Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Thanks to US

  1. #1
    Badgerman's Avatar
    Badgerman is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    A mile High
    Posts
    3,089

    Thanks to US

    Baghdad despairs as water cut adds to misery
    By Oliver Poole in Baghdad
    (Filed: 25/06/2005)

    Lubna Ali was resigned to the daily electricity shortages that cut off the lights, shut down the air conditioning and left her family sweltering in the summer heat.

    She coped with her terror of the bombs, drive-by shootings and kidnappings by deciding, at the start of this year, to venture no further than her garden gate.


    People gather to collect water at an emergency pump
    But the final straw for the 42-year-old housewife from the middle-class New Baghdad district in the Iraqi capital came when a rebel attack on a water plant cut off supplies to two million people.

    With the temperature above 50C, this brought Mrs Ali "the true knowledge of despair".

    "I didn't think it could get worse - and then it did," she said, her kitchen filled with dirty plates and the lavatories unflushed. "The children are crying. All we want is to pour some water on our bodies.

    "I now wish we could go back to Saddam's time. We suffered then, but not like the suffering nowadays. There is no water or electricity. I can't sleep because of the heat. How are we to live these lives of misery?"

    At a conference in Brussels this week, the Iraqi government briefed representatives from more than 80 countries and organisations on its programmes to rebuild the county, and listed its achievements.

    In Baghdad, meanwhile, crowds of thirsty people waited for hours at emergency water pipes to fill jerry cans and buckets, while women washed clothes in the dirty waters of the Euphrates.

    The citizens of this city do not give up easily. The shock, fear and chaos that came with the American takeover was soon replaced by black humour and stoicism. Outsiders are invariably astounded at how - after yet another bombing - street vendors can reopen their stalls, even as the bloodstains are being hosed from the pavements.

    But the mood in the city is increasingly one of desperation. While residents wait in vain for promised reconstruction projects to materialise, the government cannot even agree on the make-up of the committee to draw up a new constitution, let alone its contents.

    Sovereignty was returned to the Iraqi people from the occupying administration a year ago. But electricity output in the capital has decreased in the past five months - averaging only 854 megawatts per day now, compared with 2,500 megawatts before the war. The rationing system for sugar and baby milk collapsed at the beginning of the year, forcing many to go without.

    Sadr City, the vast slum in the capital's west, is in the grip of a hepatitis outbreak. Forty per cent of Baghdad's homes have reported sewage on the streets. Fresh water had finally returned to most of the city by last night - but for only two hours a day.

    And then there are the suicide bombers. After a brief lull earlier this month, when the Iraqi army launched Operation Lightning to root out insurgents in the city and made more than 1,000 arrests, they resumed their deadly work as usual last week.

    Shortly after dawn on Thursday, four bombs exploded in Karada, a district known for its teashops and clothing stores, killing 15 people, only hours after three other blasts had torn through the Shula neighbourhood.

    At one bomb scene, the mangled chassis of a car hung from a tree and the blue tiles were stripped from an adjacent mosque. Masked Iraqi police moved in, bringing central Baghdad traffic to a standstill for 90 minutes.

    Standing beside a pool of blood, Abu Radhi, an architect, said: "This city was once the most beautiful in the Middle East. People would stroll by the river at dusk and the restaurants were filled with laughter. Now our life is this."

  2. #2
    smokethedays's Avatar
    smokethedays is offline Veni, Vedi, Vici.
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    In The Kitchen :)
    Posts
    4,548
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Badgerman
    Baghdad despairs as water cut adds to misery
    By Oliver Poole in Baghdad
    (Filed: 25/06/2005)

    Lubna Ali was resigned to the daily electricity shortages that cut off the lights, shut down the air conditioning and left her family sweltering in the summer heat.

    She coped with her terror of the bombs, drive-by shootings and kidnappings by deciding, at the start of this year, to venture no further than her garden gate.


    People gather to collect water at an emergency pump
    But the final straw for the 42-year-old housewife from the middle-class New Baghdad district in the Iraqi capital came when a rebel attack on a water plant cut off supplies to two million people.

    With the temperature above 50C, this brought Mrs Ali "the true knowledge of despair".

    "I didn't think it could get worse - and then it did," she said, her kitchen filled with dirty plates and the lavatories unflushed. "The children are crying. All we want is to pour some water on our bodies.

    "I now wish we could go back to Saddam's time. We suffered then, but not like the suffering nowadays. There is no water or electricity. I can't sleep because of the heat. How are we to live these lives of misery?"

    At a conference in Brussels this week, the Iraqi government briefed representatives from more than 80 countries and organisations on its programmes to rebuild the county, and listed its achievements.

    In Baghdad, meanwhile, crowds of thirsty people waited for hours at emergency water pipes to fill jerry cans and buckets, while women washed clothes in the dirty waters of the Euphrates.

    The citizens of this city do not give up easily. The shock, fear and chaos that came with the American takeover was soon replaced by black humour and stoicism. Outsiders are invariably astounded at how - after yet another bombing - street vendors can reopen their stalls, even as the bloodstains are being hosed from the pavements.

    But the mood in the city is increasingly one of desperation. While residents wait in vain for promised reconstruction projects to materialise, the government cannot even agree on the make-up of the committee to draw up a new constitution, let alone its contents.

    Sovereignty was returned to the Iraqi people from the occupying administration a year ago. But electricity output in the capital has decreased in the past five months - averaging only 854 megawatts per day now, compared with 2,500 megawatts before the war. The rationing system for sugar and baby milk collapsed at the beginning of the year, forcing many to go without.

    Sadr City, the vast slum in the capital's west, is in the grip of a hepatitis outbreak. Forty per cent of Baghdad's homes have reported sewage on the streets. Fresh water had finally returned to most of the city by last night - but for only two hours a day.

    And then there are the suicide bombers. After a brief lull earlier this month, when the Iraqi army launched Operation Lightning to root out insurgents in the city and made more than 1,000 arrests, they resumed their deadly work as usual last week.

    Shortly after dawn on Thursday, four bombs exploded in Karada, a district known for its teashops and clothing stores, killing 15 people, only hours after three other blasts had torn through the Shula neighbourhood.

    At one bomb scene, the mangled chassis of a car hung from a tree and the blue tiles were stripped from an adjacent mosque. Masked Iraqi police moved in, bringing central Baghdad traffic to a standstill for 90 minutes.

    Standing beside a pool of blood, Abu Radhi, an architect, said: "This city was once the most beautiful in the Middle East. People would stroll by the river at dusk and the restaurants were filled with laughter. Now our life is this."
    great post bro.
    i guess that image what G. W. Bush called "liberating Iraqies and give them the right to VOTE".

  3. #3
    max2extreme's Avatar
    max2extreme is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,982
    thanks to U.S.?? ridiculous. Thanks to badger, my cat got kicked because I read this post...adds pain and suffering to my cat. all thanks to you right? ridiculous.

  4. #4
    Badgerman's Avatar
    Badgerman is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    A mile High
    Posts
    3,089
    Quote Originally Posted by max2extreme
    thanks to U.S.?? ridiculous. Thanks to badger, my cat got kicked because I read this post...adds pain and suffering to my cat. all thanks to you right? ridiculous.
    Why so ridiculous???.....US installed Saddam.....US supplies Saddam.......US destroys country uninstalling Saddam.......gee whos fault is it then??....you're ridiculous........climb off your self-righteous high horse

  5. #5
    IronFreakX's Avatar
    IronFreakX is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,803
    Cmon....u think theyre gonna in there....then 5 mins later....omg this woderful now we're free and there no sadam and everything is pink and perfect
    it takes time its gonna get worse then get alot better for them....

  6. #6
    max2extreme's Avatar
    max2extreme is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,982
    theres good and bad in every decision. and that decision leads to other decisions with good/bad. good far outweighs the bad. the first fork in the road is not the cause of the bad that happened 10 forks later. if we had just let it be, then youd be on here saying something like "america, supposedly the world cop, super power of goodness, why didnt they do something back when..." it is ridiculous. im not on a high horse. if i was born anywhere else, id still be glad america did what it did and does what it does.

  7. #7
    MilitiaGuy's Avatar
    MilitiaGuy is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Middle-East Lebanon
    Posts
    4,328
    Quote Originally Posted by Badgerman
    Standing beside a pool of blood, Abu Radhi, an architect, said: "This city was once the most beautiful in the Middle East. People would stroll by the river at dusk and the restaurants were filled with laughter. Now our life is this."
    I always say this to myself while watching news about Iraq, the situation is very sad but true, may god help the Iraqi people and the opressed muslims anywher in the world.

  8. #8
    IronFreakX's Avatar
    IronFreakX is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,803

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by max2extreme
    theres good and bad in every decision. and that decision leads to other decisions with good/bad. good far outweighs the bad. the first fork in the road is not the cause of the bad that happened 10 forks later. if we had just let it be, then youd be on here saying something like "america, supposedly the world cop, super power of goodness, why didnt they do something back when..." it is ridiculous. im not on a high horse. if i was born anywhere else, id still be glad america did what it did and does what it does.
    Yes!! like when the 9/11 happened and people here said" how could america let that happen arent they the strongest country in the world..."

    I mean WTF!!!! its like this....
    "doomed if u do...doomed if u dont" its not a rational talk...they dont like nething that america does...they just wanna hate and curse...thats SMART!!!

