10-03-2005, 08:24 PM #1
This lady is a terrible pick. GW must have been under pressure from Who?
WASHINGTON – Harriet Miers, President Bush's nominee to the U.S. Supreme Court to replace Sandra Day O'Connor, is on record as supporting the establishment of the International Criminal Court, homosexual adoptions, a major local tax increase and women in combat, WorldNetDaily has learned.
Harriet Miers and President Bush
While some conservative leaders and organizations were stunned by the appointment, most were not alarmed by the lack of a paper trail by the nominee who has never served as a judge at any level.
But a profile of her positions as a leader of the American Bar Association, a Dallas city councilwoman and as presidential counselor is unlikely to ease the concerns of those who were expecting Bush to fulfill his promise to name a justice in the mold of Clarence Thomas or Antonin Scalia.
According to Elaine Donnelly, president of the Center for Military Readiness, Miers has taken positions as White House counsel that violate the law banning women in combat.
"As White House counsel, Ms. Miers either approved of the Department of Defense's illegal assignments of women in units required to be all-male, which is still continuing in violation of the law requiring notice to Congress in advance, or she was oblivious to the legal consequences of those assignments," she said.
Donnelly believes the actions of Miers could lead directly to a future court ruling requiring women to register with the Selective Service for the draft because they are now being, against the wishes of Congress, assigned to land combat.
"I am very disappointed by the president's choice," she said. "Ms. Miers does not have a judicial 'paper trail,' but her record as White House counsel is a legitimate cause for concern. Democrats and liberals who were willing to use the military for purposes of social experimentation have reason to be pleased."
Donnelly also concludes that Miers approved the Bush administrations retention of President Clinton's "don't ask, don't tell" regulations, which, she says, are different from the 1993 law passed by Congress
Meanwhile, during Miers long affiliation with the American Bar Association, she submitted a 1999 report to the ABA's house of delegates that included recommendations to develop and establish an International Criminal Court and the enactment of laws and public policy providing that the sexual orientation of adults be no bar to adoption of children.
Under the heading Family Law and subheading Adoption, the document states: "Supports the enactment of laws and public policy which provide that sexual orientation shall not be a bar to adoption when the adoption is determined to be in the best interest of the child."
Also included, under the heading International Law and Practice, is a recommendation for "the development and establishment of an International Criminal Court."
Click to learn more...
Along with the proposed agenda was a memo, dated Oct. 28, 1998, that explained the document.
"The Committee urges all Delegates to review this list for items of interest to their constituencies, and to act as the catalyst for further contact and action so that each entity will have the earliest opportunity for consideration and input."
The memo is signed by Miers as chairwoman of the Select Committee of the House.
As a city councilwoman, Miers also said Dallas had a responsibility to pay for AIDS education and patient services. And she courted the support of the Lesbian/Gay Coalition of Dallas in her successful 1989 campaign.
In addition, economic conservatives pleased by her corporate law background may find it distressing that in 1990 Miers voted for a 7 percent property tax increase during her short tenure on the Dallas City Council.
10-03-2005, 09:40 PM #2
sounds like she's a canadian liberal to me
10-03-2005, 10:30 PM #3
Sigh . . .
According to the US Constitution, the President gets to appoint anyone he wants with the approval of the Senate. If it was me, I'd nominate someone who had experience as a judge and had a good reputation, the same way I go looking for medical people and car mechanics. But it's not me, it's that idiot who got the US into a needless war and appointed more idiots into jobs like FEMA, and spent the US deeper into debt while giving tax reductions to rich people, and who is going to borrow money from the Chinese and Japanese and Arabs to pay for fixing New Orleans and the rest of the Gulf Coast and put the US further at the mercy of foreign governments. So, I don't have great expectations for his appointees.
Thank goodness we've got the US Senate to screen these nominees to make sure only qualified people smart enough for the job actually get approved. I hope they do their job.
10-04-2005, 01:28 AM #4
Worldnetdaily is NOT a news source, its a tabloid.
10-04-2005, 02:30 AM #5Originally Posted by CAUSASIAN
I know why you dont like it.
10-04-2005, 12:38 PM #6Originally Posted by books555
All these stories are exgerated, and are rumors.
10-04-2005, 01:31 PM #7Originally Posted by Tock
Right, thats why the outgoing supreme court justice was so bad. Because he wasnt a judge before being on the court.
10-04-2005, 03:01 PM #8Originally Posted by CAUSASIAN
Actually I have been using it for a couple of years now, I find it to be far more accurate than other new sites. I find out things much quicker, with far more accuracy. It is true that sometimes there is a essay article that does not find fullfillment in the future.
10-04-2005, 08:37 PM #9
nowdays people dont know what is accurate due to the twisted and biased media
10-04-2005, 09:27 PM #10
Miers is a part of gw's circle, not a judge. His press conference was such a joke I was actually laughing out loud. One of the reasons he listed for her being qualified are "She is from texas". I can not see why any one with a shred of reason would want her on our supreme court.
10-05-2005, 06:37 AM #11Originally Posted by BeerBaron
Like I said, Rehnquist had no prior bench experience and he was a great supreme court judge.
10-05-2005, 01:17 PM #12
How can anybody take such a bunch of nerds seriously anyway.
You think these elitist clowns represent you and I at all.
These people are jokes and should have to perform hard labor for people like US the rest of their lives.......this new bitch nominee can start by cleaning our toilets......then fold JDAWGS and MY underwear........then Iron BOUNCERS shirts.......then read Bible stories to BOOKS......
10-05-2005, 01:27 PM #13Originally Posted by Badgerman
You need to turn the off. Your not making much sense.
10-05-2005, 06:48 PM #14Originally Posted by roidattack
10-06-2005, 06:49 AM #15Originally Posted by BeerBaron
Shes an attorney who is a partner in a successful law firm. What other qualifications would you like?
10-06-2005, 03:32 PM #16Originally Posted by roidattack
10-07-2005, 12:51 PM #17Originally Posted by BeerBaron
10-09-2005, 05:31 PM #18
Why Miers?Originally Posted by BeerBaron
10-10-2005, 06:47 AM #19Originally Posted by Cylon
I love you hypocritical Dems. Clinton was a draft dodger but thats ok. Bush finished his duty according to his superiors at the time. Even if he did miss the last few months, does that make him worse than Clinton? What a joke.
10-10-2005, 06:53 AM #20
Bottom line.......She will not be confirmed!
10-10-2005, 06:58 AM #21Originally Posted by Mighty Joe
What are you talking about? Even most of the Democrats are saying she will be confirmed. They are going to try to make her look as bad as possible but she will be on the court.
10-10-2005, 08:00 AM #22
Republicans AWOL for Military ServiceOriginally Posted by roidattack
This is an eye-opener.
Subject: Who Served & Who didn't.
* Richard Gephardt: Air National Guard, 1965-71.
* David Bonior: Staff Sgt., Air Force 1968-72.
* Tom Daschle: 1st Lt., Air Force SAC 1969-72.
* Al Gore: enlisted Aug. 1969; sent to Vietnam Jan. 1971 as an army
journalist in 20th Engineer Brigade.
* Bob Kerrey: Lt. j.g. Navy 1966-69; Medal of Honor, Vietnam.
* Daniel Inouye: Army 1943-47; Medal of Honor, WWII.
* John Kerry: Lt., Navy 1966-70; Silver Star, Bronze Star with Combat V, Purple Hearts.
* Charles Rangel: Staff Sgt., Army 1948-52; Bronze Star, Korea.
* Max Cleland: Captain, Army 1965-68; Silver Star &Bronze Star, Vietnam. Paraplegic from war injuries. Served in Congress.
* Ted Kennedy: Army, 1951-53.
* Tom Harkin: Lt., Navy, 1962-67; Naval Reserve, 1968-74.
* Jack Reed: Army Ranger, 1971-1979; Captain, Army Reserve 1979-91.
* Fritz Hollings: Army officer in WWII; Bronze Star and seven campaign ribbons.
* Leonard Boswell: Lt. Col., Army 1956-76; Vietnam, DFCs, Bronze Stars,and Soldier's Medal.
* Pete Peterson: Air Force Captain, POW. Purple Heart, Silver Star and Legion of Merit.
