Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jdawg50 is offline Anabolic Member

Thank god we have people like this serving in our military.

Marine Chooses Wedding Ring Over Finger
    December 12, 2004 7:42 PM EST
    VICTORVILLE, Calif. - When Marine Lance Cpl. David Battle learned he'd either have to sacrifice his ring finger or the wedding band he wore, he told doctors at a field hospital in Iraq to cut off the finger.

The 19-year-old former high school football star suffered a mangled left hand and serious wounds to his legs in a Nov. 13 fire fight in Fallujah. Battle, who is recovering at his parents' home in this desert city 80 miles northeast of Los Angeles, came under attack as he and fellow Marines entered a building. Eleven other Marines were wounded.

Doctors were preparing to cut off Battle's ring to save as much of his finger as they could.

"But that would mean destroying my wedding ring," he said. "My wife is the strongest woman I know. She's basically running two people's lives since I've been gone. I don't think I could ever repay her or show her how grateful ... how much I love my wife, my soul mate."

With his approval, doctors severed his finger, but somehow in the chaos that followed, they lost his ring.

Although Battle was disappointed, his wife, Devon, said she was honored.

"I can't believe he did that," she said. "At first I was mad when he told me, but then I realized how lucky I am to have him in my life."

The couple, who met in the eighth grade, were married in June, just two weeks before Battle left for Iraq. He hopes to eventually return to the Marines, and to replace his wedding ring, but that will have to wait until he recovers.

In the meanwhile, Battle's high school has planned a banquet in his honor next week.

"We need to make more David Battles," said Daniel Pierce, the school's assistant head coach. "He is one amazing guy."

sammycasper is offline Junior Member
    thats one of us for you, always family first!!!!

Dimes is offline Senior Member
    Thats romantic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimes
    Thats romantic.

I sure hope your not pulling an attitide on this post Dimes...

spkmania is offline Associate Member
    holy sh!t, that is unbelievable...that's awesome.

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdawg50
    I sure hope your not pulling an attitide on this post Dimes...
    I wouldnt put it past him.

Swellin Guest
    That is pretty darn stand up of the guy.

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    Geez.. that's wild....
    I don't think I'd be able to do that...
    Too bad they lost the ring...
    Last edited by Blown_SC; 12-12-2004 at 10:24 PM.

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    He should have saved the finger, his wife and the USMC would have thanked him for it.But his sentiments were well placed I guess.

workdude is offline Senior Member
    Semper Fi...

Gorgoroth_ is offline Associate Member
    Battle is his last name ? That is bad ass !

cjp85 is offline Member
    Doesnt the guy know that a ring can be fixed? I finger to put it on cant

RockSolid is offline Banned
    i might be being politically incorrect, but that was real stupid of him.

Bigen12 is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by RockSolid
    i might be being politically incorrect, but that was real stupid of him.
    Yep, he should have had them cut it off, and then put it in his pocket, at least he would still have it.

You dont think thats romantic abstract and jdawg? You both crazy then, i think it is.

Badgerman is offline Banned
    If we have all stupid people like that in our armed forces we're in real trouble......you shouldn't be wearing a ring in combat anyway.....rips your finger off when you get it caught on a piece of machinery.......any construction worker knows that little fact of life

I SAID ITS ROMANTIC AND YOU GUYS FLAME ME, A BUNCH OF PEOPLE SAY ITS TUPID AND YOU DONT SAY ANYTHING, you flaming the wrong person here.

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerman
    If we have all stupid people like that in our armed forces we're in real trouble......you shouldn't be wearing a ring in combat anyway.....rips your finger off when you get it caught on a piece of machinery.......any construction worker knows that little fact of life
    I'm afraid that we have "stupid people" like this all over

Your right Construction workers should know better, but we have plenty of these "stupid people" too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimes
    I SAID ITS ROMANTIC AND YOU GUYS FLAME ME, A BUNCH OF PEOPLE SAY ITS TUPID AND YOU DONT SAY ANYTHING, you flaming the wrong person here.
    I'm sorry, was I flaming you??? I dont think so dimes. That was not a flame. If you felt you were being flamed then I am sorry. I felt a little sarcasm in your voice, Oh, btw this is the first chance I have had to get to my computer today... relax.

Great thanks for your wonderful input badger, is there anything you would like to add to the discussion that is positive about our armed forces? or are they all stupid? Move to France Badger, they would love you there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigen12
    I'm afraid that we have "stupid people" like this all over

Your right Construction workers should know better, but we have plenty of these "stupid people" too.
    When you have been away from your wife for 8-12 months, and you could be killed at any minute during the day. I don't see a big problem with someone wearing a wedding ring into battle. If it gives the comfort while they are being shot at and their freinds are being killed, then so be it. Stupid? yea if your a constrution worker and you go to work from 9-5, then come home to kiss your wife. These guys don't get to do that though... I would be wearing my wedding ring to battle too, and I hardly think my fellow comrades in battle would think I'm stupid for doing it.

