Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 269
  1. #1
    EatRite's Avatar
    EatRite is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    usa... and proud
    Posts
    1,050

    For those of you who are Anti-God... consider........

    I posted this on another thread but i wanted to see what responses people would have to this... i'm not that religious myself, but to me... i can totally understand those who are, this is why....................


    if there is no god,everyone is insignificant... but so also are the ideas of good and bad... good and bad come from the fact that a deity holds one responsible for his or her actions... as good is an action that god wants you to do and bad or evil are actions that are opposite of those good actions... lets examine what good and evil are without a god........ they are nothing but words... the fact that i will be held accountable for my actions post-life causes me to act in a "good" way... if there is no god, what is keeping me from killing you, stealing your wallet or doing whatever i want to you or anyone else (assuming i can get away with it)??? there is nothing that holds me from doing these things... so why the hell would i do them??? it doesnt make sense to act accountably if there is nobody to be accountable to... for example... would you have done your homework in middleschool if the teacher didn't assign it? HELL NO... just like you wouldnt do something that will make you worse off (not stealing or taking money out of somebody's wallet) unless you are told not to by somebody who can actually know that you did it (the gov wouldnt know if you stole 20 bucks from a friends wallet)... so it doesnt make sense, if you are right, for any of us to do anything that is better for ourselves... if nobody sees it, it didnt happen.......

    secondly... this is an age in which one hold science and reason paramount... however, it is unreasonable to not believe in god... pascal's wager is as follows.............

    What are the outcomes in your choice to believe in God???
    1. If you belive in god and there isnt a god you are fine... nothing happens...
    2. If you don't believe in god and there isnt a god you are fine... nothing happens...
    3. If you believe in god and there is a god you go to heaven... something good happens...
    4. If you don't believe in god and there is a god you are in some S*** because you are going to hell...

    *** the only bad thing that happens to you is if you dont believe in god and there is a god... why would you chose to do that??? it is unreasonable and illogical... do do this you are acting irrationally... also, to believe in god you are chosing the choice with the only positive outcome... why wouldnt you do this??? just answer that question

    third... for those of you who say there is not a god... how arrogant are you to assume that you are the largest thing in the world or... your importance as that of everything elses in the world... if no god exists what disinguishes one particle from another??? the answer is nothing... how arrogant are you to assume that you know that in an infinite universe you can make an assumption that nothing exists outside of your finite reach and perspective??? how arrogant and ignorant do you have to be to tell me that no god exists out past where our eye can see through telescopes, or any other scientific meathod??? your problem is that you cant be intelligent and be an atheist, the two don't go hand in hand... for example... atheism involves knowing... or believing that there is no god... to do so you have to base all of your knowledge on science because that is all that is left for you unless you are a relativist in which case we shouldnt even be talking because relatively speaking we are both correct, and, you wouldnt argue with anybody's beliefs if you were anyway, because you would believe they were right as well...... and if all of your beliefs are based on a finite science, then it is impossible to tell anyone that no god exists in an infinite universe given finite scoping devices, because theoretically a god could exist outside of your reach... due to this you cant tell me that no god exits, so all you can be is agnostic...

  2. #2
    Kärnfysikern's Avatar
    Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Scotty, beam me up
    Posts
    14,223
    I dont se how a god is the only reason to be good and kind. Look at the buddhist way. No god's. no one is "forced" to be good in anyway.

    also why wouldnt it be possible for a afterlife to exists even if no god does exists? What makes you bold enough to make such a statement?

  3. #3
    carbs-rule is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    300
    Quote Originally Posted by EatRite
    if there is no god,everyone is insignificant... but so also are the ideas of good and bad... good and bad come from the fact that a deity holds one responsible for his or her actions...
    If God were proven to not exist tomorrow, and someone proposed that we behead every 4th newborn baby for some reason, would it not be bad or evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by EatRite
    secondly... this is an age in which one hold science and reason paramount... however, it is unreasonable to not believe in god... pascal's wager is as follows.............

    What are the outcomes in your choice to believe in God???
    1. If you belive in god and there isnt a god you are fine... nothing happens...
    2. If you don't believe in god and there isnt a god you are fine... nothing happens...
    3. If you believe in god and there is a god you go to heaven... something good happens...
    4. If you don't believe in god and there is a god you are in some S*** because you are going to hell...
    If God is all-knowing, wouldn't she be able to figure out that we are suddenly "believing" in him just to avoid hell? Also, what if you are worshipping the wrong God? I think she would be more pissed to find out that you were worshipping a false god than not worshipping at all.



