Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet

I'm not religious, but this guy impressed me..

I was involved in an armed robbery this morning. Basically I was driving past a Post Office and seen a robbery in progress. The robber and a customer fell through the plate glass window of the post office and people shouted to me it was a robbery and the robber had a gun.

(I was driving an army vehicle, and on duty)

I jumped out and struggled with the robber with the customer. Long story cut short, the cops came and arrested the robber. While waiting for the Ambulance I provided medical assistance to the injuried customer, he was bleeding very heavy from head wounds. But as bad as he was injured he never stopped fighting the robber with me. Anyway, while waiting he asked me was he going to die, of course I reassured him he wasn't. But he kept telling me he didn't want to die without his bible. I thought he might have a pocket bible and searched him for it. But he managed to tell me his bible had fallen in the struggle in the post office. I got a member of the public to go look for it. He got it and prayed to god, clutching his bible all the time.

This thread isn't about me, or my part in apprendending the robber (he was armed with a gun and a butchers knife). Its about the faith the injured customer had in his god and his bible. He was from The Congo, he was extremly brave and I envy him his faith. Its stuck in my mind all day.

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    incredible

Dave321 is offline AR's Salad Tossing Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by BOUNCER
    I was involved in an armed robbery this morning. Basically I was driving past a Post Office and seen a robbery in progress. The robber and a customer fell through the plate glass window of the post office and people shouted to me it was a robbery and the robber had a gun.

(I was driving an army vehicle, and on duty)

I jumped out and struggled with the robber with the customer. Long story cut short, the cops came and arrested the robber. While waiting for the Ambulance I provided medical assistance to the injuried customer, he was bleeding very heavy from head wounds. But as bad as he was injured he never stopped fighting the robber with me. Anyway, while waiting he asked me was he going to die, of course I reassured him he wasn't. But he kept telling me he didn't want to die without his bible. I thought he might have a pocket bible and searched him for it. But he managed to tell me his bible had fallen in the struggle in the post office. I got a member of the public to go look for it. He got it and prayed to god, clutching his bible all the time.

This thread isn't about me, or my part in apprendending the robber (he was armed with a gun and a butchers knife). Its about the faith the injured customer had in his god and his bible. He was from The Congo, he was extremly brave and I envy him his faith. Its stuck in my mind all day.
    Wow, what a morning. I envy him for his faith and hope he is doing well. I don't even know what to say other than that was one of the craziest stories I have heard in a while. It is a good thing you were there for him as well.

notus is offline Member
    The man definetly has an admirable quality.

Cmore is offline Associate Member
    Good job to both of you. It's always good to hear things like that. Hope he's ok and hope you kicked that guys a$$.

I was going to call into the hospital to see how the guy is. Its reported on the news that he has serious head injuries. When the ambulance arrived he was bearly with me. I've been in combat before, but this guy tackled the robber in the post office, went through the plate glass window with him and never let go. Between that and his faith he's one of the bravest people I've seen.

I hope he's making a speedy recovery. But apart from that, I keep thinking about him asking for his bible, very impressed.

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    i hope he recovers quickly and safely.

Calling him would be very important to him, especially if he is a man of faith...

JMO

Bigen12 is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Too few really good men left these days,

I agree with Mr Mondo, I'd go see him as soon as he is receiving visitors.

Cmore is offline Associate Member
    Keep us updated whenever you find out his condition...

VIXI is offline Female Member
    sometimes faith is all you have...when it's all said and done...if by some crazy circumstance...there really isn't a God and I just return to dust...at least I always had the comfort and peace that really believing in something bigger than you can bring...why wouldn't you want to believe that there's an all powerful father out there that loves you no matter what...now to be able to let his faith direct his life and be the focus of possibly his last moments is a beautiful thing indeed..think of it this way...who does a child turn to when they're afraid?...their father....call me a fool..but I just think of what's to come if I am right...bet I'll look cute with angel wings ...xxxSass

colossus1 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VIXI
    ..but I just think of what's to come if I am right...bet I'll look cute with angel wings ...xxxSass

Or some horns and a long tail..........haha. Just messing with ya vixi.

colossus1 is offline Member
    I was going to call into the hospital to see how the guy is. Its reported on the news that he has serious head injuries. When the ambulance arrived he was bearly with me. I've been in combat before, but this guy tackled the robber in the post office, went through the plate glass window with him and never let go. Between that and his faith he's one of the bravest people I've seen.

I hope he's making a speedy recovery. But apart from that, I keep thinking about him asking for his bible, very impressed.

What he did was awesome. The general public now days can usually standbye and watch a killing take place and nobody will help. He broke the mold.......and for that, he should be rewarded.

BlueAndromeda73 is offline Senior Member
    very cool, hopefully he fully recovers quickly, and also thanks Bouncer for sharing the inspiring story.

