Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
    D-END is offline Anabolic Member

What it's like to be in Iraq.

BUBBA74 is offline Senior Member
    **** that is some scary shti. Are those motars or artillery shells?

Heres another one I posted a little while back.

http://www.ogrish.com/archives/us_ve...r_18_2005.html

***xxx*** is offline Anabolic Member
    well it s scary, but they r professionals and chose this life...

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Been there, done that. Actually arty fire like that isn't too frightening, I've sat out like that taking photos and talking shi*t. But I laways maintained that smallarms fire was worse, because someone had you sited and was trying to you YOU!. Its like it was more personal. From experience those sound and look like 120mm.

Quote Originally Posted by BOUNCER
    Been there, done that. Actually arty fire like that isn't too frightening, I've sat out like that taking photos and talking shi*t. But I laways maintained that smallarms fire was worse, because someone had you sited and was trying to you YOU!. Its like it was more personal. From experience those sound and look like 120mm.
    Yeah kinda looks like standing in a rain storm to me. Your either going to get hit by lightning or your not. But I still dont know how I would react in that type of situation.

Yeh Bouncer could be 120mm I'm more inclined to go with the 81mm though, just the whine of the round that makes me think it is, although the impact does look a lil bigger...
    I've just returned from iraq after a 12month deployment (well 9months after injury) and can tell you, that you actually get used to mortars, we had bets on how many rounds it would take them before one fell into our compound.
    The hardcore action is FIBUA like fallujah in november, i was part of a forward recon group and boy did the iraqis try and light us up... FIBUA is that much scarier too becos you're told in training that conventional fibua has a casualty rate of around 43%

CAUSASIAN is offline Banned
    If you are based in Balad, expect alot of Mortars shot at you.

Whoa!!! Causasian it sounds like your helping set the tubes up as we speak.

Quote Originally Posted by BUBBA74
    Whoa!!! Causasian it sounds like your helping set the tubes up as we speak.
    No, but Balad has one of the highest rates of mortar attacks. Ask any US soldier that is based there.

There are about 70 mortars shot at their base a day.

Quote Originally Posted by CAUSASIAN
    No, but Balad has one of the highest rates of mortar attacks. Ask any US soldier that is based there.

There are about 70 mortars shot at their base a day.
    D*mn thats crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by CoRnErBaCk_BlItZ
    Yeh Bouncer could be 120mm I'm more inclined to go with the 81mm though, just the whine of the round that makes me think it is, although the impact does look a lil bigger...
    I've just returned from iraq after a 12month deployment (well 9months after injury) and can tell you, that you actually get used to mortars, we had bets on how many rounds it would take them before one fell into our compound.
    The hardcore action is FIBUA like fallujah in november, i was part of a forward recon group and boy did the iraqis try and light us up... FIBUA is that much scarier too becos you're told in training that conventional fibua has a casualty rate of around 43%

I had considered 81mm also. I wouldn't consider the sound of the rounds on camera. But the ground looks hard and rocky, on that ground I'd have expected 120mm to have a bigger explosion. Plus 81mm is alot more portable than 120mm for an insurgent army, your probably right.

For the guys;

FIBUA (Fighting In Built Up Area's)

DIBUA (Defence I Built Up Area's)

Apart from maybe the Israeli's I believe the British soldier is probably the finest in the world and again behind the Israeli's is best trained in FIBUA & DIBUA.

I had considered 81mm also. I wouldn't consider the sound of the rounds on camera. But the ground looks hard and rocky, on that ground I'd have expected 120mm to have a bigger explosion. Plus 81mm is alot more portable than 120mm for an insurgent army, your probably right.

For the guys;

FIBUA (Fighting In Built Up Area's)

DIBUA (Defence In Built Up Area's)

Apart from maybe the Israeli's I believe the British soldier is probably the finest in the world and again behind the Israeli's is best trained in FIBUA & DIBUA.
    Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Haha thanks for bigging up the British army, unfortunately im a royal marine not a crap hat (just kidding).
    Yeh your right bouncer the IDF have FIBUA + DIBUA + OBUAsorted, thats what you get with experience i guess, luckily our experience kinda half finished a few years ago..
    For the guys... mortar fire is a bit too indirect to cause any major problems, id say that about 7-9% of terrorist mortar fire is effective due to the time frame they have to get set up (plus they have very little training)... plus they don't have structured spotter information being relayed...
    There is a video knocking around the internet regarding the unit i am in, clearing a house shot on video by a US Marine on a house top.. It went like clockwork and will show you how quick and how much damage you can inflict in 20-30seconds (2 storey buildng) i'll try and find it for you..

luckily our experience kinda half finished a few years ago..

Well hopefully our respective governments don't start it off again. The feeling here is that the IRA are on a war footing again.

D*mn thats crazy.
    Its not that bad, they have the American music band Adema, coming to perform there this week.