    Quote Originally Posted by EatRite
    third... for those of you who say there is not a god... how arrogant are you to assume that you are the largest thing in the world or... your importance as that of everything elses in the world... if no god exists what disinguishes one particle from another??? the answer is nothing...
    I don't follow this at all. I reject all mysticism. To me, religion is something that would be deemed crazy if one person was spouting it, but because there are thousands of follwers it is now reveered.

  4. #4
    Odin is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    627
    Quote Originally Posted by EatRite
    I posted this on another thread but i wanted to see what responses people would have to this... i'm not that religious myself, but to me... i can totally understand those who are, this is why....................


    if there is no god,everyone is insignificant... but so also are the ideas of good and bad... good and bad come from the fact that a deity holds one responsible for his or her actions... as good is an action that god wants you to do and bad or evil are actions that are opposite of those good actions... lets examine what good and evil are without a god........ they are nothing but words... the fact that i will be held accountable for my actions post-life causes me to act in a "good" way... if there is no god, what is keeping me from killing you, stealing your wallet or doing whatever i want to you or anyone else (assuming i can get away with it)??? there is nothing that holds me from doing these things... so why the hell would i do them??? it doesnt make sense to act accountably if there is nobody to be accountable to... for example... would you have done your homework in middleschool if the teacher didn't assign it? HELL NO... just like you wouldnt do something that will make you worse off (not stealing or taking money out of somebody's wallet) unless you are told not to by somebody who can actually know that you did it (the gov wouldnt know if you stole 20 bucks from a friends wallet)... so it doesnt make sense, if you are right, for any of us to do anything that is better for ourselves... if nobody sees it, it didnt happen.......

    secondly... this is an age in which one hold science and reason paramount... however, it is unreasonable to not believe in god... pascal's wager is as follows.............

    What are the outcomes in your choice to believe in God???
    1. If you belive in god and there isnt a god you are fine... nothing happens...
    2. If you don't believe in god and there isnt a god you are fine... nothing happens...
    3. If you believe in god and there is a god you go to heaven... something good happens...
    4. If you don't believe in god and there is a god you are in some S*** because you are going to hell...

    *** the only bad thing that happens to you is if you dont believe in god and there is a god... why would you chose to do that??? it is unreasonable and illogical... do do this you are acting irrationally... also, to believe in god you are chosing the choice with the only positive outcome... why wouldnt you do this??? just answer that question

    third... for those of you who say there is not a god... how arrogant are you to assume that you are the largest thing in the world or... your importance as that of everything elses in the world... if no god exists what disinguishes one particle from another??? the answer is nothing... how arrogant are you to assume that you know that in an infinite universe you can make an assumption that nothing exists outside of your finite reach and perspective??? how arrogant and ignorant do you have to be to tell me that no god exists out past where our eye can see through telescopes, or any other scientific meathod??? your problem is that you cant be intelligent and be an atheist, the two don't go hand in hand... for example... atheism involves knowing... or believing that there is no god... to do so you have to base all of your knowledge on science because that is all that is left for you unless you are a relativist in which case we shouldnt even be talking because relatively speaking we are both correct, and, you wouldnt argue with anybody's beliefs if you were anyway, because you would believe they were right as well...... and if all of your beliefs are based on a finite science, then it is impossible to tell anyone that no god exists in an infinite universe given finite scoping devices, because theoretically a god could exist outside of your reach... due to this you cant tell me that no god exits, so all you can be is agnostic...

    Yeah but their many things your leaving out. What GOD must you believe in since their are 100's of religious, and most say the other religious are going to hell. Hey I agree their could be a God, however we know nothing of him, so we cannot say for sure what he wants. Maybe he want us to go through life caring as much as possible without praising any false God's?? It just does not make sense. The Earth has been here for billions of years and why would a god only make his presence around the time Jesus on Earth. Also if a person believes in God JUST for going to heaven and nothing else do you think he would be a sucker for somthing that stupid? Heck if humans can tell if their being used, i'm sure he would have not problem knowing so. I really wish their was a God and that everyone born got to meet him and KNOW exactly how to serve him. NO God would ever expect people to serve by his word without giving every human word of what he wants through some means. Hell the least he could do is make once presence at a meeting of world leaders, to decredit all false religons and make knowen the true one.

