Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
    Bigen12 is offline AR-Hall of Famer

2,000 Demonstrate at Iraqi Bombing Site

Are the Iraqi people taking note of the success that the Lebanese people are having with peaceful protests?

I believe so.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/iraq

Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    Quote your source, who's your source? Oh............

Bigen12 is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by 1victor
    Quote your source, who's your source? Oh............

Bite me old man....

Cycleon is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    what is goes to show you is that yes, chillun - democracy CAN take root in the ME - and the Iraq war and elections are having a ripple effect accross the entire region

CAUSASIAN is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CYCLEON
    what is goes to show you is that yes, chillun - democracy CAN take root in the ME - and the Iraq war and elections are having a ripple effect accross the entire region
    Sure it can, it was a popular protest that brought the Islamic Republic of Iran into place, displacing the Shah.

Look at the current Iraqi leadership. Any muslim - extremist or not, would pick Al-Jaafari over Saddam.

The Islamic Salvation Front and extremist group (Front Islamique du Salut – FIS) was banned in Algeria in March 1992 after Algeria’s military intervened and cancelled the 1991-1992 elections which the FIS was poised to win.

If there were free elections in most Middle Eastern countries, what you call in the West "extremist Islamic groups" would win.

In Chechnya when we had elections, a Wahhabi extremist group won, and the elections were cancelled, because the older generation who are more liberal and yield more power didnt want Wahhabist controlling the government.

So be careful what you wish you, it will come back and bite you.

Cycleon is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    only people who havent had one want a wahhabi gov - Iran cant wait to get rid of theirs - but often in the past the radicals have taken advantage of the elections because often during the dictatorship the mosques were the only places that anyone could organize - in todays society where media is getting out - even biased rags like al jazeera - people know that there is something better - America didnt get its freedom easily but I am always glad to see that people are able to obtain theirs.

It takes a long time tho - look at Putin - made a statement that Russia didnt complain when Bush fired those journalists (meaning Rather) - they have been "free" of communism for awhile but Putin doesnt even realize that the US gov has minimal influence on journalists

Thread Information