Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
    MilitiaGuy is offline Banned

Thumbs down IRA Ends Three Decades Of Resistance

Source:http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/front/2005/0729/3692738636HM6IRASTATEMENT.html

The following is the IRA statement read out by Séanna Walsh:

"The leadership of Óglaigh na hÉireann has formally ordered an end to the armed campaign.

This will take effect from 4pm this afternoon.

All IRA units have been ordered to dump arms.

All Volunteers have been instructed to assist the development of purely political and democratic programmes through exclusively peaceful means.

Volunteers must not engage in any other activities whatsoever.

The IRA leadership has also authorised our representative to engage with the IICD to complete the process to verifiably put its arms beyond use in a way which will further enhance public confidence and to conclude this as quickly as possible.

We have invited two independent witnesses, from the Protestant and Catholic churches, to testify to this.

The Army Council took these decisions following an unprecedented internal discussion and consultation process with IRA units and Volunteers.

We appreciate the honest and forthright way in which the consultation process was carried out and the depth and content of the submissions.

We are proud of the comradely way in which this truly historic discussion was conducted. The outcome of our consultations show very strong support among IRA Volunteers for the Sinn Féin peace strategy.

There is also widespread concern about the failure of the two governments and the unionists to fully engage in the peace process. This has created real difficulties.

The overwhelming majority of people in Ireland fully support this process. They and friends of Irish unity throughout the world want to see the full implementation of the Good Friday agreement.

Notwithstanding these difficulties, our decisions have been taken to advance our republican and democratic objectives, including our goal of a united Ireland.

We believe there is now an alternative way to achieve this and to end British rule in our country.

It is the responsibility of all Volunteers to show leadership, determination and courage. We are very mindful of the sacrifices of our patriot dead, those who went to jail, Volunteers, their families and the wider republican base.

We reiterate our view that the armed struggle was entirely legitimate.

We are conscious that many people suffered in the conflict. There is a compelling imperative on all sides to build a just and lasting peace.

The issue of the defence of nationalist and republican communities has been raised with us. There is a responsibility on society to ensure that there is no re-occurrence of the pogroms of 1969 and the early 1970s. There is also a universal responsibility to tackle sectarianism in all its forms.

The IRA is fully committed to the goals of Irish unity and independence and to building the Republic outlined in the 1916 Proclamation.

We call for maximum unity and effort by Irish republicans everywhere.

We are confident that by working together Irish republicans can achieve our objectives.

Every Volunteer is aware of the import of the decisions we have taken and all Óglaigh are compelled to fully comply with these orders.

There is now an unprecedented opportunity to utilise the considerable energy and goodwill which there is for the peace process. This comprehensive series of unparalleled initiatives is our contribution to this and to the continued endeavours to bring about independence and unity for the people of Ireland.

- P O Neill

I wonder will they get all their lands by dropping arms? will the british withdraw from the invaded land? will the Irish be really free? is this a one side move or their is some secret agreement with the british governement?
    Last edited by MilitiaGuy; 07-29-2005 at 06:36 AM.

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    I have mixed feelings on this one M'guy. I personally think its a stupid move and leaves the catholic/republican population of British occupied Northern Ireland to attacks from Protestant/Loyalist terror groups. I think the continuence of the armed struggle would have brought about a British withdrawal far quicker, but at what price?. We've fought a dirty war of attrition here with the vast majority of casualties being civilians (on both sides).

My fear for Ireland is that the bastard British will withdraw and leave Irish people to fight a civil war. Its their history, and we've already fought one civil war in this country. Lets see how it goes, but most Irish people will tell you we don't trust the word of the British government or the will of the protestant/loyalist people of British occupied Northern Ireland.

Lets enjoy the peace.

zOaib is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by BOUNCER
    I have mixed feelings on this one M'guy. I personally think its a stupid move and leaves the catholic/republican population of British occupied Northern Ireland to attacks from Protestant/Loyalist terror groups. I think the continuence of the armed struggle would have brought about a British withdrawal far quicker, but at what price?. We've fought a dirty war of attrition here with the vast majority of casualties being civilians (on both sides).

My fear for Ireland is that the bastard British will withdraw and leave Irish people to fight a civil war. Its their history, and we've already fought one civil war in this country. Lets see how it goes, but most Irish people will tell you we don't trust the word of the British government or the will of the protestant/loyalist people of British occupied Northern Ireland.

