Related:
    Several US soldiers killed, wounded in Iraq
    Iraqi politician calls for elections delay
    Shia call raises Iraq election tension

Tools:
    Email Article
    Print Article
    Send Your Feedback

Hundreds of US and British troops have raided homes near Baghdad as part of an ongoing operation to quell Iraqi opposition to January elections.

Scottish soldiers from the Black Watch regiment and a force from the US 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) cordoned off several kilometres of the west bank of the Euphrates river on Wednesday, 50km south of Baghdad.

They said they were scouring villas and farms for anti-US fighters and hidden stocks of weapons.

US and Iraqi troops rounded up 15 suspected anti-US fighters during the operation, the military said in a statement, raising to 210 the number detained in the past eight days of raids.

It was the latest in a series of aggressive raids across the region since the launch a week ago of what American commanders have called Operation Plymouth Rock.

Children killed

In a separate incident, the army said an Iraqi fighter attempting to plant a roadside bomb along a highway through the area was killed when one of the two mortar rounds exploded prematurely.

Fierce clashes have erupted since
    the US-led offensive started

Following on from their assault last month on the city of Falluja, 60km upstream, the latest operations are part of an effort to stifle anti-US activity before a national election planned for the end of January.

Some Iraqi groups say the elections will be illegitimate because Iraq is still an occupied country. They argue the elections will exacerbate divisions between different Iraqi communities.

In other developments, three Iraqi children were killed and five others, all from the same family, were injured when a rocket-propelled grenade was fired at a house in al-Yarmuk neighbourhood in Baquba, west of Baghdad, medical sources told Aljazeera.

In Hibhib, northeast of Baquba, a senior leader of the Islamic Dawa party, Abd al-Amir Hasan, was killed when armed men opened fire on him.

Falluja clashes

And in Falluja, clashes erupted on Tuesday evening in several neighbourhoods between US forces and Iraqi fighters in the Julan neighbourhood.

"The forces locked the house's external gate and treated all the people inside, including the Red Crescent employees, very badly. There was an atmosphere of extreme rage among the citizens"

Abu Ayub al-Isawi, a witness to Falluja clashes

Abu Ayub al-Isawi, a witness to the fighting, told Aljazeera that US forces called on Falluja families through loudspeakers to head towards the Red Crescent centre in a house in al-Shurta neighbourhood.

"US forces then surrounded the Red Crescent centre after people had arrived there to receive aid supplies, preventing anyone from exiting it," he said.

"The forces locked the house's external gate and treated all the people inside, including the Red Crescent employees, very badly. There was an atmosphere of extreme rage among the citizens."

He added: "US forces later allowed only women, children and males, aged under 15 and above 55, to get out."

Bigen12 is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Your point is?

Badgerman is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigen12
    Your point is?
    You just made it

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerman
    You just made it
    Oh, you are agreeing with me, in that this piece of biased crap isn't worth our time, you are absolutely correct.

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exer...500C6AEFF0.htm

Here is a link to this article from

aljazeera, imagine that?

Badgerman is offline Banned
    If it's not from fox news it must be a lie, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerman
    If it's not from fox news it must be a lie, right?
    Not necessarily, but here are some inconsistencies in the article that help me form my opinion that this is just some more biased crap from aljazeera.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridla
    Hundreds of US and British troops have raided homes near Baghdad as part of an ongoing operation to quell Iraqi opposition to January elections.
    I can only assume, seeing as member status shows that you are an American traitor, you are opposed to elections?

Children killed

In other developments, three Iraqi children were killed and five others, all from the same family, were injured when a rocket-propelled grenade was fired at a house in al-Yarmuk neighbourhood in Baquba, west of Baghdad, medical sources told Aljazeera.
    Wonderful how they throw out that “Children killed”, then FOUR paragraphs later explain that the children were killed by a RPG, and don’t explain who killed them?
    Seems to me that the insurgents are the ones running around firing RPG’s.

In Hibhib, northeast of Baquba, a senior leader of the Islamic Dawa party, Abd al-Amir Hasan, was killed when armed men opened fire on him.

Another good reason to be cracking down.

Maybe the family and children were killed by this group?

Abu Ayub al-Isawi, a witness to the fighting, told Aljazeera that US forces called on Falluja families through loudspeakers to head towards the Red Crescent centre in a house in al-Shurta neighbourhood.

"US forces then surrounded the Red Crescent centre after people had arrived there to receive aid supplies, preventing anyone from exiting it," he said.
    Is aljazeera so irresponsible as to only interview one person from this incident?

Or did they interview many more and only chose to print the version that was most newsworthy?

Why didn’t they question the US military on this incident?

There could be a million reasons to keep the people there, was there fighting in the area? Was it unsafe for them to leave?

"The forces locked the house's external gate and treated all the people inside, including the Red Crescent employees, very badly. There was an atmosphere of extreme rage among the citizens."

He added: "US forces later allowed only women, children and males, aged under 15 and above 55, to get out."
    Treated them “very badly”, what does this mean? My boss treats me “very badly” also, maybe Aljazeera will write an article about my mistreatment?
    I won’t be holding my breath.

Does anyone here doubt that there is a chance that some of the insurgents and maybe some of the guys who killed the family, children and members of the Islamic Dawa party weren’t in that “house”?

The police here in the US use this same tactics, they get a list of people wanted on warrants, then call them and tell them they have won, like a TV, when the crooks come to pick up the TV they arrest them. Works here should work there.

Dimes is offline Senior Member
    When will this war end? It is so sad how a powerful country can go into another one and kill everyone for oil and nobody can do anything about it but watch, heard the count of civilians dead is over 20,000 already, 20 thousand human lives lost, what a shame.

RockSolid is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigen12
    Not necessarily, but here are some inconsistencies in the article that help me form my opinion that this is just some more biased crap from aljazeera.

I can only assume, seeing as member status shows that you are an American traitor, you are opposed to elections?
    you Zionists are so pig headed (no pun intented), reading this members posts he looks like her is from hindustan (india), and your calling him an america traitor? wtf

al jazerra is an america version of fox news.

riddla if you are from india, please dont think all americans are like this, people like biggen are zionists with loyalites to israel and not to the US.

Quote Originally Posted by RockSolid
    you Zionists are so pig headed (no pun intented), reading this members posts he looks like her is from hindustan (india), and your calling him an america traitor? wtf
    My mistake, I was referring to Badgerman, in that comment.
    My apologies Ridla

al jazerra is an america version of fox news.
    I can only assume that you think that Fox News is biased, and that you know that Aljazeera is biased, and that you are agreeing with me.

If not please debunk my statements, regarding the biased nature of this article.

riddla if you are from india, please dont think all americans are like this, people like biggen are zionists with loyalites to israel and not to the US.
    It appears that you are concerned with my loyalties, perhaps, it will help you to better understand my loyalties, if I explain them.

I am loyal first to my family, second to my friends, third my state, forth my country.
    I don’t believe that it can be said that I am loyal to Israel, rather that I support Israel.

As far as Israel, after viewing the trials and tribulations that the Israeli people have weathered, their constant attempts at peace, and the Arabs constant attempt to deny peace and destroy Israel, I have came to a personal conclusion.

In my opinion, the struggle that the Israeli people fight day in and day out, is a just one. I look at the fanatic positions of the Arab people in the region, their constant terrorist attacks, and their apparent lust for blood, for those reasons, I have chosen to support the Israeli people.

In my opinion, I also believe that it is sad, that a child can grow up in the United States, with, apparently the best of everything, and then grow up to support terrorists.
    Having children of my own, I understand the rebellious nature that most children have. However I don’t understand how it could twist to this extreme.

Thread Information