Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    RockSolid's Avatar
    RockSolid is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    New Jerzey, USA
    Posts
    570

    Birth of an Iraqi Hilter

    Unrest may spawn "Iraqi Hitler" - Iraq president



    DUBAI, Dec 13 (Reuters) - Long-term instability in Iraq could give birth to an "Iraqi Hitler" if citizens continue to feel humiliated and despondent, Iraqi President Ghazi Yawar said in remarks published on Monday.

    Daily bombings and kidnappings have plagued Iraq since last year's U.S.-led invasion toppled Saddam Hussein and the relentless Sunni-led insurgency has crippled reconstruction and development projects in the country.

    "This could in the long term create an environment in which an Iraqi Hitler could emerge like the one created by the defeat of Germany and the humiliation of Germans in World War I," Yawar told the London-based Asharq al-Awsat newspaper.

    Iraq's interim leaders have also come under fire for failing to reach out to some alienated factions and U.S.-led offensives on rebel-held cities have led to further divisions.


    Yawar -- a Sunni Muslim who was chosen for the largely symbolic post of president in June -- also urged Iraq's neighbours to break their "negative silence" about attacks in Iraq and play a positive role in helping stabilise the country.


    "When a fire breaks out in your neighbour's house you should act quickly to put it out, not only for the lake of your neighbour but also so that you are not forced to put it out in your own home when it spreads there," the president said.


    Earlier this month, Iraq and its neighbours made vague promises to improve security cooperation after a meeting in which Iraqi officials voiced growing frustration that neighbouring states were not doing enough to halt the flow of people, arms and funds linked to guerrilla violence in Iraq.


    Yawar, who has said that parliamentary elections should go ahead on time on Jan. 30, told BBC radio that he expected more violence in Iraq aimed at derailing the landmark polls.


    "Their tactical target is to undermine the electoral process and to stop us having our first elections. This is why we see it is a challenge we have to meet.


    "The problem is we are not fearing representation, we are fearing the time of the elections. If people can feel safe enough to go and cast their vote," he said, adding that Iraq was "exploring all ideas" to ensure an acceptable majority of people voted as well as balanced representation in the assembly.


    Most of the parties representing Iraq's Sunni Arabs, who make up about 20 percent of the country's 26 million population, recently called for the elections to be postponed for up to six months, saying a free and fair poll could not be held amidst the violence, most of which is affecting Sunni areas.


    Yawar said the security situation could not be solved unless Iraqi forces became completely efficient. He said some former army and police officers with clean records should be reinstated, adding that Washington had made a mistake when it dissolved the defence and interior ministries.

  2. #2
    Bigen12's Avatar
    Bigen12 is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    4,301
    What are you trying to debate?

  3. #3
    RockSolid's Avatar
    RockSolid is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    New Jerzey, USA
    Posts
    570
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigen12
    What are you trying to debate?
    what I am getting at, is after all is said and done, Iraq will be a much worse place than it was under Saddam Hussein.

  4. #4
    Bigen12's Avatar
    Bigen12 is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    4,301
    Quote Originally Posted by RockSolid
    what I am getting at, is after all is said and done, Iraq will be a much worse place than it was under Saddam Hussein.
    So you are basing your argument on, the climate in post WWI Germany spawned Hitler, and generalizing that the same thing will happen in Iraq?

    Because if your are, I believe that your reasoning is flawed.

    It is possible for a Hitler like figure to eventually take control of Iraq. However, if we compare other nations that suffered a major defeat, such as Japan, Italy, and even Germany after WWII, and the changes that took place in their government and societies after there defeat we see that an entirely different outcome is possible.

  5. #5
    Badgerman's Avatar
    Badgerman is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    A mile High
    Posts
    3,089
    Allawi has just as bad of a reputation as Saddam.......no big improvement there

  6. #6
    Badgerman's Avatar
    Badgerman is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    A mile High
    Posts
    3,089
    How about Rumsfeld for pres of Iraq???.......he's done enough business with them

  7. #7
    KAEW44's Avatar
    KAEW44 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,673
    Quote Originally Posted by Badgerman
    Allawi has just as bad of a reputation as Saddam.......no big improvement there
    EXACTLY!!! ALLAWI is as bad as saddam or worse!!! Were gonna put him in now, he will win elections because he's the only candidate the international community will deal with and accept so rigged elections are a must!

    And guess what!! give him 10years+ and we'l be back in there again removing the 'evil dictator' Allawi. He's going to switch from 'helping restore freedom' in 2004 to 'hating freedom' in 2014

  8. #8
    RockSolid's Avatar
    RockSolid is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    New Jerzey, USA
    Posts
    570
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigen12
    So you are basing your argument on, the climate in post WWI Germany spawned Hitler, and generalizing that the same thing will happen in Iraq?

