Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
    Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer

Wink Creationism vs evolution summed up in a pic

Cycleon is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    these are the same people that were telling us that there were 70 elements in the periodic chart not all that long ago - what are facts? most science has a hypothesis and then tries to prove it - ergo, there is no difference between them and the creationists

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLEON
    these are the same people that were telling us that there were 70 elements in the periodic chart not all that long ago - what are facts? most science has a hypothesis and then tries to prove it - ergo, there is no difference between them and the creationists

scienctist are still proven right alot more often then religion is

scienticst have gone through many theories, some have been abandoned, many are accepted as laws. We can se the progress of science all around us, in our buildings, our computers, the way we travel.

Religion on the other hand still has the same attitude they always had, but yet no proof. Constantly twisting every scientific finding to prove gods existance and if it doesnt work they work against science.

Creationism isnt based on anything other then belife in a creator. Evolution has been shaped by what we have observed.

So yes the difference betwen evolutionists and creationists are huge imo. If we dont dull it down so much as to say both have a hypothesis they are trying to prove. Its a good point but its just a smal smal part of the picture.

So long as the universe had a beginning, we could suppose it had a creator. But if the universe is really completely self-contained, having no boundary or edge, it would have neither beginning nor end: it would simply be. What place then, for a creator?

-Stephen W. Hawking (A Brief History of Time)

What I have done is to show that it is possible for the way the universe began to be determined by the laws of science. In that case, it would not be necessary to appeal to God to decide on how the universe began. This doesn't prove that there is no God, only that God is not necessary."

-Stephen W. Hawking (Der Spiegel, 1989)

Quote Originally Posted by johan
    scienctist are still proven right alot more often then religion is

umm......NO \ every scientific theory that we have today was at one time thought WRONG and every day we find out what we thought was true yesterday was NOT - so how is science more accurate than religion?

And if you think about it - science has made VASTLY MORE changes than religion - even pagan religions much less judaism, Christianity, Islam, buddism, etc - but all have some common threads including belief in spirits, afterlife, etc - none of which could be gathered from this world that we observe - yet it was only 100 years ago that we figured out that Doctors should wash their hands - and the bible had that back in Moses's time

umm......NO \ every scientific theory that we have today was at one time thought WRONG and every day we find out what we thought was true yesterday was NOT - so how is science more accurate than religion?

And if you think about it - science has made VASTLY MORE changes than religion - even pagan religions much less judaism, Christianity, Islam, buddism, etc - but all have some common threads including belief in spirits, afterlife, etc - none of which could be gathered from this world that we observe - yet it was only 100 years ago that we figured out that Doctors should wash their hands - and the bible had that back in Moses's time
    I say science is more correct then religion because christiany for example has been here for well over 2000 years but still no one has proven god exist.

But science have theory of gravity, electromagnetism, quantum mechaniscs ect.
    The fact that science changes and religion does not just proves the point that religion is stiff and stubborn while science is flexible and willing to adapt. If something is proven wrong scienticst dont ponder about it they throw themself towars new things. If something in a religion is proven wrong religious people ignore it and continue like they never heard about it.

Every part of science can be scrutinized(sp?)and doubted, but as a whole it evolvs until its right. Thats the beauty of it.

Until I se someone walking on water, splitting oceans or any other paranormal thing then I will doubt the bibel but trust science. many the bibel is accurate in lots of ways. But the few outrageous claims it makes drags down the belivability(I dont remember the correct word for that lol)of the whole thing imo

yes but as you have noticed that nearly everything you would have believed about science 200 years ago would have been dead wrong - and lets face it...your god of science (of yourself really because thats what it boils down to because you want to control your own destiny) has only been around for less than 140 years

and science proves nothing either - it may confrom to the hypothesis but we cannot be sure that there are not other factors at work - for example quantum physics

In science, this is known as a paradigm shift. There are sets of theories which are replaced with more credible theories. For example, Newtonian physics can not be applied to something moving at the speed of light; enter Einsteinien Physics. Newtonian physics still works, but we can't use it for certain applications.

Now...lets talk about the Catholic Church's opinion that the Earth was at the Center of the Universe...and the excommunication of Galellio...until a few decades ago when the Catholic Church revoked his excommunication. How nice of them. So ...he's not in Hell anymore? Sweet deal.
    How about their insistence that Descartes was totally wrong? Then their admission that Cartesian Co-ordinates were a necessary part of mathmatics. I guess he was an ok dude too, in the end...

The problem is that Science is willing to have paradigm shifts as often as a new theory explains reality more fully than an old one (note: not more correctly, necessarily). Religion...well...lets just say that in general...has been slightly more resistant to change...

Yes, I will agree that it was convenient that the Catholic organization didnt bother to read the bible (and forbade anyone else from reading it either) or they would have read that the earth was round

**** how the f*cuk did you 2 learn to express yourself in such good ways

Moderator School.

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Well, Science (using the scientific method) has cured lots of medical diseases. Religion hasn't even cured acne.
    "Accurate" is not the word I'd use in that phrase ("Science is more accurate than religion") as much as I'd use the word "useful" ("Science is more useful than religion") or maybe "reliable."
    Lots of wars have been fought over religion, lots of people have been murdered, bludgened, tortured, etc over differences in religion, but nary a single scientist has lost his life over differences of opinion on scientific matters.

-Tock

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    There's no comparison, science is an ever evolving body of work concerning the natural universe and religions are simply well preseved collections of heresay. IMO, no religion has even a remotely credible theory of anything, let alone creationism. Hell, in due time Christanity's theories will be looked at much like we look at (and laugh at) the creationist theories of Native Americans. Unless of course you do believe the world did in fact come from the Raven.

Thread Information