Quote Originally Posted by CAUSASIAN
    Its not that bad, they have the American music band Adema, coming to perform there this week.
    I guess the band can leave there pyrotechnics at home then.

I know what you mean bouncer, if you back something into a corner with no way out, its goona retaliate.. IRA brass is coming under alot of flak recently, and my mates are telling me theres unrest in the ranks...

So which military unit di you serve with bouncer? (if you can say)

mikeCbrooke is offline Junior Member

Been here over a year

I work in Baghdad, after a while you get imune to all the motor fire, and small arms...........unless you feel the ground shake, then you know its close!

But i agrre with the post, that small arms is worse, cuz if you hear it.....your useually in range

I know what you mean bouncer, if you back something into a corner with no way out, its goona retaliate.. IRA brass is coming under alot of flak recently, and my mates are telling me theres unrest in the ranks...

So which military unit di you serve with bouncer? (if you can say)

Yes the feeling here is that their being backed into a corner, the next few months should be interesting. We'll know if the cease fire is over by a spectacular on the British mainland.

I'm still serving in the Irish army so I can't say too much here regarding my service unfortunetly. But another 18 months and I retire with a 21 yr pension!. I haven't had the pleasure of serving with your guys yet, I was hoping to go to Kosovo or Bosnia this year but a few things cropped up which prevented me. But my guys who have served with the B.A. have nothing but good things to say about you guys. We also do alot of exchanges with the B.A. too. Alot of my mate's have completed your battle Sgt's course, Recce course's etc.. Makes a change from when I went in first, we still considered you guys 'the enemy'.
    We'd a Dublin lad killed in the first few months of the war there, shot by an Iraqi sniper. When was afford full British military honours at his funeral here in Dublin. That wouldn't have happened only 10 yrs ago, but of course we had the usual wankers protest about it.

The photo here is me on the Lebanese/Israeli border with UNIFIL.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What it's like to be in Iraq.-binos-1.jpg  

To be honest im not that in tune with the whole situation in ireland, was kinda over when i joined in 1998, just keep up with the developments there with the news and what the older sweats say.
    how long were you over in isreal?
    I did a secondment with the marines in america and it was the best year of my life, way too cushy though i doubt you had it as easy...

To be honest im not that in tune with the whole situation in ireland, was kinda over when i joined in 1998, just keep up with the developments there with the news and what the older sweats say.
    how long were you over in isreal?
    I did a secondment with the marines in america and it was the best year of my life, way too cushy though i doubt you had it as easy...
    I've served on the Israeli border numerous times since 1988, last time was 2001. But by then the war was over, most of the danger came from boredom and landmines. We ran an extensive mine awareness programme after the Israeli's withdrew, thankfully they had mapped the vast majority of their minefields. But the South Lebanese Army left an abundance of booty trapped 'souvenirs' for the unwary!. Actually most of our mine awareness training comes from you guys!.

I've never trained with US forces, but most of the guys I know who have all say the same thing "cushy", although dry base's don't suit us

Yes the feeling here is that their being backed into a corner, the next few months should be interesting. We'll know if the cease fire is over by a spectacular on the British mainland.

I'm still serving in the Irish army so I can't say too much here regarding my service unfortunetly. But another 18 months and I retire with a 21 yr pension!. I haven't had the pleasure of serving with your guys yet, I was hoping to go to Kosovo or Bosnia this year but a few things cropped up which prevented me. But my guys who have served with the B.A. have nothing but good things to say about you guys. We also do alot of exchanges with the B.A. too. Alot of my mate's have completed your battle Sgt's course, Recce course's etc.. Makes a change from when I went in first, we still considered you guys 'the enemy'.
    We'd a Dublin lad killed in the first few months of the war there, shot by an Iraqi sniper. When was afford full British military honours at his funeral here in Dublin. That wouldn't have happened only 10 yrs ago, but of course we had the usual wankers protest about it.

The photo here is me on the Lebanese/Israeli border with UNIFIL.

Hey Bouncer whats that your packin???

Also can anyone tell me how to take video files from my computer and post them here. I have some more crap from Iraq.

Hey Bouncer whats that your packin???

Also can anyone tell me how to take video files from my computer and post them here. I have some more crap from Iraq.

Its a Steyr AUG.

And I don't think you can post clips.

Cycleon is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    you would have to load it on a webpage somewhere and give us a link

Badgerman is offline Banned
    Boys and their toys......you have to admit those rag tag resistance fighters have some balls to attack the US military.......knowing some F-16s and Gunships are on the way to their position. Must be pretty convinced in what they believe........

Of course if the French or Irish or Chechans were occupying the US......I'd have my little mortar set up........too bad it only fires golf balls

More reality from the Middle East.

Warning Graphic

http://www.indymedia.org.uk/media/2004/01/284087.mpg

Thread Information