Lets enjoy the peace.

being IRISH , i am curious as to what u think about the BRITISH are they trustworthy or not ?

Quote Originally Posted by zOaib
    being IRISH , i am curious as to what u think about the BRITISH are they trustworthy or not ?

As regards what?. As regards their occupation of Northern Ireland, of course I wouldn't trust them.

singern is offline Banned
    Non violent methods have been successful in effecting change, Perhaps like you say it may take longer, it may be less effective at rattling cages, but it has been successful. The cost of violent methods is too high a price, and no political problem can be truly resolved by terror and violence.

I wish for your people the independence, and justice you crave, but the manner in which it is achieved is key.

zOaib is offline VET
    As regards what?. As regards their occupation of Northern Ireland, of course I wouldn't trust them.

yeah with respect to ireland , but using the same notion if u look at what happened in the Indian Subcontinent of Asia , the division into 2 countries after the british rule due the number of people against british occupation they did leave that place but just to show how bitter they were about leaving such a resourceful spot on the world they left a bone between two religions , so they would not be at peace for a while .............. i guess british are very sly when it comes to their own interests or regrets ............... what do u think ?

Of course their sly and of course I don't trust them. They'll do to us what they've done right through their terrible history, they'll withdraw and leave a divided people to fight a civil war. Few people don't realise that as recently as 1973 Catholics in British occupied Northern Ireland were denied a democratic vote.

Some images of Northern Ireland..

they'll withdraw and leave a divided people to fight a civil war. IMG]
    Bouncer.
    Although I’m not that familiar with the situation I was always under the impression that all of Ireland wanted a united and independent nation. I wasn’t aware that the aspirations of North and South were not the same
    Can you give a link that explains this better.

You don't need a link, its very simple. The protestant population of Northern Ireland want to remain part of Britain and are loyal to the British monarchy. The Irish catholic people of both north and south of the border want a free and undivided Ireland.

The words of our proclaimation issued in 1916..

IRISHMEN AND IRISHWOMEN: In the name of God and of the dead generations from which she receives her old tradition of nationhood, Ireland, through us, summons her children to her flag and strikes for her freedom.

Having organised and trained her manhood through her secret revolutionary organisation, the Irish Republican Brotherhood, and through her open military organisations, the Irish Volunteers and the Irish Citizen Army, having patiently perfected her discipline, having resolutely waited for the right moment to reveal itself, she now seizes that moment, and, supported by her exiled children in America and by gallant allies in Europe, but relying in the first on her own strength, she strikes in full confidence of victory.

We declare the right of the people of Ireland to the ownership of Ireland, and to the unfettered control of Irish destinies, to be sovereign and indefeasible. The long usurption of that right by a foreign people and government has not extinguished the right, nor can it ever be extinguished except by the destruction of the Irish people. In every generation the Irish people have asserted their right to national freedom and sovereignty : six times during the past three hundred years they have asserted it in arms. Standing on that fundamental right and again asserting it in arms in the face of the world, we hereby proclaim the Irish Republic as a Sovereign Independent State, and we pledge our lives and the lives of our comrades-in-arms to the cause of its freedom, of its welfare, and its exaltation among the nations.

The Irish Republic is entitled to, and hereby claims, the allegiance of every Irishman and Irishwoman. The Republic guarantees religious and civil liberty, equal rights and equal opportunities to all its citizens, and declares its resolve to pursue the happiness and prosperity of the of the whole nation and of all its parts, cherishing all the children of the nation equally, and oblivious of the differences carefully fostered by an alien government, which have divided a minority from the majority in the past.

Until our arms have brought the opportune moment for the establishment of a permanent National Government, representative of the whole people of Ireland and elected by the suffrages of all her men and women, the Provisional Government, hereby constituted, will administer the civil and military affairs of the Republic in trust for the people.

We place the cause of the Irish Republic under the protection of the Most High God, Whose blessing we invoke upon our arms, and we pray that no one who serves that cause will dishonour it by cowardice, inhumanity, or rapine. In this supreme hour the Irish nation must, by its valour and discipline and by the readiness of its children to sacrifice themselves for the common good, prove itself worthy of the august destiny to which it is called.

Bigen12 is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    You don't need a link, its very simple. The protestant population of Northern Ireland want to remain part of Britain and are loyal to the British monarchy. The Irish catholic people of both north and south of the border want a free and undivided Ireland.

From what I've read around 94% of the population is Catholic.
    So if the British allow a free election they’ll be out in a heart beat?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigen12
    From what I've read around 94% of the population is Catholic.
    So if the British allow a free election they’ll be out in a heart beat?
    No, its not as simple as that. The protestant population in Northern Ireland hold a 1% majority, which is one of the reasons the war was so dirty. Ethnic cleaning was responsible for this and had the war gone on much longer the Catholics would have enjoyed a much great dominince, which is one of the reasons I said "at what price" earlier in the thread when I was talking about a continunence of the armed struggle. Put simply Catholics were killing more protestants, it was tit-for-tat. Kill one Protestant and a protestant group would kill a catholic and on it went, we (Catholics) just killed (murdered) more prods. Its a terrible way to fight a war and I'm glad thats behind us now.

The British hold no sway on the politics of the south (republic) and we have no vote in their (North's) politics.

Thanks.

No, its not as simple as that. The protestant population in Northern Ireland hold a 1% majority, which is one of the reasons the war was so dirty. Ethnic cleaning was responsible for this and had the war gone on much longer the Catholics would have enjoyed a much great dominince, which is one of the reasons I said "at what price" earlier in the thread when I was talking about a continunence of the armed struggle. Put simply Catholics were killing more protestants, it was tit-for-tat. Kill one Protestant and a protestant group would kill a catholic and on it went, we (Catholics) just killed (murdered) more prods. Its a terrible way to fight a war and I'm glad thats behind us now.

The British hold no sway on the politics of the south (republic) and we have no vote in their (North's) politics.

I've got ya,

So that could happen only in an united Ireland.

I've got ya,

So that could happen only in an united Ireland.
    Yes, it could only happened in a free and united Ireland.

http://news.yahoo.com/fc/world/north...eland_conflict

British Army Launches Base Cutbacks
    AP - 2 hours, 48 minutes ago
    BELFAST, Northern Ireland - The British army began closing or demolishing military installations in the Irish Republican Army's rural heartland Friday in a rapid response to the IRA's declaration to renounce violence and disarm. Soldiers started to dismantle or withdraw from three positions in South Armagh, a rebellious borderland nicknamed "bandit country," where soldiers still travel by helicopter because of the risk of IRA dissidents' roadside bombs.

http://news.yahoo.com/fc/world/north...eland_conflict

British Army Launches Base Cutbacks
    AP - 2 hours, 48 minutes ago
    BELFAST, Northern Ireland - The British army began closing or demolishing military installations in the Irish Republican Army's rural heartland Friday in a rapid response to the IRA's declaration to renounce violence and disarm. Soldiers started to dismantle or withdraw from three positions in South Armagh, a rebellious borderland nicknamed "bandit country," where soldiers still travel by helicopter because of the risk of IRA dissidents' roadside bombs.
    Certainly sounds like a positive turn of events, I need to read more on the subject in general.

3Vandoo is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    first, dont forget there alot of proddies in the IRA!

now, this is Bullshit and only affects the PIRA, or but the CIRA, TIRA will go on!

"our time will come!!!!!"

oh yeah

and no disarming for the loyalist eh!

people there more miltia and para units related to the loyalists than republicans

its bullshit

For your info. In work last night (bouncing job) not one person in the bar supported the move to totally disarm by the IRA. Some of the view's expressed where primarily that the protestant groups have not yet been asked to disarm and so we find ourselves in the same position we were in post: 1969. Other view's expressed were that we've now no protection from east European and Nigerian gangs. Alot of people simply don't trust the British & Irish governments.

Badgerman is offline Banned
    How could anyone not trust the British government????.......they love GW and freedom too......

CAUSASIAN is offline Banned
    You will miss something when its gone. Soon the IRA will realize this was a huge mistake, and will arm themselves again.

decadbal is offline Banned
    god bless the irish.. i hope none are lost in the mess that england has yet created again

3Vandoo, I thought you'd like this one. Its a takeoff of the Y.M.C.A. song..

3Vandoo, I thought you'd like this one. Its a takeoff of the Y.M.C.A. song..

lol

Thread Information