  5. #5
    max2extreme's Avatar
    max2extreme is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,982
    I think its a good post. This line jumped out most to me right.

    "would you have done your homework in middleschool if the teacher didn't assign it?"

    Thats a key sentence. Ill put other words in there in how I believe.'

    "would you do good if God didn't assign it?"


    As for you Odin, on what God must you believe in...First off you must believe there is A god...then you must actively pursue the true God, do your research, ask questions, and you'll become a christian. (smile) You say "we know nothing of him" That is what the bible is. why make his presence only around the time Jesus on Earth? He makes his presence all the time...but if you mean, in the body of man (as Jesus), why should he keep coming back as man? as for believing in God JUST for going to heaven. To me, its not just believing to get to heaven...yea, it may be at first why you seek God, but after that, to me its not just about going to heaven, its about praising our maker. Heaven is a reward for my praise and living life as He wanted. Though in the beginning, im sure I was the same way, I wanna go to heaven, im going to believe, but then as you mature in spirit, you start to change your views a little for the better. as for the rest of your post, if he made himself known, why would anyone NOT choose him? Thats the point. We have a choice. God or Lucifer. I believe if you actively look and dont just take the easy way out and pick the first religion you come to, but do more than the avg person and look at background, look at archaeological finds, look at what each "religions' book" teaches and such, you'll make the right choice. God wants noone to perish, and if you actively look, as the words of the knight in "indiana jones and the last crusade" you will "have chosen...wisely".

  6. #6
    Odin is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    627
    Quote Originally Posted by max2extreme
    I think its a good post. This line jumped out most to me right.

    "would you have done your homework in middleschool if the teacher didn't assign it?"

    Thats a key sentence. Ill put other words in there in how I believe.'

    "would you do good if God didn't assign it?"


    As for you Odin, on what God must you believe in...First off you must believe there is A god...then you must actively pursue the true God, do your research, ask questions, and you'll become a christian. (smile) You say "we know nothing of him" That is what the bible is. why make his presence only around the time Jesus on Earth? He makes his presence all the time...but if you mean, in the body of man (as Jesus), why should he keep coming back as man? as for believing in God JUST for going to heaven. To me, its not just believing to get to heaven...yea, it may be at first why you seek God, but after that, to me its not just about going to heaven, its about praising our maker. Heaven is a reward for my praise and living life as He wanted. Though in the beginning, im sure I was the same way, I wanna go to heaven, im going to believe, but then as you mature in spirit, you start to change your views a little for the better. as for the rest of your post, if he made himself known, why would anyone NOT choose him? Thats the point. We have a choice. God or Lucifer. I believe if you actively look and dont just take the easy way out and pick the first religion you come to, but do more than the avg person and look at background, look at archaeological finds, look at what each "religions' book" teaches and such, you'll make the right choice. God wants noone to perish, and if you actively look, as the words of the knight in "indiana jones and the last crusade" you will "have chosen...wisely".
    Why should he come back?? Well let's see....Cause once he was on film, everyone would be back in church and their would be one united church with all praising him. The only reason not to come back is if you want people to believe it'a a lie. I feel most go to church for the big pychological high they get while going their, like runners high. From my own expericence the avarge religous person i have met has a WAY bigger ego than other people. So on that note i believe some join for the sence of power. "My religion is the only right one and everyone else will burn in hell". AKA religion power trip. So your think your church will have memembers over in Iraq was we got the beat to convert them to your way's of thinking?

  7. #7
    max2extreme's Avatar
    max2extreme is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,982
    Quote Originally Posted by Odin
    Why should he come back?? Well let's see....Cause once he was on film, everyone would be back in church and their would be one united church with all praising him. The only reason not to come back is if you want people to believe it'a a lie. I feel most go to church for the big pychological high they get while going their, like runners high. From my own expericence the avarge religous person i have met has a WAY bigger ego than other people. So on that note i believe some join for the sence of power. "My religion is the only right one and everyone else will burn in hell". AKA religion power trip. So your think your church will have memembers over in Iraq was we got the beat to convert them to your way's of thinking?
    That is TRUE. And this will happen. The 2nd coming. The only reason not to come back is if you want people to believe its a lie?? Not the only reason. Another reason is because he wants as many believers as possible. He doesnt want any to perish. Thats why I believe he hasnt come yet. But he will. And not everyone will believe. THey'll still believe in their false religions even though the true God will be showing himself...and perhaps thats where your ego might come in. Perhaps those who do not believe are on an ego trip... I dont know. Im sure most churches will go to iraq if they arent already there.