Great thanks for your wonderful input badger, is there anything you would like to add to the discussion that is positive about our armed forces? or are they all stupid? Move to France Badger, they would love you there.

Badgerman, I believe that you should be a little more careful with your generalizations,

One could generalize that, since terrorists talk bad about our country and Badgerman talks bad about our country, that Badgerman is a Terrorist.

Simply because this solder did something that I think wasn't that bright, doesn't mean that all solders aren't that bright.

NevrSayNevr is offline Associate Member
    Either way you look at it, that is EXTREME devotion.

When you have been away from your wife for 8-12 months, and you could be killed at any minute during the day. I don't see a big problem with someone wearing a wedding ring into battle. If it gives the comfort while they are being shot at and their freinds are being killed, then so be it. Stupid? yea if your a constrution worker and you go to work from 9-5, then come home to kiss your wife. These guys don't get to do that though... I would be wearing my wedding ring to battle too, and I hardly think my fellow comrades in battle would think I'm stupid for doing it.
    I wouldn’t wear a ring into battle for two reasons, first would be the dangers of it hanging up on something, and getting yourself killed, second would be the danger of it flashing and alerting your enemy and again getting yourself killed.

He was injured during a firefight, who knows, his enemy could have been targeting the flash of the ring?

I can sympathize with a person missing their loved ones, however I’ll wager that their loved ones had rather they keep themselves safe. He could easily have keep the ring in a pocket, or somewhere safe and then wear it when he wasn’t involved in combat.

I wouldn’t wear a ring into battle for two reasons, first would be the dangers of it hanging up on something, and getting yourself killed, second would be the danger of it flashing and alerting your enemy and again getting yourself killed.

He was injured during a firefight, who knows, his enemy could have been targeting the flash of the ring?

I can sympathize with a person missing their loved ones, however I’ll wager that their loved ones had rather they keep themselves safe. He could easily have keep the ring in a pocket, or somewhere safe and then wear it when he wasn’t involved in combat.
    Cool I see your point, and its a very good one, but I think you can see mine too? Maybe on his dogtags would have been a better place.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    I've not read all of this post but I have to say I'm pretty sure this guy is recently married right? A guy who's been married for 10-20 years would have said cut the ring off......or too just shoot them. I'd propably just ask them too shoot me. hahahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut
    I've not read all of this post but I have to say I'm pretty sure this guy is recently married right? A guy who's been married for 10-20 years would have said cut the ring off......or too just shoot them. I'd propably just ask them too shoot me. hahahahahaha

I gotta be honest.... I just laughed my ass off with this one bro! That was a good one!

JdFlex is offline Senior Member
    One could generalize that, since terrorists talk bad about our country and Badgerman talks bad about our country, that Badgerman is a Terrorist.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    I gotta be honest.... I just laughed my ass off with this one bro! That was a good one!
    Yeah....after many many years of marriage the only thing we "old married" dudes look forward too is sweet, sweet death. You know why men normally die before their wives? Cause they want too! hahahahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut
    Yeah....after many many years of marriage the only thing we "old married" dudes look forward too is sweet, sweet death. You know why men normally die before their wives? Cause they want too! hahahahahahaha
    Good stuff bro, but I'm sure you love your wife.

JdFlex is offline Senior Member
    After reading the first post, I knew you would be here with your negative comments about "our" army. I knew you couldn't resist the chance to talk negatively about "our" armed forces once again. Your title suits you well.

Cool I see your point, and its a very good one, but I think you can see mine too? Maybe on his dogtags would have been a better place.
    Agreed.

Agreed.
    God I love it, a civil debate where there are points and counter points conceeded! Thanks bro!

If my wife cut her finger off to save her ring......I'd divorce her for being so stupid.....
    you gonna cut your legs off to save some underwear you got for a gift??

If my wife cut her finger off to save her ring......I'd divorce her for being so stupid.....
    you gonna cut your legs off to save some underwear you got for a gift??
    Perfect analogy bro! Bravo... Did you think of that one all by yourself...
    I consider my wedding ring more than a gift btw.

Would you cut YOUR finger off instead of the ring??

Mine is titanium, so I would have too.

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    Bingo! That's an idea....

Ok guys.......now I'll be serious for once.
    The big problem with this story lies with the treating Physician. Considering that you are dealing with a severely wounded person (soldier or not) under stress and no doubt in a state of shock........there is NO WAY you should have allowed him to harm himself like that......his state of mind was NOT normal......even if it appeared as such at the time. NO DOCTOR in their right mind would cut a finger off to save a ring.......THAT"S MALPRACTICE........and totally in opposition to the oath of a physician.......do no harm.
    If the patient was insistent and belligerent......he should have been sedated and treated properly......
    He would have been thankful once his mental state went to normal.
    The way it is now the soldier AND the doctor acted like fools.

How come it says american traitor intead of senior memeber under your nick?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information