Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CAUSASIAN is offline Banned

Out Of Gaza And Into Jerusalem

Out Of Gaza And Into Jerusalem

Aug 20, 2005

By Lindsey Hilsum, Newstatesman

Ariel Sharon is a master of maneuvers, writes Lindsey Hilsum. While the world watches the withdrawal from Gaza, he is creating and expanding settlements in more strategic areas.

The feint is an old military trick - the general sends a section of his forces to distract the enemy, so the battalions heading for the real target meet little resistance. Watch out for the feint in the Middle East in the coming week. Television news all over the world will show dramatic scenes of Israeli settlers in orange T-shirts being forced to leave the Gaza Strip, in what Prime Minister Ariel Sharon calls a "painful sacrifice" for peace. Thirty-two thousand soldiers and police are being sent to remove 8,200 settlers, by force if necessary. Viewers will see Jewish settler women dragged kicking and screaming from land Israel has occupied since 1967.

But Sharon is an old general, a master of manoeuvres. While we are reporting the demise of the Gaza settlements, he is presiding over the creation and expansion of settlements in more strategically important areas, where few are watching. According to Israel's Central Bureau of Statistics, 3,981 new "housing units" are under construction in the occupied West Bank. At the same time, the Israeli government is building apartments and infrastructure on the outskirts of Jerusalem, to consolidate its hold over the city both Israelis and Palestinians claim as their capital.

The maps with this article tell the story. They show how a wall being built around a hugely expanded Jerusalem will thrust into the West Bank, almost dividing in two the main territory of any future Palestinian state. Palestinian neighbourhoods in Jerusalem are being surrounded by Jewish settlements, cutting them off from the West Bank and making it impossible for East Jerusalem to become a Palestinian capital. And while new Jewish settlements are under construction, some Palestinian houses in the heart of historic Arab East Jerusalem are threatened with demolition.

Prime Minister Sharon made a neat bargain with President George W Bush: Israel would withdraw from Gaza and, in return, the United States would formally accept that parts of the occupied West Bank which had been settled by Jews would eventually become part of Israel, should a Palestinian state ever come into being. A few "outposts" in the West Bank will be removed at the same time as Gaza, and others will eventually be dismantled, but the plan is to keep major population centres. Bush has said that expanding settlements in the Jerusalem area is not part of the deal, but the Israeli government is going ahead anyway, confident that in the end it will have its way.

After Israel was created in 1948, an armistice line, known as the Green Line, divided Israeli West Jerusalem from Arab East Jerusalem. In the 1967 war, Israel seized East Jerusalem and the adjacent West Bank from Jordan, which had previously had jurisdiction. While Israel occupied the West Bank, recognising that one day it might have to return the territory to the Arabs, it annexed East Jerusalem, arguing that not only had it won the city in battle, but also God had named Jerusalem as the sole and indivisible capital of the Jewish state.

A new report, The Jerusalem Powder Keg, by an independent think-tank on conflict, the International Crisis Group ( www. crisisgroup.org), charts how the Israeli government has gradually expanded the area defined as "Jerusalem". Now that the world is concentrating on events in Gaza, the city limits are being pushed back even further. The map on the following page shows how municipal boundaries drawn in 1993 encompassed newly built Jewish settlements, which many Israelis regard not as encroachments on occupied land, but as mere neighbourhoods in their capital, Jerusalem. The Israeli government is now going a step further, creating a "Jerusalem envelope", which will requisition another 60 square kilometres of the West Bank. This will include the rapidly expanding settlement of Ma'ale Adumim, and - it hopes - the corridor to the north-west known as E1, which links Ma'ale Adumim to the city centre.

Palestinian East Jerusalem is being surrounded by Jewish neighbourhoods. A contour map would show that most of them are on hilltops, looking down on the Arab areas below. The settlements cut off Arab East Jerusalem from the West Bank. Most significantly, the red line on the map represents a wall, the physical barrier of concrete blast blocks and razor wire that Israel is building to separate itself from the West Bank. Ostensibly, it is to stop terror attacks, but it will also create what the Israelis call "facts on the ground", a de facto new municipal boundary extending 45 kilometres into the West Bank.

According to Robert Malley of the International Crisis Group, "Current activity around Jerusalem to link up Jewish West Bank settlements to East Jerusalem will not only undermine chances for a viable two-state solution, but create an explosive mix that will imperil the very security Israel says it is trying to guarantee."

Roughly 200,000 Palestinians will remain within the Jerusalem boundary. A further 55,000 will be excluded. There are already stories of families that find they live on one side of the wall, while their place of work or children's school is on the other. Whereas driving between the West Bank town of Ramallah, north of Jerusalem, to Bethlehem, to the south, would take 20 minutes if you could go through Jerusalem, it will take at least an hour and a half on roads beyond the new wall. (That's not including the time spent at Israeli military checkpoints.)

The Israeli government says it wants to support the Palestinian president, Mahmoud Abbas, whom it regards as more "moderate" than Yasser Arafat. However, Jerusalem is central for the Palestinians, too, and Abbas is looking increasingly weak in Palestinian eyes as the Israelis consolidate their hold over the city. The alternative leadership is the militant Hamas and Islamic Jihad.

None of this is accidental. By unilaterally surrendering Gaza, Israel has seized the initiative, and bought itself international goodwill and time.

"We were stuck, so we decided to change the strategic equation," explained an Israeli general. Whatever the talk about the "road map to peace", after withdrawing from Gaza, there will be little pressure on Israel to negotiate on Jerusalem or anything else. The onus will be on the Palestinians to prove to the world that they can run Gaza. The Israelis will sit back and wait for them to mess it up. If the Palestinian Authority fails to stop Hamas from lobbing missiles into Israel, or if the factions fight among themselves in Gaza, creating a "failed state" before there is any Palestinian state at all, it will be more reason for Israel not to negotiate.

"The significance is the freezing of the political process," said Sharon's senior adviser Dov Weisglass, in an interview last year so frank that his boss tried to distance himself from the remarks. "When you freeze that process, you prevent the establishment of a Palestinian state and you prevent discussion about the refugees, the borders and Jerusalem. In effect, this whole package that is called a Palestinian state, with all that it entails, has been removed from our agenda indefinitely."

As the Gaza disengagement proceeds, the louder and more violent the protests by the settlers and their supporters, the better it is for Sharon. Rabbi Yoel Bin-Nun explained it to Israel's Haaretz newspaper: "Sharon needs national trauma to impress upon the Israeli public and the international community that it is impossible to do this again."

The Palestinians, and left-wing Israelis, hope that the settler movement will be undermined: that it will be "Gaza first", not "Gaza last". But Sharon has made it as clear as he can, without embarrassing his American friends, that the purpose of the disengagement is to secure the future of most of the 235,000 Jewish settlers in the West Bank and the 180,000 living in and around Arab East Jerusalem.

Watch the television pictures, and see Israel withdrawing from Gaza. Listen to the Israeli commentators, talking of historic events and the pain of abandoning the settlements. Then look at these maps, and it will all make sense.

Lindsey Hilsum is international editor for Channel 4 News. Copyright © 2005 Newstatesman.

You may kill those who wage war against you, and you may evict them whence they evicted you. Oppression is worse than murder - The Holy Quran

"Advise Dr. Herzl not to take any further steps in his project. I can not give away a handful of the soil of this land for it is not my own, it is for all the Islamic Nation. The Islamic Nation that fought Jihad for the sake of this land and they have watered it with their blood. The Jews may keep their money and millions. If the Islamic Khalifah State is one day destroyed then they will be able to take Palestine without a price! But while I am alive, I would rather push a sword into my body than see the land of Palestine cut and given away from the Islamic State. This is something that will not be, I will not start cutting our bodies while we are alive."

Sultan Abdul Hameed's refusal to see Theodor Herzl, founder of the Zionist movement

"We must use terror, assassination, intimidation, land confiscation, and the cutting of all social services to rid the Galilee of its Arab population."

Israel Koenig, "The Koenig Memorandum"

"I don't know something called International Principles. I vow that I'll burn every Palestinian child (that) will be born in this area. The Palestinian woman and child is more dangerous than the man, because the Palestinian child's existence infers that generations will go on, but the man causes limited danger. I vow that if I was just an Israeli civilian and I met a Palestinian I would burn him and I would make him suffer before killing him. With one hit I've killed 750 Palestinians (in Rafah in 1956). I encourage my soldiers to rape Arabic women and girls as the Palestinian women is a slave for Jews, and we do whatever we want to her and nobody tells us what we shall do but we tell others what they shall do."

Ariel Sharon, In an interview with General Ouze Merham, 1956

http://www.ipc.gov.ps/ipc_e/ipc_e-1/...icles-070.html

http://www.dailymirror.lk/inside/worldw/020405.html

Wake up Muslims before it is too late!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Out Of Gaza And Into Jerusalem-landloss.jpg  

MilitiaGuy is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CAUSASIAN

look at the pic and see why I call 'israel' a spreading cancer, the cancer was spreading in a fast rate but the sacrifices of the palestinian on a dality basis slowed down this cancer and made it shrunk , now all the muslims should help the palestinian to get rid of this cancer once and for all.

kis55 is offline Associate Member

Allah is truly watching over these righteous Jews to ensure that the heretic apostates pretending to be muslims do not spread their filth over this holy land.
    Allah (PBUH) shall maintain that Jerusalem remains united and free as it is now.

Insallah!!

juicehoe is offline Anabolic Member
    Why is Israel a cancer to muslims... do they oppress the muslims or do horrible crimes to them?

Quote Originally Posted by MilitiaGuy
    look at the pic and see why I call 'israel' a spreading cancer, the cancer was spreading in a fast rate but the sacrifices of the palestinian on a dality basis slowed down this cancer and made it shrunk , now all the muslims should help the palestinian to get rid of this cancer once and for all.

smokethedays is offline Veni, Vedi, Vici.
    Blog Entries
    "I don't know something called International Principles. I vow that I'll burn every Palestinian child (that) will be born in this area. The Palestinian woman and child is more dangerous than the man, because the Palestinian child's existence infers that generations will go on, but the man causes limited danger. I vow that if I was just an Israeli civilian and I met a Palestinian I would burn him and I would make him suffer before killing him. With one hit I've killed 750 Palestinians (in Rafah in 1956). I encourage my soldiers to rape Arabic women and girls as the Palestinian women is a slave for Jews, and we do whatever we want to her and nobody tells us what we shall do but we tell others what they shall do."

Ariel Sharon, In an interview with General Ouze Merham, 1956

http://www.ipc.gov.ps/ipc_e/ipc_e-1/...icles-070.html

http://www.dailymirror.lk/inside/worldw/020405.html
    maaan, that's fvckin' sick and disgusting.
    where is RAK_ANI, Mrs. AKA Ms. Principels and humanity

Quote Originally Posted by smokethedays
    maaan, that's fvckin' sick and disgusting.
    where is RAK_ANI, Mrs. AKA Ms. Principels and humanity
    Read Sharon's interviews in the 50's and 60's. He was a monster and a criminal and a terrorist, but now he still has the same thoughts, but knows he cant say it out loud, so he shuts up.

Once a monster always a monster. There can be no peace with the likes of Sharon and Netanyahoo.

kis55 is offline Associate Member
    Read Sharon's interviews in the 50's and 60's. He was a monster and a criminal and a terrorist, but now he still has the same thoughts, but knows he cant say it out loud, so he shuts up.

Once a monster always a monster. There can be no peace with the likes of Sharon and Netanyahoo.
    Sharon (PBUH) for freeing the Israeli's from the terrorist apostates of Gaza.

Insallah!!

Badgerman is offline Banned
    Sharon and Bush like to give it each other up the bung hole........

"Bend over......I'll drive you to Jerusalem"
    "Bend over......I'll drive ya to the ranch"

after the Iraq invasion things were unclear to me but now things are getting better USA agenda is failing in Iraq and the American army is on on the defensive now , Sharon is withdrawing from different part in Palestine and this is against hi ideology but he is forced to do it, sooner or later jerusalem will return to us.

GQ-Bouncer is offline Anabolic Member
    [B]If arab states hate Isreal so much, why dont they just invade Isreal with their armies?[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by GQ-Bouncer
    [B]If arab states hate Isreal so much, why dont they just invade Isreal with their armies?[/B]
    arab leaders are so corrupt and cowards to do it

zOaib is offline VET
    its okay i am form a country where we DROVE AND GENOCIDED the native american indians , to mere EXTINCTION , and the few hundred left were given reservations to stay put at and do whatever they want .................

i cannot expect morality or any sense from the people who live here with me , we only fight truth and rights in our land everythign beyond our boundaries is up for the taking ................

P.S and we are ISRAELs Zionist Macdaddy's biatch !

Quote Originally Posted by zOaib

P.S and we are ISRAELs Zionist Macdaddy's biatch !

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Wake up Christians, Jews and everyone else before its too late. Compare the lands Muslims currently occupy, now look at the mass mass of Israel. Who are the greedy, land grabbing people now?.

Islam is represented in Green, Israel in Red and the rest of us poor souls in Yellow.

Compare Israel with the size of America. It could fit into any US state. It represents less than 0.5% of the Middle Eastern land mass, but still Arabs want it!. Greedy Jews?.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Out Of Gaza And Into Jerusalem-isr-world.gif   Out Of Gaza And Into Jerusalem-isr-us1.gif  

Bigen12 is offline AR-Hall of Famer

Wake up Cauasian,

The only reason these maps show the demise of Palestinian land, is due to the aggression of the "peaceful" Arab neighbors of Israel....

In addition the only reason that there are any green areas left at all is due to the peaceful intentions of the Israelis

Quote Originally Posted by MilitiaGuy
    arab leaders are so corrupt and cowards to do it

Wrong!

They have tried on several instances, and have had their asses handed to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerman
    Sharon and Bush like to give it each other up the bung hole........

"Bend over......I'll drive you to Jerusalem"
    "Bend over......I'll drive ya to the ranch"

Please take your homoerotic rhetoric else ware.

Mesomorphyl is offline Smart Ass Member
    Quote Originally Posted by juicehoe
    Why is Israel a cancer to muslims... do they oppress the muslims or do horrible crimes to them?
    I also would like to hear an answer to this... Islam is allowed to be practiced so how is there oppression? And does the koran call any government oppressors.

Rak_Ani is offline Queen of Zion
    its okay i am form a country where we DROVE AND GENOCIDED the native american indians , to mere EXTINCTION , and the few hundred left were given reservations to stay put at and do whatever they want .................

What are you doing about it? Why are you still living in the US? Why don't you go back to your country of origin or move with your wife to Lebanon?

Quote Originally Posted by Mesomorphyl
    I also would like to hear an answer to this... Islam is allowed to be practiced so how is there oppression? And does the koran call any government oppressors.

Another relevant question would be, why were the Palestinians not asking for independence while under Egyptian and Jordanian rule? And why were they not crying to the world when they were killed by the thousands by Egyptians and Jordanians? Also, why did the Egyptians not want Gaza back when Israel gave Sinai? Could this have something to do with the "sympathetic feelings" and "positive view" of the Egyptians towards the Palestinians?

3Vandoo is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    there error in this map bouncer, some african christian countries are marked as muslim

zOaib is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Rak_Ani
    What are you doing about it? Why are you still living in the US? Why don't you go back to your country of origin or move with your wife to Lebanon?
    i was born here , i was raised here , heck my great great granfather was born here ................ i dont know anywhere outside this country , and its nothing wrong to be ashamed of some of the things your country has done, if u didnt know incase WHITES are not the only americans, america is a nation or immigrants , all race , color , religion, ............. maybe u want to tell the african americans who say " well i dont like GW " go back to AFRICA ..........................

i will stay here and spread the right sense as much as i can to whoever would listen to me , and i dont think anyone has the right to tell me where to GO !

gotcha babe !

maybe u want to tell the african americans who say " well i dont like GW " go back to AFRICA ..........................
    If it were only that easy...

JOKING

zOaib is offline VET
    i really dont care if there is a country called ISRAEL or not .................. what i care about is KIDS on both sides growing up to be fighters and killers , israel trains there kids at the age of 18 in the army , and palestinian kids learn to kill even at an early age .................

and this has basically become a core disput between only these 2 races .......... the rest of the muslim world i SPIT on , the extremists take this agenda up in their favour and do what they like doing best , the rest watch anyways ......... this whole bullshit has become sooo screwed up , that the only victims i see are the future generation of these people .............. and both sides are just barfing fire at each other .....................

this is one topic i hate talkign about , cause i have nothing against jews , or israel , BUT the astrocities both sides commit are equally EVIL , and i dont like it when the jews deny what they did was NOT OKAY and same for pallys ....... ADMIT u r wrong and maybe u can solve more problems .............

being a hypocrate is very unpleasant !

and same goes for the people of the USA , admit we have done some evil things and have the potential to do more , take criticism with an open mind , gettign pissed off isnt the solution ..............

zOaib is offline VET

BRAVO for Peaceful JEWS

RAK , if israel was soo considerate to show some humanity they could have left the buildings and houses built and given to the pallys , and which in turn could ahve changed many palestinains views about jews in general , but u said JEWS HATE PALESTINIANS as enemies , maybe if the jews ever had some heart they could have done something like this , BUT NO ................... israel is as EVIL as the opposing pallys ,

ADMIT it that israel did wrong to demolish gaza , and could have shown decency could have changed worldview , but looks like they care for nothing , if the DOG doesnt eat the grass HE wont let the COWS eat it either ,

i was born here , i was raised here , heck my great great granfather was born here ................ i dont know anywhere outside this country , and its nothing wrong to be ashamed of some of the things your country has done, if u didnt know incase WHITES are not the only americans, america is a nation or immigrants , all race , color , religion, ............. maybe u want to tell the african americans who say " well i dont like GW " go back to AFRICA ..........................

i will stay here and spread the right sense as much as i can to whoever would listen to me , and i dont think anyone has the right to tell me where to GO !

gotcha babe !

What's the difference between your claim to the US and my claim to Israel? My great grandfather too was born in Israel. I have a friend who is 7th generation in Jerusalem. What's the difference between your rights to stay in the US and her right to stay in Israel?
    What's the difference between your claim to the US and the settlers' claim to their towns? Many of them were born there too.

i really dont care if there is a country called ISRAEL or not .................. what i care about is KIDS on both sides growing up to be fighters and killers , israel trains there kids at the age of 18 in the army , and palestinian kids learn to kill even at an early age .................

and this has basically become a core disput between only these 2 races .......... the rest of the muslim world i SPIT on , the extremists take this agenda up in their favour and do what they like doing best , the rest watch anyways ......... this whole bullshit has become sooo screwed up , that the only victims i see are the future generation of these people .............. and both sides are just barfing fire at each other .....................

this is one topic i hate talkign about , cause i have nothing against jews , or israel , BUT the astrocities both sides commit are equally EVIL , and i dont like it when the jews deny what they did was NOT OKAY and same for pallys ....... ADMIT u r wrong and maybe u can solve more problems .............

being a hypocrate is very unpleasant !

and same goes for the people of the USA , admit we have done some evil things and have the potential to do more , take criticism with an open mind , gettign pissed off isnt the solution ..............

If you say I don't admit wrong done by Israel and don't have self criticism, then that shows you haven't been reading my posts through the time I was here.
    And before you speak against other people's hypocracy you should ask yourself how come you keep talking about Israel's wrong doing and have said nothing about the good action taken by Israel. For example, even when Israel carries out a one sided pullout from Gaza strip you fail to say something positive about the move and instead complain about it "costing the US money".

RAK , if israel was soo considerate to show some humanity they could have left the buildings and houses built and given to the pallys , and which in turn could ahve changed many palestinains views about jews in general , but u said JEWS HATE PALESTINIANS as enemies , maybe if the jews ever had some heart they could have done something like this , BUT NO ................... israel is as EVIL as the opposing pallys ,

ADMIT it that israel did wrong to demolish gaza , and could have shown decency could have changed worldview , but looks like they care for nothing , if the DOG doesnt eat the grass HE wont let the COWS eat it either ,
    Israel's humanity shows when Israel gives water to captured Palestinian terrorists instead of beating the crap out of them. It shows when IDF soldiers help old ladies carry bags (one has lost his life from a palestinian sniper when he was doing so). It shows when Palestinians are given jobs food and water, etc.
    The palestinians want their desert back, and they will get it the way it was taken. Can you even begin to imagine how horrible it is for a person to see those responsible for the murder of his child living in his home, and giving his dead child's room to their living child?? This is why the houses are being destroyed. The palestinians agreed to it. Israel did nothing wrong in demolishing the settlers' homes. These houses were built by settlers, and it's the settlers' right to decide what happens with them. No one can tell you what to do with your property. Don't tell others what to do with theirs.

but u said JEWS HATE PALESTINIANS as enemies

I did? Show me. Where did I say that?

maybe if the jews ever had some heart they could have done something like this , BUT NO ................... israel is as EVIL as the opposing pallys

Be careful Zoaib.

could have changed worldview

Any Israeli child will tell you - nothing Israel does will ever be good enough for the world. Can show me one example in the world where an agressor lost land in a war, and then got the land back without making any agreement or any promises to not attack again? No. Israel is the only country to do so, and still that's not good enough.
    It's ok to kick out Israeli Jews from homes they built, but God forbid the same will be done with Palestinians, right? Who's the hypocrite now Zoaib?

People make it seem that Israel did a big deal by withdrawing out of Gaza. Big Deal.

Only 8000 people were evacuated. A soccer stadium has 100,000 seats. And this media propoganda made it seem like moving 8000 people was a big "sacrafice", and the media made it seem like 2 billion people were being moved from their homes.

Gaza was home of 8000 Jews and 1.4 million Palestinians.

This Gaza pullout was nothing other than table scrap.

And Sharon keeps expanding settlements in the West Bank and Jerusalem.

People make it seem that Israel did a big deal by withdrawing out of Gaza. Big Deal.

Only 8000 people were evacuated. A soccer stadium has 100,000 seats. And this media propoganda made it seem like moving 8000 people was a big "sacrafice", and the media made it seem like 2 billion people were being moved from their homes.

Gaza was home of 8000 Jews and 1.4 million Palestinians.

This Gaza pullout was nothing other than table scrap.

Only 8000? How about we evacuate "only 8000" Arabs living in the Wadi Ara towns in Israel? Will you support that?

Quote Originally Posted by 3Vandoo
    there error in this map bouncer, some african christian countries are marked as muslim
    And Sri Lanka is a Muslim state in that map. Obviously another propoganda map.

And Sharon keeps expanding settlements in the West Bank and Jerusalem.
    And the Arabs in Israel are also expanding their towns.

Quote Originally Posted by BOUNCER
    Wake up Christians, Jews and everyone else before its too late. Compare the lands Muslims currently occupy, now look at the mass mass of Israel. Who are the greedy, land grabbing people now?.

Islam is represented in Green, Israel in Red and the rest of us poor souls in Yellow.

Compare Israel with the size of America. It could fit into any US state. It represents less than 0.5% of the Middle Eastern land mass, but still Arabs want it!. Greedy Jews?.
    This is Palestinians versus Israelies. Not the entire Muslim world against Israelies.

The map could have been used. If Israel had opened its borders, so Muslims other than Palestinians could have gone in and helped their Palestinian brothers.

Only 8000 people were evacuated. A soccer stadium has 100,000 seats. And this media propoganda made it seem like moving 8000 people was a big "sacrafice"
    The soccer stadium in Afghanistan holds that many, right? But they did not play soccer there, sadly they used it to killed thier people in the name of religion.

Had Israel not taken this land after a failed attack against her by the Palestinians, and the neighboring Arab states, I would agree with you.

However considering that this land was taken after the aggression of the Arabs, I think the Arabs are very fortunate to get the land back, and should be happy with that.

The land was desert before the Israelis developed it. Now that the Palestinians have it back, I doubt it will ever be anything but desert, littered with card board houses, not like the surrounding wealthy Arab nations are going to help.

To me the Arabs are like a bully who started a fight by trying to take a way another child’s toy, got there butt kicked and lost there own toy, and now are kicking and screaming to get there toy back.

Quote Originally Posted by Mesomorphyl
    The soccer stadium in Afghanistan holds that many, right? But they did not play soccer there, sadly they used it to killed thier people in the name of religion.
    They killed people in Afghanistan because they broke the law of the land.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information