)

Double standards..................

CAUSASIAN is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC78
    Last time I checked Palestinians are Caucasians--the same race of Europe, N. Africa and the Middle East through India.

Funny how the word racism has been hijacked to mean anything derrogatory against an ethnic/political group. Maybe these people should be called ethnists?
    The Palestianians are Semetic they arent Caucasians. The Middle East is also Semetic.

North Africa is Semetic/Hametic.

India/Pakistan is Indo-Aryan.

Iranians are Mutt Aryans.

MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CAUSASIAN
    The Palestianians are Semetic they arent Caucasians. The Middle East is also Semetic.

North Africa is Semetic/Hametic.

India/Pakistan is Indo-Aryan.

Iranians are Mutt Aryans.
    You sir need to take an anthropology course. Semitic/Aryan/Hametic are not races, they cannot be distinguished based on their morphological features: either soft tissue or bone structure. They are ethnicities and language groups, not races.

Quote Originally Posted by MMC78
    You sir need to take an anthropology course. Semitic/Aryan/Hametic are not races, they cannot be distinguished based on their morphological features: either soft tissue or bone structure. They are ethnicities and language groups, not races.
    Your right. Although if you keep taking it back, we all are one people.

http://www.angeltowns.com/members/ra.../subraces.html

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member

http://www.angeltowns.com/members/ra.../subraces.html
    Wow, that page has just convinced me that most human beings are ugly as hell. Thank god we started mixing a bit to cancel out some of those nighmarish features....

http://www.angeltowns.com/members/r...l/subraces.html
    nice link ,it seem i am Atlanto-Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by BigGreen
    Wow, that page has just convinced me that most human beings are ugly as hell. Thank god we started mixing a bit to cancel out some of those nighmarish features....
    It looks like they picked ugly people. Anyway, I dont like these classifications. The Med branch of the Caucasiod branch can mean people from Ireland to India, its to broad.

what religion have to do with race this a part from this site about the jews race :

http://web.archive.org/web/200308170...Papers/p44.htm

I don't know if we can consider "Don Imus" part of the proper media....

Quote Originally Posted by hooker
    I don't know if we can consider "Don Imus" part of the proper media....
    but his statements are realy strange and stupid .

In general, he is really stupid...he's not part of Mainstream Media, I'd say...

It's like saying "American Drivers Drive too Fast" and then talking about a NASCAR (*professional) Driver...thats not a good example of a Mainstream driver...Don Imus is not really Mainstream media in a similar way.

Thread Information