  8. #8
    max2extreme's Avatar
    max2extreme is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,982
    Perhaps not the film part...hehe

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    2,393
    There's already a very long thread here about Pascal's Wager. In short, he states that it is better to believe in God than not to. And he's right. But that doesn't prove there is a God.

  10. #10
    zOaib's Avatar
    zOaib is offline VET
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Kingdom Of Heaven !
    Posts
    2,739
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    I dont se how a god is the only reason to be good and kind. Look at the buddhist way. No god's. no one is "forced" to be good in anyway.

    also why wouldnt it be possible for a afterlife to exists even if no god does exists? What makes you bold enough to make such a statement?
    pretty immature ! fact of life , for every creation there is a CREATOR ........... so who ever mad eu johan is smarter , more powerful and more influencial than u can ever bee , and if i were u i'd better do what he says , cause he is pullign all the strings and let u beleive u ahve life in your hands , all u giotta do is walk right or left and he shows ui the outcome !

  11. #11
    Kärnfysikern's Avatar
    Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Scotty, beam me up
    Posts
    14,223
    Quote Originally Posted by ZOAIB
    pretty immature ! fact of life , for every creation there is a CREATOR ........... so who ever mad eu johan is smarter , more powerful and more influencial than u can ever bee , and if i were u i'd better do what he says , cause he is pullign all the strings and let u beleive u ahve life in your hands , all u giotta do is walk right or left and he shows ui the outcome !
    So who created the creator(god)?? or is god just a handy exception from the creator/creation rule

    My mom and pop created me and they arent smarter nor more powerfull then me

    So in your oppinion free will is a ilusion? We are all just puppets to god?

  12. #12
    Kärnfysikern's Avatar
    Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Scotty, beam me up
    Posts
    14,223
    Quote Originally Posted by ZOAIB
    pretty immature ! fact of life , for every creation there is a CREATOR ........... so who ever mad eu johan is smarter , more powerful and more influencial than u can ever bee , and if i were u i'd better do what he says , cause he is pullign all the strings and let u beleive u ahve life in your hands , all u giotta do is walk right or left and he shows ui the outcome !
    also I fail to se what is imature about my post

  13. #13
    singern's Avatar
    singern is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Chicago/Israel
    Posts
    2,239
    Sorry guys but its a matter of faith, Every form of religion on the planet from the beginning of time has believed without a doubt that there own version was the correct one, and the all mighty would favor them above all others. This is true without exception.

    This also applies to those who choose not to believe in God, they have chosen this through there own form of faith. So as entertaining as these discussions may be, not one of you will sway any other in any way, ever.
    Last edited by singern; 01-29-2005 at 11:05 AM.

  14. #14
    zOaib's Avatar
    zOaib is offline VET
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Kingdom Of Heaven !
    Posts
    2,739
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    So who created the creator(god)?? or is god just a handy exception from the creator/creation rule

    My mom and pop created me and they arent smarter nor more powerfull then me

    So in your oppinion free will is a ilusion? We are all just puppets to god?
    free will is there but only to choose the path right or wrong , u have to make the choice there , as for once u start goign on a path u will only get how much GOD has decreed upon for u to get in life and nothing more , but then he also gave us a powerful too PRAYERS which can change your destiny if accepted ..................... God from a muslims point of view , we beleive he is mad eof light ( in arabic we say NOOR) NOOR is a pure form of pure energy , and since energy can neither be created nor destroyed , there is no creator to God !

  15. #15
    symatech's Avatar
    symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    not where I want to be
    Posts
    7,546
    yeah there is a very detailed thread about pascals wager. Besides, if god is all knowing I think he'd know a true believer from one who just wanted to belive in him 'just in case' and probably would favor the nonbeliever who at least lived by his own convictions instead of fear.

    but then again, I cant speak for god

  16. #16
    Pale Horse's Avatar
    Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    ACLU headquarters
    Posts
    6,425
    You are assuming we believe because we are afraid.............quite the contrary for me. AS far as who is right, the post was not about a specific belief system , just a basic belief in God.

    Some peole are too smart for there own Dam* good. That is arrogance.

  17. #17
    symatech's Avatar
    symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    not where I want to be
    Posts
    7,546
    Quote Originally Posted by 1victor
    You are assuming we believe because we are afraid.............quite the contrary for me. AS far as who is right, the post was not about a specific belief system , just a basic belief in God.

    Some peole are too smart for there own Dam* good. That is arrogance.
    wrong 100%, I am not assuming anything about believers.

    I am sure there are people who believe for their own reasons. But people who believe because of pascals wagers, are frauds. and I bet god would see right through them

    edit: what i mean is, I never assumed -have never will never- assume that the only people who belive in god -wheather organized religion or not- believe only because they are afraid. I belive in god (in a sense) I just dont see him/her/it in any organized religion. thats me. What Im saying is that people who use pascals wager to choose to believe, are fakes. and Im sure (but as i said i cannot speak for god) that god would rather have someone who didnt believe in him for the right reasons, as opposed to someone who did for the wrong. Otherwise god would not have given us free will
    Last edited by symatech; 01-29-2005 at 01:28 PM.

  18. #18
    Pale Horse's Avatar
    Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    ACLU headquarters
    Posts
    6,425
    That is a given. My main point was people thinking they can fully comprehend God.

  19. #19
    symatech's Avatar
    symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    not where I want to be
    Posts
    7,546
    Quote Originally Posted by 1victor
    That is a given. My main point was people thinking they can fully comprehend God.
    oh ok i gotcha. Yeah i dont think any human being could ever comprehend god fully.

  20. #20
    singern's Avatar
    singern is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Chicago/Israel
    Posts
    2,239
    I hope no one takes offense to my question, but if as you say no one can fully understand, and or comprehend the word of god.

    How then do you explain organized religions that claim to be following the word of God? How do we know anyone is actually doing Gods will, and how is it every religion defines Gods will in different ways, yet still claims to be doing the right thing.

    I say again this is a genuine curiosity, and not meant to offend anyone...

  21. #21
    Pale Horse's Avatar
    Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    ACLU headquarters
    Posts
    6,425
    God in his entirety cannot be comprehended. Peoples unanswered questions , they could not comprehend the answers.

  22. #22
    Kärnfysikern's Avatar
    Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Scotty, beam me up
    Posts
    14,223
    Quote Originally Posted by ZOAIB
    free will is there but only to choose the path right or wrong , u have to make the choice there , as for once u start goign on a path u will only get how much GOD has decreed upon for u to get in life and nothing more , but then he also gave us a powerful too PRAYERS which can change your destiny if accepted ..................... God from a muslims point of view , we beleive he is mad eof light ( in arabic we say NOOR) NOOR is a pure form of pure energy , and since energy can neither be created nor destroyed , there is no creator to God !

    So in a way the muslim oppinion can be enturpited as that god used a bit of his energy to create all the matter in the universe? Interesting..

    But Im more inclined to the buddhist ways

  23. #23
    singern's Avatar
    singern is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Chicago/Israel
    Posts
    2,239
    No takers to my question?

  24. #24
    Pale Horse's Avatar
    Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    ACLU headquarters
    Posts
    6,425
    I will take it. The principles of humanity that are most commonly shared are Gods will. You can look at various religions all over the world and there are shared common moral beliefs. The nuances are what make each unique to its' culture.
    EXAMPLE:
    I don't kill, not because someone said it is bad, but because inside of me there is a voice that says it is wrong. This represents Gods will IMO.

  25. #25
    scorp's Avatar
    scorp is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    MOD@GetSwole.com
    Posts
    74
    I believe that there is a God. I believe that everything happens for a reason, be it good or be it bad. I do not believe in coincidence. Every positive and negative event that we humans experience happen for a reason. I believe that God gives us all a choice in how we choose to live our lives. Whether or not God agrees with all of the choices that we make is another story. Every action has a reaction. Every decision that we make has a circumstance, be it good or be it bad. To me...God is all about relativity. We humans are just incapable of adhering to relativity at all times. Perfection we are not. If someone chooses to believe and practice religion, then more power to them. If someone does not wish to believe and practice religion, then more power to them, too. However, whatever path people choose to follow usually dictates their mindset, which in turn has a profound effect on their overall well-being, be it good or be it bad. Personally, I do not believe in a grey area. Something either is or it is not. I believe that there is a greater power that created all living life-forms and the planet that we live on, the universe for which our planet is apart of and everything else within our solar system and beyond it. Ponder this question. How was it possible for the planets, galaxies, solar systems and all life-forms that we are currently aware of to come about out of the great nothing? Was it a spectacular magic trick? Or...Was it a greater power?

