Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
    CAUSASIAN is offline Banned

Finally - Israeli court bans 'human shields'

Handcuffed Palestinian man is made to enter a building before Israeli soldiers during a 2003 search in Nablus.

JERUSALEM (AP) -- Israel's Supreme Court on Thursday banned the military's practice of using Palestinian civilians as "human shields" in arrest raids, saying it violates international law.

Human rights groups filed a petition in May 2002 in response to the army's use of Palestinian civilians in dozens of instances during West Bank arrest operations.

In August 2002, the court issued a temporary injunction against the practice. Human rights groups have said the military has repeatedly violated the ban since then.

In Thursday's final ruling, the court said the practice amounts to a "slide down the slope toward a severe violation of international law."

The army had argued that the practice should be permissible in some cases in order to prevent possible shootouts and bloodshed. Israeli hard-liners said the new restrictions would make it more difficult for the army to act against militants.

However, the three-judge panel said international law clearly prevents the army from using civilians in its military activities.

"No one among the civilian population should be 'volunteered' to cooperate with the army," wrote Judge Aharon Barak. "The central tenet is that it is mandatory to distance innocent local residents from the area of the hostile actions."

Israel's Justice Ministry said that the state would immediately act to implement the decision. The army spokesman would not comment.

The human shield practice became an issue in the spring of 2002, when the Israeli military carried out a major offensive in the West Bank in response to a series of suicide bombings by Palestinian militants.

During arrest raids, soldiers would sometimes force Palestinian civilians to approach the homes and hideouts of wanted people.

In August 2002, a 19-year-old Palestinian student, Nidal Daraghmeh, was killed in such an incident in the West Bank town of Tubas.

At the time, troops called Daraghmeh out of his house and forced him to knock at the door of a neighboring building where a senior Hamas fugitive was hiding out. Gunfire erupted and Daraghmeh was killed.

The Hamas fugitive later died in a shootout with soldiers.

Daraghmeh's mother, Mona, said Thursday that the decision re-opened the wound inflicted by the killing of her son.

"For me, this decision will not change anything," Daraghmeh said. "Perhaps it will be good for other mothers because for sure it will protect them from the bitterness that I have been living with since I lost my son."

Nidal Daraghmeh was the only "human shield" killed in an arrest raid. However, others have been injured in dozens of cases in which the army used Palestinians this way, said Marwan Dalal, an attorney for the Israeli human rights group Adallah that led the petition.

"This is an important decision, but we need to see if the military will abide by it," Dalal said.

Effie Eitam, an Israeli lawmaker and a former general, lambasted the judges.

"This ruling ties the hands of the army," Eitam told Army Radio. "The judges are cut off from reality since we are located in the center of the world struggle of terror groups against free and democratic societies."

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/....ap/index.html

decadbal is offline Banned
    hey, i have no problems with POWs being killed, or misused..

Quote Originally Posted by Decadbal
    Please learn to read.

Israel's Supreme Court on Thursday banned the military's practice of using Palestinian civilians as "human shields" in arrest raids, saying it violates international law.
    "No one among the civilian population should be 'volunteered' to cooperate with the army," wrote Judge Aharon Barak. "The central tenet is that it is mandatory to distance innocent local residents from the area of the hostile actions."

Quote Originally Posted by Decadbal
    I am sure you dont have problems with POW's being beheaded either right? You and Abu Musab Al-Zarqui would get along well.

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    The articule says the judge "banned" the military from using Civilians as human shields, but the articule doesn't state if this is offical IDF S.O.P.'s (to use humans as shields). If it isn't and individual soldiers are taking it upon themselves to practice this its for the Israeli military authorities to handle.

Either way its a good rule, for all sides in a conflict. In my capacity of a peace keeper in Lebanon I've been used as a human shield by the Hezbollah and Amal parties when they've used UN positions as shelter to fire into the Galilee (Northern Israel).

Worse case of this was in 1995 in a village in South Lebanon called Qana. The Hezbollah used the Fijian UN position to shelter behind and launch Katyusha rocket's into Northern Israel. The result was the IDF artillary positions in the P.V.'s (M'guy might know them) returned fire, killing 103 innocent Lebanese civilians.

Quote Originally Posted by BOUNCER
    Either way its a good rule, for all sides in a conflict. In my capacity of a peace keeper in Lebanon I've been used as a human shield by the Hezbollah and Amal parties when they've used UN positions as shelter to fire into the Galilee (Northern Israel).
    You say Hizbollah is a terrorist group.

And now your comparing Hizbollah to the IDF.

So you are comparing the IDF to a "terrorist group" which you call it.

You are coming to your sense.

Quote Originally Posted by CAUSASIAN
    You say Hizbollah is a terrorist group.

And now your comparing Hizbollah to the IDF.

So you are comparing the IDF to a "terrorist group" which you call it.

You are coming to your sense.

You stoned tonight?

Mesomorphyl is offline Smart Ass Member
    Picture clearly shows an arrest, the guy was made to face a corner or nitch in the wall so to speak... there is another soldier facing the camera BEHIND the so called sheild

Mesomorphyl is offline Smart Ass Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CAUSASIAN
    I am sure you dont have problems with POW's being beheaded either right? You and Abu Musab Al-Zarqui would get along well.
    This is the most compassionate thing I think I have ever seen you write. I do not agree with decadbal, guantanimo bay prisoners are not even under geneva conventions as POW's... Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Mesomorphyl
    This is the most compassionate thing I think I have ever seen you write. I do not agree with decadbal, guantanimo bay prisoners are not even under geneva conventions as POW's... Sad.

Full marks for observation.

Thread Information