* Mike Thompson: Staff sergeant, 173rd Airborne, Purple Heart.
* Bill McBride: Candidate for Fla. Governor. Marine in Vietnam; Bronze
Star with Combat V.
* Gray Davis: Army Captain in Vietnam, Bronze Star.
* Pete Stark: Air Force 1955-57
* Chuck Robb: Vietnam
* Howell Heflin: Silver Star
* George McGovern: Silver Star &DFC during WWII.
* Bill Clinton: Did not serve. Student deferments. Entered draft but received #311.
* Jimmy Carter: Seven years in the Navy.
* Walter Mondale: Army 1951-1953
* John Glenn: WWII and Korea; six DFCs and AirMedal with 18 Clusters.
* Tom Lantos: Served in Hungarian underground in WWII. Saved by Raoul Wallenberg.
Republicans -- and these are the guys sending people to war:
* Dick Cheney: did not serve. Several deferments, the last by marriage.
* Dennis Hastert: did not serve.
* Tom Delay: did not serve.
* Roy Blunt: did not serve.
* Bill Frist: did not serve.
* Mitch McConnell: did not serve.
* Rick Santorum: did not serve.
* Trent Lott: did not serve.
* John Ashcroft: did not serve. Seven deferments to teach business.
* Jeb Bush: did not serve.
* Karl Rove: did not serve.
* Saxby Chambliss: did not serve. "Bad knee." The man who attacked Max Cleland's patriotism.
* Paul Wolfowitz: did not serve.
* Vin Weber: did not serve.
* Richard Perle: did not serve.
* Douglas Feith: did not serve.
* Eliot Abrams: did not serve.
* Richard Shelby: did not serve.
* Jon! Kyl: did not serve.
* Tim Hutchison: did not serve.
* Christopher Cox: did not serve.
* Newt Gingrich: did not serve.
* Don Rumsfeld: served in Navy (1954-57) as flight instructor.
* George W. Bush: failed to complete his six-year National Guard; got assigned to Alabama so he could campaign for family friend running for U.S. Senate; failed to show up for required medical exam, disappeared from duty.
* Ronald Reagan: due to poor eyesight, served in a non- combat role making movies.
* B-1 Bob Dornan: Consciously enlisted after fighting was over in Korea.
* Phil Gramm: did not serve.
* John McCain: Vietnam POW, Silver Star, Bronze Star, Legion of Merit,
Purple Heart and Distinguished Flying Cross.
* Dana Rohrabacher: did not serve.
* John M. McHugh: did not serve.
* JC Watts: did not serve.
* Jack Kemp: did not serve. "Knee problem, " although continued in NFL for 8 years as quarterback.
* Dan Quayle: Journalism unit of the Indiana National Guard.
* Rudy Giuliani: did not serve.
* George Pataki: did not serve.
* Spencer Abraham: did not serve.
* John Engler: did not serve.
* Lindsey Graham: National Guard lawyer.
* Arnold Schwarzenegger: AWOL from Austrian army base.
* Sean Hannity: did not serve.
* Rush Limbaugh: did not serve (4-F with a 'pilonidal cyst.')
* Bill O'Reilly: did not serve.
* Michael Savage: did not serve.
* George Will: did not serve.
* Chris Matthews: did not serve.
* Paul Gigot: did not serve.
* Bill Bennett: did not serve.
* Pat Buchanan: did not serve.
* John Wayne: did not serve.
* Bill Kristol: did not serve.
* Kenneth Starr: did not serve.
* Antonin Scalia: did not serve.
* Clarence Thomas: did not serve.
* Ralph Reed: did not serve.
* Michael Medved: did not serve.
* Charlie Daniels: did not serve.
* Ted Nugent: did not serve. (He only shoots at things that don't shoot back.)
10-10-2005, 08:15 AM #23
You included Kennedy, the one that killed his secretary!!! You also forgot to include George Bush WWII fighter pilot. The rest, I will check out.
10-10-2005, 01:09 PM #24
Forgot to Include Bush Senior....
Sorry, I thought perhaps people would get confused with two Georges on the list..... But I am sure it does not take a rocket scientist to see the pattern!
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)