Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lozgod is offline Anabolic Member

Bush and the Republican Congress have impressed the **** out of me today!

I am anti-Bush as the next Yankee, but check this out. No one can disagree that this was a great and kind decision on his/their part.

Congress OKs deal to keep Schiavo on tube

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Congress leaders announced agreement Saturday on legislation they said would allow a severely brain-damaged woman to resume being fed while a federal court decides the right-to-die battle between her parents and her husband.

"We think we have found a solution" to the Terri Schiavo case, House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, R-Texas, said at a Capitol Hills news conference. "All sides agree that this is the best way to proceed."

Final approval was expected Sunday when the House planned to meet in a special session, he said. The Senate planned to pass a resolution Saturday evening that would let House Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill., call the House into session on Sunday.

DeLay said President Bush would sign the bill as soon as it got to him.

Advertisement

The compromise was similar to a Senate bill passed Thursday that would let a federal court has jurisdiction in the Schiavo case. House Republicans had favored broader legislation that applied similar cases that questioned the legality of withholding food or medical treatment from people who are incapacitated.

Schiavo's feeding tube was disconnected Friday afternoon. Schiavo, 41, could linger for one to two weeks if no one intercedes and gets the tube reinserted.

Rep. James Sensenbrenner, chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, said the legislation would move the case to federal court where a judge would determine who has the legal right to decide the question of nutrition and hydration for Schiavo and whether they can be terminated.

Sensenbrenner, R-Wis., said the measure was "narrowly targeted," does not set a precedent and would allow Schiavo to resume being fed and hydrated during the legal appeals.

For a decade, a feud has raged between Schiavo's husband, Michael, and her parents, Bob and Mary Schindler, who have tried to oust Michael Schiavo as their daughter's guardian and keep in place the tube that has kept her alive for more than 15 years.

Michael Schiavo says his wife told him she would not want to be kept alive artificially. Her parents dispute that, saying she could get better and that their daughter has laughed, cried, smiled and responded to their voices.

President Bush's spokesman said Friday that the president supported the congressional efforts. "We appreciate those who are standing on the side of protecting and defending life," Scott McClellan said.

Also Friday, Republicans used their subpoena power to demand that Schiavo be brought before a congressional hearing, with lawmakers saying that removing the tube amounted to "barbarism."

The Florida judge presiding over the case rejected the request from House lawyers to delay the tube's removal. Late Friday, the U.S. Supreme Court, without comment, denied an emergency request from the House committee that issued the subpoenas to reinsert Schiavo's feeding tube while the committee filed appeals in the lower courts to have its subpoenas recognized.

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy.

BUBBA74 is offline Senior Member
    This crap makes me so mad! Why would they let her starve to death! They say it could take up to two weeks for her to finally pass away. That is some cruel shti. If they are going to remove the feeding tube why dont they give her an injection or something to help it along??? (From another thread I started)

Man I hope they can keep that feeding tube in. Or if not find a better way for her to go.

Badgerman is offline Banned
    I wouldn't treat my dog as bad as that...lifelong feeding tube....inhumane punishment.....let the woman die.

And then we have our government and courts wasting their time on silly matters such as this. If the husband had any balls he would shoot her and take his chances.

Chemical King is offline Anabolic Member
    If they are prepared to let her starve to death then surely it brings up the debate of euthernasia

We put dogs , cats , and horses down for humane reasons.......but keep people alive to make them suffer......NOW THAT really makes sense.....

Swellin Guest
    Wow Loz! You agreed with them? The end is nigh!

Cycleon is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    nah - the really cowardly thing to do is let her starve - reality is they know it would bring up the fact that they were indeed "killing" her - then it would be exposed for what it is, euthanasia - and the court cant rule on that

Aboot is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CYCLEON
    nah - the really cowardly thing to do is let her starve - reality is they know it would bring up the fact that they were indeed "killing" her - then it would be exposed for what it is, euthanasia - and the court cant rule on that
    Technically euthanasia is "actively" doing something. In this case, by not feeding her you are simply omitting to do something. Under the law there is a difference.