  26. #26
    carbs-rule is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    300
    Quote Originally Posted by max2extreme
    I think its a good post. This line jumped out most to me right.

    "would you have done your homework in middleschool if the teacher didn't assign it?"

    Thats a key sentence. Ill put other words in there in how I believe.'

    "would you do good if God didn't assign it?"
    If the teacher didn't assign it, how is it homework?

  27. #27
    singern's Avatar
    singern is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Chicago/Israel
    Posts
    2,239
    Quote Originally Posted by 1victor
    I will take it. The principles of humanity that are most commonly shared are Gods will. You can look at various religions all over the world and there are shared common moral beliefs. The nuances are what make each unique to its' culture.
    EXAMPLE:
    I don't kill, not because someone said it is bad, but because inside of me there is a voice that says it is wrong. This represents Gods will IMO.
    I accept that as part of human social morality.
    However religions of all flavors have detailed scriptures, commands, and instructions, all said to be the word of God. Yet every religion interprets them in there own way.
    Having said that isn't it vain for one particular religion to believe it is the one true religion, which by default means all others are then false...(wow that was deep maybe it should be its own thread.)
    Last edited by singern; 01-29-2005 at 02:55 PM.

  28. #28
    scorp's Avatar
    scorp is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    MOD@GetSwole.com
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by singern
    I hope no one takes offense to my question, but if as you say no one can fully understand, and or comprehend the word of god.

    How then do you explain organized religions that claim to be following the word of God? How do we know anyone is actually doing Gods will, and how is it every religion defines Gods will in different ways, yet still claims to be doing the right thing.

    I say again this is a genuine curiosity, and not meant to offend anyone...
    No offense taken bro. I think interpretation is the key.

  29. #29
    singern's Avatar
    singern is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Chicago/Israel
    Posts
    2,239
    Quote Originally Posted by scorp
    No offense taken bro. I think interpretation is the key.

    Agreed, but if so then how do we know we are truely following the word of God?

  30. #30
    Billy_Bathgate's Avatar
    Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Antarctica
    Posts
    4,463
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    I dont se how a god is the only reason to be good and kind. Look at the buddhist way. No god's. no one is "forced" to be good in anyway.

    also why wouldnt it be possible for a afterlife to exists even if no god does exists? What makes you bold enough to make such a statement?

    I would say that. Buddhist believe in devas. One in particular, Ishvara, the creator god. This person historically and theologically speaking, is the one that Judism became to call Yahweh

    From a Buddhist text

    "I am Brahmâ, the Great Brahmâ, the Supreme One, the Mighty, the All-seeing, the Ruler, the Lord of all, the Maker, the Creator, the Chief of all appointing to each his place, the Ancient of days, the Father of all that is and will be." (Dîgha Nikáya, II, 263).


    While typically, Brahman is a Hinduist belief, some Buddhist see "him" as a deva, although on a lesser level than Budha.

    It is very different than modern religions thouhg.

  31. #31
    Kärnfysikern's Avatar
    Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Scotty, beam me up
    Posts
    14,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy_Bathgate
    I would say that. Buddhist believe in devas. One in particular, Ishvara, the creator god. This person historically and theologically speaking, is the one that Judism became to call Yahweh

    From a Buddhist text

    "I am Brahmâ, the Great Brahmâ, the Supreme One, the Mighty, the All-seeing, the Ruler, the Lord of all, the Maker, the Creator, the Chief of all appointing to each his place, the Ancient of days, the Father of all that is and will be." (Dîgha Nikáya, II, 263).


    While typically, Brahman is a Hinduist belief, some Buddhist see "him" as a deva, although on a lesser level than Budha.

    It is very different than modern religions thouhg.
    Maby tibetan buddhism is different(only buddhism I know anything about) from what I understand they have no god in that version of buddhism. Might be wrong though.'

    What does the word deva mean? Is it realy a god or just a enlightened man?

  32. #32
    EatRite's Avatar
    EatRite is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    usa... and proud
    Posts
    1,050
    .sorry i havent responded earlier, i havent had the opportunity, i hadda get some sleep and workout this morning... anyway...