Machdiesel is offline Anabolic Member
    hey man if nething here i def envy you. Not demeaning this guys actions, but you went out of your way to put yourelf in un nessasary danger, great job, im sure many people appreciate what you did for them

Here's the latest on the incident.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/0506/dublin.html

sometimes faith is all you have...when it's all said and done...if by some crazy circumstance...there really isn't a God and I just return to dust...at least I always had the comfort and peace that really believing in something bigger than you can bring...why wouldn't you want to believe that there's an all powerful father out there that loves you no matter what...now to be able to let his faith direct his life and be the focus of possibly his last moments is a beautiful thing indeed..think of it this way...who does a child turn to when they're afraid?...their father....call me a fool..but I just think of what's to come if I am right...bet I'll look cute with angel wings ...xxxSass
    Lovely reply. Honestly I've been thinking of this guy and his faith in god all day. I've never had that faith and really envy him. I'm going to look into my feelings alot closer, esp. after reading what you've just said. Thanks.

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Well, IMHO, 3 cheers for the guy for tackling the crook, and may the crook rot under a mile-high pile of maggot infested rotton garbage. I'm rootin' for his speedy recovery, an award, and 3 cheers for you, too. Ya.

But -- I don't see what role the fellow's religious beleifs have in this story other than their ability to provide comfort in times of stress. IMHO, he seems to be benefiting from his religion, and there's no reason I can think of why he should give it up, unless he does a thorough study on the basis for religious faith and changes his opinion on his own.

So, ya, the guy deserves a medal, but for his action to catch the crook, not for his religious beleif.

JMHO,

-Tock

Tock maybe his religious beliefs gave him the strenght and courage to to do what he did. I'll scan the news paper shortly, it relates the story pretty accurate. He kept telling the guy "god is on my side, I'm not going to die".

Tock, you have to realise what this guy done. He's an African ayslum seeker here in Ireland, he was a customer waiting in line when the gunman entered the post office with a gun, a ski mask and a knife and the guy tackled him in total disregard for his own safety. He didn't have to do what he did, but he'd the courage of his convictions to tackle an armed robber while those around him watched on. I think his actions were amazingly brave, and his faith has given me tons to think about.

Tock maybe his religious beliefs gave him the strenght and courage to to do what he did. I'll scan the news paper shortly, it relates the story pretty accurate. He kept telling the guy "god is on my side, I'm not going to die".

Tock, you have to realise what this guy done. He's an African ayslum seeker here in Ireland, he was a customer waiting in line when the gunman entered the post office with a gun, a ski mask and a knife and the guy tackled him in total disregard for his own safety. He didn't have to do what he did, but he'd the courage of his convictions to tackle an armed robber while those around him watched on. I think his actions were amazingly brave, and his faith has given me tons to think about.

Well said, also I have thought of this the past few days after reading it, still impressive to me.

Well, not to minimize what this fellow did, but I know folks with decidedly un-christian beleifs who have done similar things (I've chased down a few bad guys myself). So, IMHO, while the guy deserves a hearty handshake and maybe even expedited immigration services, I hardly see what Christian faith has to offer for society that other religions don't. Actually, atheists are quite capable of heroism at times, so, it seems to me that the role of personal faith is a rather minor one in this story, and instead, it's the guy's strength of character that deserves recognition.

JMHO . . .

-Tock

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    It must feel nice to have that kind of faith.

very impressive man. If most of the people(including me) had 1/10 of his guts the world would be a better place

bedrock is offline Junior Member
    Thats nothing, this morning I disarmed an atomic bomb with my left hand while eating an egg Mcmuffin with my right hand, and I'm right handed !

Quote Originally Posted by bedrock
    Thats nothing, this morning I disarmed an atomic bomb with my left hand while eating an egg Mcmuffin with my right hand, and I'm right handed !

Keep your drivel to the lounge area in future

Quote Originally Posted by Tock
    Well, not to minimize what this fellow did, but I know folks with decidedly un-christian beleifs who have done similar things (I've chased down a few bad guys myself). So, IMHO, while the guy deserves a hearty handshake and maybe even expedited immigration services, I hardly see what Christian faith has to offer for society that other religions don't. Actually, atheists are quite capable of heroism at times, so, it seems to me that the role of personal faith is a rather minor one in this story, and instead, it's the guy's strength of character that deserves recognition.

JMHO . . .

-Tock

Just because you like to take faith out of all of it doesn't mean it wasn't there, maybe he was the sort of person that without that faith in God would have done nothing and stood there and watched, did you think of that? And how could his personal faith be considered minor when that is what this whole thing is focused around, and it is what he gives credit to?

singern is offline Banned
    Well done bro, Well done.....

clhp20 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedrock
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I'm not religious, but this guy impressed me..-newbie-bomb.jpg  

Bigen12 is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Here's the latest on the incident.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/0506/dublin.html

D@mn big man, you made the news...

Credit has also been paid to others - including a passing member of the Defence Forces who helped keep hold of the assailant until gardaí arrived.
    Excellent Job!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueAndromeda73
    Just because you like to take faith out of all of it doesn't mean it wasn't there,
    But by the same token, just because you like to put faith into all of it doesn't mean that's why this thing happened.

If you look around, you'll find lots of people will stick their necks out for other folks. IMHO, those folks are motiviated more by gumption than by holding particular theories regarding the triune nature of the godhead.

