Tock is offline Anabolic Member

Can you swear on a Koran in court?

Speaking of Fox News . . .
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,166307,00.html
    Debate Brews Over Use of Koran in Court
    Monday, August 22, 2005

VIDEO
    FREE FOX News Video:•Push for Koran in Court

GREENSBORO, N.C. — Traditionally, witnesses taking the stand in court are sworn in by placing their hand on the Bible.

But when Muslims in Guilford County, N.C., tried to donate copies of the Koran for courtroom use, judges turned them down.

Chief District Court Judge Joseph Turner says taking an oath on the Koran is not allowed by North Carolina state law, which specifies that witnesses shall place their hands on the “holy scriptures,” which he interprets as the Christian Bible.

“We’ve been doing it that way for 200 years,” he said. “Until the legislature changes that law, I believe I have to do what I’ve been told to do in the statutes.”

But the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) and the American Civil Liberties Union are challenging the Guilford County Courts.

“This was the first time that we had a judge … going on record and stating unilaterally what is a holy scripture and what is not — what we believe to be a violation of the establishment clause,” said Arsalan Iftikhar of CAIR.

Their case is solid, according to one Duke University law professor.

“I have absolutely no doubt that higher courts, if it gets there, will say that persons of Muslim faith can swear on a Koran rather than a Christian Bible,” said Erwin Chemerinsky. “The case law is so clear here that a person doesn’t even have to swear on a Bible to be a witness so long as they’re willing to promise to tell the truth.”

Click in the box near the top of the story to watch a report by FOX News' Jonathan Serrie.

----------
    also, see
    http://www.robesonian.com/articles/2...ws/story03.txt
    and
    http://www.wellschapel.org/Breaking_News_1.htm

CAUSASIAN is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tock
    Chief District Court Judge Joseph Turner says taking an oath on the Koran is not allowed by North Carolina state law, which specifies that witnesses shall place their hands on the “holy scriptures,” which he interprets as the Christian Bible.
    How can a person this stupid, have a Judge license.

MilitiaGuy is offline Banned
    Everyone should place his hand on his own holy book , the point of this is to make sure that the witness is not lieing so if its only the bible , a religious jew can put his on it lie and say whatever he want.

zOaib is offline VET
    i think its BS to begin with , swearing on HOLY SCRIPTURES , a person who is goign to lie will lie , and the one who will speak the truth will anyways , doesnt matter he places his hand on whatever .................. its a formality that is just soo retarded .

LIAR + HOLY BOOK = STILL A LIAR

TRUE PERSON - HOLY BOOK/+HOLY BOOK = STILL A TRUE PERSON

regardless !

max2extreme is offline Anabolic Member
    i agree with zoaib totally. but also, i see the judges point. Do you guys not? i imagine if im a judge, and muslims come with a quran. i mean look at his quote

“We’ve been doing it that way for 200 years,” he said. “Until the legislature changes that law, I believe I have to do what I’ve been told to do in the statutes.”

perhaps he overlooked that you dont have to swear on the bible (i didnt know you didnt have to, as long as you promise, but im sure a judge should know that) but to be able to swear on the quran or, what if an indian came in with the kama sutra, could they swear on that (it is one of their religious books), could they? I mean i dont know. and if id never experienced it, id probably had said no to anything but the bible or nothing too until i knew for sure, such as how he said. thats how i take it.

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by MilitiaGuy
    Everyone should place his hand on his own holy book , the point of this is to make sure that the witness is not lieing so if its only the bible , a religious jew can put his on it lie and say whatever he want.
    Explain that one please?.

Quote Originally Posted by BOUNCER
    Explain that one please?.
    what point in my post you didn't understand so I can clear it up ?

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by MilitiaGuy
    what point in my post you didn't understand so I can clear it up ?

I want to know how a religious Jew can lie like you said. You didn't explain how this works.

Quote Originally Posted by max2extreme
    i agree with zoaib totally. but also, i see the judges point. Do you guys not? i imagine if im a judge, and muslims come with a quran. i mean look at his quote

There's no error like a time-honored error.
    -Tock

captain chet is offline Junior Member
    I think hes saying if a religios jew swears on the christian bible, who cares if he lies, he doesnt believe in what he swore on anyways.

zOaib is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by captain chet
    I think hes saying if a religios jew swears on the christian bible, who cares if he lies, he doesnt believe in what he swore on anyways.
    same could be said about a muslim swearing on the bible , they dont believe its the correct book , so i dont think that really buffers the idea that lieing wouldnt be a problem , like i said its just a BS formality !

making such a big issue out of it shows the media is running out of new stories fast !

Mesomorphyl is offline Smart Ass Member
    Why swear at all... they are always saying seperation of church and state, even though it makes no refence of the sort in the constitution.

zOaib is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Mesomorphyl
    Why swear at all... they are always saying seperation of church and state, even though it makes no refence of the sort in the constitution.
    yeah ! i guess they forgot to take that out of the statues , OOPS !!!

Quote Originally Posted by BOUNCER
    I want to know how a religious Jew can lie like you said. You didn't explain how this works.
    I gave the jew as an example because from the 3 holy religions only the jews dont believe in the bible, muslims believe tht some scripts in the bible are wrong but in general they believe in the bible.

Well, on the subject of taking oaths, Jesus is quoted as saying in the Bible:

Matthew chapter 5:
    33": Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths:

"34": But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne:

"35": Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King.

"36": Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black.

I dunno why Christians don't bother to read the words of their leader and do what he tells 'em to do. Of course, if they were indeed "True Christians" they would.

-Tock

Badgerman is offline Banned
    What does Jesus have to do with Christianity anyway???........Christianity is a religion and a business........Jesus stayed away from both of those

Thread Information