    ODIN: as for which religion to follow, the bible says... in laymens terms that all the clues are out there and that we have to search for god and examine the facts and then come to our conclusion... for me, i think the facts are out there... i think that no human, no matter how intelligent can't disprove god's existance... but its very logical for a god to exist... for example... the probability of us evolving without the hand or assistance of god is so small that it isnt possible... and you say... how is it not possible??? well a good analogy is this: the liklihood of us evolving BY CHANCE is actually WORSE than the chances of all the pieces to a b52 bomber being in a field and having a tornado coming though and assembling the peices into a B52 bomber.... you may say, how are the chances that slim??? well if you know anything about the production of dna and the synthesis of cells you would know this... having all of the peices attached as they are is absolutely amazing! if you just study the human eye and learn how our body converts light into pictures that our minds can visualize and quickly return the chemical that caused the neuro. signals sent to the brain back to what it began at so that it can process light again and give us consecutive pictures to that we can see streams of pictures which we interpret as vision... its absolutely amazing that we are the way we are... i dont understand how one can look at nature and see all of the things in detail and then assume that nothing created us... it blows my mind... or the fact that birds have a way to know which direction is south so that they can fly there for the winter... they have a compass built into their dam* heads which is magnetized just like a normal compass... these things are amazing... the more knowledge you have the more you realize how unintelligent you actually are and how magnificent the world really is... study these things and then religion and then make your choice... to blindly make a decision about which god to worship is stuipid... and what is even dumber is to make a blind decision on whether a god exists or not... learn these things and then decide...

    i stated that i am not that religious myself... i'm in the process of learning... i've studied christianity probably just as much as anybody around, and i have many muslim friends... i try to learn as much as i can, and from what i've gathered, most religions have similar principals... treat others as you want to be treated, at "good," respect god, and worship him (worshiping god consists of worshiping something better than yourself, the creator of the universe)... in my oppinion i dont think god much cares which exact form of him you study and worship... catholocism and protistantism are very similar, they differ in only one little thing which they base their ideas on, but if you truely believe god exists and live by faith, what is the difference in the two? nothing... if you are a muslim and worship god, do all the things he wants you to, why do you assume that god wouldnt be accepting??? he knows we are stupid and so much lesser than him, how is anybody to know which form to worship??? well study them and see which makes sense... i'm not saying that all religions are created equally...i'm just saying if you belive in god with all ur heart and worship him as well as act in a "good" way... yea you probably will go to heaven, but i dont know i'm still learning.... and you may say... well... what is defined as good? most religions preach, don't steal, cheat, use god's name in vain, kill, etc... the principals are similar...

    HOOKER: pascal's wager doesn't prove god exists... you are right, it doesnt, but doesnt it make sense to at least study up on religions and learn what they preach, try to see where it takes you??? you can't tell me that a god doesnt exist because you simply don't know, so arent you curious about wheather he does or not??? don't you care that you could possibly be thrown into a lake of fire??? i'm not preaching to you or saying you will be, but personally i'm a little curious about this myself and i wanna avoid that at all costs, however, it may not even happen, we simply dont know... but just because we don't know doesnt excuse us from trying to find out and doesnt excuse us from acting poorly for however long we live...

    VICTOR1... why do you not walk around queens with a sack of money wide open so people can see it??? because of fear... fear is not a bad thing, it is instilled in us to protect us... the bible says that we should fear god, and we should... if fear of satan or being eternally ****ed doesnt phase you than you need to examine how bad that could be if it were true... we should fear god's power as well because if he exists, we are so small compared to him...

    CARBS RULE: you said that u don't understand what i meant by us being equal to everything in the universe........ what i mean is that if we are just a collection of atoms... randomly assembled from the result of the big bang, what distinguishes you from a tree, a cat,dog a planet... nothing... if no god exists, then nothing is better or worse than you are, because the only thing truely bigger than us in religion is god and his principals... without something that is better than we are, you are saying that you are equally great to anything in the universe because there is nothing that isnt what you are... just a random collection of atoms...

    CARBS RULE: the only reason we have good and bad is because of god... without god there is no reason to act "good" or act "bad" because nothing matters... why does it mattter if one collection of randomly assembled atoms ends the life of another collection of assmbled atoms... in fact, what is life??? it is nothing at all... all it is is a group of atoms that is arranged in such a way that it can do other things and move around, once that assembly is broken those atoms still exist, they are just waiting to be broken down from the assembly and assembled into something else... thats all we are is just a random collection of these particles... why does it matter what we do??? it doesnt... the only reason we are to act good is because it will benefit us later...................

  33. #33
    scorp's Avatar
    scorp is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    MOD@GetSwole.com
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by singern
    Agreed, but if so then how do we know we are truely following the word of God?

    Faith is the critical component. It is up to the believer to decide what is right for them.

  34. #34
    Pale Horse's Avatar
    Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    ACLU headquarters
    Posts
    6,425
    God doesn't want us to fear Him he wants us to love Him. Free will remember.

  35. #35
    EatRite's Avatar
    EatRite is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    usa... and proud
    Posts
    1,050
    the bible says that we should "fear god"... you are assuming that you can't fear and love something... you can... when i was 14 i was scared ****less of my dad, but i loved him at the same time... it is the same thing with god... christians believe he is their "father" you should fear the power of your father and still love him... i'll bet you fear the powers that be in america, but you love the fact that our gov. protects us so much... ya know??? well i'm not going to assume what you do or dont like about the u.s. gov but i think u get my point....

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,896
    I'm just going to comment on the title of this thread...

    "For those of you who are Anti-God... consider........"

    Why do you assume that a non-believer would be "anti-god"? To be anti-god one would actually have to care or be concerned with religion or the existance of a god...

    Now personally I don't believe in god, religion or any mysticism. There is NO doubt in my mind whatsoever that religion and god is nothing more than a fabrication by man, for whatever reason.

    Whereas a person who believes in a god may spend some time reflecting on it's existance, motives or whatever, a person like me doesn't spend ANY time on the subject (except when folks try and shove their god down my throat) as I just don't care. To me it's a fact that there is no god(s) just as it's a fact that the sky is blue...

    You'll notice I said "to me" and "to a person like me"... nowhere did I attempt to shove my convictions down anyones throat, and thats mostly because like all true atheists I simply don't care what others believe in and don't spend any time on it. Please don't assume that people who don't share your beliefs are anti-god...

    Red

  37. #37
    singern's Avatar
    singern is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Chicago/Israel
    Posts
    2,239
    Quote Originally Posted by scorp
    Faith is the critical component. It is up to the believer to decide what is right for them.
    Isn't faith in a way a manifestation of personal opinion? and if so does anyone truely know or follow the will of God?

  38. #38
    EatRite's Avatar
    EatRite is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    usa... and proud
    Posts
    1,050
    Red C: first off, i'm not religious... secondly... you cant be sure that there is no god... just because you don't think about it doesnt mean that it doesnt exist... for example... i dont think about the production of t-shirts in indonesia at all, but that doesnt mean that it doesnt happen... to assume that just because it isnt important to you it doesnt exist is probably one of the dumbest things i've ever heard... and you arent "factual" that no god exists... it cant be proven... so to say that this is true is to contradict our societal scientific ideologies, where science is held paramount... if you don't believe in science what do you believe in??? o wait, you BELEIVE that their is no god, that is your belief...what i'm argueing is that you can't factually know that god doesnt exist because you have a finite perspective of the universe, in other words, u dont know what is outside of oursight... to say that you do is ignorant and doesnt make sense... tell me that ur agnostic, but don't tell me u are an atheist because if you knew anything about religion you wouldnt do that... and thirdly... i'm not pushing anything on you this is a board where people talk about things, you don't have to read my posts or respond... you chose to do that just like you are chosing to believe no god exists... i respect your belief, but personally from what you just said on this board, i think it is an uneducated one....

  39. #39
    Kärnfysikern's Avatar
    Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Scotty, beam me up
    Posts
    14,223
    your claim of there beeing a god is just as uneducated as red's claim there is no god. Neither side has any evidence.

    The most educated thing to say seems to be that no one can be sure

  40. #40
    EatRite's Avatar
    EatRite is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    usa... and proud
    Posts
    1,050
    ohhh and i don't assume you are anti-god... i didnt assume anything about you... but in your own words "to me a god/s dont exist"... therefore you have a believe that no god exists... this means that you would argue that no god exists... you are against the thought that god exists... you have anti-god (in other words... you believe god doesnt exist) ideologies... i'm sorry if you took offense to that, what i mean by anti god is that you do not believe in his existance....


    ...."You'll notice I said "to me" and "to a person like me"... nowhere did I attempt to shove my convictions down anyones throat"........
    if you are are a relativist then please say so because i will stop wasting my time talking to you....

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •