Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jdawg50 is offline Anabolic Member

Schwarzenegger Vows Gay Marriage Bill Veto

Schwarzenegger Vows Gay Marriage Bill Veto
    Sep 07 8:56 PM US/Eastern

SACRAMENTO, Calif.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger announced Wednesday that he will veto a bill that would allow gay marriages in California.

Schwarzenegger said the legislation, given final approval Tuesday by lawmakers, would conflict with the intent of voters when they approved a ballot initiative five years ago. Proposition 22 prevents California from recognizing same-sex marriages performed in other states or countries.

"We cannot have a system where the people vote and the Legislature derails that vote," the governor's press secretary, Margita Thompson, said in a statement. "Out of respect for the will of the people, the governor will veto (the bill)."

Despite his promised veto, Schwarzenegger "believes gay couples are entitled to full protection under the law and should not be discriminated against based upon their relationship," the statement said.

"He is proud that California provides the most rigorous protections in the nation for domestic partners," it added.

The Republican governor had indicated previously that he would veto the bill, saying the debate over same-sex marriage should be decided by voters or the courts.

A state appeals court is weighing an appeal of a San Francisco judge's ruling striking down state laws barring gay marriages. Meanwhile, opponents of same-sex marriages are planning measures on the ballot next year that would place a ban on gay marriages in the state constitution.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/09/07/D8CFOOIO1.html

max2extreme is offline Anabolic Member
    that shows how good he is. no matter what the subject is, be it gay rights, illegal immigrant, whatever, hes going against his personal beliefs and voting how the people want him to vote instead. thats how it should be. he is there because of the people, for the people, to get the peoples voice heard. and thats what hes doing. very good.

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Y'know, if people REALLY wanted to strengthen and preserve marriage, they'd vote to do away with divorce.

If people REALLY wanted to live according to the Bible's views of marriage, they'd execute adulterers
    Lev. 20:10 And the man that committeth adultery with another man's wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbour's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.

Instead, these sanctimonious Pharasees are all about doing to gays what bigots did to inter-racial couples when they passed laws making inter-racial marriages illegal . . .

Ugh . . .

you know, i think all your gay comments tock, have always made the assumption that its just religious people against your lifestyle. Its not just religious people that are anti-gay. do you think that even half of the people that arnold represents are christian?? i dont think so.

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by max2extreme
    you know, i think all your gay comments tock, have always made the assumption that its just religious people against your lifestyle. Its not just religious people that are anti-gay. do you think that even half of the people that arnold represents are christian?? i dont think so.
    Most religious people are against them as their so called "holy" books are

If you are a good christian you should go kill all the adulteres then why dont you?? Didnt everything that god wrote is rite??? or was he drunk the nite he wrote that part ??

Mesomorphyl is offline Smart Ass Member
    How about keeping the state out of church affairs??? It seems they want to seperate church from state... Marriage licences are bullshit anyway, only good for taxes - If a union between two people is done in Gods eyes then that is good enough for me.

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Why do people care so much if gays marry? Doesn't affect me what so ever, what's the big deal?

zOaib is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    Why do people care so much if gays marry? Doesn't affect me what so ever, what's the big deal?
    i would have to agree with u there , its not like they can procreate in anyway , LOL !

so let them be happy by enjoining 2 in union ....

PaRiS2005 is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    I agree with you 100%. Church and state should always be separate. I commend him for this. As long as their not hurting anyone else, what's the problem? People should be able to show their love by making the commitment of marriage, rather than be shamed for it.

MASTERDBOL is offline Senior Member
    i'm not going to get all into the religious reasons or historical reasons or any other reason aside from the whole scene being absolutely revolting. i damn sure dont want to see two dudes making out in the park or anywhere else in public. nor do i want my children to see those disgusting acts. thats it. very shallow and self centered, but oh well. it makes me ill. bash me for it if you will. i'm a big guy....i can take it.!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MASTERDBOL
    i damn sure dont want to see two dudes making out in the park or anywhere else in public. nor do i want my children to see those disgusting acts.
    Me neither but do you want your children to see anyone making out? When my daughter was about 6-7 she saw a couple making out and was like "look at that!" I wanted to yell get a room. So I do not choose to associate with that lifestyle at all, but they are people too(man I am working on my compassion)

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    i'm not going to get all into the religious reasons or historical reasons or any other reason aside from the whole scene being absolutely revolting. i damn sure dont want to see two dudes making out in the park or anywhere else in public. nor do i want my children to see those disgusting acts. thats it. very shallow and self centered, but oh well. it makes me ill. bash me for it if you will. i'm a big guy....i can take it.!!!!

its easier for you to turn your head than it is for them to hide there lifestyle everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Mesomorphyl
    Me neither but do you want your children to see anyone making out? When my daughter was about 6-7 she saw a couple making out and was like "look at that!" I wanted to yell get a room. So I do not choose to associate with that lifestyle at all, but they are people too(man I am working on my compassion)
    i agree with you on that also. and have actually said "get a room".

Quote Originally Posted by johan
    its easier for you to turn your head than it is for them to hide there lifestyle everywhere.
    who cares if they have to hide their lifestyle. they chose it, i didnt. their relationships werent meant to be. otherwise our bodies would not be the way they are. do the math!!

who cares if they have to hide their lifestyle. they chose it, i didnt. their relationships werent meant to be. otherwise our bodies would not be the way they are. do the math!!
    man where not meant to pump gallons of testosterone into or bodies, to have 22 inch guns ect. We do alot of things we are not meant to do.

I understand your view but if I try to picture what it would be like to be gay I can imagine it would be hard and they realy dont hurt anyone.

I would hate not to be able to kiss my girl in public when I havent seen her for a long time or when Im leaving her after a visit. I would hate not beeing able to show affection where I want to. Just because people feel the need to dictate how others should live.

I didnt chose to be attracted to girls and I bet they didnt choose to be turned on by the same sex.

A little bit of tollerance would make the world alot better. I dont se the harm it could do. I mean its not like your kid would turn gay because he ses two dudes kissing.

BeerBaron is offline Senior Member
    i damn sure dont want to see two dudes making out in the park or anywhere else in public. nor do i want my children to see those disgusting acts. thats it.
    Ok, but what does that have to do with marriage? Gay guys don't have to be married to kiss.

youre right...they dont have to be married to kiss. but at the same time....allowing these marriages to occur, we are just accelerating the process of assimilating them into mainstream living. there is already plenty of wrongness in this country. we dont need anymore. imo.

Just a thing about homosexuality. In the roman empire it was not only allowed it was the comon thing and many said that the best sex is betwen men. So it seems like homosexuality is something that has always been around. I dont think its right to call it unatural because it seems to be a natural occurance in the human race.

But that creates the question. Does a open minded society "produce" more gay men or does a gay opposing society just make more people afraid of showing there true colors

mark956101957 is offline Anabolic Member
    We are not in the Roman empire and it is up to the Govenor to represent the people and I have to say and would even bet that a majorty is opposed to gay marriage here in Calif.
    Last edited by mark956101957; 09-08-2005 at 06:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mark956101957
    We are not in the Roman empire and it is up to the Govenor to represent the people and I have to say and would even bet that a majoirty is opposed to gay marriage here in Calif.
    absolutely right!

We are not in the Roman empire and it is up to the Govenor to represent the people and I have to say and would even bet that a majoirty is opposed to gay marriage here in Calif.

Not bashing but why does even people care so much about this issue?
    It is after all something that has zero effect on everyone except homosexuals.

Not bashing but why does even people care so much about this issue?
    It is after all something that has zero effect on everyone except homosexuals.
    and juice has zero effect on everyone except those using it, but it is still illegal. right?

and juice has zero effect on everyone except those using it, but it is still illegal. right?
    We are comparing illigal substances to gay marriage. My head hurts.

and that only makes my point more valid we all agree juice should be legal since it effects no one besides us. Peoples stupidity and baseless fears makes it illegal.

Im confused do you suddenly agree with me now?

I didnt agree with your statement to begin with. i believe that gay marriages affect the core of family values, etc. in a negative way. why not just teach our children that cross dressing is ok? or that white power organizations are just fine? it all goes to the fact these things arent right. none of them affect us physically, but at the same time it is bringing down all family values even farther than they already are.

I didnt agree with your statement to begin with. i believe that gay marriages affect the core of family values, etc. in a negative way. why not just teach our children that cross dressing is ok? or that white power organizations are just fine? it all goes to the fact these things arent right. none of them affect us physically, but at the same time it is bringing down all family values even farther than they already are.
    your family values are passed on by you and your family. Not by the laws of society. Im more worried about letting kids watch cartoon network than Il ever be about gay influence on society.

I think we just have to agree to disagree. My simple reason for wanting gay marriedge(how the hell is it spelled ) to be allowed is because it would mean a few more people in the world could take part in the joy and happines most seem to think marrige is. Me myself I dont give a rats ass about marridge realy. Its not holy or special or a great sign of love to me, just convinient legaly.

mark956101957 is offline Anabolic Member
    I agree with that. Marriage was originated for a man and woman to bond, and if they want to have a family. People are trying to take marriage and turn it into something it was never intended to be.

bignatt is offline Anabolic Member
    Its adam and eve not adam and steve

zOaib is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by bignatt

your family values are passed on by you and your family. Not by the laws of society. Im more worried about letting kids watch cartoon network than Il ever be about gay influence on society.

I think we just have to agree to disagree. My simple reason for wanting gay marriedge(how the hell is it spelled ) to be allowed is because it would mean a few more people in the world could take part in the joy and happines most seem to think marrige is. Me myself I dont give a rats ass about marridge realy. Its not holy or special or a great sign of love to me, just convinient legaly.
    I was going to respond, but I would have just typed almost exactly what you typed. I think we should get married johan

In a class I had at college we discussed gay marriage. I suggested that two men could get married not for any homosexual purpose, but to work as a team to save, invest, and take advantage of marriage tax laws and joint ownership of things. Just another way to look at two men getting "married", it's entertaining to me atleast to imagine a life such as that. Just a thought.

LMAO

We are not in the Roman empire and it is up to the Govenor to represent the people and I have to say and would even bet that a majorty is opposed to gay marriage here in Calif.
    Well, suppose the majority of people in Alabama or Mississippi were in favor of slavery? Should slavery be allowed in states where the majority of voters approve of it?
    -Tock

I didnt agree with your statement to begin with. i believe that gay marriages affect the core of family values, etc. in a negative way.
    How?

Seems to me that doing away with DIVORCE would do more to preserving marriage. Or enforcing laws against adultery (except that there aren't any such laws, because no one really cares about adultery! Only gays!)

why not just teach our children that cross dressing is ok?
    There are no laws against cross dressing.

or that white power organizations are just fine?
    They're stupid, and usually based on pig-headed bigotry, but there are no laws against such things.

it all goes to the fact these things arent right.
    In your opinion.

none of them affect us physically, but at the same time it is bringing down all family values even farther than they already are.
    How?
    I'd say that the lackadaisical, permissive, and dare I say, LIBERAL interest toward adultery and divorce in a country where half of all heterosexual marriages fail, and where irresponsible heterosexual parents abandon their children to pursue sexual fantasies with other heterosexuals, well, I'd say all this stuff affects families a lot more than what gay people do.

Of course, you probably disagree.

-Tock

Nope.

There never was an "Adam & Eve." The entire Book of Genesis was written by an anonymous person (or people) some years after the time of King David (after 1000 BC).

If you check what zoologists have discovered, you'll find that homosexuality occurs in a large number of animal species.

-Tock

Quote Originally Posted by IronFreakX
    Most religious people are against them as their so called "holy" books are

If you are a good christian you should go kill all the adulteres then why dont you?? Didnt everything that god wrote is rite??? or was he drunk the nite he wrote that part ??
    Most religious people definatly are. I am. But my point is that even if all the religious people actively let arnold know their view, it wouldnt be enough for a majority of the people. There has to be a lot of support coming from non religious people as well. yet all gays have it stuck in their heads that its just the religious people that make such pushes, when that is not the case. there are a lot of non religious groups and people who are also against homosexuality.

as for your 2nd paragraph, do a search on my name and covenant and I believe you'll get your answer.

Most religious people definatly are. I am. But my point is that even if all the religious people actively let arnold know their view, it wouldnt be enough for a majority of the people.
    Not really.
    http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=per...&cop=&ei=UTF-8
    America is largely a Christian nation
    Of the 85% of Americans with a Christian connection, Protestant groups make up about 49%, Roman Catholics 28%, Eastern Orthodox, Armenian and Polish National Catholics 4%, with the remaining 4% split between The Church of Latter Day Saints (Mormons), Jehovah's Witnesses, Unitarians and Christian Scientists. The largest and most prominent non-Christian group is the Jews, about 3% of the population. The Islamic and Hindu populations are growing due to immigration.

there are a lot of non religious groups and people who are also against homosexuality.
    Are you saying that these non-religious people are against homosexuality?
    And just who are these people? and how can you be so certain that these folks do not consider themselves Christian?

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    I am actually pretty surprised by this. I always thought that The Oak was a libertarian and social liberal at heart.

Isn't this the guy who, when questioned, shows support towards the right to abortion, drug use, and the profession of prostitution. In 2 of 3 all of us meat-head, Austrian Oak-worshipers know that he has, in good conscience, shown that he engages in such actions.

Let alone the fact that Californians, with their generaly laissez-faire veiw on personal lifestyle, would care less if gay marriage was recognized by the state government.

I ask, who is the governmnet to sanction marriage at all?

Why do we give them the power to "give us permission?"

**** that.

If I want to enter a contract that says I am married to my television, who is the government to object?

They have no authority over such a thing because such a contract means nothing.

If taxes were no implication, a contract called marriage would hold no legal meaning either. It is the State's usurpation of authority into the lives of individuals that gives such a contract meaning.

Get government out of marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by inheritmylife
    I am actually pretty surprised by this. I always thought that The Oak was a libertarian and social liberal at heart.

Isn't this the guy who, when questioned, shows support towards the right to abortion, drug use, and the profession of prostitution. In 2 of 3 all of us meat-head, Austrian Oak-worshipers know that he has, in good conscience, shown that he engages in such actions.

Let alone the fact that Californians, with their generaly laissez-faire veiw on personal lifestyle, would care less if gay marriage was recognized by the state government.

I ask, who is the governmnet to sanction marriage at all?

Why do we give them the power to "give us permission?"

**** that.

If I want to enter a contract that says I am married to my television, who is the government to object?

They have no authority over such a thing because such a contract means nothing.

If taxes were no implication, a contract called marriage would hold no legal meaning either. It is the State's usurpation of authority into the lives of individuals that gives such a contract meaning.

Get government out of marriage.
    well said well said

bignatt is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tock
    Nope.

There never was an "Adam & Eve." The entire Book of Genesis was written by an anonymous person (or people) some years after the time of King David (after 1000 BC).

If you check what zoologists have discovered, you'll find that homosexuality occurs in a large number of animal species.

-Tock
    dude it was a joke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information