Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
    UrbanLegend is offline Senior Member

San Fran could ban guns

They could potentially eliminate guns from the hands of citizens.

I'm sure this will be really effective when everyone can just buy their guns from somewhere outside the city. The same concept applies for countries, etc, you just make the scale bigger. You can always buy something that is in demand somewhere else, as there will always be supply.

And now we will have criminals breaking and entering with no fear.......the one detterant that could be used to keep criminals at bay that citizens had access to within their own homes is now gone.

Thats my take on it anyway...........

Here is also some food for thought: San Fran wants to violate the 2nd ammendment for everyone living in that city by banning guns.......but what if there was a city that was forcing its citizens to attend church once a week? I wonder if there is anyone here that sees where I am going with this.......the hypocracy blows my mind, among other things in this situation.
    .................................................. .................................................. ..................

San Francisco Supervisors Propose Gun Ban

SAN FRANCISCO - City residents will vote next year on a proposed weapons ban that would deny handguns to everyone except law enforcement officers, members of the military and security guards.

If passed next November, residents would have 90 days to give up firearms they keep in their homes or businesses. The proposal was immediately dismissed as illegal by a gun owners group.

The measure — submitted Tuesday to the Department of Elections by some city supervisors — would also prohibit the sale, manufacturing or distribution of handguns, and the transfer of gun licenses, according to Bill Barnes, an aide to Supervisor Chris Daly.

Firearms would be allowed only for police officers, security guards, members of the military, and anyone else "actually employed and engaged in protecting and preserving property or life within the scope of his or her employment," according to the measure.

Barnes said Wednesday the initiative is a response to the rising homicide rate and other social ills, noting: "We think there is a wide benefit to limiting the number of guns in the city."

Gun Owners of California, a Sacramento-based lobbying group, quickly called the ban illegal. Sam Paredes, the group's executive director, said state law bars local governments from usurping the state's authority to regulate firearms.

"The amazing thing is they are going to turn San Francisco into ground zero for every criminal who wants to profit at their chosen profession," Paredes said.

How many residents would be affected by the ban is unclear, since California does not require residents to register handguns that are kept in a private residence of business.

Washington, D.C., is the only major American city that currently bans handgun possession by private citizens. Andrew Arulanandam, director of public affairs for the National Rifle Association, said San Francisco would be remiss to use that city as a model.

"If gun control worked, Washington, D.C., would be the beacon. However, it's instead the murder capital of the United States," he said.

In San Francisco, five of the 11-member Board of Supervisors submitted the measure directly to the Department of Elections — one more than the minimum needed to get the measure on the ballot without signatures from registered voters.

The city's voters have frequently championed liberal causes. In the last election, a nonbinding ballot measure to condemn the war in Iraq (news - web sites) and immediately pull out U.S. troops immediately passed with ease.

If approved, the weapons ban would take effect in January 2006.
    Last edited by UrbanLegend; 12-22-2004 at 01:03 AM.

EastCoaster is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend
    Thats my take on it anyway...........

Here is also some food for thought: San Fran wants to violate the 2nd ammendment for everyone living in that city by banning guns.......but what if there was a city that was forcing its citizens to attend church once a week? I wonder if there is anyone here that sees where I am going with this.......the hypocracy blows my mind, among other things in this situation.
    I highly doubt this will happen... BUT if SF did pass it, the federal gov't would have the final say in what happens. A good example, the states of California and Las Vegas have both legalized Marajuana, but the federal gov't override their decision... thus marjuana is still illegal.

biglouie250 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EastCoaster
    I highly doubt this will happen... BUT if SF did pass it, the federal gov't would have the final say in what happens. A good example, the states of California and Las Vegas have both legalized Marajuana, but the federal gov't override their decision... thus marjuana is still illegal.

its illegal in the eyes of the fed govt. u can still get it perscribed however you can be arrested by federal agents, not local law enforcement

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member
    This will not go anywhere....I am not suprised that such a thing would be proposed in a city such as San Francisco...Far to many Scoocer moms and angry gays in that place to even have a rational thought collectively.

cjp85 is offline Member
    Great!! Now thugs will know just where to mug people. Now all they need to do is ban assault knives. Sarcasm off. These people are out of their minds in San Fran.

cjp85 is offline Member
    Here is a nice link generalizing gun control

http://www.opinioneditorials.com/fre..._20050111.html
    Last edited by cjp85; 01-12-2005 at 09:37 AM.

BWhitaker is offline Senior Member
    Did you know in california that sword canes (you know, the canes that have the handle pull out to become a sword) are illegal?

WTF...talk about some violations of rights

skiing is offline Associate Member
    I hope this doesnt happen it will be the beginning of bad news for the american people.
    I really dont think it would happen but you never know with a city like SF I grew up about 15 min from SF. Well brothers looks like we need to move to SF and make our vote count. How can they even fathom taking our rights as americans away. Sheit overload to much bs shutting down cant move.

This Country was created against the government controlling mens minds and our forefathers had the foresight to give us rights to make sure that this never happens. Such as the right to bear arms. God keep us safe. ski a great winter

Duck of Death is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skiing
    I hope this doesnt happen it will be the beginning of bad news for the american people.
    I really dont think it would happen but you never know with a city like SF I grew up about 15 min from SF. Well brothers looks like we need to move to SF and make our vote count. How can they even fathom taking our rights as americans away. Sheit overload to much bs shutting down cant move.

This Country was created against the government controlling mens minds and our forefathers had the foresight to give us rights to make sure that this never happens. Such as the right to bear arms. God keep us safe. ski a great winter

...Well said. Amen to that!

dont want to start an argument but what do my fellow patriots think of this. so

BUMP

bump

cjp85 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skiing
    dont want to start an argument but what do my fellow patriots think of this. so

BUMP
    I think it's funny that the ACLU will jump all over every amendment violation except the 2nd because they claim that it is a "collective" right, yet the US Department of Justice recently confirmed that it is an individual right for citizens to keep and bear arms. Heres the link
    http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm

Thread Information