JMHO . . .

-Tock

Quote Originally Posted by Tock
    But by the same token, just because you like to put faith into all of it doesn't mean that's why this thing happened.

If you look around, you'll find lots of people will stick their necks out for other folks. IMHO, those folks are motiviated more by gumption than by holding particular theories regarding the triune nature of the godhead.

JMHO . . .

-Tock

I know that there are a lot of people who would stick their necks out not based on faith, but obviously that was a big deal in this stroy and had a big role in what happened, I don't see why you have to go around demeaning it, instead of just accepting that this mans personal faith was very strong and helped play a vital role in a dangerous situation, as well as being inspiring to others.

co2boi is offline Anabolic Member
    Maybe he was hiding crack or something in his Bible and just wanted to make sure no one else got it? That would explain a lot

Quote Originally Posted by co2boi
    Maybe he was hiding crack or something in his Bible and just wanted to make sure no one else got it? That would explain a lot
    I expect more from a member with your experience here.

Like I said to the newbie above, keep that stuff for the lounge area please.

Slick Arrado is offline Member
    Moving story Bouncer. Kudos to you both. What does gardai mean? It's the second to last word in the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Arrado
    Moving story Bouncer. Kudos to you both. What does gardai mean? It's the second to last word in the story.

http://www.garda.ie/

Gaelic for 'Guardians of the Peace'. Its our police force.

alphaman is offline Anabolic Member
    So you're a police officer, but you support the IRA? I don't understand the politics in Ireland, but I thought the IRA was an Illeagal organization over there. I am confused.

Angelis is offline Banned
    No offence to ya or anything VIXI but I see it the other way around if I believed in god and I get into some really serious trouble one day one of two things can happen.

1) I can pray to my god to help me out and hope by some "miracle" something happens. (lets face it how many times has this worked... ask around and see)

2) I can learn to fend for myself so on that day when im in that danger I can fend for myself and not have to rely on a "all powerful being" that may or may not exist.

I prefer to pick the latter and fend for myself... but I do commend that guy on his courage and yours as well Bouncer.

And im sure you would look great in angel wings VIX

Quote Originally Posted by alphaman
    So you're a police officer, but you support the IRA? I don't understand the politics in Ireland, but I thought the IRA was an Illeagal organization over there. I am confused.

Where did I say I'm a police officer, and where do I say I support the IRA?.

alphaman is offline Anabolic Member
    I don't mean to assume, and definitely not to offend you. I thought Bobby Sands was in the IRA. I find it interesting and was curious. I'm of Scottish/Irish decent.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaman
    I don't mean to assume, and definitely not to offend you. I thought Bobby Sands was in the IRA. I find it interesting and was curious. I'm of Scottish/Irish decent.

BOBBY SANDS (click here)

A little ballad about the 1981 hungry strike in which ten Irishmen starved to death for their beliefs.

"Oh my name is Joe McDonnell
    From Belfast town I came
    That city I will never see again
    For in the town of Belfast
    I spent many happy days
    And I loved that town in oh so many ways
    For it's there I spent my childhood
    And found for me a wife
    I then set out to make for her a life
    Oh but all my young ambition
    Met with bitterness and hate
    I soon found myself inside a prison gate

And you dare to call me a terrorist
    While you look down your gun
    When I think of all the deeds that you have done -
    You have plundered many nations
    Divided many lands
    You have terrorized their people
    You ruled with an iron hand
    And you brought this reign of terror to my land

Through the many months internment
    In the Maidstone and the Maze
    I thought about my land throughout those days
    Why my country was divided
    Why I was now in jail
    Imprisoned without crime or without trial
    And though I love my country
    I am not a bitter man
    I've seen cruelty and injustice at first hand
    And so one faithful morning
    I shook bold freedom's hand
    For right or wrong I tried to free my land

Then one cold October's morning
    I was trapped in the lion's den
    And I found myself in prison once again
    I was committed to the H-Blocks
    For fourteen years or more
    On the "blanket" the conditions they were poor
    Then a hunger strike we did commence
    For the dignity of man
    But it seemed to me that no one gave a ****
    Oh but now I am a saddened man
    I've watched my comrades die
    If only people cared or wondered why

Oh may God shine on you, Bobby Sands
    For the courage you have shown
    May your glory and your fame be widely known
    And Francis Hughes and Ray McCreesh
    Who died unselfishly
    And Patsy O'Hara, and the next in line is me
    And those who lie behind me
    May your courage be the same
    And I pray to god my life was not in vain

And though sad and bitter was the year of 1981
    All was not lost, but it's still there to be won"

Getting back on topic. I gave my statement to the police this afternoon and viewed the security tape from the post office. What this African national done was simply amazing. He had just been served and turn to walk out, as the robber had just entered the P.O.. When the black guy seen the gun being drawn he leapt onto the robber, a vicious fight ensued with both men going through the glass windon onto the side walk. This is when I entered the scene. I truely don't believe Tock that you'd have taken the same course of action, I think very few men would have. I truely do believe his faith in God gave him the strenght and courage to act.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information