    Because if your are, I believe that your reasoning is flawed.

    It is possible for a Hitler like figure to eventually take control of Iraq. However, if we compare other nations that suffered a major defeat, such as Japan, Italy, and even Germany after WWII, and the changes that took place in their government and societies after there defeat we see that an entirely different outcome is possible.
    I am not basing it on anything except the facts on the ground. We are about to see a terrorist nation for decades to come, where suicide bombings, and terrorist attacks will be a part of life.

  9. #9
    Bigen12's Avatar
    Bigen12 is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    4,301
    Quote Originally Posted by RockSolid
    I am not basing it on anything except the facts on the ground. We are about to see a terrorist nation for decades to come, where suicide bombings, and terrorist attacks will be a part of life.
    Do you believe that there will be "suicide bombings and terrorist attacks" even after an Iraqi elected government is in place?

  10. #10
    RockSolid's Avatar
    RockSolid is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    New Jerzey, USA
    Posts
    570
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigen12
    Do you believe that there will be "suicide bombings and terrorist attacks" even after an Iraqi elected government is in place?
    the mess in Iran when the Islamic revolution took place, will make this seem like childs play. If Sunnis are elected Shiites will get pissed, if Shiites get elected Sunnis get pissed, add the Kurds, Turkomen in the mix and we got a good combination.

    when they handed over authority to Allawi I remeber there was a big thing that said attacks will stop, when Saddam was captured they said violence would stop. the terrorists are attacking Iraqis.

    after the handover it will be Iraqi authorities (policticians, policeman, army), versus the terrorists. And the terrorists will win that war hands down.

    But who knows Iraq could become Utopia, only time will tell.

  11. #11
    Bigen12's Avatar
    Bigen12 is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    4,301
    Quote Originally Posted by RockSolid
    But who knows Iraq could become Utopia, only time will tell.
    I hope you are right here.

    Quote Originally Posted by RockSolid
    the mess in Iran when the Islamic revolution took place, will make this seem like childs play. If Sunnis are elected Shiites will get pissed, if Shiites get elected Sunnis get pissed, add the Kurds, Turkomen in the mix and we got a good combination.
    So you don’t believe that the different groups will be able to live in peace. You may be right.

    Quote Originally Posted by RockSolid
    when they handed over authority to Allawi I remeber there was a big thing that said attacks will stop, when Saddam was captured they said violence would stop. the terrorists are attacking Iraqis.
    Your right here, it didn’t happen.

    Quote Originally Posted by RockSolid
    after the handover it will be Iraqi authorities (policticians, policeman, army), versus the terrorists. And the terrorists will win that war hands down.
    I hope you are wrong here, but I fear that you may be right.

    What do you think should be done, to keep this from happening.

  12. #12
    RockSolid's Avatar
    RockSolid is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    New Jerzey, USA
    Posts
    570
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigen12
    What do you think should be done, to keep this from happening.
    Put in another leader as firm as Saddam Hussein. There was a good quote by a scholar I forget who, something like - was Saddam the way he was because of the Iraqi people, or were the Iraqi people the way they are because of Saddam.

  13. #13
    Bigen12's Avatar
    Bigen12 is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    4,301
    Quote Originally Posted by RockSolid
    Put in another leader as firm as Saddam Hussein. There was a good quote by a scholar I forget who, something like - was Saddam the way he was because of the Iraqi people, or were the Iraqi people the way they are because of Saddam.
    I think your right,

    Good Quote.

  14. #14
    RockSolid's Avatar
    RockSolid is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    New Jerzey, USA
    Posts
    570
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigen12
    I think your right,

    Good Quote.
    hold on, you got me off guard by agreeing with me, are you saying you support putting a leader like Saddam Hussein in power in Iraq now?

  15. #15
    Bigen12's Avatar
    Bigen12 is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    4,301
    Quote Originally Posted by RockSolid
    hold on, you got me off guard by agreeing with me, are you saying you support putting a leader like Saddam Hussein in power in Iraq now?

    A leader like Saddam in that, he is a strong leader and able to either bring the different people together, or rule strong enough to keep them at check.

  16. #16
    RockSolid's Avatar
    RockSolid is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    New Jerzey, USA
    Posts
    570
    if the elections are fair a representative from the Supreme Council for Islamic Revolution in Iraq, will win the elections. Unlike in Afghanistan where Karzai was the only candidate, the US wont have at as easy in Iraq, there is NO WAY Allawi, the US's choice will win the elections.

  17. #17
    RockSolid's Avatar
    RockSolid is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    New Jerzey, USA
    Posts
    570
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigen12
    A leader like Saddam in that, he is a strong leader and able to either bring the different people together, or rule strong enough to keep them at check.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •