Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
    transform is offline Associate Member

Members from/living in Ireland... 1916 commemorations planned again for Easter

http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/1021/fiannafail.html

Quote:
    The Taoiseach[head of the Irish government], Bertie Ahern, has announced that the military parade to commemorate the 1916 Rising is to be re-introduced from next Easter Sunday.

Mr Ahern said the parade would commemorate the Volunteers of 1916 and of the War of Independence and proclaim the republicanism of the people of this State

Mr Ahern also told the opening session of the Fianna Fáil Ard Fhéis in Killarney that the Government is establishing a 1916 Centenary Committee to begin planning for a major centenary celebration of the 1916 Rising in 11 years time.

After decades of having it suspended in the hope it would be seen as a gesture of friendship towards unionists and help reduce tensions in northern ireland, the government is re-introducing celebrations and commemorations of the 1916 Easter Rising, and are already taking steps to make the centenary in 2016 a major event.

I cant wait til easter
    Last edited by transform; 10-22-2005 at 03:53 AM.

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Great to hear that. I'm sick to death of appeasing Britain and the northern unionists. I hope Sein Fein play a major role in the celebrations.

decadbal is offline Banned
    congrats fellas...

BigLittleTim is offline Senior Member
    A Nation Once Again.

RockSolid is offline Banned

BigLittleTim is offline Senior Member

"At Swim, Two Boys"

Has anyone in here, either Irish or Irish-American, read Jamie O'Neil's novel "At Swim, Two Boys", about the year leading up to the 1916 Easter Rising?

It sets the tone of what Ireland must have been like during WWI, with the Defense of the Realm Act (DORA) and so many Irishmen away fighting the Hun in Belgium. England "Killing us gently with Home Rule". The Citizens' Army at Liberty Hall not always seeing eye-to-eye The Volunteers. The Gaelic League, and "Castle Catholics" in Dublin, and a Catholic Church that wasn't at all much interested in a free Ireland (The Priests was never known to back a horse but it was already at the winning post.) The memory of Jim Larkin, and the Shut-out, and Pearce ("The Uncrowned King of Ireland")
    "Strange how it is, the two greatest scandals of the century; Wilde and Pearce, and both of them Irish? It's good to know the Irish can still lead the world in some things."

The view from The Surgeons' roof in St. Stephen's Green of the fire that Helled all Dublin, The final surrender at the G.P.O. ("The General Post Office? At last, The Republic of Letters!") the "terrorists" were marched before the angry, spitting mob. How much of Ireland still felt itself British (and Dublin the second city of the Empire), and these men who would one day be hailed as the first heros of A Nation Once Again, were paraded like Christ on his way to Golgotha to be jeered at, and taunted, and reviled. Not a rising as anyone would have wished. "This country is not up. Only a fool would say the country was up." A rag-tag mutiny of patriots in Dublin setting up the tri-color, and the whole might of the British Empire ranging to strike.

The worldwide horror at the summary executions (DeValera was spared only because he held an American passport). Having to go through all this to learn how to hate the British Again. "We had forgotten to hate them, but we wouldn't forget again." And the civil war between the Free Staters and those who wanted to keep fighting for a unified island... There is so much, so well presented, so humorous, so proud. It is better than any history book could do the time justice.

Sorry about all that. I get carried away when I think of "At Swim"

The book is one of the best I've ever read about The Rising. I hesitate to recommend it to some of you because in the U.S. it has been marketed as a "gay" book, whereas I believe in Ireland, England, Canada, and Australia it was reviewed and much praised as an "irish" book.

I've read a thousand good books with a standard heterosexual love story in the plot somewhere. If you can make it through one with a gay love story (A Citizen Soldier and the scholar son of a Glasthule shopkeeper), this is one of the proudest, most heroic, and heart-breaking book about Ireland ever written.

Cheers,

BigLittleTim
    Last edited by BigLittleTim; 10-25-2005 at 03:06 PM. Reason: wrong word

Thread Information