Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
    geoneo is offline Associate Member

Sikhism teaches tolerence of every religion

Although i think of myself as an agnostic, my religion is Sikhism, and I would like to share some of its teachings.

Sikhism was founded by Guru Nanak (1469). 创Sikh`` means disciple in the Punjabi language. They believe that there is only One God and that he抯 the same for all people of all religions. Sikhs condemn blind rituals such as fasting and idol worship. Sikhs believe that all people of all religions, races and sex are equal in the Lord抯 eyes. Sikhism has no priests instead any Sikh is free to read from the Guru Granth Sahib.
    Sikhism is one of the younger religions existing today (compared to Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism and Islam). Sikhism teaches honesty, compassion, humility, piety, social commitment and most of all tolerance for other religions.
    A Sikh believes in one God and the teachings of the ten Gurus, the Holy Scripture - Guru Granth Sahib

Guru Nanak Das pronounced:
    创 There is only one Father, and we are all his children. Recognize all human race as one``.
    He also said:
    创 Born of women, nourished by women, wedded to women, why do they revile women? How can women be called inferior when they give birth to kings and prophets? ``

Here as some similarities and differences with the most popular relgions, this is not to incite any hate - just interesting, and plz if you are of another faith and if anything below is wrong plz post about it, as I am sure there is.
    Sikhism and Hinduism
    Similarities:

*Believes in reincarnation, karma and Maya.

Differences:
    *Sikhs universalises one God while Hindus turn many Gods into 创One``.
    *The Sikhs don抰 believe that reading the Vedas or the shastras will lead to salvation and perfection.
    *Sikhs don抰 have any 创priestly class``.
    *They reject the Ashrama Dharma theory of dividing a man抯 life into four stages.
    *They think that there is no such thing as incarnation of God and many Gods and Goddesses. They believe that there is only One God.
    *Worship of idols and images are forbidden.
    *Hindus believe that a man that has received salvation does not live for the community but Sikhs believe that a man that has received salvation lives to save others.
    *They also reject all believe that a language is holy.

Sikhism and Judaism, Christianity

Similarities:

They all believe in; submission to the will of God, khalsa brotherhood and sacrament, brotherhood of men, fatherhood of God, salvation by grace and Jewish emphasis on 憈he name.

Differences:

*Christians believe that only the chosen people can get salvation while Sikhs believe that anyone from any religion can get salvation.
    *Christians say that Jesus is God抯 son but Sikhs say that all humans are God抯 children.
    *Christians and Jews get baptized as infants but Sikhs get baptized when they are old enough to understand what they have to do and their responsibilities.
    *Christians have Sunday as praying day, Jews have Friday as praying day while Sikhs pray everyday.
    *Christians and Jews believe that you go to heaven when you have lived a good life; Sikhs believe that you are reborn (reincarnation). Christians and Jews believe that you go to hell when you have lived a bad life, Sikhs believe that your soul merges with God.
    *These two religions have priests while in Sikhism there are none. Instead anyone from any sex can read from Guru Granth Sahib.

Sikhism and Islam
    Similarities:

Fatherhood of God, the bismilla and the Mul Mantra, will of God in the Quran is similar to the Hukam in the Guru Granth Sahib ( Sikh Holy book), that God created the world, encouragement for helping needy and poor, condemnation of idol worship and asceticism and concept of Holy War.

Differences:

*Muslims think that the Quran is the greatest book of all while Sikhs think that all religious books are equally valuable and important.
    *In the Quran there are threats and warnings to make people obey but in the Guru Granth Sahib it says that the book is like a fruit and the more you eat of it the better it gets.
    *The Muslims are taught to hate people from other religions, (<-I dont think this one is true, but my bussy insists i add it) while Sikhs are taught that all are equal.
    *The Quran says to fear God while the Guru Granth Sahib says to love God.
    *The Muslims think that God can only be mentioned in the Quran or in religious traditions. The Sikhs believe that God has many names and that his merits are uncountable.
    *Only Muslims are welcome to Mecca ( <- I dont think this is true either, hopefully some one will correct it) while all people of all religions are welcome to The Golden Temple.
    *In the Quran it says that a man is superior to the woman . In the Guru Granth Sahib it says that women are equal to men and that they deserve the same treatments.
    *The Muslim men don抰 want other men to look at their women, that is why women wear a veil but Sikhs think that the beauty God gave you, he gave you it to show the world and not to hide it behind a piece of cloth.
    *Muslims believe that fasting during Ramadan and going to Mecca once during your life will give you salvation. Sikhs believe that none of these will help but to worship the Lord抯 name.
    *Muslims are only allowed to eat halal meat from animals that have been killed during a prayer. Sikhs are forbidden to eat any meat from animals that have died through this way or by slow death.
    *All Muslim men must get circumcised in order to be called a Muslim. Sikhs think this is not right because, in that sense, what do the women do?

I though this might be an interesting read.

3Vandoo is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Actually it is a bit erroneus!

*Christians believe that only the chosen people can get salvation while Sikhs believe that anyone from any religion can get salvation. (there no chosen people, but people judge by God on their merits as christians)

*Christians say that Jesus is God抯 son but Sikhs say that all humans are God抯 children. (We are all his children in christianity)

*Christians and Jews get baptized as infants but Sikhs get baptized when they are old enough to understand what they have to do and their responsibilities. (okie cool, but its more a custom than anything else)

*Christians have Sunday as praying day, Jews have Friday as praying day while Sikhs pray everyday. (in theory we should pray everyday)

*Christians and Jews believe that you go to heaven when you have lived a good life; Sikhs believe that you are reborn (reincarnation). Christians and Jews believe that you go to hell when you have lived a bad life, Sikhs believe that your soul merges with God.

(we believe in reincarnation too, but, there are many types)

*These two religions have priests while in Sikhism there are none. Instead anyone from any sex can read from Guru Granth Sahib.

(anyone from any sex can preach the bible!)

Tolerance, dude can you tell me why the Sithk community is always bitching here in Montreal and alway attacking the christian community which is formed by 98% of the people here as alienating their faith, they took our xmas trees 3 years ago because Sikth were offended!

Thanks for all the corrections. But i cant find any news article about sikhs attacking chirstian over a chirstmas tree, or anything of that nature. Are you sure you have your facts right, can you post a link bros, you got me curious. Sikhs haven't attacked chiristians since England left india. I honestly have no idea what your talking about.

*Christians believe that only the chosen people can get salvation while Sikhs believe that anyone from any religion can get salvation. (there no chosen people, but people judge by God on their merits as christians) - i think what this point is trying to say is that the majority of christians believe that non-christians are going to hell, while sikhs dont believe this. Thus christians have set up missionaries to save people from hell but you will not see any type of missionaries from sikhs.

*Christians and Jews get baptized as infants but Sikhs get baptized when they are old enough to understand what they have to do and their responsibilities. (okie cool, but its more a custom than anything else) - mmm it maybe a custom now, but I think they should wait till the child is older, so he can make his own informed decision.

**These two religions have priests while in Sikhism there are none. Instead anyone from any sex can read from Guru Granth Sahib.

(anyone from any sex can preach the bible!)- wasn't it recently that a few catholics (i think ) allowed female preists, while many still dont.

Tolerance, dude can you tell me why the Sithk community is always bitching here in Montreal and alway attacking the christian community which is formed by 98% of the people here as alienating their faith, they took our xmas trees 3 years ago because Sikth were offended - can you plz provide new links to support these arguements, becuase honestly from experience It was the white christians doing all the attacks, i remeber growing up and getting beat up almost everyday by white christians because i was a sikh. About the "bitching" sikhs dont usually complain about anything unless its something racial, i mean if we are its not like were going around killing abortion doctors.

But anyway in my opinion no religion is perfect, but you have started generalizations already "Sithk community is always bitching ", you have to back it up bros, but this statement is like me saying that all christians all they ever do is "bitch" about gay marriages and abortion.

CAUSASIAN is offline Banned
    Interesting. I though Sikhism was more like Buddhism with no GOD's, or I though they were like Hinduism with many GOD's.

Didnt know they were monotheistics. They also believe in the one GOD and does not associate parterns with GOD correct?

If that is true, Sikhism has my respect. Because all the greatest prophets fought for Monotheism and the Oneness of GOD and against worshipping idols.

Yes that is correct causasian. Infact one of the sikh symbols is a word (IK Onkar) that means one god, and sikhism is strongly against idol worshipping. This is a passage from the Guru Granth Sahib:
    Ik Onkar There is only one god
    Sat nam His name is truth
    Karta Purkh He is the creator
    Nir Bhau He is without fear
    Nir Vair He is without hate
    Akall Moorat He is beyond time (immortal)
    Ajooni He is beyond birth and death
    Saibhang He is self-existent
    Gur Parsaad He is realised by the guru抯 grace

Very similiar verses in the Quran.

"Say He is Allah The One, Allah The Eternal. He never begot, nor was begotten. There is none comparable to Him."

Quote Originally Posted by 3Vandoo
    Tolerance, dude can you tell me why the Sithk community is always bitching here in Montreal and alway attacking the christian community which is formed by 98% of the people here as alienating their faith, they took our xmas trees 3 years ago because Sikth were offended!
    Was it Sikhs?

I though it was the muslim community who made a stink about the xmas trees and the Ogilvies xmas display?

Hmmm gonna have to research this...

Red

Quote Originally Posted by Red Ketchup
    Was it Sikhs?

I though it was the muslim community who made a stink about the xmas trees and the Ogilvies xmas display?

Hmmm gonna have to research this...

Red
    I dont know about the incident.

But one thing about Muslims, we dont complain about other religions celebrations or events or decorations etc. Unless the event or decoration is a direct attack on Islam.

Muslims didnt complain about the 10 commandments in American institutions, and I am pretty sure Muslims didnt complain about Christmas trees.

darmadoc is offline Member
    Actually, Jews don't get baptized- no belief in original sin that can be eradicated by baptism. Jews don't have priests, they have rabbis- but they have no special authority in the religion. Any male ( or female in most branches) over 13 can lead services. While Saturday is a day of rest, every day is a day of prayer. There is no concept of heaven and hell, at least not in the Torah.

Dave321 is offline AR's Salad Tossing Connoisseur
    this is a good read... my father is Sikh, and I've always wanted to learn more about the religion...

Quote Originally Posted by CAUSASIAN
    I dont know about the incident.

But one thing about Muslims, we dont complain about other religions celebrations or events or decorations etc. Unless the event or decoration is a direct attack on Islam.

Muslims didnt complain about the 10 commandments in American institutions, and I am pretty sure Muslims didnt complain about Christmas trees.

Well some Moslem did complained, but they are the type to complaint about everything(people that did complained) from odor outside to the traffic light is too long!

But the main complaint came from the Sitk that I am sure!

Quote Originally Posted by 3Vandoo
    Well some Moslem did complained, but they are the type to complaint about everything(people that did complained) from odor outside to the traffic light is too long!

But the main complaint came from the Sitk that I am sure!
    Tks darmadoc for the corrections.
    Actually its amazing how many similarites there are compared to differences.
    Justin i would never have guessed you where Sikh from your pic.
    lol 3Vandoo you spelt it wrong everytime its Sikh, i cant find your aritcle anywhere, but maybe Red will find something. Anyhow i dont now if any Sikhs would complain about xmass trees, since alot of them have them up during christmas in the spirtit of the holidays, but still interested in knowing what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by geoneo
    Tks darmadoc for the corrections.
    Actually its amazing how many similarites there are compared to differences.
    lol 3Vandoo you spelt it wrong everytime its Sikh, i cant find your aritcle anywhere, but maybe Red will find something. Anyhow i dont now if any Sikhs would complain about xmass trees, since alot of them have them up during christmas in the spirtit of the holidays, but still interested in knowing what happened.

I know, Sith, revenge of the Sith, Sick, Sikh see I have it

you wont find anything except in French

physio_sport is offline Banned
    Sikhism and Islam
    Similarities:

Fatherhood of God, the bismilla and the Mul Mantra, will of God in the Quran is similar to the Hukam in the Guru Granth Sahib ( Sikh Holy book), that God created the world, encouragement for helping needy and poor, condemnation of idol worship and asceticism and concept of Holy War.

Differences:

*Muslims think that the Quran is the greatest book of all while Sikhs think that all religious books are equally valuable and important.
    *In the Quran there are threats and warnings to make people obey but in the Guru Granth Sahib it says that the book is like a fruit and the more you eat of it the better it gets.
    *The Muslims are taught to hate people from other religions, (<-I dont think this one is true, but my bussy insists i add it) while Sikhs are taught that all are equal.
    *The Muslims think that God can only be mentioned in the Quran or in religious traditions. The Sikhs believe that God has many names and that his merits are uncountable.
    *Only Muslims are welcome to Mecca ( <- I dont think this is true either, hopefully some one will correct it) while all people of all religions are welcome to The Golden Temple.
    *In the Quran it says that a man is superior to the woman . In the Guru Granth Sahib it says that women are equal to men and that they deserve the same treatments.
    *The Muslim men don抰 want other men to look at their women, that is why women wear a veil but Sikhs think that the beauty God gave you, he gave you it to show the world and not to hide it behind a piece of cloth.
    *Muslims believe that fasting during Ramadan and going to Mecca once during your life will give you salvation. Sikhs believe that none of these will help but to worship the Lord抯 name.
    *Muslims are only allowed to eat halal meat from animals that have been killed during a prayer. Sikhs are forbidden to eat any meat from animals that have died through this way or by slow death.
    *All Muslim men must get circumcised in order to be called a Muslim. Sikhs think this is not right because, in that sense, what do the women do?

I though this might be an interesting read.

nearly every point you have made about muslims is eaither completly incorrect or twisted into a negative way through the use of words which you have chosen to write with. im not going to go trough each one so im just going to give you a few example :

no man is not better then a women or the other way round. the koran recognises the difference between man and women and encourages them to excel in what they are good at and to streghthen the strenghts.

men and women a said to be equal but the quran does recognise the difference between man and women.

the quran say's fear god if you have done bad things and people who belive and follow and do good deads have nothing to fear on the final day.

gods name can be mentioned everywhere and should be remebered throughout the day. i think the jews are the ones that dont use gods name outside religon not the muslims.

zOaib is offline VET
    nice to see u back physio !!!!

physio_sport is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ZOAIB
    nice to see u back physio !!!!
    well im not really back. i just logged in one day to look at the "steroid lab" and realised that i was no longer "banned" so i just posted 1 or 2 replies in this section but im not really going to be participating in this section much or possibly at all just 1 or 2 replies here and there and nothing more.

tks physio for all the corrections, like i said seems like theres more similarites then differences.

How many Sikhs are there in Canada. It seems like every Canadian on this forum is Sikh.

Thread Information