The cowardly thing is to play God and fear death.....like you do Cycleon......that's what is killing society

I wouldn't force feed my dog to keep him alive.....playing God like Cycleon.......somehow soothing your conscience by exercising some kind of perverse act of "kindness"......when in fact the kindest thing you could do is let people go to their maker........

But people like Cycleon have perverted the nature of the creator.......thinking that somehow Cycleon is needed to "save " people.......better keep that feeding tube in so she has a chance to be "healed" or "saved".......and better fill out that voting card for her too

Cycleon........how bout you buy a ticket for Benny Hinn to go heal the poor woman??

Badger,\

Your back!!!!! Cool lemme read the thread so I can I fight with you man.

Mondo

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    wtf they need to let that woman die already. they are trying to make this poor womans life a political victory. bunch of azzholes.

she has been in a coma for years. her husband keeps telling them that she said she wouldnt want to live like that.

I know if I was braindead, let me die. no use in living if your not alive. and she's dead, only a matter of time.

Somehow I think even Badger is not that stupid - LOL - - - I am going to have to look for the true culprit! and its a short list of possibles

Quote Originally Posted by Aboot
    Technically euthanasia is "actively" doing something. In this case, by not feeding her you are simply omitting to do something. Under the law there is a difference.
    that was the point - I guess I skipped that point - they are doing passive whcih is a cruel death, instead of active because that would be euthanasia - and would be clearly illegal

Quote Originally Posted by symatech
    wtf they need to let that woman die already. they are trying to make this poor womans life a political victory. bunch of azzholes.

she has been in a coma for years. her husband keeps telling them that she said she wouldnt want to live like that.

I know if I was braindead, let me die. no use in living if your not alive. and she's dead, only a matter of time.
    Agreed!

nah - the really cowardly thing to do is let her starve -
    Exactly, if you kill 13 children and 100 senior citizens you will die more humanely.

Swellin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Badgerman
    Cycleon........how bout you buy a ticket for Benny Hinn to go heal the poor woman??
    Okay Bdtrgerman....you might better watch out or you could find yourself wearing diapers instead of panites like last time.

houseofpain is offline Banned
    this is a sad case all the way around. i look at it like this:
    i would not want to lay in a bed and be worthless for 15 years, please let me die. starving her to death is really inhumane but hey what are you gonna do. if they could put her to sleep that would probably be EXACTLY what she wants, i know i would. oh and badgerman, you sir are a strange duck.
    ~HOP

Quote Originally Posted by MrMondodondo
    Agreed!
    Agreed

Sorry guys, but that Benny Hinn remark was brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMondodondo
    Badger,\

Your back!!!!! Cool lemme read the thread so I can I fight with you man.

Mondo
    Yessir......my friend.......back to a REAL connection.......hey I'll pm that workout.....maybe tonite.....if not then tomorrow.

Hey Mondo.......you want to donate to the "transport Benny Hinn to the brain dead fund" ?? Cycleon promised $100......
    then we can make this whole thing a non-issue.......Benny walks in.......voila.......then there won't be seven days of starving humanity....OHHHHHH WHHHOOOPSSS........forgot about Africa.......****.....they're not even brain dead......and they're starving anyway......WTF??

One quick joke........

What is the similarity between Yoko Ono.....Julian Lennon......and an Ethiopian??

They all live off a dead beatle.

Thats all it's really about.... religious zealots trying to make political gains by telling others how to live their lives...

This poor woman's dead... let her body pass away with some dignity...

Red

Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    Badger you are going down a very dark path........................

Quote Originally Posted by 1victor
    Badger you are going down a very dark path........................

ME????.......Vic.......look at the gradual decline of your avatar.......

(Badger extends hand to grab Vic from the depths below)

Ahh -so I was wrong about that and it was not that rascally BDTR! instead our traitor has grown enough balls to pee at the establishment but badgerman, since you think I am a capricious god, killing off or saving whom I will....I wouldnt want to dissapoint

and since you dont have a REAL internet connection for a few days - then it will be a mercy killing to ban you lets say for 3 days until then - then ye shall be allowed to rise from the dead - Halleluja!

``````````````````````````````

and for the rest - actually, you havent figured out from my post - I havent stated a position other than its somewhat hypocritical to actually put her through a more "inhumane death" to do something that is "more humane" - I havent really made my mind on the issue really - first, is she really brain dead? I have heard a lot of conflicting evidence on that - second, her husband, after having a live in and kids with another woman (which is perfectly understandable), I question if he should really be reguarded as her legal guardian since he has obviously vacated his marriage and thus his "rights" - as to the rest its a hard call

Swellin Guest
    Okay, so I was wrong. Nobody caught my spelling of his name above...I thought it was a good one.

Sorry B, I thought we were just seeing your creative side again.

And badgerman, maybe Benny Hinn can blow on you and raise you from being brain dead too!!!

Swellin Guest
    And maybe Benny Hinn can blow on you and raise you from being brain dead too!!!
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! The new avatar is the tits!!!!!!!!!!

50%Natural is offline Respected Member
    The parents are the one being selfish in this matter. Keeping a woman alive who has no perception of any reality they are use to. How could you watch your child live like that for 10+ years? They can't let go so they make everyone involved suffer including their daughter. This really is a sad to see because her parents have to get their 15 minutes of fame off a daughter in a vegitative state. Let her go....

well, beyond all the issues of the woman herself and her family husband etc

How is it that the will of the elected representatives of the people, with a vast majority as well as the signature of the President can be thwarted by a local judge? I was under the impression that this was the government of the people, for the people, etc

CAUSASIAN is offline Banned
    She was alive for 15 years like that?

Everyone of you should put yourself in her shoes, not the parents, not the husband.

Would you want to live your life like that?

Quote Originally Posted by CAUSASIAN
    She was alive for 15 years like that?

Everyone of you should put yourself in her shoes, not the parents, not the husband.

Would you want to live your life like that?

I would certainly not - but the real question here is since she cant tell us what she wants - who has the right to make decisions for her? her husband has long since vacated the marriage but he (and a few of his friends) is the only one saying that she said this is what she would have wanted - tho noone has the details of that conversation - so that is not exactly a reliable witness, especially for a life and death event - while her parents want to take care of her - so first of all it is a battle of custody to some degree - then it is an issue at what point are people "worthy of" or "longing for" death - I mean, if your grandfather is in pain due to prostate cancer do you just decide that it would be better for him if he were put out of his misery? its not a simple question

tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lozgod
    I am anti-Bush as the next Yankee, but check this out. No one can disagree that this was a great and kind decision on his/their part.

I passed out after reading this part....what does the rest of the thread say?

Lozgod...you are going to make a GREAT Republican!!

peace,

ttgb

CastorTroy is offline Junior Member
    Congress is f'd up, they rush to get this bill passed but can't do sh** about the rising gas prices and Martha Stewart is required to wear an ankle monitoring bracelet yet they don't track those scumbag child molesters like the F**K down in Florida.

Phillyboy1 is offline Anabolic Member
    this whole thing is f-cked up, they need to let that **** woman die. someone needs to smack the sh-t out of her parents, what kinds of parents are they to let there daughter be in that type of state for so long, what a bunch of selfish f-ckers

Aboot is offline Banned
    How is it that the will of the elected representatives of the people, with a vast majority as well as the signature of the President can be thwarted by a local judge? I was under the impression that this was the government of the people, for the people, etc

I'm not making a judgement call here and am not sure if this applies (as I am not following the legal arguements) but if it was found that a law violates the constitution, then the judge would be in his right to rule that the law is as such and go from there. Of course, I'm not sure what the procedure is in the US for this, but that is a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Aboot
    I'm not making a judgement call here and am not sure if this applies (as I am not following the legal arguements) but if it was found that a law violates the constitution, then the judge would be in his right to rule that the law is as such and go from there. Of course, I'm not sure what the procedure is in the US for this, but that is a possibility.

Actually, I jumped too quickly - all congress voted on was for a federal judge (clinton apointee) to rule as to whether she has had due process basically

PaRiS2005 is offline Female Member

GOod point, bro.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information