Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
    Badgerman is offline Banned
    A mile High

What do you all think of this story???

Marine sacrifices finger to save wedding ring

VICTORVILLE, California (AP) -- When Marine Lance Cpl. David Battle learned he'd either have to sacrifice his ring finger or the wedding band he wore, he told doctors at a field hospital in Iraq to cut off the finger.

The 19-year-old suffered a mangled left hand and serious wounds to his legs in a November 13 fire fight in Falluja. Battle, who is recovering at his parents' home in this desert city 130 kilometers (80 miles) northeast of Los Angeles, came under attack as he and fellow Marines entered a building. Eleven other Marines were wounded.

Doctors were preparing to cut off Battle's ring to save as much of his finger as they could.

"But that would mean destroying my wedding ring," he said. "My wife is the strongest woman I know. She's basically running two people's lives since I've been gone. I don't think I could ever repay her or show her how grateful ... how much I love my wife, my soul mate."

With his approval, doctors severed his finger, but somehow in the chaos that followed, they lost his ring.

Although Battle was disappointed, his wife, Devon, said she was honored.

"I can't believe he did that," she said. "At first I was mad when he told me, but then I realized how lucky I am to have him in my life."

The couple, who met in the eighth grade, were married in June, just two weeks before Battle left for Iraq. He hopes to eventually return to the Marines, and to replace his wedding ring, but that will have to wait until he recovers.

2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Find this article at:

I R Baboon is offline Associate Member
    Border State
    wow, he really loves his wife

Bigen12 is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Badgerman

With his approval, doctors severed his finger, but somehow in the chaos that followed, they lost his ring.
    I can't believe that they lost the ring......

Complete incompetence, makes me wonder if someone didn't steal it.

I think they should replace it.

PowerTheory is offline New Member
    small town
    stories like this make me realise not to take for granted being able to wipe my ass with my left hand in the morning

workdude is offline Senior Member
    Semper Fi...

Thread Information