  9. #9
    RA's Avatar
    RA
    RA is offline Grade A Beef
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Getting madcow treatments
    Posts
    18,715
    Quote Originally Posted by max2extreme
    thanks to U.S.?? ridiculous. Thanks to badger, my cat got kicked because I read this post...adds pain and suffering to my cat. all thanks to you right? ridiculous.

  10. #10
    Bigen12's Avatar
    Bigen12 is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    4,301
    Quote Originally Posted by Badgerman
    Baghdad despairs as water cut adds to misery
    People gather to collect water at an emergency pump
    But the final straw for the 42-year-old housewife from the middle-class New Baghdad district in the Iraqi capital came when a rebel attack on a water plant cut off supplies to two million people.

    With the temperature above 50C, this brought Mrs Ali "the true knowledge of despair".

    "I didn't think it could get worse - and then it did," she said, her kitchen filled with dirty plates and the lavatories unflushed. "The children are crying. All we want is to pour some water on our bodies.

    "I now wish we could go back to Saddam's time. We suffered then, but not like the suffering nowadays. There is no water or electricity. I can't sleep because of the heat. How are we to live these lives of misery?"
    Strange that they didn’t clarify what caused the water to be cut……
    http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/news...3b36f3f5cc.htm
    BAGHDAD, 22 June (IRIN) – Two million Baghdad residents have been without drinking water since 19 June after saboteurs targeted a major water main in the capital.
    "The attack on the water pipes was a shock to all residents. Insurgents are not only killing innocent people but also destroying the daily lives of millions of people," Amer Salman, a senior Baghdad governorate official, said.

  11. #11
    Benches505's Avatar
    Benches505 is offline 75% HGH 25% Testosterone
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,366
    It is a tragedy that the iraqi people are indeed suffering. The USA is just trying to rebuild and give security at this point, the terrorists (or freedom fighters) are the ones blowing up Iraqi kids and cutting off the water. War in the traditional sense has been over for a long time and now it is guerilla warfare which you do not fight with an army without wiping out the civillians that obviously support them. I say we keep our reconstuction dollars and use it in our own country to find alternative fuel sources. If the wrong people rise to power in Iraq again after we leave we should just keep bombing the crap out of them from the air. We can keep them from becoming a threat in that way and our own loss of life will be minimal.

  12. #12
    Benches505's Avatar
    Benches505 is offline 75% HGH 25% Testosterone
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,366
    Quote Originally Posted by MilitiaGuy
    I always say this to myself while watching news about Iraq, the situation is very sad but true, may god help the Iraqi people and the opressed muslims anywher in the world.
    Your own country was once the jewel of the middle east full of educated people,scholars and powerful merchants. Are you going to blame us for that demise also?

  13. #13
    MilitiaGuy's Avatar
    MilitiaGuy is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Middle-East Lebanon
    Posts
    4,328
    Quote Originally Posted by Benches505
    Your own country was once the jewel of the middle east full of educated people,scholars and powerful merchants. Are you going to blame us for that demise also?
    Today Lebanon is full of educated people actually we export brains to the western countries, I am sure any Lebanese in USA or any other country is successful in his career, everyone is educated in Lebanon, we have the best universities in the middle east, and Beirut still and will always be the jewel of the middle east, I don’t want to be arrogant but I am sure if I have the opportunity to work in Canada or USA as a skilled worker I will be very successful and rich.

  14. #14
    GQ-Bouncer's Avatar
    GQ-Bouncer is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    look beyond what you see
    Posts
    2,304
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigen12
    Strange that they didn’t clarify what caused the water to be cut……
    http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/news...3b36f3f5cc.htm

    Your a Pimp brotha

    Badgerman =

  15. #15
    BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    IRELAND.
    Posts
    7,772
    Quote Originally Posted by MilitiaGuy
    Today Lebanon is full of educated people actually we export brains to the western countries, I am sure any Lebanese in USA or any other country is successful in his career, everyone is educated in Lebanon, we have the best universities in the middle east, and Beirut still and will always be the jewel of the middle east, I don’t want to be arrogant but I am sure if I have the opportunity to work in Canada or USA as a skilled worker I will be very successful and rich.

    Having spent alot of time in Lebanon I wouldn't doubt you for a moment.

  16. #16
    IronFreakX's Avatar
    IronFreakX is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,803

    Cool

    Today Lebanon is full of educated people actually we export brains to the western countries, I am sure any Lebanese in USA or any other country is successful in his career, everyone is educated in Lebanon, we have the best universities in the middle east, and Beirut still and will always be the jewel of the middle east, I don’t want to be arrogant but I am sure if I have the opportunity to work in Canada or USA as a skilled worker I will be very successful and rich.
    true that...I know a couple of girls from lebanon...all fvcking succesful and hot..I know 2 guys..both are mama-boy pvssies tho...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •