Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
    Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer

Russia even been conquered?

Has Russia ever during its history been totaly conquered and defeated?

What makes that country so hard to defeat? It must something more than just the harsh winter. I mean are the russian people more prone to sacrifices or something?

I find it amazing that the 2 biggest warloards europe has ever seen both failed while beeing so close.

ticboy is offline Junior Member
    Russia has never really been totally defeated, thruout history large parts have been conquered by the Mongols etc but in terms of the entire Nation being conquered not to my knowledge.

I dont think that the Russian people are any less prone to defeat, in terms of historical precedent they seem to suffered there fair share.

In the battles of Tsushima and the Action at Port Arthur in 1904-1905 against the Japanese the Russian forces were decimated.

In the 1920's war with Poland and the War with Finland in the 30's the Russian forces were beaten time and time again by poorly equipped and outnumbered forces.

The early days of WW2 saw massive numbers of Russian Soldiers killed or captured between the 22nd of June to the 31st of December 1941 was in the vicinity of 2 700 000. I think the fact that the population of Russia being so large and the Weather stopping Hitlers advance to 40km short of Moscow, plus the fact Hitler was a fcuking idiot who had no real knowledge of warfare and kept changing the tactical and strategic aims of the campaign, ensured victory for the Russian nation.

Napolean was beaten exclusivly by the weather, the Russian army drawing Napoleans forces deeper into the interior of the country knowing that they were not equipped to deal with, and would not cope with the Russian winter with its -35 degrees celsius tempreture.

That said, as a people they certainly seem far more willing to put up with hardship and to be able to suffer huge casulties than an invading army.
    To put the losses into perspective, imagine if the US suffered 40-50% casulties in Iraq?

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    Napolean came the closest. He took moscow and the russians just retreated. They couldn't beat him in the field (despite a few victories) so they played the only cards they could. Russians throughout history have employed a slash and burn method ruthlessly. Before napolean could enter moscow, they set fire to it.

Hitler could have done it if he wasn't a megalomaniac and listened to his general staff. Lucky for us and the russians that he was so headset in his ways.

3Vandoo is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    cold, snow and winter can defeat anyone!

CAUSASIAN is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Vandoo
    cold, snow and winter can defeat anyone!
    Yeah, weather helps alot. Saudi Arabia has also never ever been invaded.

CAUSASIAN is offline Banned
    Almost all of Russia was occupied at one time.

The Golden Horde also known as the Qipchaq Khanate ruled a huge portion of Russia including Moscow for a while.

The Golden Horde was the unification of some large tribes whos leaders where the descents of Genghis Khan.

Also at the same time the neighbor state of the Golden Horde Khanate was the Khanate of the Ohriat, which was a state that included part of Russia, China, and present day Mongolia.

Here is the map -

http://map.huhai.net/54-55.jpg

The orange is the outline of the Golden Horde and the pink outline is the Khanate of Ohitar.

Thread Information